Rexall Employee Reviews

Responsibilities are moderately high for little reward
Post Office Clerk and Front Store Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON7 January 2019
As the post office clerk in a Rexall you are often very busy and over worked for minimum wage. You answer to both the store manager and Canada Post Retail Manager. The job has rewarding elements such as; providing customers with the best services for their needs, providing safe and secure means to send mail and transfer money, and building relationships with the regular local small business owners, but store management is not trained in the post office and cannot come to employees aid in any significant manner. Luckily, strong camaraderie developed between coworkers and was able to get all tasks complete in a fun manner. The responsibilities are moderately high for little benefits.
Pros
some dental, unionised-some job security, develop strong social skills, and
Cons
little to no help from management, little to no job advancements, continually cutting hours
Don't do it.
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Ontario28 November 2018
Toxic work environment. So many cuts over the last few years all of the cashiers and assistants are at the end of their ropes, creating a miserable environment. Every single employee is stretched thinner than you'd think possible.

As a pharmacist, you are treated as just an employee, no respect for the pharmacist as a health care professional.

I knew all the pharmacists in my region and half a dozen in other regions, and they almost all had similar opinions and experiences to me. I'm very skeptical of the overly-positive reviews.

Hopefully new higher ups have their heads on straight and completely overhaul the culture (mid-level management, DMs, etc., HUGE part of the problem)
Pros
Wage, pension
Cons
culture, stress, staffing, benefits, quotas
Excellent employee discount
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ON29 October 2018
workplace culture has ways to go. With new CEO we have seen alot of change both in company culture and the new look of the company. I believe that Rexall could increase its rating on work/life balance with time but after foundational reset it is getting better. I would like to see more advancement from within the company rather than go outside and hiring people who are not aware of the culture of the company.
Pharmacy first
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON5 September 2018
Pharmacies I have worked for are busy, a typical shift will pass by fast. A lot of learning opportunities in the locations I have worked in because of proximities to teaching hospital. Company has a great drug information software as well as support.
Hardest part is trying to meet metrics for company goals as a typical pharmacy day is never the same as before. On good days you meet metrics, hectic days that goes down on priority list as patient care (filling and counselling RX, solving patient issues).
I liked meeting people from all demographics, learning from different cultures.
Pros
Great benefits, good salary
Cons
Metric driven disguise as patient care
Heading into oblivion
Director (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 September 2018
Once a tough but rewarding place to work, Rexall, under new ownership which was filled with promise, is now seemingly heading the way of many bricks and mortar retailers.
Poor and misguided leadership, focused on all the wrong things while the business is struggling to be viable.
The workplace culture is confusing and while highly visible and constantly seen on signs and posters, simply adds nothing to driving success at the company.
The hardest part of being at Rexall, is seeing a once fun place to be, turn sour, with all the strong leaders quitting, or fired.
Great place to work, good job satisfaction, best pharmacy software (Nexxsys)
Staff Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 August 2018
Great place to work, good job satisfaction, good benefits, best pharmacy software (Nexxsys), open environment (open corporate culture), great HR team.
Pros
Good/ competitive salary, good perks, opportunity to grow, open environment
Cons
Incompetent management, poor training of team
very fast paced, friendly environment,
Postal clerk, stock (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 December 2018
at times a very fast ,intense atmosphere, a vast variety of customers for young to old , different nationalities,careers, grumpy to delightful.
i really enjoy this type of environment and pressure, I thrive and looked forward to the times when it was really busy.
the down side , had boring times when it was slow, you can wash and clean so many times.
Cons
long hours, no breaks, wage vs work load unfair
This is a HORRIBLE Company to Work For. Avoid like the Plague!
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON20 December 2018
I worked for Rexall for a few months. These were my experiences:

1. Up to 14 hour days, usually with no breaks of any kind. I was drinking bottles of Meal Replacement at the counter to get basic nutrition and went home every day exhausted. Some of the support staff were very effective. Other times, I was provided with support staff who didn't know that they were doing. This did not help the situation.

2. VERY POOR MANAGEMENT!!!!!! I received little feedback, either positive or negative, from both my pharmacy manger and the district manger. Futhermore, My DM kept hounding me to work in other stores 45 mintues to 1 hours from where I lived, even on my days off, even though I was a full time employee and was already working at least 45 hours/week. That is what part timers, semi-retirees, and district support pharmacists are for. Management is also overly pushy regarding "Patient Focused Services" and has quotas that are unreasonable and unrealistic.

I really hope that this company crashes and burns. Not only will I never work for this company again, but also I will never advise anyone to use its pharmacies or purchase products from its stores. ALL THIS COMPANY CARES ABOUT IS MAKING MONEY. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT PATIENTS, AND THEY ESPECIALLY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR EMPLOYEES. Go to any Pharmacy but a Rexall Pharmacy! Are you #allin? What a joke!
Pros
Decent Salary, Enjoyed most coworkers
Cons
Long hours, Poor Management, Pushy Management, Lack of Support Staff, Poor Morale
Decent Job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 November 2018
It wasn't a bad work environment until random layoffs. Job security was high on their priority list but not for very long. Union protects workers but not management, and without notice or reason was terminated.
Tough work life balance environment
General Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ON7 September 2018
Tough work life balance environment. Expectation of working far exceeding 40 hours per week in order to be successful.
Poor training plan for new staff and management.
Poor technology.
Pros
Discount card, 10% + cost on items. Good core loyal staff.
Cons
No work life balance
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2018
Never a day goes by with nothing to do, from receiving and shipping, to cash handling and loss prevention, to merchandising and HR! Strong workplace culture
Pros
customer engagement
Former rx manager
PHARMACY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 November 2018
Absolutely the most incompetent upper management especially the district managers. They cut labour hours yet expect you to year on year produce numbers for them. They cut the bonus structure in 2018, yet my store increased in sales and med reviews. Absolutely not worth the misery you feel with this company, disorganized, no direction with changes that make no sense. Doubt if they survive in the years to come.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Disorganized district managers, clueless, no business sense.
Will always keep you busy
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 August 2018
I would always have tasks to do in order to keep store up to standards. The store culture was fun and casual in relation to both coworkers and customers. Management was always understanding and accommodated for student work hours.
Ok place not like the old days
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON27 October 2018
Prior to Rexall being bought out by American company McKesson, Rexall was a fair place to work. Now with it being AMERICAN owned employees have a extremely high turnover.
Management doesn’t last long very high turnover- be lucky to have the same manager for a year. A very biased company that doesn’t value its employees. Wages are minimum wage with little growth increments.
Pros
Discount
union
Store Manager/ Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON16 October 2018
the company doesn't help you at store level, many times help for things was asked for and was never given. when people steal from the store they let it go when its customers. This place is a union and you have to deal with staff that do not work and there is not much you can do as head office dose not help you in removing them.
Cons
No commitment from rexall to be better and we dont feel good about it
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 February 2018
You're expected to do a lot from day to day including cashiering stocking facing dealing with customer service complaints with very few employees to do it all. If you're also a Post office Clerk ,keyholder, pharmacy tech or Manager expected to do all that and more. This company is always reducing labor hours per store then increasing them so when you're hired you'll either get too many hours that you're not available for or you'll have no hours at all and have to find another job. Minimum wage has been increasing faster than what Rexall pays their employees. There's no such thing as overtime, bonuses or raises in this company. There is a union which mostly protects the full-time employees that have been there for over 20 years. These employees know not to become a Postal Clerk or a key holder because it's 10 times more work with evening shifts for the same pay leaving newer employees to take these responsibilities. All these things along with insane favoritism from management makes rexall a pretty terrible place to work.
Pros
Co-workers and discount
Cons
Rude cutomers, lots of shoplifters, unreliable work hours some managers are horrible
Thoroughly enjoy interacting with the local customers.
Cashier Front Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON10 April 2018
Hi There!

Management at the beginning of my employ, left much to be desired: however, it's gotten MUCH better this past year, with the current store manager being one of the best that I've had the pleasure to work with!

Great co-workers at this location too. :)

I enjoy my job and look forward to going to work everyday.

The only thing that could make this job better, would be full time hours and benefits!
Pros
Great co-workers and customers
Cons
Not enough hours per week
Job was okay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 November 2018
I would go to work every time there was an Oiler game. I would enjoy working there because the job was engaging people when they ordered their food. Usually the work involved getting the orders from the kitchen and giving it to the customer, sometimes the order was grabbed by another cashier and there wasn't much to be done about it as another customer had already received the order. There were lockers where we had to put our outside clothing into and change into the outfit that was approved by the Corporation who had the Rexall Place contract. Because I went to school at the time I had to get to Rexall right after and that was a little hard since I had to leave school a bit earlier. The staff there treated me okay once they got to know me better, since I was working with money, they were unsure if I would break even on the float. I learned how to handle money, engage customers when they ordered, worked in a fast-paced environment, and worked with different staff.
Pros
Working with others
Cons
Time to get there after school
Rexall
Key Holder/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON1 October 2018
Rexall isn't a terrible place to work, it just needs some improvements...

The company revolves around customer service. They care so much about good customer service, that they don't have enough employees on the floor to GIVE good customer service. Every-time I go in there, there is always a survey, donation, or a giveaway of some sort-to help promote the company and gain more positive customer service. Here's the reality... Not everyone is going to do the survey. A lot of people now-a-days either don't have the time, or simply just forget. The amount of elderly customers that shop there, they don't have a cell phone or computer at home to do any of these things. People come to shop, buy their items, and leave. Please stop bombarding customers with surveys and what not.
Hard work, but friendly people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrhead, AB18 September 2018
I enjoyed interacting with the customers, and although a few tough ones came in, most of them were very friendly and accommodating. As a young employee, I was expected to carry on too many jobs while being main cashier. Because of this, it was very hard to complete the tasks of the day because I never had enough time to get away from customers. Additionally to being main (and usually only) cashier, I was responsible or shelf stocking, facing of products, helping customers, assisting customers with the kodiak photo machines, and assisting with locked merchandise cupboards. I did not always have enough time to take breaks, which was not the issue of the managers, but of the business. My experience overall was positive as my coworkers were very nice and the customers would make my day with all of their lovely comments.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
Busy work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rexall. Our community is ready to answer.