Royal Canadian Mint Employee Reviews

Great place
Senior Quality Assurance Technician (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg MB8 June 2018
I have learned a lot here at the mint. They are more than willing to help people who care and show initiative to make themselves and the company a better place
Struggling through scandals
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 May 2018
RCM seems like it would be a great place for career-oriented individuals, however, the immediate culture between management and staff is pretty corrosive.

Millions of dollars are wasted yearly. Projects brought to 90% completion and aborted. Reason: new managers didn't care to understand or assess existing work. Managers that have no useful expertise or experience in the specific area that they are impacting. It's truly sad that high turnover means constant course-corrections and very little achievement or value to the business.

The RCM is also plagued with incessant reorgs. This is a great excuse to explain why targets aren't being met or that projects are taking longer to deliver. It hides the incompetence of upper management as they seem incapable of setting on an org structure that works.

On a different note, the employees are great. Dynamic and always willing to follow their leaders, no matter how fickle they may be, to get the job done.

RCM pays well. On that, no one can reproach them. There is also a bonus structure in place.

However, managers get their bonus if 65% of quota is met, whereas union employees only get their bonus if 85% of quota is met. This should be the other way around. Employees do what you tell them to do. They do it well and are always willing to follow direction from leadership.

If leadership fails by making bad bets, implement poor strategies, or sets sub-optimal direction, then they should bear the brunt of poor performance against quota. Employees do what they are told to do.
Not the hard working employees' fault
  more... if products aren't flying off the shelves because leadership has no clue what the market wants and are spitting in the wind for bearings.

You can also get some decent training as they are committed to professional development.

Recommendations include making leadership accountable for delivering value (or lack thereof) for their investments. Project cancellations and lost opportunities should be addressed.
Pros
Good pay, bonus structure, good people
Cons
bad culture, incompetent leadership, unfair bonus structure, rework, sudden direction changes, and incessant reorgs
Awesome opportunity
Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 February 2018
This was my first real job. It is a great place to work as you learn a lot about coins. Eventually, I wanted to do something else and quit but for someone who wants job security and benefits, this is the place.
Pros
Great salary and benefits
Cons
Shift work sometimes 12 hours
Good place to work with full benefits
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 January 2018
It,s a good place to work,people are friendly and had a good teamwork.Management provides all the necessary tools to all the employees to be more productive.Complete benefits for the permanent employees.They provide work uniform and work shoes for free.They provide free training to the employees who is willing to learn and apply to other department.The hardest part of the job they always change the work instructions that made us confused especially for the temporarily workers that works on and off.Royal Canadian Mint had an annual meeting with free big breakfast to all the employers.
Pros
free coffee
Positive work experience
Operator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 November 2017
Show up work go home, all with exciting and challenging work days that make you better at what you are doing.

Great leadership and support I highly recommend the Royal Canadian Mint as a place of employment.

