Royal City Soccer Club

Royal City Soccer Club Employee Reviews

A fantastic summer job if looking to engage with children and stay active.

I had a wonderful time working at Royal City Soccer Club and my experience with management was more than fluent. I had no problems and they were very understanding of my requests for time off as well as my availability to work at a different location in the city.

Pros

Free lunches on fridays, engage with children every day

Cons

Long hours in the sun, protection from the harmful rays required.

Love being a camp counsellor, horrible company

The job in general is great, love working with kids. However the management is garbage they don’t help you whatsoever. Parents are constantly getting mad at you for lack of communication from head office. In Alberta you will be paid significantly under minimum wage. So it’s not worth it as you cannot support yourself off of it. You only get paid for 8 hours whereas you constantly will be putting in more and expected to put in more hours. Whenever you need help head office never helps, they don’t respond and leave you hanging for weeks. It has been a horrible and pointless experience due to the lack of support from management. Which is unfortunate because working with the kids is so great.

Pros

Kids

Cons

Everything else

Okay

I’ll start off with the pros. It’s a camp, so you know what you’re signing up for. I loved the kids and I liked how a lot of the kids stayed for weeks at a time. It was a rewarding job seeing all the kids. That’s the only pro- the pay is absolutely AWFUL. Maybe good for someone still in highschool- definitely not anything older. $400 a week was not worth it especially when most weeks I was working 45 hour weeks. If a kid doesn’t get picked up right at 5- you have to stay and you won’t get paid for that etc. Management is very dishonest and very disorganized. Training was in Burlington doesn’t matter if you’re not from there- you HAD to go& gas/ accommodations were NOT covered. It’s a mess right from the start. I do not recommend this job at all.

Great place for a summer Job

Great office job for a summer student.Lots of general admin tasks that prepare you for your career down the round. Time management is a big thing you learn here. Also being able to juggle different tasks

Environnement de travail stimulant

Les semaines étaient tous planifier de la même façon pour garde le rythme.

Pros

activité gratuite

Not a good place to work

They switch you from location to location, they ask you to be available all summer but will only employ you for a week or 2 at a time, management is rude, does not work with you, they will promise the world to the parents, not provide any resources to the staff, and then blame staff when it all goes wrong. Not to mention that they are sneaky and lie about who is in charge and why...

Pros

Working outside in the sun with kids & playing sports & swimming

Cons

Very bad leadership from management, you will be hung out to dry as the employee

Good for a First time Job

The experience is great overall, however if your looking for an easy summer job this can be easy, but very stressfull at the same time. They pay per week, so if your 18 or older you can be paid $400 a week, after taxes. If you work 35 hours or 45 hours there is no change. The kids are what make or break the camp. Good for a first time job, not so good for a person looking for more.

Pros

Experience, Easy interview, Easy Hire

Cons

Long hours, bad pay, change in schuedule on a day to day basis, plannning is dependent on the kids and weather.

Crazy summer job

I was a supervisor and from what I thought I was signing up for was completely different than what I got in reality. Way more work, lots of things were unplanned and I had to deal with a lot of problems that should have been taken care of before camp started.

Pros

overtime everyday

Cons

not enough staff

Fun and friendly environment

I enjoyed my time at Royal City Soccer Club a lot. I helped setup and run games for children aged 5-12 and other activities. I volunteered there for two weeks and found it very fun.

Fun place to work during summer

If you oove summer, soccer and to teach kids, this is the job for you. To be able to get paid while you teach a sport and play with kids it is amazing.

Enjoyed working with kids but management sucked

I love to work with children and enjoyed my supervisor (at my location). However, management was very rude and always unprepared. They were not understanding of my mental disability and was forced into going in many days when I really couldn't.

Pros

Experience with children, gain patience, leadership skill

Cons

management, working in heat, screaming kids all day

very disorganized and unprofessional

Working for Royal City Soccer Club proved to be harder then expected. The budget for each campsite was little to none and made working with the kids in a fun, and safe manor relatively hard. Having absolutely no indoor facility throughout the day unless to use the washroom was extremely difficult during the hotter days of the summer. The lack of care for staff was almost as shocking as the lack of attention to the campers themselves.

