RONA Employee Reviews

Sexist and mediocre management
Commis (Former Employee) –  Boucherville, QC15 October 2018
They prioritize men over women for the same job, even when the women do a better job. The management is bad, managers don’t communicate between them and its the employees that have to deal with the bad feedbacks. They let customers berate us and the salary compare to others Rona was laughable.
Pros
some nice colleague
Cons
Management, salary, favoritism, sexism
Great people/co-workers... management is dis-connected, ignorant
Sales & Customer service (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC15 October 2018
Great people to work with. Good atmosphere except when management comes down from the upper offices and makes changes that don't make sense.
This happens when the store manager stays behind a desk and looks at nothing but numbers without the human interactive component needed to make those numbers happen.
Low wages - again... looking at numbers alone. Not on par with the rest of the region.
...
Primarily the problem is the 'dis-connect' with the reality and standards of the rest of the community and region. When someone with decades of experience is making less than $20 / hour when min. wage will soon be $15.00 is shameful.
Pros
Good people (for now)
Cons
Management dis-connect with rest of industries
fun
cashier (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC10 October 2018
it was a lot of fun staff was great very helpful when first started working. very understanding, always gave you right amount of break times. flexible and gave you pretty much hours you wanted
Decent place to work overall
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 October 2018
-Management isn't the greatest
-The most enjoyable part of the job is talking to customers
-The hardest part of the job would be dealing with customers who have no patience when it's busy or they don't like the answers that have been given to them
great first job experience.
Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON3 October 2018
I worked at RONA for 8 years. from the time I was 17-25. It was a great first job experience that provided me with the skills and attitude needed to thrive in the workplace. I worked in many different departments and had acquired additional responsibilities throughout my employment. RONA provided me with the opportunity to become a licensed forklift operator which allowed me additional responsibilities like loading and off loading transport trucks for the shipping/receiving department. I am thankful for these opportunities and the knowledge I gained from working in many different positions. However after 8 years of employment i saw very little in terms of monetary raises and meaningful advancement within the company. as a part time worker I never received any benefits. work place culture began to suffer after Lowe's acquisition of the company and staff morale suffered. RONA is a great learning experience for those entering the workplace but will unlikely provide meaningful employment in the long term.
Pros
Friendly working environment with wonderful people
Cons
Inconsistent working hours. 40 hours one week. 4 hours the next
Staff
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB3 October 2018
We did Christmas parties which were fun.
I learned new things about your product and what customers built
Management wasn't great because their attitude wasn't the best and they let good people go and keep the staff that doesn't do their job properly
Pros
Employee of the Month
Cons
Horrible management
Toxic
Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 October 2018
Not a fair place to work, people are not very nice, upper Management are sneaky, not only would I never work there again I do not recommend for anyone to apply to Rona, or Lowe's for that matter.
Learned a lot
Customer Service Representative (CO-OP) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 October 2018
this was not an actual job for me it was Co-op, but i did learn a lot. I was working in the flooring department dealing with floor ties, dry wall, and other stuff.
Pros
learning
Cons
hour
Don’t Work Cash - Extreme Disrespect
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON1 October 2018
Cashiers are treated differently from employees in the departments. Cashiers have supervisors breathing down their necks and other departments do not.

Cashiers are often left alone with no security in an environment filled to the brim with aggressive customers. There is supposed to be an actual security officer to watch the functioning cameras but they haven’t employed one for a long time. Supervisors usually hang out at the customer service desk located at the other door.

Cash employees have been threatened, harrassed and one was even struck in the face when she was working alone while a number of supervisors were at the customer service desk.

When supervisors are around they micromanage the cash employees. They periodically check that cash is asking customers a ridiculous amount of questions on each transaction. If the questions are not all asked the cash member gets a poor grade.

They unhelpfully remind the cash to look as if they’re busy even when there is nothing to do. There are no customers, the cleaning is all done and the front shelves are all stocked, they either need to look busy or stand like horses in a stable at the front of the cash and not allowed to talk, until a customer comes by. Supervisors chat amongst each other about non-work topics all the time.

Cash is not allowed anything to drink but water. Not allowed snacks. Supervisors and customer service desk are allowed allowed coffee, pop, timbits, and anything else they can hide from view.

