Royal City Soccer Club

Royal City Soccer Club Employee Reviews

Canada61 reviews
Good for a First time Job
The experience is great overall, however if your looking for an easy summer job this can be easy, but very stressfull at the same time. They pay per week, so if your 18 or older you can be paid $400 a week, after taxes. If you work 35 hours or 45 hours there is no change. The kids are what make or break the camp. Good for a first time job, not so good for a person looking for more.
Pros
Experience, Easy interview, Easy Hire
Cons
Long hours, bad pay, change in schuedule on a day to day basis, plannning is dependent on the kids and weather.
Crazy summer job
I was a supervisor and from what I thought I was signing up for was completely different than what I got in reality. Way more work, lots of things were unplanned and I had to deal with a lot of problems that should have been taken care of before camp started.
Pros
overtime everyday
Cons
not enough staff
Fun and friendly environment
I enjoyed my time at Royal City Soccer Club a lot. I helped setup and run games for children aged 5-12 and other activities. I volunteered there for two weeks and found it very fun.
Fun place to work during summer
If you oove summer, soccer and to teach kids, this is the job for you. To be able to get paid while you teach a sport and play with kids it is amazing.
Enjoyed working with kids but management sucked
I love to work with children and enjoyed my supervisor (at my location). However, management was very rude and always unprepared. They were not understanding of my mental disability and was forced into going in many days when I really couldn't.
Pros
Experience with children, gain patience, leadership skill
Cons
management, working in heat, screaming kids all day
very disorganized and unprofessional
Working for Royal City Soccer Club proved to be harder then expected. The budget for each campsite was little to none and made working with the kids in a fun, and safe manor relatively hard. Having absolutely no indoor facility throughout the day unless to use the washroom was extremely difficult during the hotter days of the summer. The lack of care for staff was almost as shocking as the lack of attention to the campers themselves.
The worst company, STAY AWAY
The company makes it sound like you'll have a great time all the time and that it is a low-pressure environment. This is not the case. one thing to know is that there are almost no legal protections for summer camp workers! Staff are underpaid, and required to work regular overtime (minimum of 10 hours a day, no overtime pay) Wage worked out to approximately 13 dollars an hour when Alberta minimum wage is 15 dollars. Additionally, they are very stingy with supplies, which causes staff to feel guilty and provide things for the kids out of their own pockets. (for example, there were crayons and markers for kids to colour with, but a camp was only ever given 10 pieces of paper a week, which for a camp of 15 kids is not nearly enough)
Make no mistake; summer camp workers are just extremely underpaid babysitters. I worked as a supervisor for them for 7 weeks, with nothing but positive feedback from the kids, parents, facility staff, and my staff. (feedback which I made very clear I would be more than open to) I repeat; I received only positive feedback, and parents in particular were extremely happy with my work ethic and how I went above and beyond to look after their kids. One day I sprained my ankle while at work, and that night I was let go. Other factors influencing this were that I had expressed in confidence to co-workers that I felt out of my element, having never worked in that kind of setting previously, and additionally, another supervisor was placed at my camp for that week, and decided he would lie about me to our boss to get my hours for himself. Regardless of the
 - more...
Difficult job with insufficient pay and long hours.
This job denied me a bonus due to missing 1.5 days of work throughout the entire summer due to illness. This on top of being paid below minimum wage and working 9 hour camp days was enough to drive me up the wall by the end of summer. Difficult management and too much work for too little pay.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Royal City Soccer Club?
Fun workplace environment
I enjoyed working at Royal City Soccer Club. It taught me patience, discipline, and organization skills when making weekly planners and dealing with kids full of energy.
Terrible company
Don’t work there it’s literally factory/telemarketing work. Apply if that’s what your looking for

Lots of young people working there, very immature group of individuals.
Great place to volunteer/work
Royal City Soccer is a great place to develop many leadership and creative thinking skills. The job culture is amazing and everyone is very welcoming.I highly recommend this experience to everyone.
Soccer camp
This company provided very good pay and I enjoyed working there. Also I love soccer and being able to teach kids how to play the sport I love. Also I really liked my co-workers.
Pros
I get to do what I like
Cons
Absolutely horrendous place to work
Wow.

As a student attending University, this job was an absolute nightmare. I was hired for my second year at Royal City (I only took the job because everything else I had set up fell through) and I was promised 8 weeks minimum with a nice $500 bonus at the end of the summer. I took the job, knowing I had a poor experience the past summer but the pay would look okay next to my tuition fees. Well, I got a call about two weeks before summer began saying "we overhired, and yes you signed the contract so we can give you a minimum of 4 weeks" I was devastated! I needed a stable income and this was not providing it. I tried to see the best in it and I showed up to camp the first week I was scheduled, just to be called again and told I had no more weeks to work. I was dumbfounded, but not just because I got ROYALly screwed over, but also because I found out 13 other individuals hired by RCSC in my area were experiencing the same situation. Oh, and as icing on top of the cake, the $500 bonus turned out to be less than a fifth of what was promised. The camp quality is incredibly sub-par with little to no effort going into the weekly themes, and the majority of head-office is so detached and absolutely unbothered by the actual grunt-laborers issues and dilemmas that it made communicating with any office employee (with the exception of one) impossible. The camp director obviously needs pointers on how to run a camp because every parent I talked to while working said that they found this camp to be sub-par daycare and little more. I hope that all young student-aged individuals looking
 - more...
Productive and fun Workplace
A typical day at work consisted of first waiting on the arrival of campers in the morning. After completing attendance, we would have the campers complete various soccer drills/games. At 12- 1 pm there was lunch. After we would play camp games, go to the recreational center pool, and then have time for the campers to play in the park. We would then wait on the parents to pick their kids up. The hardest part of the job was keeping the kids engaged in the activities we were doing. At times the kids wanted to do their own thing or sit around and not get involved. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing some kids make considerable improvements in their game. Some of the kids became better players throughout the camp, improving their passing, shooting and ball control.
Productive and fun workplace with soccer
It was a really good opportunity for me to volunteer which helped me get my community volunteer hours done for the high school diploma and it also helped me gain some work place experience.
Pros
Easy and Comfortable job
Fun workplace
I enjoyed working with kids, the environment was nice and the people were great to work with.
Worst place I have ever worked for
Very little job security. You don't even know if you got hired until right before the job starts. The head office is very dishonest and the camps itself is very disorganized. The parents don't trust this company and the reviews for it are very low, its almost shameful to work for this place.
Pros
Cons
pretty much everything
Volunteer Soccer Coach
For the two months I worked here, the staff was really friendly and always allowed me to participate in drills with the kids and also allowed me to demonstrate some of them. I had a fun time!
Fun Workplace
Royal City Soccer Club was a great opportunity and I enjoyed working for them. The job is very consistent and easy to get into a routine. A fun work environment.
Worst job experience
You would be better to work for ANY other camp! Royal City Soccer is very misleading they don’t run a safe camp for campers or staff and no one in head office cares. The owner is a bully and threatens staff into doing what he needs them to do. Many times I was put in uncomfortable and unsafe situations I knew were wrong but because of bad management and the owner of Royal City Soccer if I wanted to keep my job there was nothing else I could do.

Kids were cute however not there for soccer and the parent complaints were a daily struggle because of issues with head office that we’re out of my control.
Pros
Kids
Cons
Ownership/management
Fun workplace
Enjoyed teaching children how to play soccer, enjoyed the diversity of different ethnicities of the campers. I was able to learn a little from different cultures by getting to know the campers.
Pros
Swim time in the afternoon
Cons
Stormy days we had to change everything
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal City Soccer Club. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3