Rev
Happiness score is 45 out of 100

Working at Rev: Latest Rev Reviews

Canada122 reviews

Found 122 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,347 reviews

Freedom to choose but boring and yet stressful with very low pay

There's no team, it's entirely from home and your "manager" just checks your work for errors. I liked that I could pick what I wanted to transcribe. Got to listen to some interesting interviews. Pay is awful, but that's the price you pay for working however often you want from home.

Pros

Freedom to choose, work from home, some interesting projects

Cons

Pay is way below what it should be, very little support and no team, repetitive, requires complete concentration as mistakes are a huge deal

Treat their freelancers like garbage

To be clear, I am not an employee. None of the people who do the transcription and captioning are, which isn't a problem in and of itself, but they pay well, WELL below minimum wage for the majority of the work that arrives into the queue, and have cut pay time and time again since I started in 2018. There is almost no communication from the higher-ups about what is going on, and on the rare occasions when they do communicate, they often blatantly lie about their plans and intentions. It is abundantly clear that they do not value the time and effort involved in the work that they profit from. Recently, work has become very scarce but they continue to onboard new contractors. All that's left in the queue are jobs with terribly poor audio quality, which still pays pennies per minute, and you have to constantly refresh the work queue in the hopes of snagging anything at all. It was not a great opportunity to begin with, but has only continued to get more and more exploitative as time goes on.

Insights into Rev

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Great flexibility, alright pay

I started with Rev before the pandemic and it was great to be able to sign on and pick projects as I wanted. The pay wasn't super great considering the amount of time it can take to watch/listen/rewind and work on a file to make sure you get it right, and some of the audio files were really horrible quality but you could give back any projects you couldn't finish. Definitely would take a lot of hours and time to make decent money. The competition for jobs grew in 2020 (no surprise) and unfortunately once they required ID, which makes sense, I had lots of trouble trying to upload it, so I wasn't able to continue with the company.

Pros

very flexible hours

Cons

lots of competition

This is the worst job anyone can apply for so stay away!

The worst part is you are being graded very hard with so many freelancers and experts.You can never achieve their so called set target.You give your time and take all the stress in captioning just 2-5 minute video for over an hour and in result some idiot will grade you in their hardest grading system as if you are been graded for some flaws which are never considered.

Work at your own pace.

Piece work as a transcriptionist. You need to be incredibly fast and accurate in order to make even minimum wage. Getting good files are hard and sometimes the people who edit your files are ridiculous.

Pros

Work when you want

Cons

Bad pay.

Decent work for some extra cash.

It's a good website. I like how easy it is to apply and go through the assigned (paid) training. There is a lot of variety when it comes to projects and usually there is a sufficient amount of work of decent quality. However, on the weekends, there usually isn't much posted for transcribers to do, and sometimes the workload can be limited. Not stable for a full-time job. If you are looking for something to sustain a living, this is something more as a part-time on top of something else.

Pros

Lots of variety, easy application process, paid training, flexible hours, work when you want.

Cons

Limited work, work is not guaranteed.

Very flexible work hours and work load, not great pay

I love working at Rev, it makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something important. The pay could be better, though. But love the relaxed atmosphere.

Pros

Meaningful work, flexible hours and workload

Cons

Low pay

Absolutely exhausting and draining!

A typical day at work is spending hours searching for an audio that you would be able to understand to transcribe. After you happen to find one, say, a 45 minute one, the pay is around around $15 to $20(if you are lucky). You will find yourself transcribing that 45 min audio for over 3 hours depending on the number of speakers and going back and forth if you don't understand something they say. You need to be absolutely precise with not just accurately typing what they are saying but formatting it too. You will also be spending time researching which you are not being paid for. Their grading process is kind of strange. I noticed that they graded my projects pretty fast. A 45 minute one got graded in under 30 minutes. A 20 minute project got graded in under 10 minutes. What I have learned is that they have zero appreciation for your sincere and hard work. After working for 8 hours on one project, they gave me a warning that my account will be deactivated if I don't meet their unreasonable mark. The company has no culture. There is nothing hard about this job and there is nothing enjoyable about this job. You get excited to apply first because it's remote but soon, you will find out how terrible it is. If you want to work for this garbage company expect to be treated like garbage.

