Play YouTube video button
Ritchie Bros.

Ritchie Bros. Pay & benefits reviews

Canada88 reviews
Featured review
Ritchie Bros. selected this as a representative review
RBA is great company to work for. It treats its employees on priority and provides various opportunities. It's great place to learn if you're willing to invest your time.
Coworkers were great, management was toxic. The only way to move up in the company was to be friends with a manager, not based on knowledge or experience or education. Absolutely NO job stability.
Pros
great Health benefits.
The job is monotonous and boring. There is clear favouritism and politics within this organization. A lot of the "growth" opportunities are selected prior to the actual job is posted.

There are AMs that find loopholes in the system and manipulate the ethical way of performing the job. Nothing will happen to them if they bring in DGP (revenue) to the company. In fact, they will be praised for bringing in the numbers. The meetings and huddles are repetitive and say the same thing over and over again. This company is only about numbers, not developing the individual. Yes, there is growth opportunity but they know who they are hiring before the job is posted. A-lot of "FLUFF" is fed to us daily with the BULL***** the upper management team says. I found certain managers and upper managers liars and truthfully dont know a thing of whats going on or how to bring bring out the best in someone. There is no real coaches or mentors here. Everyone is focused on the dollar in their pocket. Not development. Very disappointing to say the least

This is NOT a career opportunity. If you are looking to build your business skills and learn new skills, this place is NOT for you. You can hire a monkey or robot to do this job. Make 100 brainless calls per day and say the same thing over and over again and you'll do alright. This place will lower your IQ by the minute with what you will be doing daily.

I would not recommend this job to anyone. Absolutely terrible place to work

I currently work here, but hopefully not for long.
Official response from Ritchie Bros.
29 July 2020
We are truly sorry to hear about your experience. As you are likely already aware, at Ritchie Bros we are deeply committed to a process of continuous improvement in order to create the best employment experience for everyone. As such, we will definitely be bringing your concerns forward in order to determine the validity of the points you are making and make improvements to our process whenever necessary. Our business provides a unique environment and while we may not be the right match for everyone, we are committed to developing and rewarding team members that consistently put in the effort required to thrive and succeed. The experience you are describing is very unusual. Our employees consistently tell us that our meritocratic environment rewards their strong performance while offering industry leading benefits, unlimited compensation potential and great work, life balance. We would encourage you to share your concerns with your manager directly or confidentiality with HR so that we can address your concerns and provide you with some options that will help you to improve your experience with us.
Very poor and immature management style. Low base salary and poor commission. Departments don't work together. Management does not really manage nor motivate their team members. Repetitive and boring job. Do not recommend it.
Good management well organized awsome safety program . Long hours with lots of over time . Good verbal communication and lots of chances for advancement. All equipment is well maintained and in good condition
I did an interview with two managers. Before the interview started they hand me their business cards? Okay.
The job being offered is a 40k based salary with no commission. For myself I had to take a huge pay cut in my base salary and lose out on commission from my current job. I wasn't really sold on the job and did not feel it will be a right fit. Good luck. Nice office though.
As an accountant at corporate level, Ritchie Bros employed sophisticated IT software, have tight monthly reporting deadlines and amazing workplace with on-site gym, cafeteria and daycare facilities.

But extremely political environment in Finance Department and racist opinion about different nationalities.

Promoting people of only certain nationalities and firing employees on 1 day notice (Reason: Restructuring).

Salary is moderate compared to cost of living in lower mainland but lot of parking available on site (plus point).
Ritchie Bros demands a lot from their employees which has a direct impact on work, life, balance for minimal pay. Unfortunately there has been very little culture which has had a direct impact on employee morale.

The corporate office in Vancouver is beautiful with an onsite cafeteria, gym and daycare.
Good benefits package.
Great company which means well, but room for improvement.

Pros:

Great company events, free gym, free trainer seminars, great work hour flexibility.

Cons:

Although it is sold as finance position, it is mostly cold calling and data entry. There is a disconnect between departments which causes confusion and bottleneck leaving the customer with the short end of the stick at times. Lack of support system from management. Daily sales meeting with the same 4 things mentioned every morning.
Sales cycle longer than average and the compensation does not make up for the hard work put in.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Ritchie Bros.?
Hard work and long hours around the sale cycle on sites. Great people on the sites to work with. Managers work with you on sites. Too much division between corporate and on site workers.
Pros
Flexible work hours between sales
Cons
long hours at sale time
great place to work staff is friendly and its easy to do and fun place to work. sometimes job gets difficult but just have to plan things and work it out and it all comes together
Pros
free lunches and breaks
Cons
nothing
they are very understanding when you have appointments and other things that you have to do. working there they are super laid back if you are late they understand.

working there was a lot of fun and would 100% recommend to those who are thinking about working there.
Pros
catered lunches during weeks before sale, very good at their jobs, good amount of opportunities for over time work.
Cons
lots of harsh language.
Handling and doing all types of work.
Running all types of equipment in all different aspects.

Meeting a verity of people and meeting deadlines as well.

Doing light maintenance of equipment
Pros
Steady year round work with benefits.
Cons
Not enough home time
There are way too many issues to list but here are a few:
- Employees don’t matter, people are a number and are replaceable which would explain the high employee turnover since our leadership came on board about 4 years ago.

- The company is a sales organization run by HR with individuals who don’t come from a sales background. HR is more about aligning with the business rather than being the voice for employees.

- Our leadership no longer instills the values of the founder, Dave Ritchie, the core reasons why the company became a success to begin with. They are listed as our core values but what happens behind closed doors is a very different story. Our CEO is about the bottom line and has no regard with how the company gets there even if it’s at the expense of others.

- There is no longer any culture, you will rarely see people smiling.

- Compensation is not industry comparable, long hours need to be worked to hit targets and the bonus payout is nothing to write home about especially considering the long hours put in to achieve it. Ritchie Bros is a multi-billion dollar company, compensation is more of a start up company wage.
- The company is no longer able to offer a work-life balance environment due to unrealistic expectations and workload.

- Companies are always going through change and change is good but it should never be at the expense of employees which is the new world of Ritchie Bros.

Words of advice - if you’re looking for a place where quality of life matters and your opinion matters, save yourself the heartache and don’t bother. You will slowly lose yourself
 - more...
Fast paced micro managed in sales area, stressful at times to meet dead lines with various platforms to present and sale days fast approaching,discouraging to deal with clients after poor results
Pros
Benefits, great people, great pay
Cons
pressure of deadlines and clients not satisfied
Terrible company and management, they only hire managers who know how to bully employees, and they do this to themselves as well!! Nothing but fighting and crying going on at head office (Vancouver) amongst the management teams.
It is really that bad.
Pros
Cons
Long hours no extra compensation
A typical work day would consist of constant follow up on your business unit and answer a high level of phone calls that relates just about anything. You learn to become assertive and unsympathetic to get the job done. Management , its a matter of luck who you got, but be warned that mood swings will constantly fluctuate and if you dont cope with it, you're pretty much done. workplace culture, you work for the shareholders and results, nothing appreciated for any work that is done. long hours. and managers do expect something that is over the moon.
Pros
benefits, free bread fridays, co-workers
Cons
high stress, micromanagement, no values.
Ritchie Bros Auctioneers is a great place to work. The staff are friendly and the culture is like nothing else. The company offers options for work advancement, training and development and great benefits.
Did you know that this is one of the largest equipment hubs in the world? Right here in the heart of Alberta, minutes from the EIA. I'm pretty sure the boys in Texas are taking notes on how things are done up here at this RB Auction Site!
Pros
free food at auctions
Cons
I have learnt that how important to support Women leadership in North America.
How important to be a good leader and how to build positive workplace relationship with colleagues and clients.
Pros
Employees, Orange blood, fun live auctions
Cons
Low salary
Great Company, awesome people, State of the Art IT Infrastructure. It is a great place to work and benefits are really good. Management pays heed to employee suggestions and make changes based on Feedback. Great work culture and Work-Life balance.