Rev.com

Rev.com Employee Reviews

I've been captioning and transcribing for Rev.com for about two years now, and it'd be great if I were actually paid fairly for my work. As it is, it's basically impossible to earn a living wage off freelancing. There is also little to not communication between you and higher management.
Pros
Work on your own time
Cons
Criminally low pay
I worked here for two weeks as a captioner and got kicked off after a week because ONE of the metric requirements was .5 too low for 2 days before I showed improvement and started to get 100% in all of the grades. My account was deactivated without a warning, and the people who grade are always really rude if you dispute a grade.
Pros
Remote
Cons
Everything else
You are able to choose when your want to work, which is the most appealing part for me. It allows me to continue to take care of my family but still earn money. Their expectations are clearly defined and it's not difficult to maintain your metrics. You do need to have an excellent grasp of grammar or else you will not do well.
Pros
Work whenever you want
Cons
The pay is not great for the amount of time it takes you
To clarify, I am a very experienced transcriptionist who worked for almost a year with Rev and received good reviews from their customers. However, Rev continued to send requests for feedback and I naively honestly answered them. I told them clearly that their pay was below what other online transcriptionist companies offered and their grading was confusing. I kept examples of their gradings and one grader would dock you for missing a comma, the next grader would dock you for having too many commas, etc. It all depended on the grader. Interestingly though within two weeks of my last feedback to them, they started to grade all my work, lowering my metrics until they could deactivate my account. Nasty management.
Pros
Pick own hours and work from home
Cons
Grading is totally based on whether the grader had bacon that morning :)
So I read many reviews on here complaining about the grading system.Yes, it is harsh, as it should be, they do make it pretty clear on what they want done, and if you are rushing jobs trying to get paid, rather than worrying if your work is quality, well, than this isn't your kind of work.I am just new to Rev, and its clear to me that you need to take it slow. YOU CHOOSE WHAT FILES TO WORK ON, IF YOU CHOOSE A FILE AND THEN NOTICE YOU DON'T WANT TO WORK ON IT, YOU HAVE A WHOLE HOUR TO DECIDE.Don't complain about audio quality when you are literally in control of what you choose to transcribe!They also make it pretty clear with there leveling system.Put out some good work, take your time, choose the right files and put out good work. Do everything perfectly and you'll be trusted to do better files, with higher paying work, that seems to be the system Rev is based on.Rev. Gave me an opportunity into this realm, I am going to try and make the most of it.
Cons
Depending on your location, pay rates can be on the lower side.
Started out okay but they had metrics that are very difficult to achieve, especially when you're a newbie. They disabled my account after I got a perfect score. I was upset and emailed them twice about it and they completely ignored me. Just warning anyone out there, if you don't get a near perfect score after the first 100 minutes of transcription, they will disable your account. They have people to review your work, so not sure why they're so picky with newbies, its unfair and they need to give people more time to learn.
Pros
You can work on your own schedule
Cons
It's not worth the time unless your an expert transcriptionist
Rev is a super easy to use platform that you can go back to whenever you want. You can work freely from wherever you are so long as you are able to properly hear and transcribe files. Sticking to the guide book can be difficult at times, but the rules are very simple to follow!
Gives poor audio files, has a strict grading system, and if your unable to maintain the grades under this system immediate account closure. This company uses other freelancers to determine if you're allowed to continue working within the company. The criteria to be promoted to a reviewer/grader is very simple where anyone can do within a week or two if you can set aside some time. I highly do not recommend this company, they will easily close your account suddenly themselves, or someone else can easily drop your rating/grade to where the automated system will close your account.
Pros
Able to make your own schedule
Cons
Poor pay, poor audio, strict grading
Rev will be what you put into it. I signed up to get additional practice at transcription for college figuring that a bit of extra money wouldn't hurt. Your initial hours pay really poorly, but if you bother to do enough to get into the highest tier it isn't bad as a side hustle.
Overall the job is highly competitive and very self-led/independent. While it’s fun and interesting there’a often not a lot of jobs available or the pay is too low for the time spent working on it. It’s mainly a side hustle/extra pocket cash deal, not really a base your income on it deal
Pros
Fairly interesting, easy to pick up and learn, self-led, laid back.
