Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Employee Reviews

Canada200 reviews

policeofficercanadamemberpublicforceorganizationcareer

A lot of opportunities...also a lot of sacrifice.

This is a huge organization. There's a lot of rich history and tradition involved. Mounties take a lot of pride in wearing their red serge, Stetson and boots.This is an attracting factor... Applicant should keep in mind that there's far more to the job than the outward appearance. It is very rewarding but it is also very demanding. The divorce rate is exceptionally high. Staffing is not very accommodating. You sign a contract that says you will go where you are needed and they send you wherever they want. This is great in early years, not so much later in the career when many employees have family and children.The training is second to none and I think anyone with interest in law enforcement should consider the RCMP for at least a few years. It's also not a bad idea to have an exit strategy.

Pros

Training and development

Cons

Frequent moves and terrible work/life balance. Staffing is not accommodating.

Do not recommend this unit

Lack-lustre leadership, micro-managers, thinking outside of the box not tolerated. Public service employees not often listened to even though they say everyone is treated fairly/listened to.

Insights into Royal Canadian Mounted Police

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Good pay and benefits

Decent pay (now) but constant rotation of managers and coworkers. Good team work and experience. Poor overall morale due to chronic understaffing and negative public attitude.

Pros

Excellent work life balance (or well paid overtime otherwise); good benefits

Cons

Inconsistent management

Backwards thinking. Bullying

The RCMP is the most backwards draconian organization out there. Overworked and underpaid. Management will throw its members under the bus at any moment to advance. There are VERY few opportunities to advance or promote.

Great environment, but underpaid

A number of the projects I was involved with could not proceed as they could not get anyone to work for the low salaries. This is why I left.

Rcmp

Been a member of the RCMP for almost 20 years. The RCMP purports to support mental health and gender equality. It all looks good on paper but in reality you will only be a number and no one will care about you. To promote, you either need to have friends or be lucky. Really the process is not impartial. It’s who you know. The RCMP is a joke. We can see it in the media…. Federal investigations are slow and often lead to nowhere. Most employees want to quit or retire at 20 or 24 and a day. I don’t recommend it to anyone. It will leave you with PTSD from mistreatment from your colleagues or management.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Everything else.

Not a recommended career or organization

Incompetence and problem people are rewarded and/or moved along and made someone else’s problem. Management is generally in way over their heads. Advancement is nearly non-existent unless you’re BFFs with certain people. Everyone gets hosed on relocations and health benefits. Policies are extremely ambiguous so they can be interpreted against you. The work itself can be interesting but obviously hits max levels of stress. You’re pretty much guaranteed to develop PTSD at some point. Pay is decent if you’re willing to work lots of OT. Base pay is finally comparable to top municipal pay across the country. Bottom line: Wade very carefully into these waters as there are sharks everywhere. This is not what it appears and is certainly not for everyone.

Pros

Decent pay, interesting work, some very dedicated co-workers

Cons

Back-stabbing environment that rewards incompetence, dangerous career

Soul sucking organization

First off, a career in policing is difficult but very rewarding. It takes a special kind of mentality to do this job and I have no regrets regarding my career choice. I do regret the force I joined, being the RCMP. Members are overworked short staffed and work with the most outdated equipment in canada. Leadership is rare in this outfit. Most NCOs will hang you out to dry to earn a competency towards another promotion, and the commissioned officers are some of the biggest bullies in the force. There is no communication between street members and management. Trying to voice your concerns to the upper ranks will earn you a warning to shut up and fall in line or else. The health service offices do everything in its power to bully and force members with operational stress injuries out of the organization, while telling the rest they have their best interests in mind. Harassment is rampant, morale is at rock bottom, and the government has no interest in fixing the deep systemic issues within the organization. Aspiring officers, do yourself a favour and join elsewhere. The career is worthwhile, this organization is not

Pros

Lots of overtime due to extreme staff shortages

Cons

Rewards came from meeting challenges and not whining

A fulfilling career that i seized on opportunities. I worked my tails off. I didn't last 35 years because of pay. I stayed for self satisfaction of making a difference. The worse leaders are the ones that tolerated laziness and catered to the entitled cry babies. It got to be too many of those and I left.Its a tough job, know it going in - if you can't handle tough go somewhere else.

Pros

Pride and recognition because of hard work. Comraderies.

