Rev.com Employee Reviews

Not worth the time.
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Ontario2 March 2019
After applying through a lengthy process, you are given very few options, when it comes to what you want to transcribe. I did many transcriptions, most were almost perfect. However, I did a few that seemed to not be up to their standard and I was denied pay and was let go. Nice company, really fair and respects employees...
Pros
You can work at any time you choose
Cons
Bad management of the company, far too harsh and rigid when it came to looking at the guideline, No pay if they deem your work "unacceptable" by their standards
What is flexibility if gaining peanuts
caption (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 March 2019
So, It is flexible, yes.
Let us say a media file you need to transcribe is 3 minutes long. Between concentrating to hear the person and writting the words and syncing everything together, it takes 20-30 minutes long. that is work applied. the pay out for that 3 minutes media file and the 20-30 minutes work done, is between 1.50 to 2.00 dollars.

okay. that goes into your account. Currency exchange fees and who know what else. congratulations, your hour is 50 cents.

A monkey at the zoo gets paid better than you.
Pros
when ever you want
Cons
no money.
Earnings Are Incredibly Low
Captioner (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 February 2019
I joined Rev about a year ago. I have captioned about three videos. Only three, you say. Well, it is not worth the effort to work for REV. The work is fairly fun and interesting, but the pay is incredibly poor. Some of the videos are unintelligible, as well, which makes the work very difficult, if not impossible.

I see that REV is running and advert that claims one can earn $1495.00 CAD in a month. Based on my experience -- and I am a good typist at about 60wpm -- it is simply not possible to earn that amount in a month, simply because there are not that many hours in a month. If one were to work 24 hours a day for 31 days, one would earn $744.00 CAD. Basically, you earn a dollar an hour. If you are lucky, you might double that if the video is clear and easy. This is based on doing a really good job that will get you 5 out of 5 in the company's rating scale.
Pros
Work is fun and challenging.
Cons
Incredibly poor pay, some very frustrating videos to caption.
Unforgiving to those trying to learn the trade
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON22 February 2019
I'd never done any transcription before this job but I am a pretty efficient typist so I figured it would be a good fit, and it was.
However, if you do make any mistakes and add things (symbols, such as double dashes) to make the flow of the transcript more fluid, you are immediately penalised and however many hours of work you did just goes right down the drain and all the research and typing and spell-checking and repeated audio you worked on is just done for free. Nice.

I am leaving this unforgiving company.
Pros
Freelance work
Cons
The lows hit hard
Dishonest Customers and Low Pay
Audio Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 February 2019
The only good thing about this is you can work when you want and how much you want, but pay is extremely low for the amount of time and work you have to put into it.
There is a choice of audio files to pick from but most are unintelligible with incoherent speakers, lots of background noises, inaudible etc. Once you pick an audio to transcribe, it might take you hours for 15 min clip, and you only get paid per minute of audio, not the amount of time you spent working on it. So on average, minute per audio is 0.40 cents, which means you would only make about $6 for working on it for about 3 hours. Even if you are fast typist, it doesn't matter if audio is low quality and difficult to understand.
Once you submit it, it's graded by another agent, and they give you a score on it. If customer complains about it and isn't happy for whatever reasons than it's graded again by Support. There are many dishonest customers who complain for trivial or fake reasons, in order to get discounts, so Support will than downgrade your overall score and thus prevent you from reaching target necessary to advance and get better pay.
You have a choice when accepting low pay or low grade audio files, but you have no choice or say in client's unreasonable and dishonest complaints, so it's very much a demeaning type of job, hard work is not appreciated or acknowledged by any means.
I would definitely NOT recommend this type of work for this company until they raise their work ethics.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
dishonest customers, low pay
Shady
Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 January 2019
I started working for Rev and never got paid. I tried to contact their management department, they were very polite and tried to be helpful but I still didn't get paid. After many messages they literally just gave up and told me to contact PayPal myself. It was funny and sad at the same time. They still owe me some.money but it's not even worth the headache. Stay away.
Pros
Still.looking for them
Cons
There's a chance you won't get paid and nobody over there will care.
Pay is a little low but the flexibility makes up for it.
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Unknown28 January 2019
I enjoy Rev because I find the work generally easy and can do it in my PJs from home. While typing with Rev my WPM is about 60 because you often have to pause the audio and sometimes go back to verify what was said, while most days my WPM is about 85. You have an hour to unclaim projects with no penalty, and as long as you follow the format guide you will not be docked points. After 600 minutes of transcription I have a score of 4.9/5.
The downfall is the pay is a little less. It takes me about an hour to type ten minutes of audio, and the pay varies from 50 cents to a dollar per minute of AUDIO. However these funds are in American, making the payout a little better for me as a Canadian.
I wouldn't use Rev as my only source of income, but as someone who is working part time it helps to bring in a bit of cash- I generally make between 100-200$ a week and have never had an issue with being paid.
Pros
Flexibility, comfortable
Cons
Lower pay
Bad pay for the amount of hours you ACTUALLY put into working
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Oakville25 January 2019
On the surface, working at Rev.com seems like a great experience: you choose your own hours, the work is easy, and the pay is good. However, it's not as great as it seems. It takes double to triple the amount of time that a video actually is to transcribe it, the audio quality is usually horrid, and the Rev.com staff does not hesitate to terminate your account if you fall below their standards. Overall, not a stable company, and the pay is not good for the amount of work you put into transcribing for them.
Pros
Choose your own hours
Cons
Low pay and no job security
Love the work flexibility
Transcriber (Current Employee) –  Work from Home16 January 2019
I found the application process simple and quick. I completed the testing and was approved within a couple of days, and moved into non-rookie status within a week. While the audio is definitely horrible at the rookie level, moving into the other levels provides better file quality. The materials offered to explain the work requirements were simple and quite sufficient for what they expected during the testing phase.

The pay rates may not be great, but they do pay better than any other service of its type that I have experience with to date.

You have your choice of what files to work on, and lots of ability/time to dump the files if they aren't working for you. There is lots of help available in the site's forum from other transcribers, and I have found the support team to be very responsive.

I love the fact that I can work whenever I wish, so long as there are files available. Holiday times can be a little slow, but I still found enough to do to meet my weekly goals. The fact that they pay you weekly in American dollars was extremely nice.
Pros
flexibility in when you work and in what you work on, so the work/life balance couldn't be better
Cons
not the greatest pay, but it's in American dollars, so it works out better for Canadians
Please don't waste your time - unless you are really really desperate
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  North York, ON13 January 2019
I worked for Rev one summer when I was honestly super desperate to make money. I have a 90-100wpm typing speed and I thought this would be the perfect way to make money.

I started my training with Rev...which they provide little guidance. Once the training was finished I quickly realized how many hours it takes for you to get paid money. A 12 minute audioclip would take me 2+ hours to complete. I want to also reiterate that my typing speed is almost 100WPM. The reason that it would take this long is almost all audio recordings for you to choose from (which btw is a lot of competition, you really have to choose them quick when they become available) are terrible in quality. I would spend minutes just figuring out what one word was being said. I would obsess over every word because they dock you points based on the accuracy of your transcription. Your scores matter becomes you have to be higher than a certain threshold. A lot of background noises, multiple speakers, and overall terrible audio quality. It was mind-numbing work. Once I was finished about 2 hours of transcribing I'd be paid like 6$. It was garbage pay but once again....I was desperate and would take anything I could get. Now that I have an actual job I just want to warn people that it is NOT worth your time.
Pros
A little money
Cons
Almost everything else
Horrible
AUDIO TRANSCRIPTIONSIT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2019
I despised my time with Rev.com. They do not offer you a good salary for the amount of time you spend transcribing the audio on the sight and it gets incredibly tedious very quickly.
No Explanation
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  home21 December 2018
So if you mess up with computer technical difficulties on even 1 transcription, while you're in training...be sure that they will say, I'm sorry, you're not a good fit and we are disabling your account! A computer TECHNICAL issue. Otherwise I had 5/5 on all other docs.
Pros
work from home
Cons
you can be let go at any time...instable
Waste of time
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto16 November 2018
I have work history of Live Transcribing for years so I thought this job would be easier since you can rewind the audio files etc.

However I was disappointed in the amount of time they have you take to complete their application and then send you an email saying you didn't qualify based on the testing. Got an email saying only 12% of applicants get through which should reflect their incompetent interview process of giving you transcription rules to follow and then punishing you for following their rules. They don't tell you what you did wrong but says general mistakes are using incorrect form or tense and omitting words. First they don't want you to change the speakers words and if the sound is not audible they mark it against you for omitting words when in their rules they state omit words if you can't hear the audio.

