Renfrew Educational Services

Renfrew Educational Services Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
Your experience here will vary wildly depending on the classroom team you are assigned to. Some teams work great together but many do not. There is a general culture of mistrust, judgement, gossip and frankly, a high-school like environment of cliques and mean girls. Be prepared to be criticized at every turn for every decision or call you make.

There are many amazing children to work with, however, it feels chronically understaffed and stressful with many extremely high-needs kids in small, overcrowded rooms. The noise level is unbearable at times.

Plus - It's a little demoralizing to walk into work everyday making barely over minimum wage, past a parking lot full of these the non-profit executives' Porches and BMWs. And be careful what you say, because they hire half their relatives to work here too. I question my decision every day to have spent the money I did on my own education to be certified to work here.

Some pros:

- Lots of time off (Summers, spring break, Christmas break)

- Decent benefits - Pay is low, but unfortunately not that different from similar positions at other organizations.

- Some great professionals to learn from (Psychologists, Speech Therapists, etc.)
This company claims to be against bullying, drama, and gossip among staff members but I found it to be the opposite. I did not feel welcome or appreciated here from day one and was constantly criticized for every reason imaginable. This workplace is not good for mental health and the majority of the people I worked with were very unfriendly and unapproachable. There is no eye contact, forced conversation, and whispers behind doors. I had high hopes of working here as teaching special education is my biggest passion; however, this job made something I love truly miserable. It has been one year since I left and I am still continuing to struggle from intrusive thoughts and continuing to relive the traumatic experiences I went through. I do believe certain people do enjoy working for this company, it just wasn't for me.
I have had an amazing experience with Renfrew. The staff and management are so kind and welcoming and offer all the support you need. The way the staff help these children with their development and the compassion they show towards them is incredible. The support they offer to families and the lengths they go to do so is immeasurable. A great place to work, really makes you feel like you are making a difference in your community. They have something called energize day, it is a paid day where staff from all Renfrew schools can choose to do different activities, such as the zoo, science centre, bike rides etc all covered by Renfrew. They also provide generous Christmas gifts, paid gift days, and commitment bonuses. They definitely go out of their way to ensure the staff knows how appreciated they are.
A great place to work where you feel valued, supported, and encouraged in your career. I quite enjoy working there and have felt very supported going from full-time to part-time.
Staff not happy with management and mangement not open to ideas and suggestions from students families and school employees.

Staff who work well together are often seperated to other classrooms without asking the teacher of the class whom should work with whom.

Teachers are not consulted about new hires
I worked in the Sundance location. They treat their staff terribly. I saw T.A's go to full time teaching just by sucking up to the admin.
Admin treats their staff terribly and they do NOT care about the kids. They do what they think makes them look better.

Terrible company. I feel sorry for parents who feel they have no choice but to send their kids there.
Good experience and children.
The schools are well ran and have good programming for children with autism.

Terrible management and no appreciation towards staff.
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
No appreciation toward staff.
Permanent staff there never used my name. Was referred to as the 'lunch lady' or 'her' or 'that lady over there. Had to go out of my way to get to know the staff. Thanks ladies.

Too many special needs kids cramped into rooms.

Staff were all unhappy, fake and came across mean, unhelpful, had borders/walls around getting to know them. Not personable at all. No one smiled. I couldn't tell if they were a teacher or a parent or a volunteer. Could be someone who walked off the street for all I knew.

Pay was minimum wage, wasn't worth it for me in gas to drive from one side of the town to the other. No benefits. No perks. Nothing.

Believe me when something bad happens, the staff are all over it, wanting to out do the other person, rat them out, get them fired, talk bad about them etc. and this all happens during school time while they are supposed to be concentrating on the kids.

I wouldn't want my kid here ever. Bad toxic environment.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Wonderful company with lots of room to grow. The people who work there and love it have been there for many years and are truely passionate about their work.
When I first started at Renfrew I loved the job. It was tough but my administration was supportive however after a couple of years it just went downhill. They overloaded the classrooms, cut staffing, and when anything negative happened they blamed the staff. There were too many kids with complex needs in small spaces and not enough time or assistance to properly meet their needs. I met some amazing people who loved working with kids, unfortunately most of those people left as well. It was one of the most depressing, stressful working experiences I’ve ever had.
Pros
I loved the students and their families. I made some wonderful friends.
Cons
No work life balance, low salary, no short term disability, little support
I love working with kids I really enjoyed the time work experience I made lots of new people and I hope one day I will be the a teacher and to read to kids
Pros
Honestly
Cons
18to 20
Renfrew is a wonderful place that supports children and their families. It is an ever changing environment with lots of supportive people. The main focus is of the students and their development. I enjoyed my time with this Organization.
Pros
buildung healthy and caring relationships with children and families.
By far the greatest thing about Renfrew is the amazing children you get to meet. Prepare for your misconceptions about autism to be blown away. Renfrew does amazing work with these kids and I have seen genuine growth of families.
Fantastic Job for stay at home moms or semi retired. I'm looking for a full time job that allows for more hours and pay. Love the people and the atmosphere, very family oriented, Great company to work for!
Pros
Too many to list
Cons
for me; not enough hours
picked up kids on my route and drove them to school and then would head for the other school for afternoon kids.
learned how to drive a bus and deal with special needs children.

management were great.

co- workers you had to be careful what you said and who you said it to.

the hardest part of my job was dealing with unruly parents

the best part about the job was the kids, they were the best part of the job!!
-I really enjoyed the time I spent working at renfrew
-My days where always busy but lots of fun

-management was easy to talk to

-co workers where always kind

-when having rough days with the kids you often go home wondering how you could have made it better

-building great bonds with children and helping them learn and grow.
Pros
summers off
Cons
tiring job
This is seriously the best place that I have ever worked in my life. The staff is very helpful, everyone gets along. You make friends really quick here. It's also very rewarding, as you are not just there to be with children with developmental difficulties, but you are there to help them reached set goals by a multidisiplinary team. I would stay here all my life if I could.
Pros
great people
Cons
need a car
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Renfrew Educational Services. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9