The worst company, STAY AWAY

The company makes it sound like you'll have a great time all the time and that it is a low-pressure environment. This is not the case. one thing to know is that there are almost no legal protections for summer camp workers! Staff are underpaid, and required to work regular overtime (minimum of 10 hours a day, no overtime pay) Wage worked out to approximately 13 dollars an hour when Alberta minimum wage is 15 dollars. Additionally, they are very stingy with supplies, which causes staff to feel guilty and provide things for the kids out of their own pockets. (for example, there were crayons and markers for kids to colour with, but a camp was only ever given 10 pieces of paper a week, which for a camp of 15 kids is not nearly enough) Make no mistake; summer camp workers are just extremely underpaid babysitters. I worked as a supervisor for them for 7 weeks, with nothing but positive feedback from the kids, parents, facility staff, and my staff. (feedback which I made very clear I would be more than open to) I repeat; I received only positive feedback, and parents in particular were extremely happy with my work ethic and how I went above and beyond to look after their kids. One day I sprained my ankle while at work, and that night I was let go. Other factors influencing this were that I had expressed in confidence to co-workers that I felt out of my element, having never worked in that kind of setting previously, and additionally, another supervisor was placed at my camp for that week, and decided he would lie about me to our boss to get my hours for himself. Regardless of the -

Difficult job with insufficient pay and long hours.

This job denied me a bonus due to missing 1.5 days of work throughout the entire summer due to illness. This on top of being paid below minimum wage and working 9 hour camp days was enough to drive me up the wall by the end of summer. Difficult management and too much work for too little pay.

Fun workplace environment

I enjoyed working at Royal City Soccer Club. It taught me patience, discipline, and organization skills when making weekly planners and dealing with kids full of energy.

Terrible company

Don’t work there it’s literally factory/telemarketing work. Apply if that’s what your looking for Lots of young people working there, very immature group of individuals.

Great place to volunteer/work

Royal City Soccer is a great place to develop many leadership and creative thinking skills. The job culture is amazing and everyone is very welcoming.I highly recommend this experience to everyone.

Soccer camp

This company provided very good pay and I enjoyed working there. Also I love soccer and being able to teach kids how to play the sport I love. Also I really liked my co-workers.

Pros

I get to do what I like

Cons

Absolutely horrendous place to work

Wow. As a student attending University, this job was an absolute nightmare. I was hired for my second year at Royal City (I only took the job because everything else I had set up fell through) and I was promised 8 weeks minimum with a nice $500 bonus at the end of the summer. I took the job, knowing I had a poor experience the past summer but the pay would look okay next to my tuition fees. Well, I got a call about two weeks before summer began saying "we overhired, and yes you signed the contract so we can give you a minimum of 4 weeks" I was devastated! I needed a stable income and this was not providing it. I tried to see the best in it and I showed up to camp the first week I was scheduled, just to be called again and told I had no more weeks to work. I was dumbfounded, but not just because I got ROYALly screwed over, but also because I found out 13 other individuals hired by RCSC in my area were experiencing the same situation. Oh, and as icing on top of the cake, the $500 bonus turned out to be less than a fifth of what was promised. The camp quality is incredibly sub-par with little to no effort going into the weekly themes, and the majority of head-office is so detached and absolutely unbothered by the actual grunt-laborers issues and dilemmas that it made communicating with any office employee (with the exception of one) impossible. The camp director obviously needs pointers on how to run a camp because every parent I talked to while working said that they found this camp to be sub-par daycare and little more. I hope that all young student-aged individuals looking -

Productive and fun Workplace

A typical day at work consisted of first waiting on the arrival of campers in the morning. After completing attendance, we would have the campers complete various soccer drills/games. At 12- 1 pm there was lunch. After we would play camp games, go to the recreational center pool, and then have time for the campers to play in the park. We would then wait on the parents to pick their kids up. The hardest part of the job was keeping the kids engaged in the activities we were doing. At times the kids wanted to do their own thing or sit around and not get involved. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing some kids make considerable improvements in their game. Some of the kids became better players throughout the camp, improving their passing, shooting and ball control.

Productive and fun workplace with soccer

It was a really good opportunity for me to volunteer which helped me get my community volunteer hours done for the high school diploma and it also helped me gain some work place experience.

Pros

Easy and Comfortable job

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal City Soccer Club. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement