Royal Camp Services Management reviews

never return phone calls
Cook Helper (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2018
All your replies where you tell people to call HR are unfounded!!!!...I work for Royal to this day and the only way you get a return call is if you keep bugging them,,even then it doesnt matter,,,unless you are in "the click" as mentioned
The promises that are made are plain BS just in order to get "the job done"
I am looking for other job and when I leave I will be happier than .....
21 September 2018

Our HR team’s goal is to return missed calls from employees within one business day.

For employees who are available for work but not on a regular rotation our Placement Team’s goal is to respond to message within 24 hours. Employees are expected to check-in at least once per work week.

HR may be contacted for significant employee issues which could require additional follow-up time in order for an internal investigation to be completed.

Royal Camp Services values all employees’ feedback. If we are unable to meet our response time goals, as outlined in our Employee Orientation handbook, please follow-up directly with the HR Manager to discuss ways our response time can improve.

terrible
Remote Chef (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 September 2018
terrible place to work highly political and very unprofessional
unable to ever get regular hours and was swapped around on position and pay with out permission
7 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. All new employees have the opportunity to review and sign off on their hired position(s) and wage rate(s). If there is a performance mismatch for a hired position, requiring either a promotion or demotion to a more suitable role, the new position and wage rate is communicated to and signed off on by the effected employee.

Great team!
Chef de Cuisine (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2018
Always been great to me!
Flexible scheduling, Family first attitude and Great Field support from management and lead hands.
Transportation was a drag but that's the ONLY downfall.
19 July 2018

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Royal Camp Services employee experience.

kitchen
Second Cook/Sandwich Maker (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB19 April 2018
i find this work enviroment is a safe work place and good quality food to serve. and management is awesome to work with. i love the steak nights,my day at work was fast pace and fun.
Pros
free food
Cons
long hallways
20 April 2018

Thanks for your positive feedback on our safe work environment, food quality, and management.

Days at work were often not taken seriously.
Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 January 2018
Working for Royal, the office management had very poor communication skills with each other, the different offices, and co-workers. Often times, I had witness turn-around's to pick up employees that had been forgotten (often added to out-bound lists last minute.) I would be scheduled to go into work, and on the day of departure, I would be told I was not needed. Camp Managers requests aren't taken into account, from the office, for employees to return, orders, or very serious maintenance issues.
Royal's placement office, and the bus drivers, often do not have great communication. Which often falls on the backs of employees when leaving and coming to work.
The most enjoyable part of my employment with Royal, was the other co-workers, and camp managers.
Pros
Free gym, free meals, good accomodations
Cons
Lack of communication, poor management ethic
9 March 2018

Thank you for the feedback and comments. Rotations are based on client levels and camp site requirements which may fluctuate with no notice. Ongoing work at any particular camp is not guaranteed, and staff may be moved between camps as needed. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your co-workers and camp managers.

Overall a good company
Head Camp Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2017
Structured , extremely safety conscious, they are always willing to provide any necessary training and provide amazing support for a new worker .Generally the head office management group are very good,however with some of the selections of field camp management can at times be improved at times
Pros
Free travel to work
Cons
Heavy workloads
29 November 2017

Thank you for your review highlighting our safety and training commitments.

Productive work place
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2017
Typical day at work was stocking up all the drinks, cleaning up the dining room in between meals, putting away food orders, and helping the cooks prep food. The management at my camp was awesome and fun to work with, whenever there was time we would all go outside and have a micro break, which always consisted of friendly jokes and witty banter. The hardest part of the job was probably when we had a big ticket item on the menu such as prime rib, we would get other camps residents trying to get in to our dining hall, which was not allowed and made it more difficult to serve the people we were supposed to. The most enjoyable part of the job was the micro breaks with the crew.
Pros
Free food
29 November 2017

Thank you for providing details on what your day to day job in camp was like.

