Royal Camp Services Employee Reviews

kitchen
Second Cook/Sandwich Maker (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB19 April 2018
i find this work enviroment is a safe work place and good quality food to serve. and management is awesome to work with. i love the steak nights,my day at work was fast pace and fun.
Pros
free food
Cons
long hallways
20 April 2018

Thanks for your positive feedback on our safe work environment, food quality, and management.

General Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 April 2018
I worked for this company for 3 months. My first time in camp i didn't know what to expect. But as soon as I walked in the atmosphere was great. The staff were amazing to work with we all got along with each other so it made it a better place to work. Can't wait to go back in the fall
Pros
Free lunches great staff pay is good
20 April 2018

Thanks for sharing your experiences this season. We have numerous employees who work our Fall to Spring season. We look forward to speaking with you again in the future!

fun work place
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 March 2018
it's a great for work experience. and to those who enjoy travelling, throughout the summer and fall seasons. Staff is extremely friendly wages are more than great.
Pros
Great views year round
9 March 2018

Thank you for your review and mentioning the great staff at Royal Camp Services.

Good company all around
Lead Baker/ supervisor/ clerical (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2018
I learned to become a team leader a team player
I achieved many goals that I set out to achieve and quickly in which they were always noticed
The hardest part of the job was working 12 hr shifts for 21 days straight and only having 7 days off
Pros
free camp food and gym
Cons
long shifts
9 March 2018

Thank you for highlighting your personal development while at Royal Camp Services and the challenge of being away in camp for long periods of time.

Days at work were often not taken seriously.
Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 January 2018
Working for Royal, the office management had very poor communication skills with each other, the different offices, and co-workers. Often times, I had witness turn-around's to pick up employees that had been forgotten (often added to out-bound lists last minute.) I would be scheduled to go into work, and on the day of departure, I would be told I was not needed. Camp Managers requests aren't taken into account, from the office, for employees to return, orders, or very serious maintenance issues.
Royal's placement office, and the bus drivers, often do not have great communication. Which often falls on the backs of employees when leaving and coming to work.
The most enjoyable part of my employment with Royal, was the other co-workers, and camp managers.
Pros
Free gym, free meals, good accomodations
Cons
Lack of communication, poor management ethic
9 March 2018

Thank you for the feedback and comments. Rotations are based on client levels and camp site requirements which may fluctuate with no notice. Ongoing work at any particular camp is not guaranteed, and staff may be moved between camps as needed. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your co-workers and camp managers.

when its good its good, but when its not........
Camp Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2018
It just depends what straw you draw. Some camp managers are out to prove something and will make all other employees lives hellish and the head office doesn't do anything because the "camp manager" is the end all be all.(Some of the biggest losers are camp managers) I ve seen more employee turn over with this company than any other. No raise was offered had to fight for it. 12 hour shifts (not including lunch) were timed and watched (not that a person had time or else you didn't get your rooms cleaned before the workers got home). Like I said about the straws, you could get a good one and end up in the middle of nowhere with 8 rooms to clean and that's your day.
9 March 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Due to the variety of clients and contracts fulfilled service delivery requirements can vary from site to site. Employees should expect to work at a steady pace throughout their shift.

Overall a good company
Head Camp Attendant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2017
Structured , extremely safety conscious, they are always willing to provide any necessary training and provide amazing support for a new worker .Generally the head office management group are very good,however with some of the selections of field camp management can at times be improved at times
Pros
Free travel to work
Cons
Heavy workloads
29 November 2017

Thank you for your review highlighting our safety and training commitments.

Productive work place
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2017
Typical day at work was stocking up all the drinks, cleaning up the dining room in between meals, putting away food orders, and helping the cooks prep food. The management at my camp was awesome and fun to work with, whenever there was time we would all go outside and have a micro break, which always consisted of friendly jokes and witty banter. The hardest part of the job was probably when we had a big ticket item on the menu such as prime rib, we would get other camps residents trying to get in to our dining hall, which was not allowed and made it more difficult to serve the people we were supposed to. The most enjoyable part of the job was the micro breaks with the crew.
Pros
Free food
29 November 2017

Thank you for providing details on what your day to day job in camp was like.

Short Lived
Kitchen General Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2017
This was my first Camp Job I'm disappointed it didn't last very long. It is what it is I guess I made some decent money and friends but didn't enjoy switching camps often and having to relearn everything.
Pros
Money, Friends
Cons
Very little training, constant site changes, indifferent management
2 November 2017

Thank you for your review. Our staff may be moved between lodges to respond to client needs, or in an attempt to find the best job / site / culture fit for an employee.

ok
First Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2017
I don't have much to say about royal camp as I found them to be very clicky and they did not have very qualified people .. they took the camp managers point of view only into consideration
22 September 2017

We appreciate your feedback. At Royal Camp Services the Camp Manager is responsible for the operations of the entire site and the health and safety of all workers. If you would like to share thoughts on a situation handled by a Camp Manager please contact the HR Manager at 780-463-800.

