Rev.com

Rev.com Employee Reviews

Canada89 reviews
It just isn't worth it
Low pay and rating system is poor. Good for a couple extra bucks, but not worth it in the long run, even if you enjoy doing this sort of thing. The audio being uploaded to the site is always very poor, and takes a very long time to decipher what is being said, so the pay becomes even worse over time.
Saving grace
If you can type fast, have a broad vocabulary and a keen attention to detail, the work provided by Rev to its freelancers can be a breeze to complete. There is an abundance of support from the Rev Community via an active forum if you ever get stuck on something, and as long as you are consistent, the work will always be available for you to do if you choose. You get what you give, and that can be a little or a lot. Depends on you.
is cool
free-lance transcriptions are fun as long as you're able to push yourself to do it and you are not bored too easily doing the same thing all day, listening to generally boring things
Paid too little and graded inconsistently
They have a grading scheme for the submitted transcriptions that is incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes I would have a grader that would mark me down every time they didnt understand why I put a comma, and sometimes I would get someone who had 0 comments on the same quality of work. For all the trouble some of the graders wanted us to go through for difficult audio files, we were paid absolutely nothing. Some audio files that take 15-20 mins to transcribe were paid $1.30. Insanely low pay.
Worth It for the Right Person
Now, this should not be a full time job. I've been working for REV for 4 years while I was in college full time. If I put in 6-8 hours of work a week I was able to bring in $150-$250 a week (this was after conversion as I'm in Canada). This helped cover minor expenses or spending money I needed when student loans didn't get me there.

Grading can be tough but it is to weed out the bad transcriptionists. Don't forget, these audio files are for actual clients needing scripts for the audio or video files. The application can be hard to pass, I think I tried 2 or 3 times. But once in I flew through the grading system. They do hold you to a high standard and if you fall below the minimum level your account gets banned.
Pros
Flexible, Decent Income, Interesting Audio/Video Files
Cons
Grading, Pay, No benefits
High expectations and long hours for well below min. wage.
It started off okay. You're given the impression that if you commit to working hard and with a high level of quality that you'll proceed to earn more money. However, about 6 months in I was given what entailed more responsibility with no jump in pay. Their standards kept changing and the pay kept going down. You are paid by the minute of whichever project you are working on. The audio is rarely ever clear and that's where the pay is not worth your time.

If you have a project that's an hour in length, pays .50 cents a minute, that's $30. However, it's not paid by your minutes (more like hours) of time that you put into it. That one project will often take anywhere from 4 to 8 hours (often times more). So, do the math. If it took you 8 hours, you're earning 3.75/hourly. If you were lucky and it only took you 4 hours, 7.50/hourly. Also, you are not allowed to work on more than one project at a time.

The only thing I can say on a positive note is that you work from home and set your own schedule. The other positive is that I now have a year of experience in captioning and transcribing.

In closing, I honestly don't understand how they get away with paying people so poorly. They have big name contracts. So, I'm sure the people running things are making a pretty penny off of their employees backs.
Waste of time if you don't have hours to give them daily
Found the work to be of a difficulty level that led to bad marks despite anyone's best attempt. Often had to drop work I'd picked up since it would alter my metrics (their scoring/grading system).
relaxed and organized
great place to work with awesome people that truly care about your well being and ensure a comfortable work place, always willing to go the extra effort to ensure all is going ok
Lack Of Support And Respect For Workers
They expect exceptional work with no regard for employees cost of living, the amount of time or effort put in and the company never takes responsibility when it is at fault.
Pros
Work From Home, Choose Hours
Cons
Terrible Pay To Work Ratio, Can't communicate with anybody above you, You will get blamed for issues with their website, regularly.
Good part time job
Pay is fairly low as is the norm with most online transcription jobs. If you have a good grasp of english and grammar and have a good set of headphones, you will make a decent supplemental income however. There seems to be a lot of work lately.
Run away
$0.30-0.50 to start per audio minute. $O.40-$1.00 (barely audible audio) if you get a metric of 4.5 or higher. When you first start, your metric average is decided by the number of jobs you do so if you score anything less than 5/5, their automatic marking system will close your account. Most of the audio you can not understand or hear due to background noise, multiple speakers, or thick accents.
Pros
You set your own hours, choose which horrible audio you want to stressfully transcribe
Cons
Everything else - Pay, audio quality, Non-existent QC process.
Relaxed work, but lots of it
You get paid the more hours you put in, but as you start out you would work 3 hurs for $5.00. And it takes a long time to move up in the hierarchy. A work schedule could not get more relaxed (it is freelance), but this also has potential to bring about issues.
Pros
Extremely flexible schedule
Cons
Long hours for little pay
Interesting Freelance Work
Transcribing and captioning audio and video files can be very interesting but also very stressful. Pay is based on length of source material and not on length of time to transcribe / caption. Tough standards to maintain in order to retain status. Very difficult to move to higher level. 90% of customer files are poorly recorded and difficult to transcribe.
Management does seem to be addressing these issues slowly, but is aware of employee dissatisfaction.
The worst
I applied to this place thinking that it would be a great way to subsidize my day-job salary. I just graduated from school after 6 years, so I obviously have some major payments to make. I was super excited.

