Rev.com Employee Reviews

Poor Application Process
Applicant (Former Employee) –  Home30 October 2018
Application process asks you to answer basic English grammar, spelling, and punctuation questions. After completing the quiz, they throw you into an “example” work project using their transcription software. No training or guidance aside from how to use the software and “when in doubt, omit the words”.

I completed the text, relistened to the clip while reading over what I entered, and sent with confidence it was done correctly. Immediate next day response rejecting my application, with nothing more than “only 12% get through”.

Are these example audio files the same for everyone, or different audio clips that Rev has received from clientele. Proper training with a senior transcriptionist would certainly help teach that “Rev Style Guide” 88% of applicants seem to misunderstand.

Don’t be fooled by the $0.40-$0.75/minute ($24-$45/hour) payroll. Even if you listen through once without skipping back, you would most likely double check the file again making it more like $0.20-$0.37/minute ($12-$22.20/hour). As you are most likely not paid by how long you spend on the file, but by the length of the file itself.
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
Uncaring upper management, poor employee relations
Good Hours, Poor Pay and Communication
Captioner (Former Employee) –  Home Based3 October 2018
I started as a captioner and it was very enjoyable. However, you are paid very little AND for the first (I think it's 150 minutes) you are given feedback. This feedback differs. I would be told I was doing something incorrectly and I would correct it, but some other QC would tell me I was doing it wrong still.
Sometimes they wouldn't tell me what I did wrong and how I could correct it, they just told me I was wrong. Which, for the first 150 minutes, they're supposed to provide detailed feedback.
Because my formatting was off I was "let go". Good luck trying to find stuff out in the style guide and feedback, because despite this being a beginner level job, they expect you to be perfect.
Great place to work at your own pace
Audio/Video Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON13 September 2018
I enjoy the freedom to work at my own pace/hours. I enjoy that I am able to work from home. It has allowed me to improve my typing skills and my listening skills. Sometimes audio quality is difficult and there can often be some language barriers that can prevent you from doing the best job possible. However, they are flexible in allowing you to forfeit the work and move onto something else penalty free.
Good option as a student to work from home on your own schedule
Transcriber (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2018
I love Rev because it is an easy way to work from home, and I get to pick my own hours and do it as much as I want. I end up making a couple hundred dollars a week, which is good for extra costs. This is not something that you could do full-time as a career, as my wrists do get quite sore after a few trasncriptions. Also can be very tedious work.
Pros
Easy, work from home, pick your hours
Cons
Tedious, wrist pain
Good place to start as a transcriber
Transcriber (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2018
Too competitive and often get penalized by the judgement of others. Reaching the status of Revver is tough even if you are good! Good luck moving forward.
Uncaring staff, inattentive graders, poor pay
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 March 2018
You are not valued at Rev.com. Your requests for review will never be responded to, to make a living you need to work at least 60 hours a week (and it is a meager living), there is no culture of understanding, and if a video file provided by the customer is corrupt, you will be the one penalized for it. But it is fun!
Pros
I saw White Famous before it premiered on Showtime
Cons
Literally everything else
Highly flexible and sometimes fun, but too much work for too little pay
Independent Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON17 January 2018
Rev is good for gaining experience and pocket money. However, don't expect to get paid fairly for your time. It might be worthwhile to do in your spare time, but not as a source of sustainable income.