Several supervisors are against doling out breaks. Granted they’re not legally required but most employers
  more... don’t have this issue. And cash employees have been threatened to have breaks denied if they ask for break too many times. No one specified what counted as ‘too many’.

During my time there more than one colleague working other departments have remarked it seems like the supervisors “really hate” cash employees, and I have to agree. Granted, the supervisors have a lot of duties to tend to and many seem stressed out. But they seem to enjoy taking their frustrations out on cash employees by treating them like lesser being, somewhat beneath them. And the management allows this behaviour. More than once a cash employee raised concerns about supervisors only to be brushed off and have no action taken.

If you ever apply to work for Rona, my friendly advice is to NOT opt for a cash position. The department employees have their own issues to deal with but they don’t know the disrespect of cash.
Pros
Coworkers at the same level, the chance to work outside
Cons
Supervisors, management, distespect and established heirarchy
great friendly atmosphere
Cashier/Customer Service/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON26 September 2018
The hardest part of being a cashier is the standing and not much to do if you aren't busy. As with me I would clean you the front area not too far from my cash register to keep myself busy. My co-workers were awesome made it a nice friendly environment to work in.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
long time standing
Productive, helped me gain confidence with customers.
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB25 September 2018
A typical shift would be to clock in, help any customers not already being helped in the yard, straighten up/clean the yard in-between customers, and occasionally help straighten up inside the store, and then to clock out.
Pros
Employee of the month
Cons
Long hours in the sun
Heavy Lifting but Simple work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS25 September 2018
Convenient for students, no chance of advancement or raise, work weeks of 40 hours without full-time. Took 4 years for first raise, new management is questionable but work is solid and simple. Provides plenty of new knowledge and experience but incredibly hard on the body. Amazing culture with a very young staff that feels like a family.
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
Hard on the body
I Wish I could say better about this job
Electrical department team member (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON21 September 2018
Not worth the stress but that's just my opinion. It was alright for a summer job past that It was just simply not for me. Give it a shot if you feel like it though.
Can be a Fun work place, good people to work with.
Sales & Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 September 2018
Work with good people, low pay and large volumes of customers. If you have any sales ability, it will be wasted here, as such things go unnoticed. Good for filling in between real paying jobs.
Pros
Great short term job
Cons
Safety at the store level is CONCERNING
Ok
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 September 2018
Those you work with are very nice. Thats just about the only upside. Most customers are contractors or grumpy home owners that treat the workers poorly, customers usually take away from your shift, and cause you to hate having to come into work. After 3 months i was sick of being treated like garbage. Other than the customers, management is good. They're all very kind and understand if you have other priorities like school, another job etc. The hours are ok, however if you work evening you are for sure closing so doing that while your in school may not be something you want.
A horrible work environment
Supervisor/Commercial Sale Representative (Former Employee) –  golden mile18 September 2018
The store manager at my location was racist and it was a horrible environment to work in. Employee treatment was based on bias and not performance. Some managers were friendly.
Bonne entreprise
Coordonnatrice administrative (Current Employee) –  Repentigny, QC18 September 2018
J'aime bien travailler pour cette entreprise mais besoin de changement.
Pros
Proche de ma maison
Cons
Communication
Basic retail work experience
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 September 2018
Although my ratings say otherwise, Rona is still a job i consider a big chapter of my life due to the fact it was my first long term job. In my time working there i learned the importance about building relationships with clients and the future this could bring.
Okay place to work.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC13 September 2018
Nice people and not nice people, you kind of get what you put in to it. Minus the customers, those are mostly bad (rude old men/contractors 90% of the time) If you're a girl watch out because i stopped wearing makeup and nice clothes because of the comments i got from older men customers. I was super uncomfortable and got multiple stalkers and im not even a 6/10. Like come on. That's moreso the customers and not the employer but it comes with the territory. Had a few mean managers but the place still feels a bit like home because of some of my coworkers.
Pros
Sometimes a pizza lunch? Like once every few months?
Cons
Basically minimum wage, not treated the best, guilted into working more hours
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 September 2018
Management was always pretty friendly. The work environment was pleasant and team members treated each other like family. We had christmas parties together and did a lot of activities together as a team outside of work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RONA. Our community is ready to answer.