So I started my freelance work with Rev, super excited that they pay using PayPal rather than requesting my account information. Things were great for like the first week. I completed 9 videos and earned $100 (so obviously the pay per hour sucks but I need the money...).

And then it all went downhill from there.

After one week of being apart of the Rev team, I received an email stating that my account was indefinitely closed. The decision was final. There is no appeal process.

They said it was because my percentage of commitment was too low. It was 90% because I had to un-claim a video that had terrible audio quality. The metric is supposed to be weighed over 120 days. They gave me 7.

I also noted that after you receive your, "Yay, you've captioned over 100 minutes!" email, they start to grade SUPER hard. They pick on you for things that were never in their instructional guide, and they offer no explanation either.

Just the worst. Not only is this company completely unfair in terms of how much they pay people, they clearly have no standards when it comes to releasing people who do good quality work.

Anyways, I tried to sign up again using a different email address and was denied without any explanation. This company sucks.
If you like working below minimum wage...
Finished transcriptions with overall ratings of 4.5-5.
However, yesterday they randomly locked me out saying I did not meet the grade requirements. Their grading system is confusing and unfair.

I just finished a 27 min transcription, finished attention to detail, and then the next day I get a notification saying I got a score of 1 and am getting kicked out. What a waste of time. I spent about 2.5 hours to finish it for only to be paid $12. Flexibility and working from home is quite convenient, however, it isn't worth your time. You are working below minimum wage.
Scam
Rev is a scam that functions on a high turnover rate of desperate people. You start on the lower rung of the ladder as a “Rookie” and are payed poverty level wages doing nearly impossible work with the poor audio clips provided. However, you keep working and accepting your $5 an hour salary as you attempt to work towards the promise of a raise (given when you reach the next level of transcriber). They give fair marking in this initial stage to excite and encourage you to keep working meticulously to finally reach that next level and the raise that comes with it. However, right when you’re on the brink of promotion, they suddenly become impossibly strict with their grading. They’ll blow your score down for small subjective formatting preferences that aren’t even stated in their guidelines. Things they would never have marked down when you were just a rookie. Essentially they find the most ridiculous things to dock marks for because the work you provide is perfect. You lose your position in rank and either go back down to poverty level wages or even lose your place at Rev entirely.

So essentially this site is a scam. It takes in hoards of desperate people willing to work at poverty wages while dangling the promise of a wage increase in the distance to keep them working. Then, when they’re just about to grab that promotion, they kick them out and do the same to the next hoard of new employees.
Don't waste your time
You have to go through a MILLION files to find one that is clear enough for you to transcribe. If you never get promoted, you only get the files that everyone else has passed on and are horrible in quality making it almost impossible to move up and get paid decently.

I've been marked down SIGNIFICANTLY for things that I should not have been marked down for. One example: I was transcribing a conversation about a research paper. I found the research paper online in order to ensure I was using the correct terms/vocab. The graders weren't familiar with the terms and marked me down because they thought it was wrong. I then provided proof (I.E. the actual paper they were discussing) and they didn't change my grade or apologize for ruining my overall score after spending significant time researching. The graders are condescending and horrible.
Don't Waste Your Time
The pay is laughable and most of the audio recordings are nearly unlistenable. The amount of work that you have to put in for such little pay is completely unreasonable, and if you are looking for a way to make money at home just about anything else would be better.
Hard work with decreasing pay
I thought Rev was a godsend as a stay-at-home job. However, to make any sort of decent amount of money, you have to wait around all day constantly checking for good files to work on, then work very hard to make sure you adhere to the Style Guide imposed... which I was okay with for a while, because I needed the convenience of staying at home. However, I've finally given up because pay keeps decreasing instead of increasing. Yes, you heard me right. Instead of the minimum rates going up, they keep going down instead as the company seeks to make more revenue. At this compan, the reward for consistent good performance is less money. That being said, I'm through with Rev now. If you don't mind doing a lot of time-consuming work and getting paid next to nothing, with no chance for making more money further along the line, Rev just might be for you.
Trash!
Waste of time absolute garbage chute. They are wayyy to strict about there garbage audio recordings which i can suspect are ancient and totally outdated. Do not even bother with this company they all suck and should all be fired.
Great flex job to earn money on the side but not worth your time at all!
Yes, you can earn a minimal income from this job, and you get to choose your time and work from the comfort of your home but you put in A LOT more time to transcribe a single audio file and the money earn doesn't even seem worth it at the end. The pay per minute is very poor! Let's also take into account the amount of time you spend to get a decent audio file because half of them are bad quality!

I did this job for barely 3 months and as I started, my metrics were going up and up and it seemed like it was going well for me and then suddenly one day, they dropped my metrics and put my account on a warning period which lasts for 120 days or so they say! But here's the thing, even if you are able to manage to get your metrics up to 4.5 which is the standard, they will deactivate your account whenever they want and make it their final decision. In my case it was done within 30 days!

I would say that this job is definitely not worth your precious time.