Ritchie Bros.

Ritchie Bros. Employee Reviews

Featured review
Ritchie Bros. selected this as a representative review
RBA is great company to work for. It treats its employees on priority and provides various opportunities. It's great place to learn if you're willing to invest your time.
Main focus on company profit, doesn’t matter how good it is it is never good enough. You should be working harder and generating more. Secondary focus on customer satisfaction as long as it doesn’t cost money. Finally employees are expected to give 110% for 45-60 hrs per week but don’t expect to get paid accordingly.
Pros
Fun business
Cons
Never enough
This is a sales position with endless leads. The longer you stay, the larger your book of customers will grow, and the more you'll earn. This business is focused on numbers and targets - You must pull your own weight. There are 100% tricks to the system/ process, so you MUST be a self starter and take the initiative to learn the program and where good opportunities lie. Everyone is extremely open with where they are finding success, and you can easily identify those that are doing well (reports sent out daily). Be prepared to constantly refine and fine tune your skills.
Pros
Standing desks. Good computers/ hardware. Gorgeous office.
Cons
Lots of Dialing. But you're signing up for a sales job so you expect this.
Since starting at RBFS I have had nothing but good experiences. Right away I was greeted with a warm welcome from my team. I talk to my team every morning and get offered support and advice when needed.
Pros
Job security, working from home, friendly/healthy work envirnoment
I worked for Ritchie bro’s. For 7 years . The money was good but it’s an old boys club from the top down. Management does not care one bit about there employees. Work / life balance is awful unless your in management.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Terrible work culture
Lots to learn. Things change every day. A bit too much for this old timer. Great place for young self driven people. Know Salesforce, lending, insurance sales and customer service.
Pros
Flexable work hours. Start at 6:30 off at 3:00 or start at 8:30 off at 5:00
Cons
You have to be a banker, insurance sales person, loans officer and salesperson.
Cannot say anything other than strongly suggesting trying to get a job at RBA. It is very fast changing environment during auction times but other than that plenty of time to improve environment, time to study... in one word, see if you can get it somehow..
Coworkers were great, management was toxic. The only way to move up in the company was to be friends with a manager, not based on knowledge or experience or education. Absolutely NO job stability.
Pros
great Health benefits.
The job is monotonous and boring. There is clear favouritism and politics within this organization. A lot of the "growth" opportunities are selected prior to the actual job is posted. There are AMs that find loopholes in the system and manipulate the ethical way of performing the job. Nothing will happen to them if they bring in DGP (revenue) to the company. In fact, they will be praised for bringing in the numbers. The meetings and huddles are repetitive and say the same thing over and over again. This company is only about numbers, not developing the individual. Yes, there is growth opportunity but they know who they are hiring before the job is posted. A-lot of "FLUFF" is fed to us daily with the BULL***** the upper management team says. I found certain managers and upper managers liars and truthfully dont know a thing of whats going on or how to bring bring out the best in someone. There is no real coaches or mentors here. Everyone is focused on the dollar in their pocket. Not development. Very disappointing to say the least This is NOT a career opportunity. If you are looking to build your business skills and learn new skills, this place is NOT for you. You can hire a monkey or robot to do this job. Make 100 brainless calls per day and say the same thing over and over again and you'll do alright. This place will lower your IQ by the minute with what you will be doing daily. I would not recommend this job to anyone. Absolutely terrible place to work I currently work here, but hopefully not for long.
Official response from Ritchie Bros.
29 July 2020
We are truly sorry to hear about your experience. As you are likely already aware, at Ritchie Bros we are deeply committed to a process of continuous improvement in order to create the best employment experience for everyone. As such, we will definitely be bringing your concerns forward in order to determine the validity of the points you are making and make improvements to our process whenever necessary. Our business provides a unique environment and while we may not be the right match for everyone, we are committed to developing and rewarding team members that consistently put in the effort required to thrive and succeed. The experience you are describing is very unusual. Our employees consistently tell us that our meritocratic environment rewards their strong performance while offering industry leading benefits, unlimited compensation potential and great work, life balance. We would encourage you to share your concerns with your manager directly or confidentiality with HR so that we can address your concerns and provide you with some options that will help you to improve your experience with us.
