Royal Botanical Gardens

Royal Botanical Gardens Employee Reviews

Canada22 reviews
The company is great for people who are interested in going into the Horticulture industry and want to get some experience while in school.
I would recommend applying to the gardens if your interested in the field and the place is great when it is the summer, just being outside makes the job easier and brings the employees and community together more. Bonding over the atmosphere and the surroundings of the gardens.
great place to work
amazing atmoshere and welcoming staff. flexible hours. good supervisors. not too demanding, if needed we could take a break. no hard parts of the job only easy.
Chill place to work
It was a great place to work for a summer job. It would be better if the job could be full time because the hours were sometimes all over the place since it's open on holidays and weekends. My coworkers were all very nice and we all got along great over the summer.
Management was really nice and accommodating if you needed time off or something. They listen if you have ideas about improvement. Sometimes upper management is a little distant and don't really understand the best was to spend their money.
It was amazing
This past summer at the RBG was easily my favourite. It was my first time working as a full-time staff member (as oppose to junior staff in past years). The management was great and the sense of family within the camp team was very present. 10/10 would recommend to anyone who loves kids and nature.
Was a great summer student job
Had a great 2 summers working at the gardens. I worked as set-up crew and helped train the new team the second year I worked there. The people and activities you do are amazing here.
Productive and fun
- would help set up equipment for events, the environment was calm and peaceful and was able to enjoy the out doors everyday. I would recommend to anyone looking for a summer job.
Wonderful place to work!
I enjoyed working here as the people and the workplace was a beautiful and educational experience. Everyone is passionate about their work and works hard to make a memorable experience for their guests!
Cons
Lack of advancement
Productive and fun
Really great staff and a fun place to learn more then just catering and serving. You learn about plant life, the story behind RBG, meet different people, but most importantly you learn more about yourself in the process.
Wish I hadn't left sometimes :)
Fun, easy going environment with new experiences almost daily
Working at RBG was wonderful, and I wish I could've stayed! The job was fun, and the people I worked with were even better. Always something going on at RBG, which keeps you on your toes and excited for a new day! Wonderful company.
Pros
Fun coworkers, new experiences, flexbility
Many leadership opportunities and supportive senior staff
Working as a junior counselor at the RBG was rewarding but tiring. You are placed with a wide variety of age groups and work with a team of at least one other junior staff member and 2-3 senior counselors. All in all, it was a good work experience with fair hours, reasonable management, and a gratifying impact on campers.
Great work experience for anyone looking to build their career in ecological restoration
Identified, measured, and weighed several different species of fish, sampled water to assess quality, uploaded Fishway data to Excel spreadsheet, planted native emergent plants (mostly cattails), removed invasive plants (Eurasian manna grass, giant reed grass).
fun place poor mangement
Managers have too much power and abuse it for their own benefits. Alot of great people work there though which can make it enjoyable to work at. Hardest part of the job is you got to stay pass midnight most events, but that isnt too bad.
Pros
alot of great people
Cons
poor management
Amazing place to work - Adventure meets nature
By far the best place I have worked - they focus on ensuring all visitors are satisfied

Management and overall environment is great.

A great opportunity for people of all age groups - to come and experience the gardens and what we have to offer.
No job security, expect to do "any other duties" often.
A very disorganized company. Poor management, although nice to your face. Job prospects are weak and pay structure is unrealistic, although upper management makes it into the sunshine list. Health and safety are also an issue, expect to work alone in unsafe conditions.
There is also a lack of communication between staff, departments and even with upper management to management. The name and reputation may sound good on you resume but it it will not sound good to your banker. Also they seem to hire uneducated people that talk their way into a good positions, taking out others that stand in their way. Many departments are also not unionized so don't expect any rights.
Pros
Free admission
Cons
pay, disorganized, lack of vision, don't listen to those working for them.
Employees Careers Improvement
RBG invests in a good, healthy and Safe workplace. Since the first day the invest on the employee career development by offering training, certification, seminars and other activities. Those are characteristics that show a good company to work at.
Pros
Workplace Health and Safety focus
Cons
no flexible work hours schedule
Great company
Great Company- loved it they treat you very well and are always considerate of your rights and needs. Very positive and happy environment as well. Fun place to work.
Fun Workplace
Very fun job, great co-workers and a fun environment. Worked in teams and it ran smoothly. Everyone was very easy to get along with
Cons
Long Hours
Great Staff - Much opportunity to expand skill Set
amazing co-workers, always willing to help out other departments when need assistance. Small organization gave plenty of opportunity to explore other areas and help out. Great balance of in office and outside work. Hardest part of the job for me was calling people and asking for money.
Pros
small organization
Cons
telemarketing
fun work place
doing crafts with kids, going canoeing, taking care of children with special need, playing games with the kids, going on field trips
Great.
A wonderful peaceful place to work. It made my love for plants grow and the people are friendly. I would recommend to anyone.
great place to work
rbg is a great place to work because there are great co works and bosses. also if you are in the horticulture profession its great place learn and do new things
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Botanical Gardens. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3