Richter is one of the largest independent advisory firms in Canada. Our 93-year legacy is shaped by the business owners, entrepreneurs and business families with whom we work. We provide a range of solutions including tax, wealth management, valuations, risk management, digital transformation and cyber security, restructuring and of course, accounting – more...
News & Updates
Founded over 90 years ago, Richter is one of the largest business advisory firms in Canada. Today, more than 500 partners and team members help entrepreneurs and business families manage their needs today and shape their legacies for the future.
While we offer services in the areas of assurance, tax, wealth management, restructuring, valuations, forensic accounting, transaction advisory, risk management and cybersecurity, there are no silos at Richter. Our partners and team members collaborate to provide well-rounded expertise to our clients, so expect to work on a variety of mandates, learning from industry-leading professionals who are just as invested in helping you find success, as they are about helping our clients and our community thrive.
We are all driven by the same passion: to see the clients we serve grow and succeed. If you’re looking for a supportive work environment where innovative thinking is encouraged, and diversity of thought is paramount, we want to hear from you.
What We Do
• Whether for business or personal; with one challenge or our full suite of services, Richter’s approach is always strategic, insightful and all-encompassing.
• We take time to understand individuals and their families, to properly integrate personal and professional objectives.
• We use integrative thinking to assess and execute the long-term vision of owners and their businesses.
• Our holistic approach allows us to monitor, evaluate and adjust the strategy and objectives of the owner, the family, and the business.
• Guided by our values and rooted in trust, we’ve helped clients thrive for over 90 years.
As one of Canada’s largest independent advisory firms, we work with entrepreneurs and business families, helping guide their journeys and craft their legacies. We’re different in that we don’t just focus on corporate entities – we ensure that business needs are aligned with the owner and their family dynamics; both are equally important. We work with people, not the entities they own.
• We are an independent firm dedicated to the success of our clients, our people and our community.
• We are people working with people who aspire to create a better world.
• We foster a strong sense of family; this has been a part of our DNA for more than 90 years.
• We value our team, develop excellence and celebrate successes.
Richter’s holistic and people-focused approach with our clients offers our team members unique on-the-job learning opportunities rarely seen at most professional services firms. Mentorship, career planning, performance bonuses, salary increases, as well as numerous internal and external training opportunities are part of the many benefits offered by Richter. All professional development training programs are carefully thought-out and well executed by experts in the field, on topics directly related to each employee’s position, taking into account both the technical and human skills needed to succeed.
Career Planning and Management Services
Our firm has an effective Performance Management Program, which is used throughout the year by employees and managers to ensure good communication and the sharing of performance feedback between every member of the Richter team.
This program focuses on performance, team member engagement and career progression. It is meant as a career planning guide for every employee according to their own professional objectives and is in keeping with the overall direction being taken by the firm.
Reimbursement of Tuition Fees and Training Costs
Richter may reimburse some or all of the cost of training courses taken by its professionals. Moreover, we recognize employees who obtain a professional designation or successfully complete professional development courses.
Mentoring Program and Talent Management
Richter recognizes that it has a responsibility to share the knowledge of its highly experienced team of professionals with more junior staff. Through its group of partners, Richter is committed to sharing and nurturing the next generation of professionals. This knowledge transfer takes place within a structured framework: our mentoring program pairs different generations of experienced partners and young professionals, based on their areas of expertise and the fields in which they would like to pursue an interest.
Community has always been integral to Richter’s success; and in an effort to show gratitude, our team strives to pay it forward, by giving to those in need in impactful ways.
To date our firm has supported over 100 non-profit and community-focused organizations including healthcare initiatives, children’s education, arts, and environmental causes. Beyond monetary contributions, we believe in taking action to support the community.
Here are a few of the initiatives and ways in which we say thank you and continually give back to the communities that have given us so much:
Community Day – Since 2008, Richter employees have devoted an entire work day each year to giving back through special community programs. To date, Richter has worked with 30 community organizations in the Greater Montreal and Greater Toronto areas for this initiative.
Richter Charitable Foundation – Our foundation and firm donate roughly one million dollars each year to support causes and organizations we believe in.
Annual fundraising campaigns by interns – Every summer our interns in Montreal are tasked with leading a fundraising campaign to benefit an organization of their choice. They organize activities as part of their Richter experience.
Bursaries – For almost a decade, Richter has given bursaries to deserving university undergraduates to help make student life a little easier. Recipients of these bursaries are exceptional leaders at their chosen institutions, they are active in their communities and aspire to achieve success in the world of business.
Centraide (United Way) campaign – In Montreal, our firm has been actively involved in Centraide fundraisers for several years. Each year we give more than $100,000 to the organization and its causes.
Richter’s charitable committee – Richter has a dedicated group of team members in Toronto who give a substantial amount of time to organizing events and activities for the larger Richter team.
A donation of $5 per pay period – A donation can be deducted from employees’ paychecks automatically. At the end of the year the employee donors select the organization that will receive that year’s contributions.
Like any business in operation for almost a century, Richter has greatly evolved over the years. Our history can be measured by several important milestones:
• 1926: Cecil Usher, a young graduate of McGill University, joined his friend, William Richter, to form an accounting practice in downtown Montreal under the name of Richter, Usher & Co.
• 1971: Richter opens its insolvency and corporate restructuring division.
• 1995: Richter Charitable Foundation is created. To date, RCF has given over half a million dollars per year to worthy causes and organizations.
• 1998: Richter Consulting Inc. – the financial restructuring division for US companies – launches in the US, with an office in Chicago, IL.
• 1999: Richter’s wealth management services begin; known today as Richter Family Office.
• 2008: Richter receives its first “Top Employer” award – the first of many to come!
• 2013: Richter officially expands into the Toronto market.
Today, Richter is one of Canada’s largest independent advisory firms. Our 500-person team continues to expand with offices in Montreal, Toronto and Chicago.
Richter Awards & Accolades
Richter is frequently recognized for our commitment to excellence, client service and exemplary corporate culture. Just some of the awards we have been honoured to receive include:
• Canada’s Top Employers for Young People – 90 years old and still young at heart! Richter has been named to this list four times since 2010. We made the list based on our comprehensive summer student program, team-building initiatives and practical, service-based training offerings.
• Montreal’s Top Employers – Since our firm is deeply rooted in the Montreal business community, we are honoured to be recognized as one of our great city’s leading employers. Richter has been named to this list ten times since 2008!
• Canada’s Top Small and Medium Employers – Richter has been selected three times as one of Canada’s best small- and medium-sized companies since 2014. It’s meaningful as this category represents us, but also the market we serve.
• Canada’s 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures Award – This award recognizes Canadian organizations for having a culture that has helped them enhance performance and sustain a competitive advantage. Richter was named one of the 10 companies in the Quebec and Atlantic Canada region.