Benifits, pay, time off, Unionized, Management, co-workers. all of which are amazing
Pros
amazing place to work
Cons
no cons
Productive Work Place With Good Pay No career advancement
Senior Numismatic Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 October 2017
Overall well managed with good pay. however career advancement option are very limited. Lack of support for low level employee, frequent job cuts, lack of communication between management.
Hostile workplace
Plater Operator and Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 October 2017
Hostile Workplace, was assaulted by upper management. Would not recommended anyone work for this employer. Please understand this really did happen.
Pros
no punch clock
Cons
Hostile workplace
Fast changing requirements for work force
Temporary Helper, Shipping Department (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 October 2017
very structured environment, staffing requirements changed daily.
Hardest part of job was not knowing how long there would be work and how long layoffs would last.
Pros
wages
Cons
frequent layoffs
Very very tense atmosphere and very unstable
Senior Manager, Acquisition and Direct Marketing (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 October 2017
Loved my work and my boss was great, was suddenly laid off which led to subsequent layoffs that now likely number in the thousands. Almost everyone I know is now either laid off or on stress leave. It's a real mess over there. Such a shame.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
1000s of layoffs with more coming, no direction, no vision
Great summer job for students
Student Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 September 2017
Great pay and amazing experience. Gets you comfortable with customer service and public speaking. I would not be fluent in French without this job. Gives you an idea of marketing and sales techniques.
Pros
Great experience for your resume
Cons
On your feet all day
good company
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 July 2017
8:00 to 5:00 shift. I learned how to operate an overhead crane and a coining press. Great management. Great staff and easy to get along with. Was a good place to work.
Pros
good staff
Cons
high security
Highly repetitive and numbers oriented workplace
Temp shipping/helper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 May 2017
Days to evenings shift work can get annoying. It's ok, as they pay well. Very competitive and "everyone for themselves "type of attitude with coworkers. Everybody wants that elusive "permanent" job as you can be a temp worker forever. Lots of standing as you do your work and everyone is running around trying to be the boss's best worker. High security requires you to go through airport style security every time you leave the work area. Annoying as you cannot wear a watch, rings or anything metal. Some people who you think have been there for 15 or 20 years (by looking at them and by their attitudes) have actually been there for 3 or so years. Does the work environment take that much of a toll on you?
Pros
good pay
Cons
shift work, standing for 7 hrs a day, prison like feeling due to high security details
Good job and workplace cukture
Dynamics AX Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 April 2017
A crown corporation that is a good workplace. Secure, good pay and benefit.
Enterprise IT system and government workplace culture.
Very good working experience
Productive places
Helper in the Shipping/Packing (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 December 2016
I love working there but due to injury i can't lift much of anything now and i have since transfer to inactive duty because of my injury and return to school to assist future work
Cons
Long hours and varing shift heavy lifting
Great Company!
production planner (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 May 2016
Enjoyed my time working at the Mint. Mostly was a summer student but even still was made to feel at home. When I worked my few regular contracts I was a strong part of the team I worked with and felt I made positive contributions. I never felt out of work or excluded from group work etc.
Pros
Great cafeteria, safe working environment
Cons
Noisy in the plant, often high paced/ stressful
Great place to work. Something new to learn everyday.
Supervisor-Christine Lavallee (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 March 2016
Many different areas to work in so were assigned a different job daily. Alot of great people and helpful management. Enjoyed learning so many different areas of the minting of so many coins.
Pros
Celebration lunches for goals acheved
Production of coins for Canada and other countries
Helper (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 December 2015
great co-worker and fun workplace. learn new things making coins from start to finish. working with coin and seeing different design at the end . shift work
Temporary workers are nobodies
Shipping and Handling (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 December 2015
Worked there for two years as a temporary worker with promises of full time positions.

Had one opoortunity to apply for a full time position.

They lay off temporary workers to bring in new staff.

No, I mean absolutely no care in the world for temporary workers.

They found out i took another job, because i need to survive, they let me go.

The letter states:
Temporary employees are expected to be reasonably available for work to deal with unexpected and temporary increases in operational requirements.

1st, why do you lay us off, but hire replacements while we are laid off...

2nd, I have a home, i have bills, so i have to find work elsewhere. You cant expect people to live below the poverty line for your operational convenience,
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Not enough work for temporary workers, unorganized management
Strong team spirit within teams
R&D STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 September 2015
Fun work place, not your typical government office. So much fun within team members (if you're an outgoing person), occasional lunch outing and even bowling or other team building activities.
Pros
Team lunches and other outings
is not fun working there
Shipping & Packing (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 September 2015
to much favoritism for some people ,especially by family.I worked on a temporary basis,
since 2009 I seen many Irregularities in contracts that are always are for relatives or friends of headquarters.
benefit I have nothing , then how I can say that is good to work there if never I will have a contract or full time there and now they send me home lay off short time of work.and hire 25 people to work there.
Royal Canadian Mint depends on the federal government
Pros
good payment
Cons
no job security