Short Lived
Kitchen General Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2017
This was my first Camp Job I'm disappointed it didn't last very long. It is what it is I guess I made some decent money and friends but didn't enjoy switching camps often and having to relearn everything.
Pros
Money, Friends
Cons
Very little training, constant site changes, indifferent management
2 November 2017

Thank you for your review. Our staff may be moved between lodges to respond to client needs, or in an attempt to find the best job / site / culture fit for an employee.

ok
First Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2017
I don't have much to say about royal camp as I found them to be very clicky and they did not have very qualified people .. they took the camp managers point of view only into consideration
22 September 2017

We appreciate your feedback. At Royal Camp Services the Camp Manager is responsible for the operations of the entire site and the health and safety of all workers. If you would like to share thoughts on a situation handled by a Camp Manager please contact the HR Manager at 780-463-800.

Treat their staff horribly
Chef, relief chef, 1st cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 August 2017
I would never work for or recommend anyone work for this company. They mistreat their employees grossly and encourage unsafe practices. Good experience but the company sucks
2 August 2017

Thanks for your feedback. It is unfortunate you had a negative experience. Royal Camp Services’ standardized and comprehensive procedures ensure equal treatment of employees while providing a safe work environment. Please contactd Royal Camp Services’ HR department if you would like to discuss specific concerns.

A joke
Chef (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2017
The positive reviews here are either out to lunch or fake - Royal is an absolute joke of a company. Everything is as cheap as possible. Pay is horrible. The "workplace culture" is one of rewarding the lazy, the incompetent, and the conniving. There is no such thing as a confidential conversation with your superior. Decisions appear to be made by spinning a wheel. It's apparently even cheaper now than it was. Don't work here - preserve your dignity.

I lost all trust when they continued to have us serve contaminated bottled water to the clients (a cheap High Level product of water - bottles were found with grease smears inside, algae growing...every bottle tasted different and all bad. There was no other option for drinkable water.)
Pros
I learned what a bad camp company looks like
Cons
So cheap, scotch tape was rationed. Seriously.
29 May 2017

Thanks for your feedback. Royal Camp Services has a vigorous food safety program with standards above provincial requirements ensuring our staff and clients can have full confidence in our meal and drink offerings. We strive to create a workplace where employees are able to succeed and enjoy coming to work. Our success is shown by the large number of long-term employees employed and our ability to retain the same seasonal staff year after year.

Good Company. No issues.
General Helper (Former Employee) –  Pink Mountain, BC25 May 2017
Was a basic Job helping in kitchen with cleaning and front of house with stocking. The staff were nice and fun to be around. There was never an issue with management and the quality was good for the food. Pretty good place to work but not the best pay in the industry
Pros
Money and good atmosphere.
Cons
Being away from the city.
29 May 2017

Thank you for your feedback and discussing the lifestyle challenges associated with the position. In order to alleviate staff concerns of being away from home Royal Camp Services provides fantastic site amenities such as private rooms for employees, a gym, Wi-Fi internet access, and satellite television.

Overall good
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Alberta20 May 2017
We would work long hours, almost 15 to 16 hours a day sometimes! I've learned to work long hours, as well as learning how to deal with inventory. Management where great.
Pros
Breaks when needed
Cons
Long hours!, Away from home
Camp life is great....
Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Northern Alberta3 April 2016
Cenovus camps were, in my opinion, well managed and employees treated with respect and dignity by field supervisors. Overall, I enjoyed the experience of working in a Cenovus camp., Nothwithstanding, the usual small cliques and juvenile politics of a few colleagues, most people were friendly, open minded and enjoyable to work with.

Office management and HR were, in my experience, very unapproachable, hypocritical, closed minded and biased in resolving conflict when situations did arise. I strongly suggest not depending on office management or H/R to support you.