Cons

Started catering to colleagues that wouldn't work as hard, but who got the same rewards. Comradery started to fade.

Dedicated staff, but few opportunities for civilians to advance

There are a lot of very dedicated people working within the RCMP, who are extremely focused on doing their best to keep people safe. However, there are far more opportunities for members, as compared to civilians. There is little room for civilians to advance within the organization. However, this is where there is a lot of organizational knowledge and experience, as civilian staff tend to stay in one area much longer than members.

Pros

Meaningful work, sense of history, shared pride in purpose

Cons

Long hours, stressed and overworked staff

Not a good place to work. The organization does not care about work life balance.

The RCMP is a horrible organization that does not care about its employees. The organization regularly promotes people that are not qualified and have no business leading people during high risk situations. Members are required to work by themselves in dangerous situations with very little help.

Pros

Job security as they can’t find people to do the job due to poor working conditions and minimal pay

Cons

Bad schedule’s, bad wages for high stress work, incompetent supervisor’s that don’t provide support to the members

Too many detrimental changes!

The hiring process has been slurried! Not enough discipline asked of recruits. If you can past the egos then you have a leg up. Do your best for the community you are serving.

Pros

It had to be on your heart’

Cons

Family and friendships suffer.

Police Officer (Regular Member)

This job is very demanding and is only for those who are ready to commit. Its hard for those who have a family, as it takes away from family life. I left because I had to go to another province and me and my wife had a hard time adjusting.

Pros

Teamwork

Cons

relocation

Troubled Workplace

Writing this review to assist people in making an informed decision about working as a police officer with the RCMP. I have made several attempts at providing an appropriate and candid review however it is always rejected. My experience lacked any support from most coworkers and management. In fact, almost all interactions with supervisors involved some level of harassment. The depot treatment carried on in the field. There is an unreasonable expectation with regard to workload. Understaffed and overworked was the norm which led to burnout.

Pros

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, unreasonable expectations, harassment, burnout

Unfortunate management

Management and organizational downfalls in staffing and providing adequate resources for its members, leads to stress, over worked employees, resulting in burn out.They continue to demand more with less, and rely on staffing levels from decades ago to address growing modern problems.

Prison guard

My over all experience was great. We worked well with RCMP. There was a respect and collaboration between both departments. I worked on call parttime

Pros

Additional training every few months

Cons

No cons

Excellent workplace

I enjoyed working there, got to know the fellow officers that worked there in my reserve. Prisoners were easy to manage for most were just intoxicated people being sent to the drunk tank. Not often I guarded a Prisoner who broke the law and had to stay there for a long period of time. Working there was joyful for me.

Many opportunities for those willing to work for it.

Provides a stable job with good job security. Work can be very rewarding but can be stressful at times. The organization does not make employees move around the country as much as it once did.

Pros

Tight family bond with co-workers

Cons

Long hours occassionally, sometimes stressful and dangerous

Organisation out of the 18 century

18 century para military training and life. They own you you have no thinking power. Senior managers take no responsibility but receive large bonuses on your work.

Pros

Cons

An 18 century thinking bad management

Never enjoyed the experience at Depot

I never enjoyed the training at the academy. I have never seen so much discrimination or racism in an organization like this. The firearms Unit is known to be a Boiz club. I will never recommend a Minority, you will be judged based on the color of your skin. It is sad but true. Depot claims to have one of the best training in the World, the technology and training materials are 10 years behind. The most unfortunate part is that the Facilitators know how backward the training materials is but they can't do anything about it.

Pros

872 dollars bi- weekly for training

Cons

Discrimination on the highest level from the firearms Unit.

A great place to make a positive difference

For someone who loves a challenge while making a positive difference in the world, the RCMP is a great place to be. One must be ready to meet the demands of a paramilitary organization, but there are many opportunities to shine. Training is constant and work is variable according to the area to which one is assigned, but there is the opportunity of travel (locally, provincially, nationally and internationally), and one makes lifelong friendships in the process. The down side of the work is that policing as a profession is currently at a low point. Anyone wishing to enter this field must be prepared mentally and physically to deal with violent situations, be ready for controversy, posses a high tolerance to stress, and be prepared to come face to face with the worst in humanity. However, the rewards of providing an essential service to the community can also be like nowhere else.

Pros

Salary, good feeling when successfully dealing with people in difficult situations

Cons

Shift work, dealing with people in difficult situations, public opinion

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement