RLB LLP

RLB LLP Employee Reviews for Staff Accountant

Staff Accountant5 reviews
Canada5 reviews
While public accounting will always have busy times of the year, RLB makes sure that it supports its employees and rewards them for their hard work. RLB takes the time to make employees feel valued, and the team atmosphere is very supportive and positive. You can go to practically anyone in the firm with a question and you will be greeted with a smile (most of the time!).

There is lots of room for upwards growth, particularly if you are in the CPA stream. Time off can be booked towards studying for CPA modules, and ample amount of time is given to study for the CFE.

Overall, while it does get busy and a bit stressful during busy season, it is made up for by the fact that overtime hours are banked and put towards Fridays off in the summer and additional vacation days. Catered team dinners during busy season also help! Plus, the people are very supportive and take time to make sure that your workload is manageable and that you aren't overworked.
I really enjoy working at RLB. When being interviewed they focused more on my personality and compatibility with their office culture than they did looking at my grades. It's great to know that numbers isn't the only thing they care about.

The people here are not your typical accountants, and there's a lot of fun stuff going on outside of work.

There are definitely longer hours during tax season, but this an expectation at any public account office you will find. The firm banks overtime which is not common in most public accounting offices. You can either choose to be paid out or use it for extra vacation over the summer or fall.

Also, there is always food around. Fresh fruit and snack are available every day and even more during tax season.
Pros
Banked overtime, environment, flexibility
Cons
RLB offers flexible hours making it easy to manage work/life balance. With a larger employee base they offer a number of opportunities to grow and gain knowledge. The firm is very much so focused on the people and how they can make work more enjoyable. Not only do they offer catered dinners during tax season they also offer a number of different de-stress opportunities such as fun nights out with the family and massages. RLB truly defines a work hard, play hard mentality in their work space.
I have worked at RLB for 4 years and love the work/life balance that is promoted in the firm. The ability to flex my working hours when my family needs it has been a huge benefit to me. The HR department has also been excellent in working with me to set up an ongoing flex arrangement. I work with multiple teams within the firm, and even though we have grown a lot in the last few years it is still a friendly, "know (almost) everyone" welcoming place to work. I love the opportunities I have had here, from the variety of work and responsibilities, to the promotion options available to me, even as a non-designated staff member. Working extra time during the busy season allows for Friday's off during July and August, and any additional time banked can be used as extra time off or be paid out. To keep spirits up during the busy season there are extra persk available ...health snack Wednesday, dinners on Tuesday & Thursday, "Pi" day, cookie countdowns and many more!
This is a terrible place to work.
They don't care about their employees, only numbers.

Employees are crammed in work spaces.

They are expected to generate new clients, even at the junior level.

During tax season an 80hr work week is applauded and it makes everyone else feel like they should do the same.

At the end of tax season, they do a mass lay-off so they don't have to pay staff over the slower months.
Pros
Take out dinners provided during tax season
Cons
Very long hours during tax season