Rocky Mountain Equipment Employee Reviews

A growing company, finding it's place and rhythm.
Calgary Corporate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 May 2019
Working at RME has been amazing and continues to be an opportunity from my personal experience. The best part is the opportunity to showcase and grow.
A dedicated employee
Corporate Administration (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 May 2019
Staff turnover is always high - there is a reason for this and management must take a look at what is causing this. To constantly advertise, hire and train is costly to the company and we all suffer due to this expense.(re:no money for raises) and yet the executive team always receive their big bonuses. Lack of training especially for new employees is a blemish on our company ... and expectations are high and benefits are low. RME needs to value people over profits ... Staff are not trained in the 'customer experience' and again we fail in this area miserably. We do not have one woman in our HR dept. and please do not consider the Training assistant as an HR staff member. Lets become a real company and its time to impress our staff and not only the investors. Thanks for your time.
Calgary Corporate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 May 2019
I've been with RME for a few years now and I have yet to say the words 'I hate my job'. I absolutely love working here, I love the people I work with - including those at our branches! - and the atmosphere. There is a lot of support when it comes to Management and opportunities to grow within our roles, enhance our education and advance our skills. While there are times that are a bit quieter (which is common in our industry depending on the season), I have never had a day that was the same. Every day is something different, something new, so my job is never boring.
Work in Progress
Calgary Corporate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 May 2019
RME is improving, but has a long way to go. The management team means well, but they lack basic leadership skills. You can easily be seen as a resource that is used then tossed out. The culture is still evolving and needs more work. It is a sales organization and so they look at everything as a deal, "whats in it for me" instead of looking at how to grow and develop their people.

They are big on flexibility, but don't focus on work life balance in the sense that they don't worry about your family, just what you do for them.
Rocky Mountain Equipment
Sales (Current Employee) –  Manitoba6 May 2019
Great people to work with and everyone gets along fine. Would like more training time as there is a lot of paperwork required. Management is good and recognizes your extra efforts. Hardest part is the paper flow and a manual would be a great help. The best part is our customers who stop just to say hi and have a coffee. Nice to just chat and see how other people are doing.
Review title
Parts Technician (Current Employee) –  Kindersley6 May 2019
Typical days are fairly busy. Lots of challenges on a daily basis which makes for a rewarding day when you can solve a problem. The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers who are miserable. The best part is dealing with customers who were happy.
Upper management needs to appreciate the people who got them there.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB29 April 2019
This company says they care for the people who work for them but they don't you are the reason they got there. I Slowly witnessed fthe way they treat people when they leave which is wrong.working for this company will wreck your reputation because feel this is the way to replay you for all you hard work.
Pros
Cons
You reputation
A sad place to be.
IT Systems Architect/Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 April 2019
People who work there are great, however management is rotten, self serving and backstabbing. It was not a nice place to go everyday and most who work there know it and just along to ensure their own job security
Great Team and Stable company
Corporate Services (Current Employee) –  Calgary11 April 2019
I've worked for RME for a few years now, and its a been a stable company with a great people. Great Benefits for me and my family. Pay is good. Employee stock ownership plan is good value.
good people, good work
Heavy duty mechanic (Current Employee) –  Neepawa, MB26 March 2019
very friendly co-workers and management, good place to be and all of your co-workers are very knowledgeable in what they do. very positive work environment with all the required resources.
Pros
great people
Cons
variable hours
Don’t apply here. Not worth the stress.
Service Writer/Warranty Writer (Former Employee) –  Manitoba13 March 2019
My experience at RME was mostly bitter and a little sweet. My direct manager at dealer level in the Service department was amazing. Management beyond him failed me on more occasion than one. I was harassed in the work place by a manager in a different department and not a single thing was done, myself and the situation was brushed under the rug by corporate and never spoken about again.
I recently gave my notice after nearly a year of sticking out the daily frustration of working for a company that allows executive managers to treat employees like garbage on a daily basis with the only focus being on making sure those front line employees bring in revenue at all cost. Bottom line focused. Nothing else matters. I was respectful when I gave my notice and gave more time than legally required. When required to explain why I was leaving, my honesty regarding my perception about my continued treatment by a single manager, got me terminated effective immediately because that said manger “didn’t agree” with my perception of his treatment towards myself and other employees he is superior too.

Rocky Mountain Equipment failed me on so many occasions I can’t possibly list them all here in a review.
I was a great employee, I know so because dealer level managers acknowledged my hard work and dedication to my job. Corporate behaviour and attitudes however made me cynical and loathing towards coming to work everyday.
Pros
Starting wage was promising. Consistent schedule.
Cons
Most things involving MB Divisional Managers
Terrible management Edmonton Branch
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2019
The Edmonton Branch is a very poorly managed branch from the Branch Manager,Parts Manager & Service Manager all the way down the ladder. 6 Service Managers in 12 month period in turnover rate. Mechanics in the service bay are continually leaving after 2 to 5 months of being employed at RME. Very poor culture & very poorly managed.
Pros
Cons
Terrible environment to work in.
Excellent Career Oportunities
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Manitoba26 February 2019
I have been working with RME for almost 10 years now. RME is a good solid place to work. There have been changes as most companies have, but I do like the changes happening over the last few years. This is the first company that I have seen who actually hold their lower performer employees accountable. I have seen multiple occasions of manager speaking with the people and trying to help them grow and help them get better. If you don't want a full time job, or only want to work 50% of the time don't apply. RME wants people that will contribute to the greater good and make sure our customers are treated the best way possible. If you want a full time job, Great benefits, a good salary and want to contribute to something more, then RME has a place for you. There are tons of opportunities, great staff, management
Pros
You can easily talk to managament
Cons
Some long days during seeding and harvest
Great place to work for hard working & driven individuals
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Grimshaw, AB17 January 2019
Have worked here for 6 years now; started as a 1st year apprentice and am now in management. High demand for service employees during spring/fall, but during summer/winter there's no issues getting time off. With that being said, even when I had a child born during harvest I had no issues getting 2 weeks off to spend time at home with my family. The company has always looked after me, and the employees I'm responsible for.
Pros
Reward/recognize hard work & commitment, opportunity to move up the ladder, competitive wages
Cons
High demand for hours during spring/fall
No support from management.
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Balzac, AB16 December 2018
I always thought RME was a great company but then I worked for them. Considering they are a Calgary based company I thought I wouldn't get treated like a number in their home branch. Nope, I was wrong. I got my apprenticeship but I had to fight management regularly for it. I got zero support from management and HR. All management did was belittle me. My experience with the employees was great and the job culture was nothing more then ok. On top of everything their building is old and always had problems. I will not recommend this company to anyone who is interested in working in the heavy equipment industry.
Pros
Great employees to work with
Cons
Terrable Managemant
Great place to work, Poor managment
Service (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 November 2018
Lots of great people to work with. Management is too top heavy. Corporate is out of touch with customer and employees. Nothing was ever good enough. Constant worry of being disciplined/fired. More concerned about being profitable than taking care of the customers/employees. Lots of hard working people at RME, but no one is recognized for going to the extra mile. Too many people in the chain of command, and none of them contributing to actually making the company any better.
Pros
Amazing staff and customers. Free lunches. Decent pay and benefits.Busy place.
Cons
Poor management outside the stores. You are just a number to this place. Slows down in winter time.
Good to work for
Service technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 October 2018
Great place to work. Good people in the stores. Sometimes upper corporate management likes to micromanage some things and ignore other issues. But overall good to work for.
Pros
paid on call
Cons
micromanagement
Ok place
worker (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB20 September 2018
Nice people to work with, moved a lot of jobs to calgary. Benefits were average. More concerned with getting new branches and divisions than taking care of the ones they have.
Company is top heavy.
Agricultural Machinery Technician (Former Employee) –  Moosomin, SK13 September 2018
To many people with ideas that are out of touch with the customers and the employees, especially the service and parts techs.
You have to fight for the the wage you can get tooth and nail, every time I was reviewed they were happy with performance but could not give more money to to economy, other employees, monthly budgets etc..
bonus system out of touch,now replaced with system that is meant to drive service sales whether machinery needs it or not.
Poor out of store management, not personable.
Pros
Good benefits, decent rsp match program.
Cons
Poor leadership outside of the store you’re in. Skilled tradespeople, are not considered an asset, as they should be.
Terrible place to work if you hold any value to your free time
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Balzac, AB13 July 2018
If you value your free time and having any type of work/life balance this is not the place to work. If you don’t have a life and want to make a bunch of money, these guys will work the bag off you and give zero appreciation for it. Work more hours than legally required, take a day off after working nearly 2 months straight without any time to yourself and you will lose your job for standing up the manager. I do not recommend working here at all. Get an apprenticeship started, and get out of there soon as you complete it.
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
Zero job security, you are just a number to this place.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rocky Mountain Equipment. Our community is ready to answer.