Rev.com

Rev.com Pay & benefits reviews

Canada93 reviews
Rev will be what you put into it. I signed up to get additional practice at transcription for college figuring that a bit of extra money wouldn't hurt. Your initial hours pay really poorly, but if you bother to do enough to get into the highest tier it isn't bad as a side hustle.
Overall the job is highly competitive and very self-led/independent. While it’s fun and interesting there’a often not a lot of jobs available or the pay is too low for the time spent working on it. It’s mainly a side hustle/extra pocket cash deal, not really a base your income on it deal
Pros
Fairly interesting, easy to pick up and learn, self-led, laid back.
Cons
Not that much money, jobs aren’t always available, and difficult to maintain.
Low pay and rating system is poor. Good for a couple extra bucks, but not worth it in the long run, even if you enjoy doing this sort of thing. The audio being uploaded to the site is always very poor, and takes a very long time to decipher what is being said, so the pay becomes even worse over time.
free-lance transcriptions are fun as long as you're able to push yourself to do it and you are not bored too easily doing the same thing all day, listening to generally boring things
Now, this should not be a full time job. I've been working for REV for 4 years while I was in college full time. If I put in 6-8 hours of work a week I was able to bring in $150-$250 a week (this was after conversion as I'm in Canada). This helped cover minor expenses or spending money I needed when student loans didn't get me there.

Grading can be tough but it is to weed out the bad transcriptionists. Don't forget, these audio files are for actual clients needing scripts for the audio or video files. The application can be hard to pass, I think I tried 2 or 3 times. But once in I flew through the grading system. They do hold you to a high standard and if you fall below the minimum level your account gets banned.
Pros
Flexible, Decent Income, Interesting Audio/Video Files
Cons
Grading, Pay, No benefits
It started off okay. You're given the impression that if you commit to working hard and with a high level of quality that you'll proceed to earn more money. However, about 6 months in I was given what entailed more responsibility with no jump in pay. Their standards kept changing and the pay kept going down. You are paid by the minute of whichever project you are working on. The audio is rarely ever clear and that's where the pay is not worth your time.

If you have a project that's an hour in length, pays .50 cents a minute, that's $30.
However, it's not paid by your minutes (more like hours) of time that you put into it. That one project will often take anywhere from 4 to 8 hours (often times more). So, do the math. If it took you 8 hours, you're earning 3.75/hourly. If you were lucky and it only took you 4 hours, 7.50/hourly. Also, you are not allowed to work on more than one project at a time.

The only thing I can say on a positive note is that you work from home and set your own schedule. The other positive is that I now have a year of experience in captioning and transcribing.

In closing, I honestly don't understand how they get away with paying people so poorly. They have big name contracts. So, I'm sure the people running things are making a pretty penny off of their employees backs.
They expect exceptional work with no regard for employees cost of living, the amount of time or effort put in and the company never takes responsibility when it is at fault.
Pros
Work From Home, Choose Hours
Cons
Terrible Pay To Work Ratio, Can't communicate with anybody above you, You will get blamed for issues with their website, regularly.
Pay is fairly low as is the norm with most online transcription jobs. If you have a good grasp of english and grammar and have a good set of headphones, you will make a decent supplemental income however. There seems to be a lot of work lately.
You get paid the more hours you put in, but as you start out you would work 3 hurs for $5.00. And it takes a long time to move up in the hierarchy. A work schedule could not get more relaxed (it is freelance), but this also has potential to bring about issues.
Pros
Extremely flexible schedule
Cons
Long hours for little pay
I applied to this place thinking that it would be a great way to subsidize my day-job salary. I just graduated from school after 6 years, so I obviously have some major payments to make. I was super excited.

So I started my freelance work with Rev, super excited that they pay using PayPal rather than requesting my account information. Things were great for like the first week. I completed 9 videos and earned $100 (so obviously the pay per hour sucks but I need the money...).

And then it all went downhill from there.

After one week of being apart of the Rev team, I received an email stating that my account was indefinitely closed. The decision was final. There is no appeal process.

They said it was because my percentage of commitment was too low. It was 90% because I had to un-claim a video that had terrible audio quality. The metric is supposed to be weighed over 120 days. They gave me 7.

I also noted that after you receive your, "Yay, you've captioned over 100 minutes!" email, they start to grade SUPER hard. They pick on you for things that were never in their instructional guide, and they offer no explanation either.

Just the worst. Not only is this company completely unfair in terms of how much they pay people, they clearly have no standards when it comes to releasing people who do good quality work.

Anyways, I tried to sign up again using a different email address and was denied without any explanation. This company sucks.
Finished transcriptions with overall ratings of 4.5-5.
However, yesterday they randomly locked me out saying I did not meet the grade requirements. Their grading system is confusing and unfair.

I just finished a 27 min transcription, finished attention to detail, and then the next day I get a notification saying I got a score of 1 and am getting kicked out. What a waste of time. I spent about 2.
5 hours to finish it for only to be paid $12. Flexibility and working from home is quite convenient, however, it isn't worth your time. You are working below minimum wage.
Rev is a scam that functions on a high turnover rate of desperate people. You start on the lower rung of the ladder as a “Rookie” and are payed poverty level wages doing nearly impossible work with the poor audio clips provided. However, you keep working and accepting your $5 an hour salary as you attempt to work towards the promise of a raise (given when you reach the next level of transcriber). They give fair marking in this initial stage to excite and encourage you to keep working meticulously to finally reach that next level and the raise that comes with it. However, right when you’re on the brink of promotion, they suddenly become impossibly strict with their grading. They’ll blow your score down for small subjective formatting preferences that aren’t even stated in their guidelines. Things they would never have marked down when you were just a rookie. Essentially they find the most ridiculous things to dock marks for because the work you provide is perfect. You lose your position in rank and either go back down to poverty level wages or even lose your place at Rev entirely.

