Retirement Concepts Employee Reviews

Such passion for evidence-informed and holistic care
Director of Care (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC28 October 2018
It has been 8 weeks since commencing my role at Retirement concepts. I am typically not one to write reviews, however, I have connected with such amazing and passionate leaders and staff within the organization, it makes this review well worth it. To encounter such passion for evidence-informed and holistic care is amazing. Prior to commencing my role within the organization, they acquired their accreditation status, with commendation, which shows their endeavor for excellence.
It has been an amazing experience thus far, forming these amazing relationships with our residents and their families. The staff are super eager to learn and strive to improve the care they provide. In-services are offered regularly to staff to enhance their skills.
There is definitely work to be done to shift the mindset of a few staff members whose values do not align with those of the organization.
Pros
Regular employee appreciation events
Innovative company on an upward climb
Leadership Team Member (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC23 October 2018
I've worked for Retirement Concepts for over 2 years and I am very happy with the growth I have seen. There have been many changes but I have seen huge steps forward in regards to all aspects of operations. We successfully completed Accreditation with Commendation which was a huge accomplishment in the Industry. The dedication and teamwork from the top down was amazing to see. I really enjoy my current role and find it very rewarding coming to work each day. We are fortunate that we get to work in the home of our residents. We get to know them and develop relationships with their families. I have a good work/life balance and feel that my employer supports my family life. The most challenging part of the job is snuffing out the negative culture of some staff members. We have many amazing and passionate staff members, but also a few that do not support the company's overall culture and values.
Pros
Cons
Turnover of staff
I like my job
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  BC4 September 2018
I come to RC after working several years at another Retirement Living company.

What I like about RC is that we are focused on providing the best care, service and home to our residents.

Where I work, the managers make a effort to engage and support the front line staff so everyone enjoys coming to work and has a good work life balance. Caring for seniors can be very demanding and emotionally exhausting; we have to care for the ones who care for our residents.

In this industry in particular, it's difficult to recruit employees, especially care staff, when we have to compete with local health authorities. FH naturally pays higher wages, which we can't match unless we price our seniors out of a home. This means that we rely heavily on a smaller but hard-working group of employees who are willing to work overtime and go the extra mile because they care for their residents. At the end of the day, working at a RC retirement or residential care home is NOT the same as working at a hospital; you get the satisfaction of making a difference every day and building those relationships with the people you take care of and their loved ones. Whether it's working providing personal care, or at the front desk, in the kitchen & dining room, providing housekeeping, helping with recreation programs, or working as a manager, I know we are all here for more than just a paycheque. We are here to make a difference.

I am currently involved in a project working to improve and standardize many of the administrative and other practices and policies as a company. We are moving together in
  more... the right direction and I see great things coming in the future for this company.

Also, if you are looking for a home for that special senior in your life, it doesn't get better than RC!
Pros
Rewarding to work with seniors
Cons
A challenge to recruit good workers
happy to work
DIRECTOR OF CARE (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 June 2018
The company provides an all out support to the staff.The management team shows a very supportive culture and understanding of one's mistake.
The opportunity to learn and lead is very apparent. Professional development is being tract and recognized one way or the other. The general manager works hand in hand with the rest of the leadership team which makes everyone more inspired to do better.
Fun and energetic place to work, friendly staff and residents
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 June 2018
I enjoyed working here for many many years and only left after my manager decided to leave. we built a great relationship and my job there was the best I've ever had! highly recommended.
Pros
my manager taught me how to drive a bus and supported me in earning my class 4
Cons
hated working weekends
Supportive Team
Student (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 April 2018
Staff respectful towards each other. Management team works well together, communicates policy clearly within team. Flexibility of work life balance. Various care jobs that fit with lifestyle. Recognize and Promote each profession, rather than medical only. A caring and well rounded approach to client/resident/tenant care. A wonderful experience at Retirement Concepts, and would recommend this company to anyone inquiring.

As for the persons complaining, you make your own day, by demonstrating your ability to lead. Staff shortages are in every company and health village or facility, it is not a reflection on one company. As for gossip and back biting, do not allow this behavior, use assertiveness skills and speak out and confront when one employee harms another with bullying behavior.

A positive experience.
Pros
Clear policy and communication. Great teamwork. Respectful staff.
Cons
Environmental safety practices could benefit from fine tuning
Fast paced and challenging.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Quebec21 March 2018
Working at Retirement Concepts is an interesting endeavor. I worked there for only a short while but during that time there were lots of changes in the support office. The HR department has been replaced at least twice and that took place over the course of six months. The buildings are under staffed across every site. Our General Manager worked to get more staffing but it never worked. She was always told no.

On the plus side due to lack of training hours available every manager learns every other department managers skills. If you are good at gossip, being a weasel and good at back stabbing this is the company for you.