Thus, working in camp, in my opinion can be a great experience, even though the hours are long. I strongly suggest however, working for a Camp Catering Company where management and H/R treat their employees with dignity and respect.
Pros
Awesome meals, friendly environment in some camps
Cons
Management politics, nepotism and favoritism
Poorly run company and does not value field staff
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 December 2015
This company was one of the worst I ever worked for.
They are cheap, don't care about their staff, unless you know someone there, and have alot of unprofessional chefs and some cooks too, and their camp managers are unprofessional.
I got off the bus once at one of their big camps up at Cenovus and the Royal Camp Manager, said "welcome back suckers", before we even got off the bus.
How's that for a positive attitude from management.
And the benefits are not very good, wait til you try and claim something. And have a real good look at that dental plan before you head to the dentist, it doesn't cover what most basic plans do.
And thier placement guy is not with it at all.
if you don't believe me, go work for them and you will see.
They don't have good groceries either, unless your at a Cenovus site and then its a little better, and the money.
I would bypass this company unless your desparate, and don't even bother with the GP division, its run even worse.
They break alot of health and safety stuff and alot of their kitchens are not clean.
Pros
they pay 12 hours a day in any position
Cons
see below
Non productive and condescending place to work at.
Chef (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 November 2015
Management very clicky and full of favoritism. Advancement and personal growth is not based on merit. Too much fun and game playing within management circles especially within corporate. Otherwise known as "hypocrisy"
Pros
Not worth a response.
Cons
Self explanatory.
Good Company to work for, would work for them again.
Remote Camp Manager/Health and Safety Advisor Mgr (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB16 February 2015
Typical day at work was 12 hours plus, but was rewarding work with numerous accolades from clients. I learned working for a smaller company it generally better for most people involved. I was a manager and management was good at the firm, although often the Camp Manager had to design and administer his or her own site specific standard operating procedures. My co-workers were awesome, I miss them and even as their boss communication was open and always appreciated. Hardest part of the job was changing expectations of the Safety Advisors of the Prime Contractors involved. These advisors would change every 3 months at times...
The most enjoyable part of the job was the participation with a strong team of management and employees running a seamless operation.
Pros
Family Atmosphere
Cons
Shut downs due to weather or lack of business activity
it took a while to get a good team together but when I did everyone had fun and worked well together
Camp Manager (Former Employee) –  alberta16 January 2015
Royal used to be a great place to work but got so big the HR department would only send a body up. ie: I asked for a sandwich maker and they sent me a janitor. It got very frustrating after a while because my hands were tied and I couldn't run the camp as well as it could have been but once I did the camp ran smooth as glass
Productive,long hour days , fun working environment
SUPERVISOR) KEVIN BUDD (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2013
Most days were 10-14 hour shifts . I learned from the age of 14 to work in camps. I was my dads second cook and this has been a job I truly loved doing , I got to meet alot of people in this line of work. Management kept me very busy all season , I worked well with my co-workers and always had fun doing my job in a safe manner. The hardest part of the job was when someone got fired and I had to work double shifts,
Pros
travel, overtime hours and excellent paycheques
Cons
double shifts with little sleep or no sleep
Fast paced work environment, ever changing situations
Camp Manager (Former Employee) –  The Cold Lake Air Weapons Range10 August 2012
The job was a very early start and a very late finish, often the hours would extend into 16-17 hour days. The environment was very multicultural and very customer service oriented. Many diverse management teams worked as one to make the operaiton a relative success on a day to day basis. This included many different personalities and management styles. The hardest part of the job was finding unity within all of the different management teams and meeting the common goal. The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff i directed, most were very willing to do their best to advance and further themselves. As we were located on a mitlitary base laws were of the utmost importance and these laws ensured everyones safety at all time if they were followed respectfully.
My days included processing charges to hundreds of different accounts, ensuring the billing and man day counts were entirely accurate. I oversaw the staf, gave orientations for camp safety and new worker orientations as per HSSE and OH&S regulations for the oil and gas industry. I served the clients and met their needs and communications in a prompt courteous manner.
Produced a training manual for the postition I worked, accommodated reservations, processed daily expense reports. Provided safety services and transported injured or ill staff to the medics.
Pros
working in camp meant zero expenses and a very secure and safe environment
Cons
long hours, many days away from family