So essentially this site is a scam. It takes in hoards of desperate people willing to work at poverty wages while dangling the promise of a wage increase in the distance to keep them working. Then, when they’re just about to grab that promotion, they kick them out and do the same to the next hoard of new employees.
The pay is laughable and most of the audio recordings are nearly unlistenable. The amount of work that you have to put in for such little pay is completely unreasonable, and if you are looking for a way to make money at home just about anything else would be better.
I thought Rev was a godsend as a stay-at-home job. However, to make any sort of decent amount of money, you have to wait around all day constantly checking for good files to work on, then work very hard to make sure you adhere to the Style Guide imposed... which I was okay with for a while, because I needed the convenience of staying at home. However, I've finally given up because pay keeps decreasing instead of increasing. Yes, you heard me right. Instead of the minimum rates going up, they keep going down instead as the company seeks to make more revenue. At this compan, the reward for consistent good performance is less money. That being said, I'm through with Rev now. If you don't mind doing a lot of time-consuming work and getting paid next to nothing, with no chance for making more money further along the line, Rev just might be for you.
Yes, you can earn a minimal income from this job, and you get to choose your time and work from the comfort of your home but you put in A LOT more time to transcribe a single audio file and the money earn doesn't even seem worth it at the end. The pay per minute is very poor! Let's also take into account the amount of time you spend to get a decent audio file because half of them are bad quality!

I did this job for barely 3 months and as I started, my metrics were going up and up and it seemed like it was going well for me and then suddenly one day, they dropped my metrics and put my account on a warning period which lasts for 120 days or so they say! But here's the thing, even if you are able to manage to get your metrics up to 4.5 which is the standard, they will deactivate your account whenever they want and make it their final decision. In my case it was done within 30 days!

I would say that this job is definitely not worth your precious time.
I've spent hours upon hours working and got basically no money. I thought I could move up the ranks to get a better salary but the grading is extremely unreasonable and unfair. I think they purposely grade you poorly so that they can keep using you to caption while paying you close to nothing.
As a "freelancer," you are sub-contracted by Rev, which means that you are not an employee. You are not protected by local state or provincial labour laws, such as the right to be paid a fair wage (minimum wage), and you can be terminated at any time for any reason without any explanation or compensation.

Rev pays their "freelancers" between 36 and 65 cents per "audio minute." That is not a minute of your time, it is the length of time that it takes you to accurately transcribe 1 minute of audio. These are two very different things.

Full-time, professional transcribers who work with transcription software and foot pedals can transcribe 1 minute of audio in approximately 3 to 5 minutes.

Even if you were being paid the maximum rate advertised (65 cents per audio minute), and you are able to consistently transcribe 1 minute of audio in 5 minutes with 100% accuracy, which would be extremely impressive, this would give you a 5:1 ratio.

Let's do the math:

1 hour = 60 minutes

Solve for x:

5:1 = 60:x

x = 60/5

x = 12

5:1 = 60:12

12 X $0.65 = $7.80

Therefore, in 1 hour, with your very impressive transcription skills, professional software and equipment, you would be able to transcribe 12 minutes of audio and would be paid $7.80.

The minimum wage in the state of California, which also happens to be where this start-up company is based, is $12/hr.

Now where this gets really interesting is when you calculate the number of hours that it would take to earn the $1495 per month that "top earners" allegedly make.

$1495 / $7.80 = 191.67 hours (per month)

191.67
 - more...
Pros
None.
Cons
The only con is the person who is trying to convince you that this is a legitimate job opportunity.
The freelance nature of the jobs does admittedly allow for lots of flexibility, and an opportunity for this to be a second income on top of another job. However, the wages are almost criminally low and the work is harder than it seems. There were very few videos to choose from, and the good ones were taken quite fast. Almost all of the ones that were left either had unreadable audio quality, weren't in english, or were so short that the money really wasn't worth the time. For me, each captioned minute of video took about 3 to 6 minutes of real time to complete, and I'm not any slower that average. On top of that, in my experience, each minute of video captioned paid about 30 cents Canadian. That means that working at my top speed, I could make at most 5 to 6 bucks an hour. That's criminal. Also, you are graded for each video by I assume a real person, but the people grading are such grammar perfectionists that it only took me a day to recieve my first "major violation" for a grammar error which, in the big picture, didn't affect the readability at all. Although it may seem enticing, steer clear. Until wages increase above illegally low levels, it's not worth your time or effort.
You will make next to no money and put in a lot of hours in to get it. It is unlikely that you will ever "promote" to a higher pay grade. They basically get people to sign up, give them a few jobs at the lowest possible pay, and then toss them.
Pros
It's nice to work from home!
Cons
It's not nice to put time into something for nothing.
Rev is a very good job to have as a free lance job. However, for a regular income it is not dependable. I use Rev to give myself pocket money, but the effort going into online transcribing is a lot and unfortunately the money received from hours of hunching over a keyboard and back pain is simply not enough. You get to choose your own hours and the practice of online transcribing increases listening skills. As a main source of income, Rev isn't the best, however, if you're looking for a side gig for pocket money I would say Rev is perfect for that.
Pros
Make your own hours, increases listening skills
Cons
Pay does not equal effort.
I LOVED working at Rev, and would routinely put in 10-12 hours a day processing different jobs, but the pay is absolutely terrible. For a 12-hour day of typing at 110 WPM, I'd get sometimes $40-$50 CAD on good days, and sometimes as low as $20-$30 CAD. I was promoted pretty quickly, and the jobs were always interesting, if you're good at picking the decent quality ones. But it hasn't been worth the effort.
Pros
Work from home, easy to learn
Cons
Long, LONG hours for little money.