Pros

flexible hours, weekly pay, remote

Cons

pay is not even worth it considering how much effort you put in a project

Interesting work, but non-existent wages

The work that we do as transcriptionists and captioners can be very interesting, but also tiresome. I've completed many projects for shows that I ended up really enjoying. Unfortunately, the amount of effort required does not match what you are paid. And the amount of mental fatigue I have experienced in my time with Rev surpasses the mental fatigue I've ever had at any other job. To start off, no one teaches you the ropes. You must teach yourself the Style Guide. But the Style Guide isn't actually the Style Guide, it's basically a beginner's guide. The actual Style Guide is speckled throughout a help centre, so you have to dig for the information yourself. You don't understand what you're doing incorrectly until you receive a poor grade, which I think is unfair as it impacts your metrics. Just a pipe dream, but I wish Rev would choose to properly train Rookies so everyone is on the same page and we can all complete our work with confidence. Hearing one thing from one 'Expert' and the complete opposite from another 'Expert' makes a really confusing situation, especially when it involves your metrics. Their Style Guide is strict, which is understandable, but most of the time the recordings are gargled garbage. You can't decipher what is being said because of poor audio quality or very thick accents. It'll take you forever to figure out what is being said, and by that point you're making pennies per hour. The flexibility of the job is nice, and I like that I can work from home and select my own projects. But lack of direction, low payment, and confused graders are the reasons -

Pros

Enjoying the content

Cons

Low pay, no training, Rev standards are too harsh given lack of training, Rev Support and 'Experts' give conflicting information

Interesting work but not a viable source of income

The work itself can be interesting, there are some fun projects. You can pick your own hours and work as much as you want. However, I found it absolutely impossible to make anywhere near the minimum wage working for Rev, not even close. Also, the quality of the recordings can be terrible, and I often end up wasting a lot of time just looking for projects that are audible and transcribable. Overall, Rev may be a decent source of supplemental income for those who already have a job that pays bills, or it may give something different to do to a stay-at-home parent or a retiree. I realize that Rev’s model is built on providing the lowest possible cost to the client, so they can’t afford to pay their transcriptionists anything close to a living wage. However, for me personally, this is not a viable way to make a living, unfortunately.

Pros

Interesting work, can pick your own hours.

Cons

Impossible to make a living even working full-time hours.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Rev?

A Very Mixed Bag

Pros: Work from home, the job itself is actually kind of fun and you get exposed to various types of media that you ordinarily wouldn't have before.Cons: You get paid by the length of the video, not by how long you put into it (which can easily be triple the length of the video itself), the grading is very inconsistent, their written tutorials are not as helpful as they really ought to be, if your point average isn't up to snuff you lose access to longer videos and end up working for crumbs.What started out as an interesting venture just became very discouraging. If I wanted to grey my hairs by questioning if I'm actually doing my job properly while being told from three different directions what to do, I'd just stay at my current job. That $600 a week is an outright LIE unless you do absolutely NOTHING (eat, sleep, use the bathroom, etc) but caption for scraps. It almost feels like a "hire and fire" situation where the powers that be get some labor from you and then kick you to the curb.

You Control Your Hours

Working for them is absolutely amazing. Work from home, pick your contracts whenever/wherever, amazing community and management. However, the pay is extremely low and advancement is, while not impossible, requires serious commitment. Great for a second job when you need just a little extra dough.

Pros

You choose your hours and workload, amazing community/support, clear objectives

Cons

severely low pay, advancement difficult, and jobs can be difficult to get during prime hours due to competition

99% of the transcription jobs are inaudible

I'm not sure what's going on with the clients who submit things to be transcribed, but the audio quality is absolutely horrible on almost everything. I could make a better recording by accidentally butt-dialing someone with my phone, or dropping it in the toilet while I'm having a conversation. I've tried and tried to find good jobs to transcribe and it seems to be impossible. It's sad because I would really like to do this work, but it's just laughable when you hear what people want transcribed! Set up to fail.

Pros

Work whenever you want

Cons

Theres nothing audible to work on!

Work whenever you want as much as you want.

Chance to make extra weekly income at your own pace. Projects are fun and keep you current on what’s going on in different industries. You also learn a great deal as there are times you may have to research what you’re transcribing.

Pros

You manage if and when you want to work. Paid weekly in USD.

Cons

Some projects take longer than anticipated

Exhausting

I have been working here for a few months now. Pay is dramatically low for the amount of work you actually do. I expected as much when I started as it has a "work your way up" mentality, but when I graduated to the next level, jobs that had a pay total of $60+ dollars would take over ten hours to complete. The anxiety of completing things to an ever-changing standard is extremely difficult to manage and there are very few jobs that pay well enough to justify the hours and stress involved. If you're looking to make some convenience store snack cash, this is great, but it's not a way to earn your sole living and I highly recommend diversifying your WFH options.

Pros

Choose your own hours

Cons

Extremely low pay

Bad experience overall to be honest

It is quite honestly a lot of work. let's say you get a 30 min video to caption and pay might be high 20s $ if you're lucky. But the entire task will take minimum an hour to complete. You're expected to be so precise and perfect with synching, captioning and formatting. If the company finds a problem with one of theses sections they give you a warning and then disable your account. I made 85$, week one, $160 week two and 275$ week 3 and then my account was disabled. Even though ,y effort and technique remained constant. It is not up for discussion either, simply banned.

Pros

paid weekly, flexible hours

Cons

unreasonable termination is common, lots of work put into each project

Good work to fill the day

While I see a lot of people complaining about their rates, it was made 100% clear upon hiring how much the pay was. Yes, it seems low however you do get to choose the audios & the rates that you wish. If you want to work on only 2-3 minute videos, that is your choice. There are also rush jobs that pay more as well. It helps fill in the times throughout the day that is slower at my other job. Also, if you are not liking the audio that you chose, you CAN unclaim it! Right now, there are over 700 audios to transcribe! You chose when you want to work!

Disgusting Company

Absolutely terrible company. Underpaid and forced rushed work under a time limit. Can and will fire you for one mistake without warning or care. No communication between the company and its workers. Advertised as $600 weekly, which is completely untrue.

Time consuming and very low pay.

I am still working for Rev. Despite being my first month, the company does not pay for the work I put in as an employee. Let's be honest, some of the videos are with horrible quality and there is no way for the capitionist to figure out what the audio is saying. And the shorter the videos, the worst the quality gets. The longer videos which are from 19-30 minutes long are paid as $13- $21. Seems very appealing in paper, however, the video takes longer than 4-5 hours to format it and have it costumer ready. At some point, it is impossible to dictate the audio, so it says make your best guess. And do not guess. You will get your score dropped and this can get your account disabled. I am given warning for the few times I scored 2-3/ 5. And the majority of times I scored perfect is overlooked. I just wish I got paid for the hard and sincere work I put into the projects. And yeah, I wish I didn't get paid $10 dollars for 5+ hours of work. I feel like I'm back in Stone Age periods with the pay I get.

Pros

easy to use the website.

Cons

extreme underpaid wages, bad video qualities, time consuming.

Complete Waste of Time.

Difficult to meet their standards without putting in a significant amount of effort. Halfway through each of the 4 ten minute projects I did, I found myself absolutely dreading what I'd chosen to put myself through for a few bucks. They pay from $0.50-$0.84 per minute of audio translated. One minute of audio can take anywhere from 2 mins, to 10 mins to decipher and format. It really is demoralizing work... I also felt they were a bit rude to me upon departure which was surprising considering how they take advantage of you. This is coming from someone with a University Degree! Avoid at all costs.

Pros

Cons

Below minimum wage pay

Modern Day Slavery

Would you appreciate putting in the hours of work for a whole week then getting deactivated without a reasonable explanation and the icing on the cake is that they remove all your pay for the week to $0.00? If you can't handle such mistreatment in the middle of a pandemic then stay away from Rev.com as a freelancer.

Pros

Flexible work hours

Cons

Deactivation is just a matter of time regardless of metrics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rev. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement