Roots Employee Reviews

productive and fun
Full-time Key-holder (Former Employee) –  niagara region30 October 2018
really crucial to get a good team, and management. The brand use to stand for quality but that has gone down to cater to financial request which shows in the quality of the product. The laid back atmosphere is gone now and replaced with sell sell sell and although it is the purpose of the company the new direction of the company really dropped.
Pros
great discount
Cons
promotions could be overlooked even if you were the more qualified and deserving candidate
Not the best place to work as a Key Holder
Team Lead/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON9 April 2018
The location I was at had a lot of internal politics which made work unfair. They favour employees on the basis of seniority. I was a key holder here and my decisions made were easily trumped over someone who was there 2 years longer than I was. The manager would have side conversations with their favourites to "pretend" like they were resolving internal issues, but really, they weren't.

Not the best place to work at if you want overall happiness. A good place to work at if you are at school, easy to balance Roots and also school.

However, management was very accommodating with scheduling. Barely got any hours as a way of "letting you go."
Pros
Quiet location
Cons
Long hours and lots of standing, pay sucked for the amount of work done.
Discount is dope but my management wasn't.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North York, ON12 June 2018
Roots was my first ever sales job and it was pretty enjoyable. I got along with all of my coworkers but once they all left because of management, things went downhill. I was denied a promotion to keyholder only because I went on vacation. Things weren't turning out well so I left after a year.
Pros
50% off all the time
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2018
-with experience, the job becomes easy over time
-acquired exceptional customer service and time management skills
-great people, and amazing benefits
Bad Management, Disrespectful Coworkers, Good Enough Discount
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 October 2018
Worked Seasonal at Roots and was not given a Point of sales # until near the end of my seasonal contract, not considered apart of the team by other associates, often worked later than scheduled! Managers weren't nice at all. Great discount though!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, Unwelcoming Environment, Overtime
Productive and positive environment, very nice management
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 September 2018
My Typical day at work was full of new experiences, for you would never know who would walk through that door. I enjoyed doing customer service and my co-workers and management would always motivate and guide me to become the best i can be everyday!
Pros
My manager would bring in snacks for us
Cons
5 hours or less wouldn't get a lunch break
Fun Positive Workplace
Cashier, Sales Associate, Stock (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON10 August 2018
Roots is a great fun place to work at. Great friendly staff and the discount there is amazing! A typical day at work would be greeting customers and trying to sell as much as possible. The hardest part of the job is sometimes meeting the sales we have set for each day.
Pros
great staff, great discount
Cons
the salary
Great starter for retail position
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Robson, BC22 May 2018
Working in the downtown flagship location lets you experience all aspects of retail. You work with a wide array of people, both in the company team and with the customers (be prepared for lots of tourists).

During peak seasons, you have to be able to work quickly with large crowds. That being said, most of the time it is manageable and moderate work. The company is well organized for the most part, and the management team tries to keep an upbeat and enjoyable work experience.
Pros
nice working environment
Cons
unpredictable crowds
The job was fun.
Sale Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2018
The job was fun as the management was very friendly. I only have the job for a couple of months and I didn't have a choice I had to come back to Halifax for my studies.
Fun workplace with great energy
Quality customer service (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON7 May 2018
A typical day was very enjoyable for me, I would learn more about the customers and how I could interact with them to suit their needs. The culture there was friendly so this benefited me since I am an extrovert and so was my manager. The hardest part of the job would be during Christmas season because I would be taking care of a lot of messes around the store but I maintained a positive attitude while doing so. For the most enjoyable part this happened to me whenever I was talking with customers or the staff.
Pros
a good amount of people to people interactions
Cons
n/a
Okay Environment
Full Time Key Holder (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON14 December 2017
Lots of responsibilities, if you don't deliver you get yelled at on. Your mistakes are noticed and dwelled on more than your success. Lots of throwing under the bus and chirping throughout stores. salary is good you can move up quick but lots of politics throughout management. They say they don't like drama but are the ones causing it 99 percent of the time. really depends on your location to be honest.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
management
Nice part-time job
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  181 Bay st. Brookfield place location6 August 2018
A good part-time job but would not consider for forwarding career after finished school. Its a good job whilst in school because you can balance it with regular life but the hours are not enough to sustain after youre done school and need full time work.
Fun place to work but very high expectations for availability and work
Robson St (Flagship) Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 June 2018
I over all enjoyed working at Roots

The people are all very nice and fun to work with

However,
The management has very high expectations for what you are to do in a day especially for the pay.
There is also difficulty getting time off and working around availability
Pros
Coworkers, discounts
Cons
scheduling, time, expectations
Experience Will Depend on Location
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON11 December 2017
The company itself has a great culture but your experience truly depends on which store you are working at. At my location as a key holder I was doing the work of an Assistant Manager and my Assistant Manager did the work of the Store Manager since he never wanted to do his job. The compensation for management position are also not the best you will find in retail.
Productive and fun work environment
(Sales Associate) Tsawwassen Mills, B.C (Current Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC15 February 2018
This role is a very interactive position with great coworkers and great customers. Had learned many new engaging skills, customer skills and organisational skills. Management team is very supportive, friendly and helpful.
Pros
Friendly and supportive management team
Cons
salary is minimum
Fun place to work and I learned a lot
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON18 June 2018
roots was the best job i had i enjoyed working there a lot. the staff was amazing and the work was very enjoyable i would love to work there again. it was great!
Pros
nice staff
Productive and fun workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON10 June 2018
Good team and great leaning environment.
I worked a lot on the sales floor so I gained a ton of customer service experience, from greeting customers as they walked in, to going the extra mile for those who needed the most assistance.
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Change in management
Unsafe, employees climb shelves in the back room without ladders to reach for product.
Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2018
Run baby run! Not professional, the level of store management and Head Office are laughable and you are constantly second guessing yourself. The roots culture is to make the sales people work as slaves for minimum wage as well make the sales people run the show. The worse place I have ever worked.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Imature management
Wouldn't recommend!
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  British Columbia27 September 2017
At first I really liked working at Roots until I learned more about how the company operated. Unfortunately, the company doesn't care about its employees and even less about the stores located in the west side of Canada. Basically if you're not a store in Toronto, you don't really matter. The head office was never available for help and often seemed very disorganized as they would send emails that didn't make sense or keep changing the sales promotions and dates last minute.

Most of my pay checks ended up going back to Roots since we were expected to wear the current trends. And trust me, I didn't make enough to afford to buy the expensive clothes even with the discount.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Head office management suck, low wages, bad sales
Great company to work for, management cares
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2018
Roots shows great care for employees through training, involvement and compensation. Room to move up in management. Upper management is very involved in running of stores and communicating with all employees.