Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Employee Reviews

Canada175 reviews
Expect to be scrutinized in all aspects of police work as it should be transparent; however this is a career only for those with strong skills in conflict management, high verbal and written communication abilities, flexibility, analytical strengths. Other skills can be developed.
Pros
Team environment, vast experiences
Cons
Numerous levels of responsibilities, night shifts
Needs to be revamped. They no lponger support the employees. They seem to take a knee jerk reaction to any complaints received without doing a thorough investigation. Rather ironic really.
Best place to work if you are starting our in your career. Staff is super friendly but extremely bureaucratic. Everything that needed to get done had to go through upper management.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
slow paced
No other career like it. Great opportunities for advancement in various areas of Policing. Strong sense of Pride and Achievemnt throughout my career with the Force.
The RCMP has great people who serve the public every day. However the officers in charge of the RCMP still foster a work environment that is filled with harassment and bullies.
The RCMP is a toxic work environment. It promotes favourtism and the old “girl” club now. They promote by gender and have never promoted by merit. If you are liked you will do well for a certain period of time. Once you fall out, they will find a reason to sewer you and your career.
Management has no clue how to run a policing organization. It is so full of political interference that honest members cannot do their job. Now a days members are always looking over their back. Although management tell members they have 5heir backs, they do not. Members work for PROMOTIONS not for the good of society. The RCMP is the worst place I have ever worked. I would never recommend it to anyone. Sad.
The RCMP is a terrible employer. Poorly run, poorly managed and draconian work environment.
Their safety record for Members is dismal as shown by the tragic loss of many members in the past 15 years.

Management is promoted not based on abilities but by quotas and insider friends.

RCMP work atmosphere is the worst I have ever seen in all of my years of work.
THE RCMP has lost it's luster as an icon of Canadian culture. What was once a noble institution has become sullied, tainted, and corrupt due to the internal protectionism of upper management where they can "do no wrong", as well as the extreme overuse of internal reviews/codes of conduct with throwing their very best, caring, and hard working front-line police officers under the bus. They destroy lives, families, and futures with their internal attacks and throwing out the baby with the bath water.
Pros
pay/benefits
Cons
Everything else!
It is a calling; a lifestyle - thankless work, underpaid. Mobility is a plus. Job security. Some fun aspects. Promotion opportunities available. Good people.
Fun and exciting hobby as a volunteer police officer. Training and uniform provided. Many different locations to work in for a variety of experiences.
Pros
Sense of purpose
Cons
Minimum requirements for volunteering annually
There is no typical day, each is usually different. The police dispatches usually dictates your day plus your self generated work can change your day fairly quickly. At times it seems that the management has their own agenda, differing from your day to day work.
The work culture is fairly similar from detachment to detachment. The most difficult thing that I found was the internal politics. When it was a police officer's duty to catch the bad guy it was sometime made very difficult to do with the ever changing world of politics and due process.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the freedom it allowed each member to use their talents to pursue issues, the variety people and challenges each day. Keeping the neighborhood that I worked in safe and in a few cases, saving someone's life.
Written by a police officer in general duty with 2-3 years experience plus relevant past experience in mental health and law enforcement.

Serving in a middle size to larger size detachment with 75 + regular members

Your positing and location will affect your experience. For example in BC the RCMP does a lot of the policing outside of the Lower Main Land (fills in the gabs) and even in parts of the LMD (Burnaby, Richmond etc.). Your experience will be different if you are posted in a small 3 person detachment up north compared to a middle size or larger (75-100 + member detachment).

Cons: being away from home and loved ones, posted across the country, Colleagues (A type personalities) can be stressful and difficult to work with. Clients that "don't like you and don't like police", criticism from everywhere- colleagues, public and supervisors. Lots of forms to complete. Lack of time to complete follow up investigations and Crown reports. Pressure to perform. Taking that 4AM Domestic right before end of shift and your tired.

Pros: If you work hard you will be respected and rewarded. Advancement. Move around the country if this interest you. Different sections/ specializations. Pay is supposed to get better with incoming Union. Talk about mental health is more prevalent. Push for ongoing courses and in-house and online learning is continuous.

Overall, I've had a good impression and my colleagues and work environment have been positive and I’ve had a good exposure and learning experience in 2 + years. Sure it's not perfect but it's what you make it.
Provided me the opportunity to see the country, acquire meaningful training. Many many opportunities for advancement or career diversity, would not hesitate to recommend this career.
I work on contract with them. Efficient management, processing of invoices. They pay attention to my reccomendations and give me full authority to do the job.
After over 12+ years with the RCMP I am disappointed with the organization. I thought I was joining the best police force in Canada, but sadly I was not. At about year 6 you start to see how things run in the RCMP.

The good; history of the RCMP, with the coming union the management in Ottawa knows things better on track and they are at least trying to get our equipment up to date. We have nice horses.

The bad; The RCMP has no planning for equipment or training (our equipment is not very good, eg. our pistol went out of production in 1999 and we have no replacement for at least another 3+ years), it took multiple member deaths and inquiries to get us carbines, always short staffed, have slow outdated computers, promotion system flawed, little to no compensation when transferring and you loose money on your house (your screwed if you bought a house in Alberta in 2014 and are transfering), always a lot of hot air from Ottawa about how things are changing in the RCMP to the public but at the front line Constable level nothing changing but more forms to fill out, the RCMP has a 1800 number to for the public to complain about its RCMP members, policy on what to do for a investigation is impossible to find on the rcmp infoweb and not easy to understand when you do find it....and on and on

So bottom line, my advice is to join a muni force or join the RCMP for 2 years and jump ship to a better police organization.
An organization struggling to develop a strong, ethical leadership cadre.

It fails to recognize the mental health injuries it inflicts upon its own employees through harassement, bullying, and dysfunctional management. It needs to acknowledge that it’s business practices, management style and internal culture is causing more damage to their officers than what the officers face in the field.

In New Brunswick in particular, advancement and opportunity is not based on skill or abilities but rather, who you know and whether or not the Commanding Officer likes you.
You work with the police taking in drunk people assisting them when they needed it, easy place to work, no communication barriers, easy friendly people to work with
A typical day at work for a police officer involves a significant amount of stress. Police officers deal with people in crisis on a daily basis and these do take their toll on a person's psyche. In addition to that, even when one has stopped or prevented a crime from happening, police officers then face scrutiny which the large majority of Canadian citizens never face. Interacting with people is the best part of the job, even when the reason for our presence is not necessarily a pleasant one. Making even a small difference is someone's life is truly rewarding, at least from my point of view. The worst part of this job is having to tell someone that a loved one has passed away.
I enjoyed this job very much. Do I have any regrets working there? Absolutely not! I loved this job and I learnt a lot about myself working there. The only reason I’m not there is because there were a few calls that I could not let go of and decided to be a mother first.
Pros
Excellent pay, benefits and pension
Cons
Mentally, not an easy job
You are part of a family and you have brothers and sisters, not just coworkers. What you learn and apply in this field prepares one for any type of challenges. Best place to work with the best management.
Always changing working dynamic. Supporting colleauges. Casual contract, they work with my schedule. Not a bad place to work at all. Security Clearance took a while to obtain.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Our community is ready to answer.