When you walk in they smile, but then talk underneath their breath about you. Once you're in, they will each share with you how unhappy they are with management. Expect harassment on every level. Management pretends to care about you as long as you are their puppets. The minute you try to implement an idea that may benefit the customer they pounce on you and remind you that you work for them. If you wanna go home every night feeling like you're a nobody, this place is for you.
Very poor and immature management style. Low base salary and poor commission. Departments don't work together. Management does not really manage nor motivate their team members. Repetitive and boring job. Do not recommend it.
Good management well organized awsome safety program . Long hours with lots of over time . Good verbal communication and lots of chances for advancement. All equipment is well maintained and in good condition
I did not enjoy the culture or management style. I often felt uncomfortable at work from other employees speaking poorly of each other and management let this happen
Overall the company is great. I found myself being employed for RBFS and when it come to overall growth financial and mentally the companies a joke. Management does not really manage nor motivate their team members. If am bring frank my time at RBFS I felt like I was back in high school and found myself asking why am I even on payroll, being left feeling with no real direction. Great job but absolutely horrible place for a career.
Official response from Ritchie Bros.
17 December 2019
Thank you for your input. RBFS offers a unique environment, and our employees sight our unique culture, industry-leading compensation & benefits as an offering only available to them through their career at RBFS. While we may not be the right match for everyone, of the few employees that end up leaving us, many have “boomeranged” back. We pride ourselves in our “work-hard, play-hard” motto, and we are rewarded well for strong performance while having an incredibly unique work/life experience. Since you last worked with us, we have already done a complete audit of our culture to pinpoint our strengths and to take action on the areas that need improvement. We are also in the process of shaping new relationship-focused roles that have been designed to address some of your concerns. If you are interested, we would be happy to discuss some of these changes with you to see if our new approach might fit with your career needs!
It was very team oriented and a social environment to work in. Competitive sales teams though and was a telemarketing environment to work in. All day was outbound sales calls.
I did an interview with two managers. Before the interview started they hand me their business cards? Okay. The job being offered is a 40k based salary with no commission. For myself I had to take a huge pay cut in my base salary and lose out on commission from my current job. I wasn't really sold on the job and did not feel it will be a right fit. Good luck. Nice office though.
As an accountant at corporate level, Ritchie Bros employed sophisticated IT software, have tight monthly reporting deadlines and amazing workplace with on-site gym, cafeteria and daycare facilities. But extremely political environment in Finance Department and racist opinion about different nationalities. Promoting people of only certain nationalities and firing employees on 1 day notice (Reason: Restructuring). Salary is moderate compared to cost of living in lower mainland but lot of parking available on site (plus point).
Ritchie Bros demands a lot from their employees which has a direct impact on work, life, balance for minimal pay. Unfortunately there has been very little culture which has had a direct impact on employee morale. The corporate office in Vancouver is beautiful with an onsite cafeteria, gym and daycare. Good benefits package.
Great company which means well, but room for improvement. Pros: Great company events, free gym, free trainer seminars, great work hour flexibility. Cons: Although it is sold as finance position, it is mostly cold calling and data entry. There is a disconnect between departments which causes confusion and bottleneck leaving the customer with the short end of the stick at times. Lack of support system from management. Daily sales meeting with the same 4 things mentioned every morning. Sales cycle longer than average and the compensation does not make up for the hard work put in.
I work for the painting contractor BC sandblasting and painting. Even though I kept them at the top of their game, when it came right down to thier terrible employers who bully their employees.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Abusive
Other Staff members are awesome to work with, Clean place to work, They take care of your lunches when there is an Auctions. If problems come up they help sort them out.
  1. Employee reviews