Ritchie Bros. Employee Reviews

Big Company - Doesn't Care About Employees
Customer Service Representative & Manager (Former Employee) –  Estevan, SK29 January 2019
Upon first starting with this company a mere 5 years ago it was a great place to work...sadly it went downhill VERY fast. Between a new CEO and management receiving bonuses they will cut back any place they can including spending freezes on day to day items needed to do your job.

In addition, the last year of full time employment with the company I was away from home working for a total of 7 months! As the area of the company I worked for does farm sales, from before I started I knew there was travel involved in April, June and October however as the company grew and more sales were added it required more and more travel. As a single, childless woman it was pretty much just assumed I would be the one to travel for extended periods since I had no one needing my attention at home. When brought up to management that in a two month span I slept in my own bed 6 nights the response was to ask if that was work related or if I was gone away for fun - absolutely ignorant!

The company is far from the family owned, customer driven, great place to work that it used to be - now it's all about corporate takeovers and money over people - both the customers and employees.
Cons
Money hungry management (all levels) who care nothing about employees
Excellent place to work in
Senior QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 January 2019
I was brought in as contractor to work in RBA. I find that the people are friendly and professional. The environment is also very pleasant. Overall I really enjoy my time there.
Company is growing. Plenty of opportunities
Human Ressources (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 December 2018
I've been working here 3+ years and every day brings new challenges. The company has grown so much and at a fast pace.

If you are looking to develop your career and your skills, this is a great place to be part of.
Pros
gym, day care
Cons
the company is transitioning
great staff
Staffed Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bolton, ON10 October 2018
great place to work if you like being outdoors and it helps with having great staff . if you ever need help there is always someone there to help you out.
Pros
free lunches during sale times
Cons
outdoor elements
Stressful, unrealistic workload and cut throat!
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 October 2018
There are way too many issues to list but here are a few:
- Employees don’t matter, people are a number and are replaceable which would explain the high employee turnover since our leadership came on board about 4 years ago.
- The company is a sales organization run by HR with individuals who don’t come from a sales background. HR is more about aligning with the business rather than being the voice for employees.
- Our leadership no longer instills the values of the founder, Dave Ritchie, the core reasons why the company became a success to begin with. They are listed as our core values but what happens behind closed doors is a very different story. Our CEO is about the bottom line and has no regard with how the company gets there even if it’s at the expense of others.
- There is no longer any culture, you will rarely see people smiling.
- Compensation is not industry comparable, long hours need to be worked to hit targets and the bonus payout is nothing to write home about especially considering the long hours put in to achieve it. Ritchie Bros is a multi-billion dollar company, compensation is more of a start up company wage.
- The company is no longer able to offer a work-life balance environment due to unrealistic expectations and workload.
- Companies are always going through change and change is good but it should never be at the expense of employees which is the new world of Ritchie Bros.
Words of advice - if you’re looking for a place where quality of life matters and your opinion matters, save yourself the heartache and don’t bother. You will slowly lose yourself
  more... working here.
I’m a current employee looking for a much better opportunity elsewhere where I will be valued and quality of life matters.
Good company
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 August 2018
Good company but needs some improvements in the management. Work life balance is really good. some teams operate without sufficient guidance. some sort of management trainings are recommended to the leadership teams.
Horrible
Territory Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 August 2018
Worked for the company in a management position for 6 years. Would not recommend. They dont care about your well being. You are only a number/merit.
Great people to work with - terrible work life balance
Sales (Former Employee) –  Bolton, ON27 March 2018
Not a job - it's a lifestyle. You sacrifice a lot of life to work there. There is no work life balance whatsoever - no matter what they preach to you. Upper management definitely has their favourites. It used to be a great company to work for - now, everyone is a number and it's all about return on investment for shareholders. Very disappointing to see what the company has become.
Ritchie Bros culture
Refurbishing Coordinator/Equipment Inspector/CSM (Current Employee) –  Nisku9 March 2018
This is a very unique culture. Perfect culture for a party person. It can be very fast paced but also has a lot of down time. Great job for someone looking for part time work.
Pros
very relaxed enviornment
Cons
alot of down time
Fast paced comeptetive and sales oriented
Territory Manager of South Texas (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 February 2018
Fast paced micro managed in sales area, stressful at times to meet dead lines with various platforms to present and sale days fast approaching,discouraging to deal with clients after poor results
Pros
Benefits, great people, great pay
Cons
pressure of deadlines and clients not satisfied
Terrible Company to work for!! Stay away
N/A (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 February 2018
Terrible company and management, they only hire managers who know how to bully employees, and they do this to themselves as well!! Nothing but fighting and crying going on at head office (Vancouver) amongst the management teams.
It is really that bad.
Pros
Cons
Long hours no extra compensation
extremely high stress and long hours.
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 February 2018
A typical work day would consist of constant follow up on your business unit and answer a high level of phone calls that relates just about anything. You learn to become assertive and unsympathetic to get the job done. Management , its a matter of luck who you got, but be warned that mood swings will constantly fluctuate and if you dont cope with it, you're pretty much done. workplace culture, you work for the shareholders and results, nothing appreciated for any work that is done. long hours. and managers do expect something that is over the moon.
Pros
benefits, free bread fridays, co-workers
Cons
high stress, micromanagement, no values.
Great place to work!
Clerk/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK31 January 2018
Busy - Always lots to do
Happy coworkers
Room to move up and encouraged to do so
New innovative ideas happily accepted
Many offices through out the world - options to travel and experience new places while working
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Sometimes - long work hours
Great corporate culture with strong sense of commeraderie!
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 January 2018
Ritchie Bros Auctioneers is a great place to work. The staff are friendly and the culture is like nothing else. The company offers options for work advancement, training and development and great benefits.
Best workplace, Best people in Vancouver
Emerging Markets Accountant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 October 2017
I have learnt that how important to support Women leadership in North America.
How important to be a good leader and how to build positive workplace relationship with colleagues and clients.
Pros
Employees, Orange blood, fun live auctions
Cons
Low salary
cest un bon travail pour les jeune et cest bien payer
encanteur (Current Employee) –  Saint-Hilaire, QC17 July 2017
cest un travail physique mais pas trop
un travail exterieur et interieur
un travail qui se fait que lete
un travail dequipe
Pros
il y a plusieur pause et meme des dinner offert gratuitement tout est bien organiser et comprenable
Cons
travail pas assez souvent ce job est selon les article sil en a pas assez on ne travail pas
AR Clerk
AR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 May 2017
Only did 6wk contract but great place to work. Enjoyed my time there great building , Daycare, Café, Gym Nice work environment. Park across street. Had lots of internal postings.,
people first
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 May 2017
Incredible company full of people genuinely working to do the right thing. We work hard and we play hard. I consider my team like my family. It's all about the people and how we support and encourage each other.
Pros
Best part of the job is the incredible team. Great benefits, great people, great perks.
Cons
Hard work
Amazing place to work and great company to work for
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 May 2017
Very supportive colleagues, willing to help and share from their experience and knowledge. Desire to do the best for the company, as a whole, is very motivating. Team, family spirit. Very nice office place with amenities of high quality.
Pros
beautiful work environment with full gym at no cost and a daycare. Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Business casual dress code could use revising
Great experience
Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 April 2017
Great start to a career. Great work environment. Lots of opportunity within but it's definitely hard work but you get recognised.

Solid performance and culture.
Pros
Benefit, opportunity to succeed, great teams
Cons
Long hours. Focus on the people, we are working great together

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ritchie Bros.. Our community is ready to answer.