The pros are that you can work on your own terms as frequently or sparsely as you want. You can also choose which projects to transcribe or caption, and sometimes it's a lot of fun. Audio quality is sometimes impossible.
Pros
Flexible, work from home
Cons
Too much time working for too little pay
Perfect for On the Side
Transcriber (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2017
Before you sign up for Rev, understand that you need to put time and effort into this before it is profitable. Once you do though, it's a perfect way to supplement your income, or make a tidy sum if working from home full-time.
I love working as a freelance transcriber. I have hundreds of files to choose form, I can pick ones that are interesting, and they give you ample time and direction to always get it done quickly and correctly.
I've heard that you can be fired easily for mistakes, but if you are careful and make sure to put in the effort deserved to get the file done correctly, you'll never have an issue.
Not only is Rev great because I get to learn a lot of things as you're transcribing University files, medical files, lectures, YouTube videos and more, but it's totally based on your time and when you want to do it. Just sign in, and work away.
I will say, Saturday and Sunday's are normally slower, so if it's just a weekend job, I'm not sure how lucrative that would be.
I did it full-time for a period of time, and absolutely loved my job.
Pros
Choose your hours
Cons
Lower pay
Blatant Misrepresentation
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Home based office8 June 2017
The transcription jobs with this company are paid by the minute of the recording, averaging $0.32 per audio minute, in that a 2min recording pays $0.64. There recordings are inaudible and garbled. I type 120 words per minute but the quality of the audio makes it nearly impossible to be accurate. Stay away from this company, meager wages and difficult audio.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Convenient Part Time Work
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Toronto ON17 May 2017
To make a bit of extra money, it's great. Good work if you have solid typing skills and an ear for conversational speech, accents, etc. You won't replace your primary income, but picking up an extra $20 (or a couple hundred) per week, on your own schedule, could be worth your time!
Pros
No schedule, weekly pay, good culture
Cons
If you're a slow typer, might not be worth your time
Job is garbage
audio transcription (Former Employee) –  home24 April 2017
Worst company I ever worked for. Don't waste your time. The pay is like a dollar for a weeks worth of work. The communication is horrible. It's extremely tedious work.
Pros
there are no pros
Cons
Bad pay, over worked, communication
Great work-at-home, you can do it when you want to!
Freelance Captioner (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 April 2017
My experience working as a freelance captioner is very positive; therefore, I've learnt various techniques in creating captions for videos. There was never a project I didn't want to do!

If you were stumped on an aspect on the video, where you couldn't hear the spoken word, or you just needed help on the format of your captions, there was always someone in the Help Forum that would guide you through the problem.
Pros
You could do projects on your own time.
Cons
Small payout.
Most misleading company ever
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  rev30 March 2017
You don't actually get paid for the time you work, you get paid for the minutes you upload... So if a video is 10 minutes long, that takes up to 2 hours to transcribe, and you get paid anywhere from 20 - 70 cents per video. CENTS. Don't apply here, you'll be overwhelmingly disappointed. Making $4 a day isn't even ethical.
Pros
Cons
they pay you in cents
Fun job to work from home (or anywhere)
Captioner & transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 November 2016
I enjoy working for Rev because writing comes easily to me. If you can type fast with impeccable spelling and attention to detail, Rev is the place for you. I think my typing speed has doubled since I started working with Rev. The best thing about it is you don't have to work if you don't have time to. I, for example, haven't captioned for them in around 3 weeks because life has been extremely hectic and I've had too much on my plate to even think about captioning, but now that life has settled, I can go back like nothing happened with no penalties. Overall, a great place to work, but try not to rely on it as your main source of income because sometimes there isn't a lot of work available.
Pros
Can work as much as you want
Cons
Limited jobs on weekends & other "busy" hours, some harsh performance reviewers
Work from home and help the hearing impaired!
Freelance Captioner (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia, Canada7 September 2016
The application process was quick, and I was off to work "Revving." If you enjoy working as much (or as little) as you want, Rev might be a good fit!
Pros
No schedule, work as much as you want, work from home!
Cons
No paid vacation days.
Good job supplement
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  On-line8 August 2015
This is actually a harder position than people think as it involves being extremely accurate with transcription even when it involves foreigners whose language is sometimes very hard to interpret and is about subjects you are unfamiliar with. I have spent hours looking for verifications on the internet to make certain what I'm typing makes sense. It certainly is a way to keep your skills sharp however.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
Sometimes limited work available