Treat their staff horribly
Chef, relief chef, 1st cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 August 2017
I would never work for or recommend anyone work for this company. They mistreat their employees grossly and encourage unsafe practices. Good experience but the company sucks
2 August 2017

Thanks for your feedback. It is unfortunate you had a negative experience. Royal Camp Services’ standardized and comprehensive procedures ensure equal treatment of employees while providing a safe work environment. Please contactd Royal Camp Services’ HR department if you would like to discuss specific concerns.

A joke
Chef (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2017
The positive reviews here are either out to lunch or fake - Royal is an absolute joke of a company. Everything is as cheap as possible. Pay is horrible. The "workplace culture" is one of rewarding the lazy, the incompetent, and the conniving. There is no such thing as a confidential conversation with your superior. Decisions appear to be made by spinning a wheel. It's apparently even cheaper now than it was. Don't work here - preserve your dignity.

I lost all trust when they continued to have us serve contaminated bottled water to the clients (a cheap High Level product of water - bottles were found with grease smears inside, algae growing...every bottle tasted different and all bad. There was no other option for drinkable water.)
Pros
I learned what a bad camp company looks like
Cons
So cheap, scotch tape was rationed. Seriously.
29 May 2017

Thanks for your feedback. Royal Camp Services has a vigorous food safety program with standards above provincial requirements ensuring our staff and clients can have full confidence in our meal and drink offerings. We strive to create a workplace where employees are able to succeed and enjoy coming to work. Our success is shown by the large number of long-term employees employed and our ability to retain the same seasonal staff year after year.

Good Company. No issues.
General Helper (Former Employee) –  Pink Mountain, BC25 May 2017
Was a basic Job helping in kitchen with cleaning and front of house with stocking. The staff were nice and fun to be around. There was never an issue with management and the quality was good for the food. Pretty good place to work but not the best pay in the industry
Pros
Money and good atmosphere.
Cons
Being away from the city.
29 May 2017

Thank you for your feedback and discussing the lifestyle challenges associated with the position. In order to alleviate staff concerns of being away from home Royal Camp Services provides fantastic site amenities such as private rooms for employees, a gym, Wi-Fi internet access, and satellite television.

Overall good
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Alberta20 May 2017
We would work long hours, almost 15 to 16 hours a day sometimes! I've learned to work long hours, as well as learning how to deal with inventory. Management where great.
Pros
Breaks when needed
Cons
Long hours!, Away from home
camp attendant
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 April 2017
Great money actually. I would net $3500/month. Getting to the camp was always interesting as the buses would break down or you're crammed into an 11 passenger van with 13 people and luggage.
Pros
money, free meals
Cons
12 hours a day 3 weeks in 1 week out
10 April 2017

Thanks for your review. It is unfortunate that you may have experienced issues travelling to remote site locations. We have recently upgraded our staff transport vehicles in order to make travelling to site more enjoyable.

The Worst Company
1st Cook (Former Employee) –  Various Sites2 April 2017
Never worked with a Red Seal chef--most didn't have any culinary tickets. Only way to advance in the company is to be related to one of the upper management--never experienced such nepotism. Employees get moved from one camp to the next with little to no warning--feelings/wishes of the staff are never considered. Lots of unpaid OT--never only worked a 12 hour day. My guess is all these companies are the same, but I'd never recommend Royal to anyone I care about.
Pros
I can't think of any
Cons
Too many to mention
10 April 2017

Thanks for your feedback. A large percentage of our cooks have years of industry experience, formal culinary education, international training, and / or Red Seal certification. If you feel that you were paid incorrectly please reach out to our Human Resources department at 780-463-8000 in order to discuss further.

good
CSR/Second Cook/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2017
back in the day it was the cream of the crop of catering, now I've heard not so much. that's why I am not there anymore $$$$$ just not obtainable in the kitchen but they honorably operate and offer training/ apprenticeships plus safety in the employees and clients is #1 no question
Loved working for Royal
Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB8 January 2017
From sending me to the courses I needed, everyone always friendly and helpful, rewarding good work, giving me a Company vehicle, and providing help of any kind if I asked for it, Royal was by far the best Company I have worked for in the Patch.
On a typical day, I would visit one and sometimes two Camps, sit and have a meeting with the Staff to make sure they were all getting along well together and that they didn't needing anything to make their jobs better. We would have a short Safety Meeting, then I woild proceed to the Rig and have a meeting with either the Consultant or the Rig Manager, making sure that they were satisfied with the Service and Accomodation that we were providing for them. I would normally stay in Camp to see what the meal was like for myself.
Pros
Lots of good food and aquaintances in Camp and more often than not, the Client was satisfied with the service he was getting
Cons
Worse thing about the job was having to remove a staff and replace them
I enjoyed working for Royal Camp Services
Baker/Supervisor/Breakfast Cook/Sandwich Maker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 December 2016
I worked in some great camps with some amazing chefs, and met some amazing people, who will be lifelong friends. I really enjoy working in camp. Its a great place to be
Great Place to work
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 September 2016
One of the hardest things ive ever done is resign from royal camp. It was like walking out on family. Best company i have ever worked for. always performed my duties but no matter how trivial or massive a project ,I was left feeling appreciated at the end of everyday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Camp Services. Our community is ready to answer.