Royal Camp Services
Happiness score is 66 out of 100

Royal Camp Services Employee Reviews

Canada110 reviews

royalfoodkitchensafetylongfreeroommeet

Decent place, ups and downs

Seems like it's an "old boys club" kind of situation in most of these kitchens. Women struggle to get any kind of respect. Pay is decent, as you have no expenses while in camp.

Not bad but too long

Ppl are really nice.It's basically just working and sleeping if you like to do other than that do not apply there is not for everyone.

Insights into Royal Camp Services

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging

Wouldn't work there again

Always short staffed, low pay, long hours away from home. Lots of rules that have nothing to do with cooking, very ridged environment. Great place for someone with absolutely no exp to gain some sandwhich skills.

Challenging and rewarding

Aside from the difficulties receiving my benefits, I have learned and grown exponentially. The company pays for most of the required and extra certificates. The scenery is a big bonus too!

Pros

Food is supplied and no transportation costs. Flexible schedules

Cons

Not being able to leave the site until the end of your rotation

Horrible

This company will work you to death for 15 hr...no joke..45 rooms a day usually..but the boss's favorites can do 0 wrong... doesn't matter how hard you work it's NEVER ENOUGH..they don't care how exhausted you are..and if you site that as a safety issue..they will try to fire you

Great company

Worked for them for three years and a half, never had a big issues, pay is good, people are friendly, some management are okay but no biggie i just do my own thing, some camps are drama tho not a lot but every company has it anyway.

Pros

Travel pay, free food, accomodations

Meh

Most people you work with are pretty great. Mangers are most garbage don't know what they are doing and there is a lot of favoritism. Management also contradicts themselves a lot when it comes to their company rules. Communication is horrible. I would never work for this company again.

Not fun

I saw it staff or manager favour certain group of culture and no room for advancement because of system they put in place. Group of colour has no position to move forward even worked there for long time

Good place to work, better money than you can make anywhere in town doing the same job

Management was good, everyone got along great, and problems were dealt with appropriately. When short staffed, everyone helps out to make the shift go as smoothly as possible.

busy, away from home, over time pay for the win

If you find the right location and position the job can be fun. Night sifts are hard since you are always switching back to day time mode on days off but you get away from some of the management stuff

Pros

Over time, free food, baking freedom

Cons

away from home

I enjoy working here

I have had no issues with Royal Camps, this is camp work and I have been fortunate to have worked with good crews, a few loose screws once in a while but overall two thumbs up. I plan to continue working for Royal.

It’s an okay job

Wish managers were more professional but food and kitchen stuff was great house keeping stuff there is bully’s groups of girls that like to pick on others and I got ahold of placement team and one of the recruiters about getting my job back and of course no one has contacted me since and I’ve seen a girl get fired and a month later be back at the same camp but the office team is very helpful when at camp for the most part and if the manager working does not like you you are going to know and have more work then anybody else pay is also really good

Pros

Foods good

Cons

No benefits

Official response from Royal Camp Services

15 December 2021
If you had re-applied for work and did not hear back please check your spam folder for our email response.

Great work place

I currently work here and it is busy but very fluid in the learning curves. You have a lot of room for advancement and they respect knowledge. Come and try it out for yourself if you have drive they will teach or learn from whatever Level your at in culinary

Pros

Free food and accommodations while working

Cons

Being away from home 2-3 weeks at a time

For being new in the environment the people were friendly and and patient

The work environment was good had lots to learn but excelled very fast with the help of the supervisors in each department I would like to return to work for royal camps if was asked

Pros

Food was excellent and free living

Cons

Long travel 16 hours

Enjoyed working for Royal Camps

I was a relief cook for the camps and was always working . The management for the Grande Prairie office was exceptional. Always willing to help with any situations that may have arose. Helped when I did make mistakes Nothing but good things to say .Overall my experience with the Grande Prairie office was positive

Pros

Remote work and full schedule

Cons

Can't really think of any

Management was great!

It was my first time to work at a camp. I knew nothing and had no expectations at all. I was supposed to work at a main camp but I was pulled out to work in a small camp. It was mandatory to check your temperature before you start working and, your day officially starts with a meeting with the Chef and the rest of your team. On my first three days, I was trained in cleaning washrooms, laundry, and mopping the hallways. My main job, though, were to wash dishes, cutleries, pots and pans; refill condiments, plastic cutleries, napkins; restock cooler with bottled/ canned drinks; sanitize dining tables and surfaces like door handles, coolers, coffee maker, etc; mop kitchen and dining floors; make coffee; receive and organize groceries; help the chef if necessary; and serve food. Work at the main camp was basically the same with the small camp but more challenging because it was bigger and there were more people to work with and to work for plus I had additional work. I was supposed to work for only a week but was asked to extend for another two weeks with a condition that I train in the housekeeping in the morning and go back to the kitchen in the afternoon. I was grateful to have been extended. They even gave me an hour break to rest and change uniform. I enjoyed working alone most of the time just minding my own business. I loved the food especially at the main camp. We worked 12 hours a day which was tiring but when you're at a camp and you have nothing to do and nowhere to go, except your room, it's worth it. I don't know why, but, I enjoyed the travels -

Pros

Good pay. Great food. Good accommodation.

Very busy fast paced productive environment..safety oriented

I was hired on site did exams and safety exam on site and was ready to go out to camp the same day..I worked kitchen making sandwiches and food items for lunches for about 450 workers.. did 12 hour shifts didn't stop much as duties on night shift kept me busy.. worked with great team everyone helped each other with duties to be done before 5 am served breakfast and performed light breakfast duties then did clean up and went to safety meeting when done at 9am and gave input on any changes or incident reports.. it was a great experience to work in a camp setting..the food and housekeeping services were incredible.. it was my first time in a camp setting..and I would love to work in a camp setting again..hourly wage should be higher for the amount of duties required..

Pros

Meals and accommodation were free.. you have your own room

Cons

Long hours 9pm to 9am but the time went by fast..

Constantly working and only fun when you go home.

If you even try to ask for some days they'll accept your request, but Royal Camp will never take you back so be careful this happened to three people I known of. One work she had 12 yrs with them she requested to attend a funeral Royal Camp accepted her request and And she never got an email or phone call back form the. At all!.

Pros

Lunch good

Cons

12 hour shifts

Official response from Royal Camp Services

12 October 2021
This review is incorrect. Royal Camp Services has a straightforward vacation request policy. Furthermore, it is common for staff who leave due to being seasonal workers, or having family / school commitments to return at a later date in the future. If you are someone who is looking to return, please contact the recruitment team.

Busy! But fun and relaxed environment

Being an admin, I think that the work life balance is excellent as management is accommodating. During the busy season you are busy and self motivation is required. I think that we are paid fairly but the benefits could be better. Office location doesn't have bussing which can be difficult if you dont drive. They have gotten better at advising when changes occur in the company but could still be improved.

Pros

Hours, salary, atmosphere isnt toxic

Cons

Benefits, lack of communication about the co

I enjoyed working at Royal Camps very much.

I worked well with the management and all staff at Royal Camp.I like that it's very fast paced and as a camp attendant I was able to work on my own without supervision and able to preform my duties on task in the amount of time asked of me with the assurity that the standard of cleaning was to the utmost of best standards according to management without any problems whatsoever.I loved my job and I would love to come back and work for Royal Camps and Catering in the near future possibly.

Pros

Fast pace energy, work on your own, friendly staff, beautiful camps.

Great food, co-workers,generals,

All around great place to work and co-habitate. The kitchen staff are ace.the travel to and from is supplied and the people are mannerely.the mixing stations works,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Camp Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement