Ritchie Bros.

Ritchie Bros. Employee Reviews

Canada82 reviews
Featured review
Ritchie Bros. selected this as a representative review
Great company to work for
RBA is great company to work for. It treats its employees on priority and provides various opportunities. It's great place to learn if you're willing to invest your time.
RBFS is a joke of an organization
The job is monotonous and boring. There is clear favouritism and politics within this organization. A lot of the "growth" opportunities are selected prior to the actual job is posted.

There are AMs that find loopholes in the system and manipulate the ethical way of performing the job. Nothing will happen to them if they bring in DGP (revenue) to the company. In fact, they will be praised for bringing in the numbers. The meetings and huddles are repetitive and say the same thing over and over again. This company is only about numbers, not developing the individual. Yes, there is growth opportunity but they know who they are hiring before the job is posted. A-lot of "FLUFF" is fed to us daily with the BULL***** the upper management team says. I found certain managers and upper managers liars and truthfully dont know a thing of whats going on or how to bring bring out the best in someone. There is no real coaches or mentors here. Everyone is focused on the dollar in their pocket. Not development. Very disappointing to say the least

This is NOT a career opportunity. If you are looking to build your business skills and learn new skills, this place is NOT for you. You can hire a monkey or robot to do this job. Make 100 brainless calls per day and say the same thing over and over again and you'll do alright. This place will lower your IQ by the minute with what you will be doing daily.

I would not recommend this job to anyone. Absolutely terrible place to work

I currently work here, but hopefully not for long.
Atmospher is dark and dreary - everyone is so misserably
When you walk in they smile, but then talk underneath their breath about you. Once you're in, they will each share with you how unhappy they are with management. Expect harassment on every level. Management pretends to care about you as long as you are their puppets. The minute you try to implement an idea that may benefit the customer they pounce on you and remind you that you work for them. If you wanna go home every night feeling like you're a nobody, this place is for you.
Poor Management
Very poor and immature management style. Low base salary and poor commission. Departments don't work together. Management does not really manage nor motivate their team members. Repetitive and boring job. Do not recommend it.
Typical day of work was long with lots of overtime
Good management well organized awsome safety program . Long hours with lots of over time . Good verbal communication and lots of chances for advancement. All equipment is well maintained and in good condition
Summary
I did not enjoy the culture or management style. I often felt uncomfortable at work from other employees speaking poorly of each other and management let this happen
Tip of the iceberg (RBFS)
Overall the company is great. I found myself being employed for RBFS and when it come to overall growth financial and mentally the companies a joke. Management does not really manage nor motivate their team members. If am bring frank my time at RBFS I felt like I was back in high school and found myself asking why am I even on payroll, being left feeling with no real direction. Great job but absolutely horrible place for a career.
Official response from Ritchie Bros.
17 December 2019
Thank you for your input. RBFS offers a unique environment, and our employees sight our unique culture, industry-leading compensation & benefits as an offering only available to them through their career at RBFS. While we may not be the right match for everyone, of the few employees that end up leaving us, many have “boomeranged” back. We pride ourselves in our “work-hard, play-hard” motto, and we are rewarded well for strong performance while having an incredibly unique work/life experience. Since you last worked with us, we have already done a complete audit of our culture to pinpoint our strengths and to take action on the areas that need improvement. We are also in the process of shaping new relationship-focused roles that have been designed to address some of your concerns.

If you are interested, we would be happy to discuss some of these changes with you to see if our new approach might fit with your career needs!
Competitive sales environment
It was very team oriented and a social environment to work in. Competitive sales teams though and was a telemarketing environment to work in. All day was outbound sales calls.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Ritchie Bros.?
Not sold on the job
I did an interview with two managers. Before the interview started they hand me their business cards? Okay.
The job being offered is a 40k based salary with no commission. For myself I had to take a huge pay cut in my base salary and lose out on commission from my current job. I wasn't really sold on the job and did not feel it will be a right fit. Good luck. Nice office though.
Exceptional lower mainland company with extremely political environment
As an accountant at corporate level, Ritchie Bros employed sophisticated IT software, have tight monthly reporting deadlines and amazing workplace with on-site gym, cafeteria and daycare facilities.

But extremely political environment in Finance Department and racist opinion about different nationalities.

Promoting people of only certain nationalities and firing employees on 1 day notice (Reason: Restructuring).

Salary is moderate compared to cost of living in lower mainland but lot of parking available on site (plus point).
Work, life, balance non-existent
Ritchie Bros demands a lot from their employees which has a direct impact on work, life, balance for minimal pay. Unfortunately there has been very little culture which has had a direct impact on employee morale.

The corporate office in Vancouver is beautiful with an onsite cafeteria, gym and daycare. Good benefits package.
Great place to kick start your career but compensation doesn't justify the hard work
Great company which means well, but room for improvement.

Pros:

Great company events, free gym, free trainer seminars, great work hour flexibility.

Cons:

Although it is sold as finance position, it is mostly cold calling and data entry. There is a disconnect between departments which causes confusion and bottleneck leaving the customer with the short end of the stick at times. Lack of support system from management. Daily sales meeting with the same 4 things mentioned every morning. Sales cycle longer than average and the compensation does not make up for the hard work put in.
Didn't really work for Ritchie bros
I work for the painting contractor BC sandblasting and painting.
Even though I kept them at the top of their game, when it came right down to thier terrible employers who bully their employees.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Abusive
Amazing place to work
Other Staff members are awesome to work with, Clean place to work, They take care of your lunches when there is an Auctions. If problems come up they help sort them out.
fast paced and professional work environment
Ritchie Bros. is a fun, fast paced environment that will definitely provide its workers with a great, one of a kind experience among goal oriented, friendly individuals!
Good Company if in the group.
I enjoyed working for Ritchie Bros. The company is good to their employees, but if you are not part of the group then its a lonely and miserable place to be.
Productive and close like family
Working here for about 4 years now I realize how easy it is to come back, for the co-workers. Each and every single person working here is kind and compassionate and quick to help, I would say much like family, a second home to go to. I enjoy working here around the people I am with, I would believe every skill would be upgraded along side teamwork and team building. This job shows strength individually and in numbers to complete each sale solidly for the best experience possible and customer satisfaction.
long hours nice people
Hard work and long hours around the sale cycle on sites. Great people on the sites to work with. Managers work with you on sites. Too much division between corporate and on site workers.
Pros
Flexible work hours between sales
Cons
long hours at sale time
Become part of the family
Loved working for Ritchie bros and quickly realized it was one big family. My position was constantly challenging me and was always changing. It was extremely fast paced and ever changing at peak auction times. As well as providing a much slower, relaxed paced environment at off auction times. My coworkers were fun and upbeat and all amazing people to work with and for. The opportunities and experiences were endless which provided constant growth opportunities within the company. You'd be very lucky to get to work for such an amazing company who takes such pride and investment into every one of their employees. Thanks for the amazing opportunity and endless memories.
Pros
Travel, family oriented
Cons
Sometimes extremely long hours, huge availability commitment
Worst company
The supervisor is not at all encouraging and once the job starts you will feel like you are stuck. I will never recommend this place to anybody go for small companies
Great Company
Working for RB has been very exciting. I am extremely happy to be part of such a well run company that builds into their employees. The company has been expanding and doing a great job in all departments.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ritchie Bros.. Our community is ready to answer.