Roots Employee Reviews

Environnement de travail agréable et dynamique
Détentrice de clés - chef d’équipe (Current Employee) –  Québec City, QC23 January 2019
J'ai appris à développer mes capacités de leader et de conseillère à la vente. J'ai travaillé au sein d'une équipe formidable qui était extrêmement motivante.
Roots Canada
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 January 2019
Roots is a typical retailer. Must be able to work shift work at short notice. Wearing Roots sweats to work is a nice bonus and they have a good discount.
Pros
Good Discounts
Cons
Shift Work
Requires more attention from the higher-ups!
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON14 January 2019
There were possibilities for advancement, but in the grand scheme of things, I did not believe I would benefit from it due to many issues.

Although the company was headed in a good direction before I quit, I do believe there were still many improvements to be made when it came to employees.

My particular store, in Peterborough, was completely neglected not only by the head office, and whole of a company but also but it's teammates in the same district. I met my District manager twice, since I had been working there for 3 + years and that was out of the 4 times she visited. Also, any necessary request made to her, and sometimes other managers, were left in limbo. There was no help for this location at store level.

In terms of the employees at the Peterborough location, many were hired and kept on regardless of the work they do and the quality of service provided, but simply because the manager really liked them. This, unfortunately, resulted in poor performance and a hard environment to work in and stay motivated to do a proper and good job, as you are employed to do.

Lastly, the manager was a very significant issue. She has been there for a long time, and I believe she is no longer fit to be managing the store. She is too personal, and takes her personal issues to work with her. She also creates personal issues with staff. This makes for a awful work environment. Many employees were treated poorly and unfairly, and I do believe this hindered results for the store at profit level. When a manager does not want to be at the store, and doing her job and properly manage,
  more... this leads to employees being uncomfortable, and unmotivated.  less
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else
VER bubbly and fun atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2019
I loved this job. This was my very first job I had, and really appreciate what it has taught me. The staff were so helpful and friendly, it was more like a family. However , I was going through personal family issues and I had to leave .
Pros
50-70% off merchandise
Cons
not enough shifts per week .
Fun work place, great starter job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 January 2019
I had a great time working at ROOTS and felt as though it was an excellent starter job. It was my first job ever and it was a great introduction into the work place as I was only 16 years old.
Pros
Fun working environment, nice people
Cons
Small store so it got crammed and extremely overwhelming (Winnipeg, MB location)
Customer service
Conseillère en ventes - vêtements (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 December 2018
typical customer service job, however, there is a lot of pressure from the management. I did not really enjoy my time at roots because of the stress put by the management
accommodating fun environment
Sales Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 December 2018
I worked at roots for my grade 12 year and found the management to be very accommodating for my student life as well as provide an enjoyable work environment.
Good
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON7 November 2018
Great company to work for, everyone was super friendly. Management made sure you knew what you were doing. The discount when working at Roots was awesome.
Pros
Friendly environment / Discount
Cons
Pay was low
productive and fun
Full-time Key-holder (Former Employee) –  niagara region30 October 2018
really crucial to get a good team, and management. The brand use to stand for quality but that has gone down to cater to financial request which shows in the quality of the product. The laid back atmosphere is gone now and replaced with sell sell sell and although it is the purpose of the company the new direction of the company really dropped.
Pros
great discount
Cons
promotions could be overlooked even if you were the more qualified and deserving candidate
Bad Management, Disrespectful Coworkers, Good Enough Discount
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 October 2018
Worked Seasonal at Roots and was not given a Point of sales # until near the end of my seasonal contract, not considered apart of the team by other associates, often worked later than scheduled! Managers weren't nice at all. Great discount though!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, Unwelcoming Environment, Overtime
The job was fun.
Sale Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2018
The job was fun as the management was very friendly. I only have the job for a couple of months and I didn't have a choice I had to come back to Halifax for my studies.
Unfortunately, there's more cons to it
associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 October 2018
Schedules are always late.
When you say you can't work on a specific day of the week, they still have the nerve to call you on that day to come in.
Some employees take time off without a valid excuse.
There are favourites (even if the another person worked harder).
Employees are non-sympathetic at whatever you are going through in life.
SOME of the management has a negative attitude towards some sales associates and should work on that (eye rolls, sighs, unpleased facial expression, lazy body posture), that really affects the workers' performance y'know? (you need to set a good example for others)
Some employees steal sales, so instead of putting your name for the transaction, they put theirs or sometimes whoever helped the customer the least (affects the accuracy of your sales and you sometimes get in trouble for it lol).
Workers slack off, some even go home due to being "sick" when it really just looks like they just don't want to work or some just chill out at the back office to pass time or some take longer breaks rather than 30 minutes.
If they were to ever call you in to cover someone's shift they would expect you to be there in like 5 minutes when you live 20 minutes away.
When somebody doesn't do their job at all, it is passed onto someone else when that person really could've done it themselves.
Management just doesn't appreciate their workers at all, no matter how hard you work.
The back room is total chaos, boxes all over, metal pieces sticking out everywhere (can cause injury), shoes boxes are left on the ground sometimes, there's no space for worker to
  more... get their things/sit while they're on their break.
It's a fun place to work at due to co-workers, but management sucks; which is a big factor when working.
People's anger tend to be contagious there.
You have to wear clothes from there, though you get 50% off, their products are expensive,some regular price sweatpants would be around $80, you HAVE to wear new product on weekends and whatever is STILL in store on weekdays.
Pros
Discount, some co-workers
Cons
Management, environment, dealing with people
Productive and positive environment, very nice management
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 September 2018
My Typical day at work was full of new experiences, for you would never know who would walk through that door. I enjoyed doing customer service and my co-workers and management would always motivate and guide me to become the best i can be everyday!
Pros
My manager would bring in snacks for us
Cons
5 hours or less wouldn't get a lunch break
Welcoming and happy environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON18 September 2018
Wonderful company to work for. Great hours, great teams and well rounded.
There was always great cutlure and I was always about to grow quickly within the company
Seasonal work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 September 2018
I waited on customers and helped them find sizes and kept the store tidy. I only worked during the Christmas season. I enjoyed the time I did work there as I do like their clothing.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Only seasonal
Great Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON12 August 2018
I loved working for Roots. My store especially had a fabulous team environment. I support this company 100% I believe they have great morals and an honest overall mission
Fun Positive Workplace
Cashier, Sales Associate, Stock (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON10 August 2018
Roots is a great fun place to work at. Great friendly staff and the discount there is amazing! A typical day at work would be greeting customers and trying to sell as much as possible. The hardest part of the job is sometimes meeting the sales we have set for each day.
Pros
great staff, great discount
Cons
the salary
Nice part-time job
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  181 Bay st. Brookfield place location6 August 2018
A good part-time job but would not consider for forwarding career after finished school. Its a good job whilst in school because you can balance it with regular life but the hours are not enough to sustain after youre done school and need full time work.
Okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 August 2018
It was alright. I just was worried about doing things wrong so I would always ask questions to make sure I wouldn't and always felt that people were annoyed which wasn't great.
Enjoyable Working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 July 2018
At Roots I had a blast!
The working environment was great for building my character in the working field. The atmosphere with the team helped me out greatly with teamwork!
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Naughty Customers