Royal Canadian Yacht Club

Royal Canadian Yacht Club Culture reviews

Clear

prep chef

Great place, nice people and genuinely kind people. great energy. amazing environment. the people work really hard. and you will learn to be a cook if not a chef.

Pros

great experience

Cons

great experience

Love working on the island...

But management leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Free Lunch Easter Monday and your birthday off. Not sure if they still pay market but was very competitive when I was there.

Stay away from this place

Horrible management and the staff is greatly underappreciated. Everyone in this place is either a senior manager or a supervisor telling staff from different departments what to do and how to do it. The pay is low and there are no other incentives. To top it all there are way too many politics, meaning sometimes the right decisions cannot be taken for fear of upsetting a member or a senior manager. It is not worth it to go above and beyond since this won't get you anywhere.

Great place to work if you need money and are willing to work insane hours during the summer.

Great place to work if you need money, but must be willing to work sometimes insane shifts and hours (especially if you're in banquets). Great place to meet people and new friends, everyone is super friendly. On your feet a lot, so must be physically capable. Hardest part of the job are the hours and how much it physically takes a toll on you. Excellent summer job.

Pros

Staff meals are ok, supervisors and managers are super nice and approachable, very flexible hours

Cons

long hours, physically demanding

Positive place to work with a very professional management

All the servers, busboys are mostly there for one season only. It would be better if the Club provided with an opportunity for such personnel to work full-time with an opportunity to grow within the organization. That would allow good and hard-working people to stay for a much longer period with the organization. Overall, management is very professional, nice and polite. The workplace culture changes from year to year because 90% of people are always new.

Pros

Work on the island, fresh air

Cons

Snobby members

Fun and open environment

Great location with many opportunities for advancement. Great management and amazing supporting staff. 2 locations allow for a very nice change of scenery.

A great place for a summer job

I absolutely loved working as part of the Marine Yard at RCYC. The gentlemen I worked with were very wise, knowledgeable and encouraging. I learnt that I certainly would like to continue working in the Marine Industry and am inspired to learn and do as much as I can, even if it's not working with RCYC directly. I was hesitant to be the only female in a group of 15 men, however I have not only gained so much confidence in my abilities as a person but have gained some really great friends. Working on Toronto Island is very peaceful and allows a few relaxing moments on the commute to work.

Pros

Coworkers, Setting and Location

Cons

Wages

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Royal Canadian Yacht Club?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Canadian Yacht Club. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement