RLB LLP

RLB LLP Employee Reviews in Guelph, ON

Guelph, ON21 reviews
This company is wonderful to work for. Every morning I wake up excited to go to work! From the day I started, the environment was very friendly. Everyone is eager and willing to help each other. The company has great benefits and you can experience a perfect work-life balance.
I've worked for RLB for eight years and have experienced the significant amount of growth that has made the firm the top regional accounting firm in Ontario. Although overtime is required during busy season (January - April), RLB continuously strives to provide work/life balance to their employees by providing employees autonomy and flex time throughout the year as well as Fridays off in the summer (July and August). This has created a level of increased employee satisfaction and motivation throughout the firm and is often looked at by other firms/businesses to replicate. My salary is comparable to the accounting industry in our geographical location with the added incentive that Manager's and below are paid for every hour of overtime they work. RLB does provide the ability for team members to use their overtime to take additional time off in our non-peak seasons. I've been fortunate enough to use my vacation and banked overtime over the years to take (extended) vacations and additional days for long weekends - all without having to take unpaid time off. RLB also provides dinners twice a week during busy season, sponsors various sports teams for employees to participate on and provides fitness reimbursements to each employee to encourage a healthy lifestyle. The Partners at the firm truly believe in making RLB a legacy firm and have invested significant time and money to ensuring that team members experience continued growth in their role. I look forward to what the future has in store for the firm and encourage those looking for a role within the firm to give it a shot!
While public accounting will always have busy times of the year, RLB makes sure that it supports its employees and rewards them for their hard work. RLB takes the time to make employees feel valued, and the team atmosphere is very supportive and positive. You can go to practically anyone in the firm with a question and you will be greeted with a smile (most of the time!).

There is lots of room for upwards growth, particularly if you are in the CPA stream. Time off can be booked towards studying for CPA modules, and ample amount of time is given to study for the CFE.

Overall, while it does get busy and a bit stressful during busy season, it is made up for by the fact that overtime hours are banked and put towards Fridays off in the summer and additional vacation days. Catered team dinners during busy season also help! Plus, the people are very supportive and take time to make sure that your workload is manageable and that you aren't overworked.
RLB has been going through some growth pains over the past few years, but they are on their way to great things!

The firm is always looking to improve, and takes employee feedback seriously. They may not be at the forefront of change, but they will track and follow social, work environment, technological, and other changes closely.

You can't sit-back without pride or accountability in your work, but if you enjoy what you do and put in some effort, RLB does their best to reward you for it.
I really enjoy working at RLB. When being interviewed they focused more on my personality and compatibility with their office culture than they did looking at my grades. It's great to know that numbers isn't the only thing they care about.

The people here are not your typical accountants, and there's a lot of fun stuff going on outside of work.

There are definitely longer hours during tax season, but this an expectation at any public account office you will find. The firm banks overtime which is not common in most public accounting offices. You can either choose to be paid out or use it for extra vacation over the summer or fall.

Also, there is always food around. Fresh fruit and snack are available every day and even more during tax season.
Pros
Banked overtime, environment, flexibility
Cons
Although overtime is mandatory in our busy season (over the winter), RLB strives to provide work/life balance by providing employees autonomy/flex time and Fridays off in the summer, which increases employee satisfaction/motivation. Salary is comparable to industry with the added bonus that managers and below are paid for every hour of overtime they work. The alternative is to use overtime to take additional time off during less busy seasons. I've been lucky enough to use this additional time off to travel for longer periods of time. RLB also sponsors various sports teams and provides fitness reimbursements to encourage a healthy lifestyle.

Management is very approachable - most superiors use an open door policy.
Everyone is nice and welcoming, you feel apart of the team from day 1! The workplace culture is laid back, infused with lots of yummy snacks and meals when work life is busy. Employees are encouraged to take the time they need to ensure a work-life balance.
Everyone is so friendly and eager to help out.
Never feel alone, always support close at hand.

Hardest part of the job is managing the workload, learning to delegate.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere!!
In the year I have worked here, I do not have one complaint about RLB. They are excellent with accommodations and recognize their staffs hard work.
One of the best jobs I have ever had!
Pros
Free lunches, free coffee, appreciation gifts
Cons
During tax season, the hours are long
I've had a few jobs in various fields and can say without a doubt that RLB is the best place by far! The work/life balance is incredible, team activities, free meals/snacks, and firm wide recognition for your achievements at any level. Their variation in salary ranges needs a bit of work but the management/HR teams are always willing to have those conversations and work towards a mutual agreement where everyone is happy. Overall I would definitely recommend RLB to anyone!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at RLB LLP?
RLB truly understands the need for a work life balance.

Being a working parent sometimes you can feel torn between what is best for your family and your obligations to your employer.

Luckily at RLB I have never felt that I could not manage both.

They are flexible when it comes to appointments needed to attend, school trips that your children beg you to go on, staying home sick yourself or with a little on, etc..

This helps put my mind at ease and not worry about harsh repercussions if something suddenly comes up and I need to leave or take time off.

RLB knows the meaning of family and I am so happy that I am part of the RLB family.
RLB is a wonderful place to work! Senior management and Partners show a strong commitment towards the personal and professional growth of their employees evidenced by the professional development opportunities offered and the ability to work within different service teams at the firm to further development and learning. With dedication there is room for advancement in the accounting roles here.

They promote work/life balance by offering flexible schedules and the ability to work offsite when required. They offer fun family and staff-only events to relieve stress and come together as a team outside of work.

The work is exciting and challenging.

The Guelph office is open and spacious with lounge and rest areas for staff. There is coffee, tea and pop free for staff and in tax season there are healthy snack days and catered evening meals for those working long hours.

As an accounting firm there are the expected long hours in tax season but the busy season overtime is offset by Fridays off in July and August.
RLB offers flexible hours making it easy to manage work/life balance. With a larger employee base they offer a number of opportunities to grow and gain knowledge. The firm is very much so focused on the people and how they can make work more enjoyable. Not only do they offer catered dinners during tax season they also offer a number of different de-stress opportunities such as fun nights out with the family and massages. RLB truly defines a work hard, play hard mentality in their work space.
I have worked at RLB for 4 years and love the work/life balance that is promoted in the firm. The ability to flex my working hours when my family needs it has been a huge benefit to me. The HR department has also been excellent in working with me to set up an ongoing flex arrangement. I work with multiple teams within the firm, and even though we have grown a lot in the last few years it is still a friendly, "know (almost) everyone" welcoming place to work. I love the opportunities I have had here, from the variety of work and responsibilities, to the promotion options available to me, even as a non-designated staff member. Working extra time during the busy season allows for Friday's off during July and August, and any additional time banked can be used as extra time off or be paid out. To keep spirits up during the busy season there are extra persk available ...health snack Wednesday, dinners on Tuesday & Thursday, "Pi" day, cookie countdowns and many more!
During the past year and a half, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time working at RLB. The partnership group is truly committed to the growth and development of all their employees. They offer generous amounts of professional development, both internally and externally along with continual opportunities for career progression and growth. While there are certainly long hours during the busy tax season (it is public accounting after all!), paid overtime, Fridays off in the summer, flexible work arrangements and opportunities for extended time off balance this out. I have also always been able to take time off as needed to deal with family situations and have always been told "family first." The pay is competitive and a week of paid personal time is always helpful! Free coffee and pop throughout the year, along with lots of treat days and free dinners during busy season are also appreciated. Lots of team-building events including awesome tax parties, holidays parties, family bowling nights, kids movie nights, axe throwing, and more help create a friendly and warm environment where you feel like a person, not a number. Overall, great place to work!
I left an fabulous position with a large financial institute to help manage RLB... and I was running to an opportunity not away from one I didn't love! Over the past 5 years I have been given autonomy, flexibility, support, feedback (good and bad), great compensation and fun in the work place too. As an organization do they (we) have it all figured out- not at all- but tell me a place that does. The difference is there is a willingness to change and grow, and it happens (new offices, new offereing, new free dinners!) at a pace that is lightening fast (compared to large organization) and painfully slow (if you are used to a tech start up). At the core the ownership (partners) are family focused, competitive, kind, approachable people trying to do the right thing for their clients, community and team... every single day. If you want to work at a growth company trying its best everyday then RLB is for you. And yes... there are lots of free snacks!
If this is such a great company to work for, then why are they always hiring. The turnover is very high at this company for a good reason. It's an awful company that does not pay overtime. The HR department spends more time on trying to win awards then actually providing HR services to their employees. Stay away from this company. If I could give it a rating of zero I would
Pros
some free lunches...big deal!
Cons
Old Boys culture
Very professional and structured Accounting Firm. Friendly Partners, managers and co-workers. Excellent training. A place where people count. RLB is Awesome!
Pros
Lots of learning and growing opportunities.
Cons
Long working hours
talk more about the firm's financial goals at events and how you want the people to get you there, that is where the people matter to this firm

old hardware and software, but they are working on it still....

poor job of quoting clients creates unrealistic expectations of how long the jobs should take and it becomes the workers fault even when the employee tries to let the manager know it is taking too long

pay up front benefits package in a company of this size when a traditional package would be easily maintainable

if there is a personality conflict with the manager expect your walking papers suddenly and without any kind of discussion before hand, once again exactly what a real "people company" would do instead of trying to help find a mutually beneficial solution when the worker is the one looking for help repeatedly.

too dependent on online management tools to reduce the requirement of team interaction

do you want your voice or input on departmental changes to matter? you better not be below a manager's position
Pros
free dinner during tax season if you work over 10 hours that day
Cons
false information during the interview, not a team environment at all
- The work/life balance here is great! They 100% care about you and your family
- everyone here lives and breathes the team-based atmosphere

- busy tax season = Friday's off in July and August and any extra hours for more time off or $.

- great salary

- ergonomic set-up

- great office hours

- a lot of opportunity for development within the company. RLB keeps growing!

- free coffee, pop, juice, fruit, wi-fi, parking and loads of free food during tax season
Pros
Friday's off in the summer, work/life balance, good pay
Cons
N/a
This is a terrible place to work.
They don't care about their employees, only numbers.

Employees are crammed in work spaces.

They are expected to generate new clients, even at the junior level.

During tax season an 80hr work week is applauded and it makes everyone else feel like they should do the same.

At the end of tax season, they do a mass lay-off so they don't have to pay staff over the slower months.
Pros
Take out dinners provided during tax season
Cons
Very long hours during tax season