Beware:
Application process takes a very long time.
1. They ask you various questions about grammar.
2. They give a overview of their program and rules ex. do not correct speakers grammar or change their words or sentence, indicate when you are not able to hear the speakers words etc. SO BASICALLY your learning their program during the application.
3. They have you transcribe a poor audio file. It says time doesn't matter but I'm sure they recorded it somewhere.

The email says you can reapply after 45 days which makes me think they use this application process for free labour.

PAY: Basically what I gathered you will be working on a clip for longer than expected thus your rate of pay will be less than advertised.
Pros
nothing
Cons
long application process, less pay per sec, rarely hires anyone that applies, poor audio, poor training
Poor Application Process
Applicant (Former Employee) –  Home30 October 2018
Application process asks you to answer basic English grammar, spelling, and punctuation questions. After completing the quiz, they throw you into an “example” work project using their transcription software. No training or guidance aside from how to use the software and “when in doubt, omit the words”.

I completed the text, relistened to the clip while reading over what I entered, and sent with confidence it was done correctly. Immediate next day response rejecting my application, with nothing more than “only 12% get through”.

Are these example audio files the same for everyone, or different audio clips that Rev has received from clientele. Proper training with a senior transcriptionist would certainly help teach that “Rev Style Guide” 88% of applicants seem to misunderstand.

Don’t be fooled by the $0.40-$0.75/minute ($24-$45/hour) payroll. Even if you listen through once without skipping back, you would most likely double check the file again making it more like $0.20-$0.37/minute ($12-$22.20/hour). As you are most likely not paid by how long you spend on the file, but by the length of the file itself.
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
Uncaring upper management, poor employee relations
Flexible, but poor pay
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 October 2018
It's a great job if you want something you can do from home and want the ability to work when you want and for how long you want.
However, the pay is extremely poor per hour, even if you are speedy at typing, and it requires a lot of time to get through audios, especially the ones with low quality sound (which is a lot of them). You get graded at random once you get into Rev status, and the graders are extremely differing depending on who does it (one will tell you you did something wrong on one job, another will counteract it on another job). The out of 5 system is also very poor and very penalizing when it comes to minor mistakes.
Pros
Flexible, work from home, work when you want to, the payout is timely
Cons
Very poor pay, poor quality audio 90% of the time, graders are inconsistent and there is zero quality assurance
Good Hours, Poor Pay and Communication
Captioner (Former Employee) –  Home Based3 October 2018
I started as a captioner and it was very enjoyable. However, you are paid very little AND for the first (I think it's 150 minutes) you are given feedback. This feedback differs. I would be told I was doing something incorrectly and I would correct it, but some other QC would tell me I was doing it wrong still.
Sometimes they wouldn't tell me what I did wrong and how I could correct it, they just told me I was wrong. Which, for the first 150 minutes, they're supposed to provide detailed feedback.
Because my formatting was off I was "let go". Good luck trying to find stuff out in the style guide and feedback, because despite this being a beginner level job, they expect you to be perfect.
Great place to work at your own pace
Audio/Video Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON13 September 2018
I enjoy the freedom to work at my own pace/hours. I enjoy that I am able to work from home. It has allowed me to improve my typing skills and my listening skills. Sometimes audio quality is difficult and there can often be some language barriers that can prevent you from doing the best job possible. However, they are flexible in allowing you to forfeit the work and move onto something else penalty free.
Good option as a student to work from home on your own schedule
Transcriber (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2018
I love Rev because it is an easy way to work from home, and I get to pick my own hours and do it as much as I want. I end up making a couple hundred dollars a week, which is good for extra costs. This is not something that you could do full-time as a career, as my wrists do get quite sore after a few trasncriptions. Also can be very tedious work.
Pros
Easy, work from home, pick your hours
Cons
Tedious, wrist pain
Good place to start as a transcriber
Transcriber (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2018
Too competitive and often get penalized by the judgement of others. Reaching the status of Revver is tough even if you are good! Good luck moving forward.
Uncaring staff, inattentive graders, poor pay
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 March 2018
You are not valued at Rev.com. Your requests for review will never be responded to, to make a living you need to work at least 60 hours a week (and it is a meager living), there is no culture of understanding, and if a video file provided by the customer is corrupt, you will be the one penalized for it. But it is fun!
Pros
I saw White Famous before it premiered on Showtime
Cons
Literally everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rev.com. Our community is ready to answer.