Rocky Mountaineer

Rocky Mountaineer Employee Reviews

My position was that of 'problem solving' and 'assistant' for both station managers and guests. Fast paced at times and slower at others - the learning (training) aspect when first hired could be refined to make it easier for both supervisors and us as new hires - but patience is needed and by end of first season, typically, a Lead Destination Host will feel more comfortable in the position.
Loved my Rocky family!! Met some truly amazing people!! Some of the sites I saw were so breathtaking and I'm so happy I took the chance to try the train!!
Pros
Beautiful sites
Cons
Confined space
Everyone is so welcoming; the management team is very reliable, available, fun !
You are well taken care of and trained properly before the job starts.

Good communication between all the teams

Great space to work in, in the centre of Vancouver
Pros
Management team
Cons
Rocky Mountaineer is a company that will give you the opportunity to grow as a professional. The staff is very friendly and as someone who has been working there for 5 years, you won't even notice how fast time flies when working with a community like this.

Their people and their culture is truly what makes this company such an amazing place for work.
I learned a lot at Rocky Mountaineer because it was my first job in Canada.
In addition, everyone is committed and makes you feel that you are part of a team
Extremely tough job but it gets easier with time. Lots of fun. Awesome people to work with. Awesome clientele. You are away for 4 days a week so that can take a toll on you.
I'd recommend rocky mountaineer to anyone looking for a job. It was a great experience and the company was super helpful and understanding when it came to schedulling.
The company is understaffed in certain departments, and overstaffed in others. Inexperienced management with poor communication between the various managers. Poor communication from managers to staff, we were unaware of rules until we were written up for breaking them. Very poor recognition and appreciation for hard work in luggage department. Poor sense of teamwork between different departments. Low pay, especially considering hours and difficulty of work tasks. Often rushed, poor time management, given no extra time for significantly larger passenger counts, (over 300% increase in passenger size with no extra time).
If you love to help people and work in team. Rocky Mountaineer is the best place to be. All the managers are very friendly and respectful. They understand your situation and position to help you.
I felt my abilities and skills were squashed and somewhat wasted working here. I wasn't encouraged to contribute nor was it appreciated when I did. it's a 'shut up and put up' culture and cheap salesmen excel while raw talent, which isn't directly generating sales, is overlooked and eventually leaves for better companies.

Sales are all that matters, talent is not valued.
Pros
Location is DT
Cons
Staff seemed afraid and I often heard backstabbing.
Becareful working for this company in ANY of there locations. On paper they have amazing HR policies surrounding work place harassment but in real life they don’t act on those policies
The actually work was awesome but very fast paced and stressful at times
Its a big happy family. We work well together and interact great. Met people from all around the globe. Management is extremely fun and friendly..very supportive
Salaries are not competitive or comparable to the cost of living in lower mainland Vancouver. High levels of seasonal positions when there is an ability to have regular/permanent staff.
The execs are puppets who can't think for themselves.
Managers are glorified babysitters.

The job you apply and interview for will be nothing like the job you end up doing.
I think it could be good but when your aren downloading 800 bags from a trailer without any training and safety rules in extreme weather conditions (summer hot and raining fall) you starts to thing “it doesn’t good that it sounds”. They don’t let you a time for rest your muscles, I get an hernia and the managers never ask for my medical situation, the payment it’s so bad for your physical effort. Schedule is the worst
Good managers and nice co-workers, especially at the Vancouver Station There is good empowerment. Everyone comes from different places and works together to create an outstanding customer service
For departure, I start work at 5:30 am. I either stay at the station to do check in or any other assignment, or I get sent to one of the partner hotels to do check ins and storytelling onboard a motor coach with a maximum of 50 guests. I learned how to handle high touch guests and solve problems on my own and with the help of the team. Management is very hands on with employees and make sure everyone is comfortable and well trained in their position. All your co workers are very friendly and is always willing to help you whenever you're in need. Most enjoyable part of my job as a Destination Host is having to meet and talk to several guests from all over the world and learning their culture!
I don't have much good to say, I left fairly quickly having acquired more reasonable pay for my industry. The only thing that stood out for me was the mandatory 'kool-aid drinking' which was clearly required to move up. I was not passionate about a train ride therefore could not fake the required enthusiasm and cheer leading the staff seem to be forced to perform.
Pros
Nothing stands out
Cons
fake enthusiasm about a silly train ride
Leaders don't make sound decisions. Too many things revolve around office politics, many great people have left due to this.(Highest turnover I have experienced). Lack of clarity on business focus; driven by used car salesmen tactics. Many managers and directors need more training on how to lead a team effectively especially in IT. Lots of talk about people being a top priority but little understand what the pain points are of their people. Work here while you find something better or till you can't take all the self aggrandizing town halls which seem to focus on executives pumping up their bloated egos for all to see..

Plenty of great people have left and let's not forget the history of unionized workers striking.
Pros
Nice building
Cons
Ego driven leadership
Nothing special involved in working here. Underpaid, overworked and extreme pressure are common themes.

I found the management to be rigid and overly paranoid, seemed they were very concerned with poor reviews from travel blogs over their own staff. Lots of turnover.

I suspect most of the reviews here are fake and written by HR. It is clear to see the similarities in the 5 stars. "Best people", "amazing journey", "Lot's of room for advancement". Those are not feelings shared internally.
so much fun working and the best office with a view! LONG DAYS be prepared for long working ours in front of guests and with minimal breaks. But you meet amazing people along your journey!