Ren's Pets

Ren's Pets Employee Reviews

Canada28 reviews
Avoid working here. Managment does not care. I worked a few shifts and ran for the hills because I was so uncomfortable. I am not one to normally have anxiety, but this job gave me just that. First day, read some papers and then throw on the floor, no training no telling me what to do. Was told to walk around. Second day same thing, walk around aimlessly. I felt awkward, unneeded and like I was wasting my time, so I ran for the hills!
Pros
Part time as heck! You will have a lot of personal free time thats for sure.
Cons
No training, awkward managers, rude staff, poorly managed.
Worked for two years as a warehouse associate. Over a year as a warehouse leadhand. Prepare yourself to be under paid, under appreciated & work in unsafe conditions.

I did my best to ensure I always go the job done. Have had to work over 12 hours multiple times due to an outdated Warehouse management system, to little or no gratitude.

The most toxic work culture I have ever experienced by far. I did my best to improve it to no avail. The company neglects to fire people who are well known to harass other associates.

Ren's should state they are an American owned company, not "Proudly Canadian" as they falsely state.

A sour taste in my mouth for sure.

Best look elsewhere for employment.
Pros
Working With Pet Products
Cons
Worst Logistics Imaginable, Toxic Workplace, Unsafe.
Worst job iv ever had! Manager always picking on people and always telling everyone they never did there job while they sat in there office playing candy crush on there phone! Everytime I walked into work I always felt like I was ganna get yelled at for something! Over all it's so bad there!
Pros
Pets
Cons
I have never worked for such an unprofessional company. The people who run it will ruin your life if you don’t comply with every little thing. Don’t expect encouragement, you won’t get it. Management and the head office will tear you down and pick you apart before they ever offer you praise or encouragement. The lack of respect and professionalism is astounding. I left so quickly and thank gosh I dis.
Pros
Customer, pets
Cons
Management, pay, head office
Ren's Oakville has a wonderful compliment of staff and managers who were kind enough to bring snacks to work on many occasions. It was fast-pased sometimes but the learning environment is very supportive and lead to a lot less stress on my part. Great place!
Unless you are one of the "chosen" ones ...watch your back. It's a bunch of clicky backstabbers that run this company. They will just push the knife deeper and deeper ...STAY AWAY. They work the store staff to the bone and don't care about them while head office staff gets to live the ladida life, leave early on Fridays and holidays etc... Ridiculous....
Working at Ren's is my favourite being around dogs all the time when people bring them in or even some cats and birds get brought in too and it is super fun getting to pet them and help customers find exactly what they need although it depends on the managers you're working with on your experience for the day.
I worked for Rens for over a year. I was happy in the beginning. I was offered a transfer to a new store where I was told I would be up for a promotion. After being there for a week the manager was replaced with a new one. A family member. He didn’t know anything & clearly had never worked in a management role prior. He was rude, ungrateful and had a my way or the highway attitude. He didn’t want to follow company protocol and made doing simple tasks difficult. I had reported bullying to him twice and was brushed off both times. When I went to the district manager about it she had never been informed of it. After working at the new store for a few months I was overwhelmed with stress & anxiety every day I had to work. I was constantly belittled and eventually I left. I DO NOT REGRET LEAVING! They always tell you you can advance fast if you work hard, well I worked my Butt off and was constantly lied to and manipulated. The manager was lazy and useless. I would never recommend working at Rens pets to anyone. I worked in 3 stores for them & each manager was the same. Not to mention, count out your break times because there’s never enough staff working.
Cons
No breaks. Bad management.
I worked there for 3 days and it was the most stressful job I ever had in my 15 year retail career
The lack of employees was astonishing in other words 2 employees all day

It's no wonder the store has no customers

Their product is extremely over priced if you get hired there ,be prepared to have the store ride on your shoulders no one will help you with anything, they are not transparent they will not tell you what to expect
Getting to work with dogs when they come in is the best but mangament sucks and they say there is growth within company but then when a position opens manager won't help you get it. This location is a joke very sad but true.
°Some Co-workers bully others and management doesn't do anything.

°Hours suck, Expect to do weekend and evening shifts.
Pros
Seeing all the animals, Knowing about the product's.
Cons
Mangerment, unconscious hours, Christmas Eve & boxing Day open when it's always slow, pay sucks and much more.
A lot of gossip and drama. Terrible management. There is no HR department to get help. Expect to be lied to constantly. Expect to be overlooked if you perform well and have great experience. This company is all about their bottom line not what makes customers and staff happy.
Hours are terrible and they keep hiring more people anyway. There is a lot of turn over.

Awful experience over all.

Beware
Worked with a lot of females that loved to gossip.
Most immature work place I have ever worked for.

Fun meeting some people but some were just plain rude.

Management pressures staff with so much work with only 2-3 workers working and it did not make sense.
Pros
ok discounts for my cat food and litter
Cons
tiresome shifts, underpaid, toxic culture
Management is awful!
Some customer orders took months to arrive, staff on the floor get blamed for warehouse/ head office not sending proper products on time.

Everyone LOVED playing the blame game in this company. Nobody was ever responsible for anything that went wrong.

They overwork you without the proper pay. My manager liked to cut off lunch even if you were forced not to take it because of all the tasks that needed to get done. Sometimes would not even be granted my paid breaks. They surely do care for the pets, but clearly not for the staff.
Pros
nothing
Cons
all of it
They really take the time to set up training with vendors so the employees have the most current and up todate information.
Not a place to just push product on customers really encourage employes to engage with and find solutions for customers. All in all a fun place to work !

Their passion for helping the community and local charities is a plus!

Ne prepared to wear many "hats".
Pros
Room for advancement, puppy snuggles, allowed to be creative with merchandising
Cons
Cleaning up dog waste, pay could be higher
Work life is well structured. Learned numerous product information. Management always ran accordingly. Workplace culture had regular customers. Surrounded by positivity.
Pros
Product information Seminars
Cons
Long stretched hours
Expect to work long hours with no compensation and if you refuse expect to be looked over for any advancement. Top management is unprofessional. Owned by US company now.
Pros
Seeing all the pets.
Cons
My coworkers were amazing, the actual job itself was amazing, but the manager at the time was incapable of doing her job. I know they now have a new manager that I've heard is amazing.
Pros
Pet food and product discounts
Cons
bad management at the time
Enjoyed the team. Truly believe that they are great at what they do. No HR department when I was there. Complaints not heard. The best part was Christmas parties and free lunches!
Love working with staff and the clientele that comes in. Helping make a difference in the four legged family's life. best part of the day is the snuggles
The best part of working for this company is the coworkers you will have, who will not be around long due to a high turn over rate. Between resignations and terminations, expect to meet a lot of new faces monthly and beware of the three strike policy, as it doesn't exist. Promotions are not given, pay raises are rare- even after years, and new employees often make more than seasoned employees due to their charisma within the initial interview. New ideas go unappreciated despite the claim to wanting to be innovative.
Pros
Monthly voucher for dog food, great coworkers, occasional free lunches
Cons
No raises, no dental, high turn over, below average pay
Driven by targets and don't consider the employees' best interests. With the minimum wage increase they have cut back on hours and the shifts feel understaffed.