Retirement Concepts
Information from Retirement Concepts:

Retirement Concepts Employee Reviews

Canada89 reviews
Featured review
Retirement Concepts selected this as a representative review
Exciting, challenging and fun
Working at retirement concept on the island can be challenging, exciting, but fun. We have many staff who have worked at this site for over 10 years, when it's originally built. That should tell you something! Staff and management are very passionate about their job and are constantly striving for excellent quality care. Are there opportunities for improvement? Certainly. But we encounter challenges like every other single long term care home known to Canadians. But it's really the staff and residents that make this place so special
Pros
fun, supportive, caring people
15 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to review our company. You couldn’t be more right when you say our people are amazing. We agree! We’re lucky to have found so many outstanding performers who are also fun to be around.
Turn and run
The toxicity of this company starts at the COO and trickles down affecting all employees. The mistreatment of management at site level is horrific, yet they’re told how valued they are!
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Toxic culture
Busy. Seniors are awsome!
Love the people but since the company has been bought by the Chinese government it has continued to struggle to maintain good customer service. The company now only seems to care about it's bottom line even if the residents have to go without.
Wow what a nightmare
I loved the seniors, most of the staff are amazing, the management sucks. They will tell you something and then say something different to someone else. There is not an open door policy and the concern of the management is how much money they earn. Instead of residents care and needs.
15 April 2020
Thank you for your comment. As a company we strive to be better everyday and will look into your concerns.
Team work
Retirement concepts health care staff and management welcomed me in their team with positivity and full of support. They are very open minded in the ideas their staff shares. They listen and respect the opinion of everyone in the team. I am happy at the moment with our team
Pros
Teamwork
15 April 2020
Thank you very much for this amazing comment. At the end of the day we are all here for our residents and making their lives as positive as possible. We are glad you are enjoying working for Retirement Concepts!
Fraudulent, abusive and unethical....
From utilizing nurses only licensed in Alberta to work in BC, to firing a staff member due to taking personal time off due to visit a palliative parent, the top senior leadership at Retirement Concepts and West Coast Seniors Housing is as unethical as it comes. Top leaders continue to lie to residents, family, staff, media and even various health authorities. They claim that they are understaffed due to lack of talent in various markets...the fact is, they are understaffed due to paying less than a third of the industry average in so many positions.

It is unfortunate that organizations such as Retirement Concepts/West Coast Seniors Housing operate in such an unethical way, in an industry dealing with some of our most vulnerable citizens. These business practices are, without a doubt, impacting the quality of life of those living in the communities run by Retirement Concepts/West Coast Seniors Housing.

As the saying goes, “Integrity is about doing the right thing even when no one is looking”. The fact is, everyone is looking - from residents of these retirement homes, their families and friends, staff and many other community members. The arrogance displayed by this organization sickening and non-response to so many media inquiries is criminal. The leaders at Retirement Concepts/West Coast Seniors Housing need to be held accountable and shut down.