Money is well below average for any manager positions.
Pros
Lots of work, unique challenges, possibility of promotion
Cons
Long hours, little support, bullying atmosphere, unsafe work environment, understaffing
Horrible across the board
Essential Services (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC26 February 2018
Untrained and unqualified managers, Toxic work environment,
Always Short staffed, No staff safety,Injuries from unsafe work practices are constant,
Unsupportive staff and management make returning to work stressful.
Pros
You're union so you won't get fired even if you're the worst of the worst employee
Cons
Everything bad you can think of exists at Nanaimo Seniors Village
Too many secrets, not telling truth, cannot trust management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC15 January 2018
People doing their own thing, I think they think they
are doing good but do not include others when they should.
This causes financial cost increases due to not doing the
work properly to begin with.
Pros
Some of the employees are very talented and good to work with
Cons
Management needs improving.
Stay away!
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 December 2017
Poor management team. Manipulative, passive agressive, lying snakes. Stay away. RNs are overwhelmed, poor morale and staffing. Safety is not #1, and no education offered for new or continuing staff. Poor pay and compensation. Nurses are under HEU union, which does nothing. I quit and they still owe me outstanding wages! Not worth the bad energy. You are needed elsewhere!
Pros
RN office
Cons
Poor pay, horrible management, poor staffing and morale.
Total joke, main manager is out of there minds.
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC6 December 2017
Do you wanna work for someone who lies cheats and blames others then this is the place for you. No really this place was so bad towards the end I just sat back and watched it worsen.
Pros
Cons
A lot but mostly the unbelievable attitude of the "leadership team"
Retirement Concepts, a positive choice.
Clinical Educator (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC5 December 2017
Have now worked for Retirement Concepts for 6 months.
My job has worked well for me with work/life balance which is important to me and my family.
I feel like I am given interesting and manageable projects and my co-workers are very supportive and make my job fun.
I love that I am part of a company that is striving to serve our seniors with high quality, safe care.
My background is Clinical and I am enjoying providing support to our different communities around BC. I am getting to use all my skills and I am being supported in advancing my knowledge.
Pros
Good worklife balance, Great co-workers, Interesting and challenging projects, Positive work goals, serving seniors
Excellent Place to work
Head Office (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 November 2017
The company has been through some changes recently - I'm excited about what the future holds.

There is opportunity for development, advancement. I'm working on some great initiatives and projects.
Pros
Great people, lots of exciting times ahead
Awesome place to work!
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 November 2017
I was hesitant to start at RC, but it came to be the best decision I have made in a long time. Great staff and colleagues. Great support from Management. Work-Life balance is very important to me and I am I am to say, I have this for the first time in a long time.
I am so happy to feel like I am making a difference.
Pros
Good working ethics, work life balance, teamwork
Cons
Not enough time in the day to get things I wish to do!
Poor place to work
Minion (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC12 October 2017
I've worked here for a longtime and this year is the worst it's ever been. Management is very unprofessional they do NOT know how to talk to or even treat their employees with a shred of respect; and they bully their workers, morale is at an all time low, severely understaffed and over worked employees, poor wages, no raise in over two years, been working without a contract for at least two years. Half of the appliances in the building are broken and never fixed unless you hound maintenance to do it.
10/10 would never work for this company again unless drastic change of management.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Listed
wost place I have worked in my 30 yr career
health care professional (Former Employee) –  Comox Valley, BC12 October 2017
high turnover of staff is due to poor pay relative to similar employers and a toxic work culture in which issues are brought up and nothing is ever done about them. I would never go back. Any good staff eventually quit as soon as other opportunities arise. Company does not provide enough resources including food, facecloths, employees or thoughtfulness in their day to day procedures. The hardest thing is to see that these lovely old seniors are the ones who suffer from a company that chases profits to the exclusion of almost everything else.
Pros
beautiful facility in a lovely part of the world
Cons
staff shortages, no teamwork, poor communication channels, managers ability to make changes is nil
Fun work environment with open door policy
Executive Assistant to the President and CEO (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 September 2017
The CEO was a fun and outgoing individual. His entire family is humble and kind and the culture there was like a big happy family. Everyone knew everyone's name. Everyone pushed and pulled each other for success. It is a big team together at Retirement Concepts.
Wouldn't Reccommend
LPN (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 July 2017
Do you want to work for a place of employment with a high turnover rate? If yes, this is the place for you. Has gone through 6 General Managers in the last year. Poor Morale. Terrible Ownership. Staff constantly threatening to go on strike. Company cannot fill suites so jobs are always in jeopardy. Low pay compared with industry standards.
Pros
Free Lunch
Enjoyable work environment
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Summerland, BC12 January 2017
I liked the constant ability to have training in all area's and to be introduced to new procedures as well as always supported by staff and management.
Pros
flexible work hours and schedules
Short staff
HCa (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC12 November 2016
Union weakest in the island. Management expect you to the bath even short staff. We are told by the new management to not speak any other languages in the building, even in the staff room.
Pros
Co workers are friendly and love the residents.
Cons
Wages lowest in the island

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Retirement Concepts. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8