Rothsay, A Division of Darling International Canada Inc.

Rothsay, A Division of Darling International Canada Inc. Employee Reviews

Tres minable a déconseillé
Journalier de production (Former Employee) –  Sainte-Catherine, QC19 January 2019
À déconseillé cette entreprise pas sérieuse du tout.
Pros
Salaire
Cons
Ses pas sérieux cette compagnie
If you like stress and disorganization this is the place for you.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON27 December 2018
One of the worst companies I've ever worked for. Some employees are bullies and if you file a complaint management ignores it even though harrassment in the workplace is illegal. Management lies to you about everything. Management had no concept of time and don't consider things like traffic when putting Runs together. Too much work and not enough time. The work is disgusting and very smelly but you do get used to it. Great wages and benefits and a great Christmas party. Other than that I would rather be trapped in a coal mine disaster than work for those liars ever again.
Pros
Paid lunch, OT after 42.5 hours. Great pay and benefits
Cons
Hours can be long. Work is extremely smelly.
Just keep looking
Former employee (5yrs) (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON16 October 2018
You will be treated poorly by dispatch, written up for doing things the way you were trained, and overlooked for promotions. Seniority means nothing. Horrible work environment. I quit and they put it in my records that I was fired. Just keep looking!
Pros
Money
Sinking ship
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ON26 September 2018
Ridiculously high turnover for a reason. Equipment is beyond horrible to the point the ministry should be looking really hard at the trucks. Cant keep track of the number of people quitting. Brutal place even the supervisors all quit
Pros
None stay away
Cons
Forced dispatch
Poor management ,Average pay Poor morale
Plant Worker (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ON4 August 2018
A very inexperienced management with no knowledge or experience makes it a trying place to work.Pay is average at best benefits as well.Low morale in plant as well as trucking due to poor management communication.The experienced staff and supervision keep the place running in spite of poor management.Good group of people to work with at plant level and trucking.
Pros
good co-workers and social activities
Cons
no advancement and poor management
Interesting Work, Great Colleagues, Need to Innovate
Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON2 July 2018
Rothsay has a great family-like atmosphere and provides social and family friendly events for their employees. The industry is extremely interesting and it is evident that Rothsay provides valuable services. The parent company, Darling, continues to invest in Rothsay’s facilities.

Some departments are spread too thin; however, colleagues are always willing to help.

Advice to Management: don’t be so risk averse when it comes to adopting innovative processes and programs. Stop implementing/rehashing programs that were from the Maple Leaf Foods days. Time to move on and create something new that works best for Rothsay.
Pros
Great Employees, Social Events
Cons
Lack of Innovation and Identity
Great Company
Director (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ON13 June 2018
I have been with the company for 10 years. I started straight out of school and have progressed through 4 different roles across different functions. I am extremely happy with the development opportunities and the advancement I have received.

The company is always looking for ways to improve, which creates a fast paced work environment. People that love to be busy and a constant challenge will love this company.

The people in the organization are great. People get along well and really care about each other.

The compensation package at the company is generally very good, especially for the areas they are located.
People Are Family
Office (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ON13 June 2018
I've been here for sometime now. We started as co-workers became friends, and stand together as a family now.

No family is perfect. We have good day and bad days, but in the end we stand together.

We all work hard, so our social committee has yearly events for us like the golf tournament last weekend. Kids Christmas Party. Adult Christmas Party. Wonderland trips for the families. Special event BBQs hosted by our management team.

To add. We have a pension plan, where other companies no longer provide that. We have benefits / RSPs - where other companies are moving away from this as well.
Not worth it.
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON4 June 2018
I worked here very briefly in the office. Little to no training was provided. The manager who i reported to treated me very poorly when mistakes were made. Would talk down to me in front of colleagues, etc. I eventually got sick of being put down by someone who was supposed to train and support me that i left the job without notice. Took a huge toll on my self confidence and for such an unglamorous job, not worth it.

Pay and benefits are decent buy it’s not worth it.
Pros
Pay benefits
Cons
Management, training
needs improvment
AZ Driver (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON1 December 2017
people could smile more. Some positions have regular routine and some don't. the pay is good the morale is low due to managements sneaky tactics. everyone gets written up for everything whether legit or not keeping, everyone on edge.
Avoid At All Costs.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Moorefield, ON14 November 2017
The most dysfunctional workplace I have ever experienced. From decades old equipment to constant clashes between staff, this employer is one you want to avoid. This decrepit location is staffed by a collection of lifers whos constant daily complaining will drive you to the edge of madness. Yes, the money is good, but you cannot put a price on your sanity.
Pros
Wage & Benefits
Cons
Co-Workers, Training, Management, Work Environment & The Union
Stay away
Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON23 August 2017
Terrible employer. No training resources, expected to work countless hours with no extra pay. no appreciation, rude staff with negative work environment....no job security.
poor management
Relief Driver (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON8 January 2017
Rothsay recycling is a large company, i was employed there for 6 months on a contract first off would like to say thats a brutal and ridiculous length to be on contract when your disposable at any point in time. rothsay will over work you and the dispatchers and mangement team treat you with no respect. the dispatching crew was the most unorganized group i had ever worked with. always under staffed because they treat the employees poorly. i was told by the mangement staff i would be hired on full-time and had nothing to worry about and 2 weeks later they handed me my papers saying i wasnt being hired on with no warning. your working hours are all over the map and never stay the same you could be days to afternoons and nights in one week. absolute lack of scheduling, mangement ability and respect.
Pros
ok salary
Cons
terrible scheduling, no respect, poor training
J'ai bien aimé
Responsable de l’entretien (Former Employee) –  Sainte-catherine, QC2 March 2016
Les pauses étaient donnés au bon moment, mais des fois les journées s'étendaient de quelques heures. Malgré le travail physique et la chaleur, j'ai aimé mon expérience chez Rothsay.
Pros
Bonne pause, Super Patron, Bon Salaire
Cons
Quelques employés
Great Company-Strong Team Atmosphere
Finance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ON18 November 2015
Rothsay is a great company to work for; they value their employees strongly. Connected team atmosphere with supportive management.
Rothsay is an adequate company
Truck driver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 December 2013
A typical work day consisted of driving 10-14 hours a day. I gained knowledge of work and customer relations as well as knowledge of hydraulics. The management induced stress rather than managing it among the employees. Most co-workers were pleasant to deal with. The hardest part of the job was trying to explain to management that they way they asked something to be done, without a proper understanding of the task, that it could not be done in the manner in which they had requested. The most enjoyable part of my job was the opportunity for self management, customer relations and setting my own work schedule.
great co-workers, good pay.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Dundas7 August 2013
Good company to work for, I had lots of freedom and good wages, the employees are great to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rothsay, A Division of Darling International Canada Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4