Rothsay, A Division of Darling International Canada Inc.

Rothsay, A Division of Darling International Canada Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada25 reviews
Alot of things need to change in this company . First off training and management .
Salary is decent

Co workers aren't open minded .

They expect you to solve all the problems and blame you even when your not at fault .
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Very poor management / backward mentality co workers
Good place to work! Good pay .95% of the guys are wicked Awsome. Lots of diffrent types of jobs to do keeps it from getting boaring! Pension plan and bennifts.
Good salary for job not requiring high school. Would recomend this to a friend. There is heavy equipment operating, so there is an expected level of danger.
Même si vous faite bien votre travail mais que vous n'êtes pas dans la petite clique vous n'avez aucune chance d'avancement ou même de garder votre emplois. Beaucoup d'employés font ce qu'ils veulent , délèguent leurs tâches aux autres. Superviseure sans jugement , ne sais pas répartire les tâches équitablement, ne sais pas écouter et surtout n'est pas formée pour diriger.
Typical day you start of with a drivers meeting, which plans the routes for the day for each driver. You learn how to load deadstock and drive to various plants across southwestern Ontario to deliver your load. Management is backstabbing and will throw you under the bus, this company DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR DRIVERS. If you get into an accident and are not at fault you are fired without an explanation! This job is a gamble you will make tons of money, but at the cost of driving down poorly managed roads, and if you go into a ditch you are fired. Do not go into this job with a positive attitude, other drivers will hate you just for being happy to work here. They preach driver retention, but it is the complete opposite when an accident happens. I understand if you are at fault, but accidents happen and when you are not at fault any GOOD company will stand behind you, Rothsay does not. If you do not believe me look at their overall reviews, I wish I had of done that before switching from a stable job to this joke.
Job expectations not fully told to you up front. Was lied to. Wanted to resolve the issue so it would not be a problem in the future and it also put my safety at risk. I guess if they look at you as being the fly in the ointment your shown the door.
Ok, here we go... first off, the interview you get is with multiple management that really have no interviewing skills, once hired you’re made out to believe that it’s the end all be all of jobs until you make one little mistake, and the management never lets you forget it either! Drivers get the minimalist of training for the route they are training for, weekly schedule always changes due to incompetent supervisor, verbal abuse as well as the general manager bad mouthing you to other supervisors while at the same time there is a company wide anti-bullying and verbal abuse agreement within the company ( yes, you are forced to sign a form on this as well as many others) long hours and forced over time, management DOES not care about your personal life and expects you to give up all free time to work. The smells from the plant are ridiculous and gets into your skin for days!
Equipment isn’t too bad but all the trailers used are not DOT compliant. There is an extremely high turn over rate and after a while it makes sense when you hear of someone quitting. I would highly not recommend gaining employment there.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Bad management, minimal training, bad smells, disgusting and dirty work
À déconseillé cette entreprise pas sérieuse du tout.
Pros
Salaire
Cons
Ses pas sérieux cette compagnie
One of the worst companies I've ever worked for. Some employees are bullies and if you file a complaint management ignores it even though harrassment in the workplace is illegal. Management lies to you about everything. Management had no concept of time and don't consider things like traffic when putting Runs together. Too much work and not enough time. The work is disgusting and very smelly but you do get used to it. Great wages and benefits and a great Christmas party. Other than that I would rather be trapped in a coal mine disaster than work for those liars ever again.
Pros
Paid lunch, OT after 42.5 hours. Great pay and benefits
Cons
Hours can be long. Work is extremely smelly.
No opportunity for job advancement. Do not consider present employee's efforts for extra education, personnel developement when looking to hire. Do not respect longevity and experience when hiring.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
No job advancement
You will be treated poorly by dispatch, written up for doing things the way you were trained, and overlooked for promotions. Seniority means nothing. Horrible work environment. I quit and they put it in my records that I was fired. Just keep looking!
Pros
Money
Cons
Ridiculously high turnover for a reason. Equipment is beyond horrible to the point the ministry should be looking really hard at the trucks. Cant keep track of the number of people quitting. Brutal place even the supervisors all quit
Pros
None stay away
Cons
Forced dispatch
A very inexperienced management with no knowledge or experience makes it a trying place to work.Pay is average at best benefits as well.Low morale in plant as well as trucking due to poor management communication.The experienced staff and supervision keep the place running in spite of poor management.Good group of people to work with at plant level and trucking.
Pros
good co-workers and social activities
Cons
no advancement and poor management
Rothsay has a great family-like atmosphere and provides social and family friendly events for their employees. The industry is extremely interesting and it is evident that Rothsay provides valuable services. The parent company, Darling, continues to invest in Rothsay’s facilities.

Some departments are spread too thin; however, colleagues are always willing to help.

Advice to Management: don’t be so risk averse when it comes to adopting innovative processes and programs. Stop implementing/rehashing programs that were from the Maple Leaf Foods days. Time to move on and create something new that works best for Rothsay.
Pros
Great Employees, Social Events
Cons
Lack of Innovation and Identity
I have been with the company for 10 years. I started straight out of school and have progressed through 4 different roles across different functions. I am extremely happy with the development opportunities and the advancement I have received.

The company is always looking for ways to improve, which creates a fast paced work environment. People that love to be busy and a constant challenge will love this company.

The people in the organization are great. People get along well and really care about each other.

The compensation package at the company is generally very good, especially for the areas they are located.
I've been here for sometime now. We started as co-workers became friends, and stand together as a family now.

No family is perfect. We have good day and bad days, but in the end we stand together.

We all work hard, so our social committee has yearly events for us like the golf tournament last weekend. Kids Christmas Party. Adult Christmas Party. Wonderland trips for the families. Special event BBQs hosted by our management team.

To add. We have a pension plan, where other companies no longer provide that. We have benefits / RSPs - where other companies are moving away from this as well.
I worked here very briefly in the office. Little to no training was provided. The manager who i reported to treated me very poorly when mistakes were made. Would talk down to me in front of colleagues, etc. I eventually got sick of being put down by someone who was supposed to train and support me that i left the job without notice. Took a huge toll on my self confidence and for such an unglamorous job, not worth it.

Pay and benefits are decent buy it’s not worth it.
Pros
Pay benefits
Cons
Management, training
people could smile more. Some positions have regular routine and some don't. the pay is good the morale is low due to managements sneaky tactics. everyone gets written up for everything whether legit or not keeping, everyone on edge.
The most dysfunctional workplace I have ever experienced. From decades old equipment to constant clashes between staff, this employer is one you want to avoid. This decrepit location is staffed by a collection of lifers whos constant daily complaining will drive you to the edge of madness. Yes, the money is good, but you cannot put a price on your sanity.
Pros
Wage & Benefits
Cons
Co-Workers, Training, Management, Work Environment & The Union
Terrible employer. No training resources, expected to work countless hours with no extra pay. no appreciation, rude staff with negative work environment....no job security.
Rothsay recycling is a large company, i was employed there for 6 months on a contract first off would like to say thats a brutal and ridiculous length to be on contract when your disposable at any point in time. rothsay will over work you and the dispatchers and mangement team treat you with no respect. the dispatching crew was the most unorganized group i had ever worked with. always under staffed because they treat the employees poorly. i was told by the mangement staff i would be hired on full-time and had nothing to worry about and 2 weeks later they handed me my papers saying i wasnt being hired on with no warning. your working hours are all over the map and never stay the same you could be days to afternoons and nights in one week. absolute lack of scheduling, mangement ability and respect.
Pros
ok salary
Cons
terrible scheduling, no respect, poor training
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rothsay, A Division of Darling International Canada Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.4