Rocky Mountain Equipment

Canada91 reviews

Insights into Rocky Mountain Equipment

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Great work environment

Featured review

Rocky Mountain Equipment selected this as a representative review
Coming in as a shy and quiet person, the corporate safety manager seen through that and approached me in a way to make me feel very comfortable and confident in the interview. He made it very easy for me to open up and discuss my experiences and abilities as a safety advisor. He looked beyond me being nervous interviewing and knew I was able and capable to succeed. Mo, the Corporate Safety Manager (At the time) was very easily approachable. He prided himself on his safety team. There wasn’t a day that went by where he didn’t say encouraging words to his team and coworkers. He advocated for his staff, encouraged us and often offered additional training and courses to see us all succeed. The office atmosphere at the corporate office was always upbeat and positive. The HR department was amazing. Unfortunately, due to the passing of my father, I had to leave the company to run the family business but I will say by far, this was the best company I had ever worked for during my time there (2013-2014)

Pros

Travel, independence, wage, environment, management

Definitely was a great place to work - Probably still is.

I really liked working for RME. They amalgamated the construction and agriculture shops into one and had to downsize. I'd still be working there otherwise. They trained well and provided a safe and respectful working environment. People stay when they are hired. The company really was good to work for. As for the job, it's all nuts and bolts.

Pros

Pay, experience, culture.

Cons

No company is perfect.

Good and Bad

Management is never permanent. The ones that stick around are pretty good and know how staff should be treatedOn call means possibly no sleep as you can be contacted at any hour of the day

Good Company, Steady

The people are terrific. The managers are good guys and care. The dealership can get quite busy during Planting season and Harvest but comes with the territory in Ag. The online training from Case is great, but the staff at the store are knowledgeable and helpful.

Pros

Steady hours good Pay

Cons

Busy seasons require overtime

Management is just a bunch of snakes looking to make their bonus bigger

The guys in the shop are great. The management is the worst I’ve ever seen in any company the higher ups do not care about the workers at all and if you try to stand up to them and make them do the right thing you’ll make them angry and they’ll let you go without cause. This company I wouldn’t wish my worst enemy to work at.

22 September 2021
RME is proud of its values, and foster a work environment of teamwork and dependability. We want our employees to have work-life-balance and encourage employees to come forward with any concerns or suggestions they may have, including directly to senior management. RME has a performance management policy that is adhered to before anyone is let go.

Fires employees during a pandemic

Fires employees during a pandemic when it is next to impossible to find other work. Completely blindsided, no meetings with managers leading up to this, no feedback instructing areas for improvement.

Cons

toxic head office

22 September 2021
Similar to most companies and industries, RME was impacted by the pandemic in an extreme way. However, RME had less than 2% staff reduction in 2020 due to the pandemic, which is a testament to the hard work and dedication of all RME employees taking care of our customers. RME has an Individual Development plan for each employee which is reviewed quarterly.

Good people

Great people, friendly environment. Lots of training/education. Great health and safety environment.

Cons

Long hours during seeding/harvesting

Horrible management

Amazing crew of guys to work with in the shop, but horrible management. They try to run the shop by using fear. God forbid you make a mistake since your human! They love throwing “coaching letters” around and threaten you with loosing your job. They don’t care how hard you work but one mistake and it’s the end of the world! They will do everything in there power to make you feel worthless

Pros

Good guys in the shop

Cons

Terrible management no respect

22 September 2021
RME takes a lot of pride in coaching employees if they make a mistake. RME has a performance management policy which is adhered to so that employees get the training and development they need to succeed.

Garbage

Terrible place. Backstabbing. Infighting. Top heavy. As long as you like being s%$t on you'll be fine. Expect to be told how garbage you are (unless you're terrible!) Then you'll succeed!

Pros

They arent late with the poor paychecks

Cons

Terrible upper management. Terrible culture. No training. Horrific attitudes

22 September 2021
RME takes pride in fostering a culture of respect and dignity. We do compensation analytics to make sure the pay our employees receive is competitive in the markets in which we operate. Each employee has a training plan structured for the role they are in which is a comprehensive mix of online training and sometimes in-person training.

Worst place I have worked in my career

Don’t make the mistake of working for Rocky. Everyone hates their jobs and the company. I have never worked in a more depressing environment. Senior management likes to belittle people. Read the reviews. You can tell the honest ones. Bonus is not attainable. If it is they change it or take it away entirely. But senior managers still get theirs. If you are salary you have to work evenings and weekends for the same pay. Do yourself a favour and work elsewhere. There are much better places to work. No such thing as job security here.

Pros

Cons

Long hours. Poor culture.

Terrible Experience and low pay

Laid me off without any reason. Terrible management and really weak employee appreciation. They have no loyalty to their employees and lack in the respect area!

Pros

Cons

Terrible Management in Calgary, low pay, shady, no loyalty.

did not have a great experience working for RME

the upper management in RME is not the greatest with what I experienced in the time that i was there. management did not take issues that the employees put forward seriously or just told us to suck it up and deal with it or there is the door. many a time i witnessed the upper management asking us what we thought was the problems at our branch and when we would tell them the issues they would ether get angry or just ignore our input.

Pros

hour long lunch

Cons

lack of work due to upset customer base not wanting to deal with rocky mountain equipment.

Horrific Experience All Together

The management is absolutely dreadful. They laid me off without even giving me a reason why. It doesnt matter how much you try to do your best, they will only see flaws and make sure to let you know about all of them. There are a couple nice coworkers but the rest are as toxic as they come. They will belittle you and micro-manage you. One person in particular will make your life a living h*ll which you will discover if you work here. I was only with RME a short while but in that time I learned that this was the worst job I have ever had. I would warn others away from this place, you can do much better.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Terrible Management, Communication Lacking

this place has way too many service managers turn around

This place has a upper management that do not listen to the people below them and think they have all the right answers. they hire people who have no idea on how the business or the areas that they dealing work or run. they treat their employees like a number and its all about the money not the customers.

Pros

The people you work with at the branch

Cons

the upper management is too top heavy

Terrible environment/ Don’t waste your time

This place is toxic. From the top down. They plan for a high turn over rate as it is dictated through the on boarding process. It seems to be a point of pride with the “Owner” that the level of employee retention is so low. If they focused on retaining good quality people I am confident the end result would be beneficial to the company and its customers. Employees constantly stab each other in the back. If you value your time and existence spend your life experience tokens elsewhere. Otherwise you will be disappointed. 9 out of 10 will agree. Right guys? Isn’t retention 1 out of 10? Or had is gone up? Maybe it’s 10 out of 10 now. How many sales reps have stayed over the past 5 years? My guess would be 2 / 400.

Pros

None to speak of

Cons

Rme

22 September 2021
Employee turnover and attrition is monitored extremely closely to ensure RME is making improvements. Over the last 5 years RME’s turnover has improved each year despite the market challenges. Our employees are our most valuable asset and we take pride in developing, training our staff and giving employees opportunities to grow including an Emerging Leaders program which is for employees who aspire to be managers in the future.

Toxic Place To Work

This company is top-heavy, there are always too many hands in the honey pot. Managers will throw you under the bus the first chance they get, take credit for your work, all to make themselves look better. Your family is most important until RME needs you to work, then your family doesn't matter. Harvest hours are unrealistic for anyone who has a family, and they're talking about goi g to 7 days a week. Job would be good for a single, unattached, hermit of a person that doesn't mind having their mental health being trampled on regularly. You don't matter to anyone at head office until you start costing them money or take time off, then they're all over you like a fat kid on a smartie. You will work weekends and every holiday through the busy season, but no one above branch-level does. Forget about bonuses, they're unachievable to anyone in the branch.

Pros

Wage can be decent if you fight for it.

Cons

Terrible hours, horrible management, conceited higher-ups

13 November 2020
Rocky Mountain Equipment employs all demographics of people including a large subset of individuals whom are married with children. One of the advantages to working at RME is employees go home every night to their families and the large majority of employees do not work away from home. If an employee works overtime RME follows employment standards laws for overtime pay while overtime must be approved by the manager. RME abides by the province’s statutory holiday guidelines. For the 2019 calendar year, 70% of bonus eligible employees received a bonus for hitting their branch targets.

Good 9 to 5 job

Fun place to work and good experience, Did my most of my apprentice there, long hours in the spring and fall, Good nice big shop to work in, good benefits

low pay

There was some good people to work with, pay was usually below market for almost all positions, no room for advancement and turnover was high though..

Rocky is like a family friendly environment. People have worked there for a long time. Everyone is supportive. Rocky also has good management. The company is able to survive economic downturns through the years.

Have worked at 10 places throughout my career and this place was by far the most poorly managed. Company is based soley on bean counters at the top.

Company management has no clue what is happening at branch level. Willing to drive away customers due to their ignorance and gouging of customers. Branch managers have no accountability for their actions so they abuse it and come to work or leave at their convenience.

27 May 2020
RME senior management boasts a diverse background of experience in Finance, Operations, After Market support and Operations support. Rocky Mountain Equipment appreciates feedback of any issues from both current and former employees. If you’d like to discuss this further, please call (403) 265-7364.

Toxic Environment

Lies from all levels of management begin in your initial interview. If you make the mistake of showing up for day one you will not be greeted. Show yourself to an office where you won't be discovered until you make some noise. Then you will be told your laptop and cell phone should arrive in the next week or so. Show up to work the next number of days and be given no direction. Walk around and waste time. Maybe the manager will tell you to go and ask a farmer if they'd allow you on their farm to learn how Rocky's products work. Once the laptop and cell phone arrive, congrats now you're really on your own. Show up each Monday for a soul crushingly depressing "sales meeting" If you do manage to find a farmer who doesn't despise Rocky Mtn and would consider looking at some pricing, good luck because now the hard work begins. Any equipment you want to quote, is broken. Any price in the system, is wrong. Get the advertised price signed by a farmer and upper management will decline the offer for no known reason. Needless to say, the toughest part of the job is getting management to help in any way. They will do every possible thing to make selling anything as hard as humanly possible. If you do manage to sell anything there's a good chance you'll just be paying the company back for the money they "loaned" you for the previous 6 months of no sales made. They don't pay minimum wage. If you get the "new" payplan, you get minimum wage plus 50% of the regular commission. This literally makes it impossible to reach 40,000 a year.

Pros

The day you find another job and are able to drop your stuff off

Cons

Signing on to work here

13 April 2020
The last Sales Consultant to leave the Vegreville branch was in May of 2019. Rocky Mountain Equipment prides itself on its employee onboarding and provides new Salesmen -Technical and Territory management training. The Rocky Mountain Equipment location in Vegreville has been a staple in the town for over 20 years and has seen plenty of success. We have long tenured staff members in all 3 departments at our Vegreville dealership that have all contributed to our successes in Vegreville.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rocky Mountain Equipment. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8