Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Employee Reviews

Excellent

Featured review

Royal Canadian Mounted Police selected this as a representative review
Phenomenal organization to work for. Had so many incredible amazing experiences. My career far exceeded all of my expectations. Very rewarding at all times.

Pros

Amazing experiences.

Cons

Sometimes really bad management.

Unfortunate management

Management and organizational downfalls in staffing and providing adequate resources for its members, leads to stress, over worked employees, resulting in burn out.They continue to demand more with less, and rely on staffing levels from decades ago to address growing modern problems.

Prison guard

My over all experience was great. We worked well with RCMP. There was a respect and collaboration between both departments. I worked on call parttime

Pros

Additional training every few months

Cons

No cons

Excellent workplace

I enjoyed working there, got to know the fellow officers that worked there in my reserve. Prisoners were easy to manage for most were just intoxicated people being sent to the drunk tank. Not often I guarded a Prisoner who broke the law and had to stay there for a long period of time. Working there was joyful for me.

Many opportunities for those willing to work for it.

Provides a stable job with good job security. Work can be very rewarding but can be stressful at times. The organization does not make employees move around the country as much as it once did.

Pros

Tight family bond with co-workers

Cons

Long hours occassionally, sometimes stressful and dangerous

Organisation out of the 18 century

18 century para military training and life. They own you you have no thinking power. Senior managers take no responsibility but receive large bonuses on your work.

Pros

Cons

An 18 century thinking bad management

Never enjoyed the experience at Depot

I never enjoyed the training at the academy. I have never seen so much discrimination or racism in an organization like this. The firearms Unit is known to be a Boiz club. I will never recommend a Minority, you will be judged based on the color of your skin. It is sad but true. Depot claims to have one of the best training in the World, the technology and training materials are 10 years behind. The most unfortunate part is that the Facilitators know how backward the training materials is but they can't do anything about it.

Pros

872 dollars bi- weekly for training

Cons

Discrimination on the highest level from the firearms Unit.

A great place to make a positive difference

For someone who loves a challenge while making a positive difference in the world, the RCMP is a great place to be. One must be ready to meet the demands of a paramilitary organization, but there are many opportunities to shine. Training is constant and work is variable according to the area to which one is assigned, but there is the opportunity of travel (locally, provincially, nationally and internationally), and one makes lifelong friendships in the process. The down side of the work is that policing as a profession is currently at a low point. Anyone wishing to enter this field must be prepared mentally and physically to deal with violent situations, be ready for controversy, posses a high tolerance to stress, and be prepared to come face to face with the worst in humanity. However, the rewards of providing an essential service to the community can also be like nowhere else.

Pros

Salary, good feeling when successfully dealing with people in difficult situations

Cons

Shift work, dealing with people in difficult situations, public opinion

Sistemic racism

Most men hate to see smart women working there. They dislike people from another culture, with an accent. Corporals are going whatever they want in training, they are not held accountable for their actions. Constant harassment, intimidation and bully is what you have to get used to, rain or shine. "Suck it and go" its what they expect from you. There are a few in a hundred, members that are outstanding and doing their best st everything. Unfortunately, only the ones who has power are seen as good.

Pros

Great learning tools

Cons

You're treated like a nobody all the time, unless you know or are related to "somebody" in the force.

Very challenging work. Usually not 2 days are alike.

I joined the RCMP at 19 years old. I matured very quickly. The training was fairly easy for a 19 year old. The most challenging part was the language barrier. I had a limited knowledge of the English language and my basic training was all in English. This turned out to be a great experience. I became proficient in the English language with a sort time. Investigations are a great challenge. Then rose through the ranks from cst to staff sergeant. I loved the supervisory work and the management of a group of police officers.

Pros

The sky is the limit in the RCMP. So many opportunities.

Cons

Work with the lowest class of human beings as clients; Especially When children are victims.

Jobs at Royal Canadian Mounted Police

See more jobs

Toxic workplace

Job had a lot of potential but no more. Individual police officers on the ground are great but management is malicious, self serving, and often disconnected from the reality of policing and refuses to keep up with the times. The RCMP teaches core values that are blatantly ignored by management and blames everything on paramilitary origin. Morale is low and this once great force is a shadow of its former self.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Toxic work environment

Old School

Needs to be revamped. They no lponger support the employees. They seem to take a knee jerk reaction to any complaints received without doing a thorough investigation. Rather ironic really.

Productive work place enviroment

Best place to work if you are starting our in your career. Staff is super friendly but extremely bureaucratic. Everything that needed to get done had to go through upper management.

Pros

Laid back

Cons

slow paced

A very challenging career

Expect to be scrutinized in all aspects of police work as it should be transparent; however this is a career only for those with strong skills in conflict management, high verbal and written communication abilities, flexibility, analytical strengths. Other skills can be developed.

Pros

Team environment, vast experiences

Cons

Numerous levels of responsibilities, night shifts

Excelent Career

No other career like it. Great opportunities for advancement in various areas of Policing. Strong sense of Pride and Achievemnt throughout my career with the Force.

Still filled with harassing officers

The RCMP has great people who serve the public every day. However the officers in charge of the RCMP still foster a work environment that is filled with harassment and bullies.

Toxic work environment.

The RCMP is a toxic work environment. It promotes favourtism and the old “girl” club now. They promote by gender and have never promoted by merit. If you are liked you will do well for a certain period of time. Once you fall out, they will find a reason to sewer you and your career. Management has no clue how to run a policing organization. It is so full of political interference that honest members cannot do their job. Now a days members are always looking over their back. Although management tell members they have 5heir backs, they do not. Members work for PROMOTIONS not for the good of society. The RCMP is the worst place I have ever worked. I would never recommend it to anyone. Sad.

One of the worst employers in Canada

The RCMP is a terrible employer. Poorly run, poorly managed and draconian work environment. Their safety record for Members is dismal as shown by the tragic loss of many members in the past 15 years. Management is promoted not based on abilities but by quotas and insider friends. RCMP work atmosphere is the worst I have ever seen in all of my years of work.

Toxic Culture of Upper Management Protectionism

THE RCMP has lost it's luster as an icon of Canadian culture. What was once a noble institution has become sullied, tainted, and corrupt due to the internal protectionism of upper management where they can "do no wrong", as well as the extreme overuse of internal reviews/codes of conduct with throwing their very best, caring, and hard working front-line police officers under the bus. They destroy lives, families, and futures with their internal attacks and throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Pros

pay/benefits

Cons

Everything else!

Tough job

It is a calling; a lifestyle - thankless work, underpaid. Mobility is a plus. Job security. Some fun aspects. Promotion opportunities available. Good people.

Volunteer position with RCMP

Fun and exciting hobby as a volunteer police officer. Training and uniform provided. Many different locations to work in for a variety of experiences.

Pros

Sense of purpose

Cons

Minimum requirements for volunteering annually

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9Job security/advancement