Kudos to the health authorities that have taken control of some of these private retirement homes.
Working for RC is good for office and management staff
It seems that some employees with RC who work in administration, GM, etc. enjoy their work because they don,t see resisdents not properly looked after
Run away
Forced overtime to make it appear staffing is adequate. High management turnover. Heavily investigated by licensing. It used to be a great place. Now it isn't.
Equipment is old and outdated. Rationing of incontinence products.
Zero Work-LIfe Balance
The environment is extremely toxic, they constantly misled you for schedule, pay and benefits. It has one of the lowest pay-scales I have seen, despite your level of experience.
I am grateful for my experience.
I learned a great deal from working at Retirement Concepts. This experience showed me how important activity and engagement really is for seniors in contributing to their sense of meaning on a day to day basis.
Awful Place to Work as an RN
I worked as a casual Registered Nurse for a year. RN's were given way too much duties on top of looking after their residents' while the LPN's had half the work. RN's were made to be security guards, deal with conflict resolution, maintenance issues, babysitting LPN's, HR issues & scheduling of shifts etc. all for what a few extra dollars that we made more than the LPN's? NOT WORTH THE STRESS AND AGGRAVATION! HR and managers would come and go one after another not even staying there a year. On top of it all I was bullied and harassed by the night shift nurse and the Director of Care did nothing about it after bring it to her attention! Absolutely unprofessional, appalling, unorganized, high turn over rate company. My advice if you are an RN.....RUN!!!!
Very past passed great team enviorment enjoyed every moment of my stay
Good place to work learned a lot employed there for 7 years very fast passed worked on ADP payroll system processed payroll for approx. 36 different divisions with payroll of 3500 employees
Enroll, terminate and reconciled benefit worked with employees, vendors and Government Agencies Enjoyed my work as Payroll Administrator
Unable to Keep Managers
What a mess this company is in. I lost count of managers after 6. When outside sources purchased the company I seen numerous cutbacks which took away from the residents and thus making life at the village miserable. You either have to be in good with management or else they will make your life a living nightmare. Final straw is when they promoted a LPN to General Manager because they could not find anyone to come work for them as a GM.
Unorganised and unprofessional
I started working for Retirement Concepts and was hired to be reception. The GM at the time, admin coordinators and the managers had no clue what to train me on and would give me work without explanation or direction.

The on week two the new interim GM who was also the Community Relations Manager trained me whenever she had a moment and was really the one who had all the answers. No one else seemed to have a clue. She shared everything she possibly could and made sure I was comfortable in the position.

The hardest part of the job is the unprofessional Managers and staff who gossip about each other and dump blame on each other.

The best part of the job is the sweet seniors who just want a little help or to chat.
Apply at you own risk
Sweat shop with a revolving door! Turnover in payroll dept is very high, only people who were there for a while and get paid a fair wage are staying. And the manager’s friend who is the favourite and can do no wrong.
Management lacks leadership skills, is retaliating against employees for calling in sick, or for having an opinion. Management likes to gossip about their employees creating a poisonous work environment.

Company expects you to work overtime without paying. Applicants are misled in the interview process about being able to work flex time.

The list goes on...
Terrible pay and a revolving door of managers!
Pay rates are way below industry standards.
Heavy work loads and non existent breaks.

They cannot maintain staff it was literally a revolving door of positions that a company cannot afford to have revolving.

The only saving grace was the many wonderful residents and their families.
Stressful place to work
There are some very nice staff who work here, but there are also some who are not. The staff who work hard and are pleasant are wonderful to work with and always trying to laugh with the residents and make them smile. However, there is little teamwork within some of the departments and staff placing blame when they don’t know the truth. Overall I would not recommend applying, there are better places out there.
Corporate is despicable
This company does not "care" for their residents/patients, they process them. Their health and happiness is ignored as much as possible and the staff even more so. Even a good manager doesn't make a difference because corporate's soulless penny-pinching prevents them from being able to make any real change. They would fight a child for a nickel. It all led to being constantly understaffed, frequent injuries, and a hostile work environment. I've never been so miserable in my entire life. The money is absolutely not worth it.. Absolutely DO NOT work for this company!
Internal Growth Opportunities and Support
I have worked for Retirement Concepts for 5 years and I have been promoted 4 times. This company really believes in internal growth and supporting your goals and development . You are not micromanaged and able to get support when needed. I enjoy my tenure here and will continue to work here as the pay, benefits, work life balance are what works for me and my lifestyle.
Pros
Internal growth
Cons
Because it is a very large company it can seem a bit daunting when you first start
Dont Work There
Very toxic Chinese Ownership Can you Imagine A Real Gong Show Coworkers Complaining All the time take look how long Jobs are posted WonderingWhy????
It's okay, could better.
Interesting work environment, managent is bad, pay is low, long hours and no support but it's a job. Wouldn't recommend working here at all. Very much a thankless job.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Retirement Concepts. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8