Royal Camp Services

Canada104 reviews

Clear
3.4Pay & benefits

It’s an okay job

Wish managers were more professional but food and kitchen stuff was great house keeping stuff there is bully’s groups of girls that like to pick on others and I got ahold of placement team and one of the recruiters about getting my job back and of course no one has contacted me since and I’ve seen a girl get fired and a month later be back at the same camp but the office team is very helpful when at camp for the most part and if the manager working does not like you you are going to know and have more work then anybody else pay is also really good

Pros

Foods good

Cons

No benefits

15 December 2021
If you had re-applied for work and did not hear back please check your spam folder for our email response.

Great company

Worked for them for three years and a half, never had a big issues, pay is good, people are friendly, some management are okay but no biggie i just do my own thing, some camps are drama tho not a lot but every company has it anyway.

Pros

Travel pay, free food, accomodations

Insights into Royal Camp Services

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

For being new in the environment the people were friendly and and patient

The work environment was good had lots to learn but excelled very fast with the help of the supervisors in each department I would like to return to work for royal camps if was asked

Pros

Food was excellent and free living

Cons

Long travel 16 hours

Busy! But fun and relaxed environment

Being an admin, I think that the work life balance is excellent as management is accommodating. During the busy season you are busy and self motivation is required. I think that we are paid fairly but the benefits could be better. Office location doesn't have bussing which can be difficult if you dont drive. They have gotten better at advising when changes occur in the company but could still be improved.

Pros

Hours, salary, atmosphere isnt toxic

Cons

Benefits, lack of communication about the co

Fast paced, long rotations

I liked working camp, you meet tons of great people and your weeks fly by. This job is perfect for people who don't want a life outside of work your typical rotations are 21 days on with 7 days of so 75 percent of your time will be out at camp working 12 hour shifts everyday not recommended for anyone who cant be on their feet all day long!!

Pros

Free food and room board, good pay checks

Cons

Benefits suck, being away from loved ones, long days

Not what it’s look like

This company is full of bluff .. full of empty promises. They care about themselves only. Super unsafe environment at work.. the camp I worked has a very bad accommodation for staff.. lots of stress and pay is minimum. Benefits are also the lowest level one. Being working for this company for such a long time, no increment at all. But actually they reduce your money if you go to different sites.. but of course their favourites always get raise.. no problem.. just keep looking for new job

Pros

Free food

Cons

Very thing

Management is unprofessional, communication poor

There is a lot of confusion in the management, like who is responsible for what. Also poor or no communication between management and employees. The vehicle fleet is old (a lot of them over 400,000 km) and in some cases not safe. Issues that drivers point out do not get addressed, or get addressed very late.

Pros

Free lunches but no time to eat them.

Cons

Long hours and no breaks (except for fuelling)

5 August 2020
Thanks for your feedback. Before every trip our vehicles are inspected by our transportation team for safety concerns and performance reliability. We do not and have not asked our transportation team to compromise on any safety concerns related to our fleet vehicles.

great people

This is an amazing place to work for but with the COVID-19 happening there is no room for raises as of yet. They try to keep everyone working as much as they can but depending on the camp your in there are a lot of restrictions. Face mask and other ppe, as well as cut hours for right now. This particular camp has you on a 12 hour schedule but your have a non paid 2 hour lunch break which takes away a lot of your overtime.

Fairly decent place lots of.good staff

Overall it was pretty good work life balance could have been.a.bit better and communication wasnt the.best at times advancement was decent but training could have been.more

Pros

Good staff to work with free food and lodging

Cons

Short turn arounds at times lack of training

Excellent Staff & Team, Poor Managment

Worked with Royal for over 2 years. Some of the hardest working cooks in the industry. Employment contract does not line up Labor Standards, No raises, barely any compensation for traveling to remote locations, long term staff leave due to lack of appreciation, & lack of proper financial compensation for the workload. Would highly not recommend.

15 January 2020
Thanks for your feedback - it is good to hear you had great co-workers while at Royal.Our compensation rates are highlighted for all new hires through an offer letter and employee orientation. We appreciate the time it takes to travel to our remote sites, and for that reason our travel pay compensation is greater than the requirements outlined by labour standards.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Royal Camp Services?

Awesome people

Love the job but not enough hours to make a decent living, 85 hours in a two week period would be ideal. Im currently looking to fill the void or change jobs that will at the very least pay the bills

Pros

good people

Cons

not enough hours

6 June 2019
Thank you for the review. The remote camp & catering industry is seasonal and contract based and there is often a slowdown in available work each Spring.

People not very friendly

At one time it was a good place but there's alot of backstabbing and lies for people to steell your job was there for 15 years so much for dedication get called at last minute

Pros

Free meals

Cons

Long hours sometimes let with short staff

5 April 2019
We appreciate the 15 years you invested in Royal Camp Services Ltd and would encourage you to express interest in future openings.

Great co-workers

The days are long and sometimes the rotation is too but the people that I worked with were great. It can be a bit stressful at times but there is always a manager available to talk to.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Long days

21 January 2019
Thanks for your feedback highlighting the great people you worked with!

Great team!

Always been great to me! Flexible scheduling, Family first attitude and Great Field support from management and lead hands. Transportation was a drag but that's the ONLY downfall.

19 July 2018
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Royal Camp Services employee experience.

fun work place

it's a great for work experience. and to those who enjoy travelling, throughout the summer and fall seasons. Staff is extremely friendly wages are more than great.

Pros

Great views year round

9 March 2018
Thank you for your review and mentioning the great staff at Royal Camp Services.

when its good its good, but when its not........

It just depends what straw you draw. Some camp managers are out to prove something and will make all other employees lives hellish and the head office doesn't do anything because the "camp manager" is the end all be all.(Some of the biggest losers are camp managers) I ve seen more employee turn over with this company than any other. No raise was offered had to fight for it. 12 hour shifts (not including lunch) were timed and watched (not that a person had time or else you didn't get your rooms cleaned before the workers got home). Like I said about the straws, you could get a good one and end up in the middle of nowhere with 8 rooms to clean and that's your day.

9 March 2018
Thank you for your feedback. Due to the variety of clients and contracts fulfilled service delivery requirements can vary from site to site. Employees should expect to work at a steady pace throughout their shift.

Overall good

We would work long hours, almost 15 to 16 hours a day sometimes! I've learned to work long hours, as well as learning how to deal with inventory. Management where great.

Pros

Breaks when needed

Cons

Long hours!, Away from home

camp attendant

Great money actually. I would net $3500/month. Getting to the camp was always interesting as the buses would break down or you're crammed into an 11 passenger van with 13 people and luggage.

Pros

money, free meals

Cons

12 hours a day 3 weeks in 1 week out

10 April 2017
Thanks for your review. It is unfortunate that you may have experienced issues travelling to remote site locations. We have recently upgraded our staff transport vehicles in order to make travelling to site more enjoyable.

Poorly run company and does not value field staff

This company was one of the worst I ever worked for. They are cheap, don't care about their staff, unless you know someone there, and have alot of unprofessional chefs and some cooks too, and their camp managers are unprofessional. I got off the bus once at one of their big camps up at Cenovus and the Royal Camp Manager, said "welcome back suckers", before we even got off the bus. How's that for a positive attitude from management. And the benefits are not very good, wait til you try and claim something. And have a real good look at that dental plan before you head to the dentist, it doesn't cover what most basic plans do. And thier placement guy is not with it at all. if you don't believe me, go work for them and you will see. They don't have good groceries either, unless your at a Cenovus site and then its a little better, and the money. I would bypass this company unless your desparate, and don't even bother with the GP division, its run even worse. They break alot of health and safety stuff and alot of their kitchens are not clean.

Pros

they pay 12 hours a day in any position

Cons

see below

wonderful company to work for

Loved working for this company, they really worked to accommodate us in any situation, although the pay scale was lower than some comparable camp work it was an enjoyable experience

Loved the people and the environment, BUT I could not sustain the 14+ hours of driving everyday. Met many interesting people and made some new friends

Pros

lots of overtime

Cons

extremely long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Camp Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement