Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory Employee Reviews

Job is easy by management is very bad.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Blue Mountains, ON14 April 2019
The owner is very unorganized and sends the schedule on Monday
(for that day and the rest of the week). He also pays in cash which is not allowed, and means that you do not get your T4 forms. The manager that worked there when I did was also unorganized and did not seem to communicate with the owner. The job itself is fun and easy as all you are doing is making and selling chocolate. The hardest part of this job would be dealing with the owner and the manager.
Pros
Free chocolate when it is made wrong
Cons
Late sent schedules, paid in cash
good place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 March 2019
make sure you have product made for store.
server customers , take orders , keep store looking clean ,
make models of chocolate, every one is nice to work with.
Pros
fun plase to work.
Cons
coverd in chocolate
Good place to worn
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 January 2019
Was good place to work. Structured environment but willing to do the hard work and brought more experience to the table. Helped gain more knowledge for the sales aspect.
Good to bad/ Seasonal
Greeter (Former Employee) –  British Columbia11 December 2018
Shifts went from manageable to earlier and earlier making it harder to get to work without a licence,
got sent home early because I had my arm posed the wrong way trying to deal with the amount of endurance needed to hold the tray, customers are rude and often take samples without listening to what you have to say, manager blames the employee for things they have no control over, training is inconsistent between management and supervisors and employee will get in trouble just trying to figure out things on their own because nobody can agree on what's correct. While most of the time manager is kind, they are not very understanding, they scheduled me for work on a day i told them i had an appointment. Staff are mostly kind and fun with the exception of one person.
Very little organization with training new employees yet you are expected to work lightning speed in a few days.
Pros
Occassionally get to try the samples
Cons
Painful work, rude customers, low pay, terrible training, foodsafe standards low
A local company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC20 November 2018
A store that everyday there are new things to do and make, allowing you to strengthen your creative muscles. Customers are a huge joy every day, and working in a small local store is a great way to learn how business works.
a fun workplace to learn new things
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 November 2018
My time spent with Rocky Mountain presented many new and important experiences such as improvement of people skills, time management and responsibility. Engaging with new people everyday proved to keep the job interesting while maintaining close relationships with my coworkers. This job helped me learn how to stand up for myself and what I believe in. For the most part, my experience with management was pleasant. My fondest memory of the job was being given the chance to produce the product that was being sold in the store. It helped me to appreciate the extensive work it takes to perfect a skill. I will always think fondly about my time with Rocky Mountain.
Pros
steady hours
Cons
limited free speech
Favorite place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS9 August 2018
I loved my job at Rocky Mountain, a very fun place to work. My managers were fine to work for and if i needed time off it was no problem. There was always something to do which made it never boring.
Environnement normal
Commis (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 July 2018
Pas d'expérience désagréable ni agréable. Juste normal.
Cons
Courte pauses
Not very exciting, owner can be irritating, new manager is unpleasant
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 April 2018
Not the most fun, exciting, or positive place to work. Owner isn't bad, but mildly irritating. Previous manager was great, but she quit and the new manager is decidedly unpleasant. Could definitely treat employees better.
Fun, amazing workplace
Cashier/Customer Service/Stock (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB24 April 2018
I think this is the best job I've had in terms of life balance, fun, workload and productivity. I've not yet had a job that was so challenging in a good way such as this. I never felt overwhelmed, but was always busy; never felt like I was asked too much or too little of; and making the treats was absolutely amazing. My coworkers (aside from one who never showed up for work and proceeded to yell at my boss for not giving him any shifts after a month of not coming in; and the regional manager who was borderline racist) were absolutely awesome, and I felt really at home at this job.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 March 2018
This was a fun first job! You get to try all of the apples through the daily samples. I got to work closely with the manager who hired me. I learned a lot about chocolate, and the basics of cash handling. You get to make different products daily. Full time employees are trained to do more than part time employees. The owner of the franchise was tough on part time employees for not knowing everything that the full time employees were trained on. Would definitely recommend for a first job!
Pros
Discounted treats
Working for Rocky Mountain was a great experience.
Retail Assistant Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  British Columbia14 March 2018
I really enjoyed my time working for Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, I would recommend it to anyone with a passion for chocolate and retail. The management and ownership is great and really listen to you when needed.
do not recommend working here!
Store Manager (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON2 February 2018
very busy and very understaffed, dealing with a lot of tourist, so the language barrier can get challenging. Long hours, with no extra pay. Management/owners are not very nice people to work for and can't keep staff.
Pros
good chocolate
Cons
tight pants
Unorganized
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON15 January 2018
The owners of the store I worked at owed three stores and only ever focused time or effort to one as well as it seemed as though they only bought them out of retirment boredom.
Pros
Chocolate
Cons
Unorganized
Fun place to work with weight on your shoulders
Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON5 January 2018
I found the job to be a lot of fun when it came to the creative part of it, i.e decorating, creating things, coming up with ideas etc. But as far as communication goes towards management and is something that was a HUGE downside to working for the particular store.
I learned quite a bit with some training, I felt I had to learn a lot of my own day to day. The atmosphere of the staff was great.
I also found that some staff are lazy and don't assist or fill the role of their positions making your work load heavier.
I found the hardest part about the job was the lack of communication, made it difficult to plan things and get everyone on the same page.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be the creative aspect.
Pros
Tasting delicious treats, flexible hours
Cons
No gratitude towards staff or management
enjoyable and motivational work atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON30 December 2017
This jab was overall quite enjoyable and educating. All employees at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory get the opportunity to learn many new chocolate production techniques allowing for the acquisition of many new skills. The management is fair and the expectations are clear. With proper dedication and willingness to learn it is easy for anyone to master this job.
Pros
sample
Cons
weekend hours
Sweet
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2017
Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory was everything you expected of for working in a chocolate store. Other than all of the sweets, the nature of the customers made the experience joyful and pleasant. The team was also very helpful and made the environment feel welcoming and natural.
Bad
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC26 September 2017
You have no work life balance, I agree with the other review someone else left, you are required to pay for parking if you have a shift in the ferry terminal. You do not get reembursed for that money. They have no standards for health code. Staff constantly tell you if you drop product on the floor to just put it back to sell to customers. I didn't stick around for long.
Pros
Most staff were pleasant to work with
Cons
Management very controlling, pay for parking, no time off, under staffed
fun to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2017
cooking, filing, filling, fast pasted, positive work envirenment, customer service, managment is fun, i liked woring there, lots of chocolate everywhere
Verbal and emotional abuse from management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC4 September 2017
Change schedule at last minute, don't honour time off requests (constantly scheduled during class time), no HR standards at all. Management breaks promises. No work/life balance. Food safety standards are non-existent (actually felt bad serving certain things to customers). She manages through fear and never admits her own mistakes (of which she makes many).
Pros
Get to be somewhat creative
Cons
Everything else