Cons
Not that much money, jobs aren’t always available, and difficult to maintain.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Rev.com?
If you can type fast, have a broad vocabulary and a keen attention to detail, the work provided by Rev to its freelancers can be a breeze to complete. There is an abundance of support from the Rev Community via an active forum if you ever get stuck on something, and as long as you are consistent, the work will always be available for you to do if you choose. You get what you give, and that can be a little or a lot. Depends on you.
Low pay and rating system is poor. Good for a couple extra bucks, but not worth it in the long run, even if you enjoy doing this sort of thing. The audio being uploaded to the site is always very poor, and takes a very long time to decipher what is being said, so the pay becomes even worse over time.
free-lance transcriptions are fun as long as you're able to push yourself to do it and you are not bored too easily doing the same thing all day, listening to generally boring things
They have a grading scheme for the submitted transcriptions that is incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes I would have a grader that would mark me down every time they didnt understand why I put a comma, and sometimes I would get someone who had 0 comments on the same quality of work. For all the trouble some of the graders wanted us to go through for difficult audio files, we were paid absolutely nothing. Some audio files that take 15-20 mins to transcribe were paid $1.30. Insanely low pay.
Now, this should not be a full time job. I've been working for REV for 4 years while I was in college full time. If I put in 6-8 hours of work a week I was able to bring in $150-$250 a week (this was after conversion as I'm in Canada). This helped cover minor expenses or spending money I needed when student loans didn't get me there. Grading can be tough but it is to weed out the bad transcriptionists. Don't forget, these audio files are for actual clients needing scripts for the audio or video files. The application can be hard to pass, I think I tried 2 or 3 times. But once in I flew through the grading system. They do hold you to a high standard and if you fall below the minimum level your account gets banned.
Pros
Flexible, Decent Income, Interesting Audio/Video Files
Cons
Grading, Pay, No benefits
It started off okay. You're given the impression that if you commit to working hard and with a high level of quality that you'll proceed to earn more money. However, about 6 months in I was given what entailed more responsibility with no jump in pay. Their standards kept changing and the pay kept going down. You are paid by the minute of whichever project you are working on. The audio is rarely ever clear and that's where the pay is not worth your time. If you have a project that's an hour in length, pays .50 cents a minute, that's $30. However, it's not paid by your minutes (more like hours) of time that you put into it. That one project will often take anywhere from 4 to 8 hours (often times more). So, do the math. If it took you 8 hours, you're earning 3.75/hourly. If you were lucky and it only took you 4 hours, 7.50/hourly. Also, you are not allowed to work on more than one project at a time. The only thing I can say on a positive note is that you work from home and set your own schedule. The other positive is that I now have a year of experience in captioning and transcribing. In closing, I honestly don't understand how they get away with paying people so poorly. They have big name contracts. So, I'm sure the people running things are making a pretty penny off of their employees backs.
Found the work to be of a difficulty level that led to bad marks despite anyone's best attempt. Often had to drop work I'd picked up since it would alter my metrics (their scoring/grading system).
great place to work with awesome people that truly care about your well being and ensure a comfortable work place, always willing to go the extra effort to ensure all is going ok
They expect exceptional work with no regard for employees cost of living, the amount of time or effort put in and the company never takes responsibility when it is at fault.
Pros
Work From Home, Choose Hours
Cons
Terrible Pay To Work Ratio, Can't communicate with anybody above you, You will get blamed for issues with their website, regularly.
Pay is fairly low as is the norm with most online transcription jobs. If you have a good grasp of english and grammar and have a good set of headphones, you will make a decent supplemental income however. There seems to be a lot of work lately.
$0.30-0.50 to start per audio minute. $O.40-$1.00 (barely audible audio) if you get a metric of 4.5 or higher. When you first start, your metric average is decided by the number of jobs you do so if you score anything less than 5/5, their automatic marking system will close your account. Most of the audio you can not understand or hear due to background noise, multiple speakers, or thick accents.
Pros
You set your own hours, choose which horrible audio you want to stressfully transcribe
Cons
Everything else - Pay, audio quality, Non-existent QC process.
  1. Employee reviews