Ren's Pets

Ren's Pets Employee Reviews

Not a bad job but..

It wasn't a bad job to work at If you like animals, but the lack of scheduling other employees made it hard to earn income so I had to get a second job and when they found out they waited a day before my 3 month probation to fire me for not being a good fit. Went a while without a manager and Barley answers your texts outside of work when we got one. The employees were nice people to work with but needs improvement on schedules if they decide to hire new people.

Pros

20 off pet stuff, half an hour lunches

Cons

Not alot of hours.

Quitting Managers and Not Jobs

Working at Ren's was an amazing experience as far as the daily tasks, customers, and some coworkers go. However, this was the upmost unprofessional experience I've ever had at a job. The manager fuels a toxic work environment through gossiping and petty behavior that interferes with your daily personal life. Simple time off requests turn into drama and petty refusals no matter how much notice you give. Constantly threatening employees in staff-wide emails makes for constant anxiety. Would've been an amazing work experience had it not been for management.

Pros

Cute animals, customers

Cons

Management, Short breaks for hours worked

Psycho manager

Horrible working here at the Hamilton location. Manager is two-faced. Will usually say you are an amazing worker and then you find out from other coworkers that they downgraded you behind your back. One of the worst managers I ever had by far and very fake! You can't just come into work and have a normal day there's too many twists and turns from the managers crazy personality... makes it hard to just go about your day. Ren's Pets overall really fun to work here, unfortunately completely ruined by management.

Pros

Cute animals, Usually nice people at this location, etc.

Cons

The manager...

Horrible work enviroment

Just all around a bad place to work at. Almost no training was given and the training that was provided was minimal at best. The only positive thing about working here was it motivated me to find a new job.

Pros

Cons

Lack of proper training

What a joke

I worked at this company for two years, and met a myriad of wonderful people, hence the two stars in job culture. However, management is a joke, and head office treats employees like they are disposable. 80% of the people I worked with didn't stay longer than three months, it's just that bad. There's hardly any room for salary improvement, and there's no employee benefits, no matter how long you stay. I was let go without reason with bare minimum severance pay. What a joke.

Pros

Most of my coworkers were fun, and I got to see cute animals

Cons

Horrible management, short breaks for the amount of hours worked, employees are treated as disposable, toxicity within the company

Good but bad

Lots of dogs fun place to work but chaos always running around, getting yelled at to do this and that constantly on your butt about everything Promises advancement never acts upon it advances other employees,harrassment by managers and the odd coworker, shift changes every week with out permission-so bad it would be the shift your currently on the floor for or the next day without telling you- so your getting ready to go home and they tell you your staying for another hour.Bullied for getting covid Benefits are good/good bonuses

Pros

Bonus

Cons

Work and life ballence is non existant, severly underpaid for the amount of work

Working here was amazing! I only left because of another job offer and couldn’t balance both at once! The staff was so friendly and fun to work with! Manager was also super friendly and easy going! The job itself was also great other then the usual heavy lifting! All together from seeing cute dogs all day,amazing hours,friendly staff this job has been by far my favourite! I also got the chance to learn a lot about pet nutrition,basic care,grooming..it’s helped a lot!

Pros

Staff discount, great people to work with, cute dogs

Cons

Heavy lifting

Good customers, backstabbing staff

Starting in the pandemic was hard enough but trying to learn the whole store and company while handling the pandemic was stressful to say the least. You were not set up for success. And the team I came to was already broken and had their own agendas that I had to struggle with. They are back stabbers and selfish specifically at the Aurora location and now the most unsuitable and selfish is the manager. For the very few good people there (as in 2 of them) I hope you find better.

Pros

Great Customers

Cons

Back stabbing staff that get rewarded

Decent place to work but not great management

Not a lot of room for company advancement or increase of pay, even if you have worked there for a significant time. Really fun interacting with customers and pets. Management was not the best.

Pros

Nice customers

Cons

Fun Workplace if your willing to put in hours

I worked at Rens for exactly a year and it definitely had some ups and downs but it was overall a great place to work. I've seen some other reviews and feel like I need to give the flip side because they seem biased. Rens is a very face paced environment and is super accommodating. I've never been questioned as to why I had to call in or was sick because I showed genuine effort at work. The managers never "abused my time" and if I said I couldn't cover so and so shift they were fine and always went the extra mile to try and get my shift covered when needed. Because our location was busy they evaluate your performance and put you on tasks that you will excel at, if they notice something is not your strong suit then they don't tend to put on certain positions which I find amazing.

Pros

fast paced, cute animals, always willing to help one another

Cons

sometimes they hired people who were not fit for the job which made it hard to work

Higher management doesnt care about their staff

Pay is absolutely ridiculous for such a big box store. Managers get so underpaid. The benefits barely cover anything. The work stress and pressure is not healthy.

Pros

Meet amazing people within store

Cons

People at head office could care less about store employees

Overworked underpaid

Very clique like environment, everyone who knows someone, will help them get away with anything. Don’t be sick because that gives them a reason to question you for your performance. Don’t offer extra hours out of kindness because they will begin to abuse your time. And make sure they set up a staff account for your discount or else you loose all those points to other employees. Not a great place to work. Disrespectful, rude managers who make assumptions based on little evidence.

Pros

Discounts, if you want to slack off they will let you.

Cons

Long hours, underpaid for amount of work

Don't Watse your Time

Don't waste your time with this company. They work you hard for nothing. Treat employee like dirt. You work your way to the top and still get paid bad wage and treated like your nothing with extra long hours. Head office doesn't care about sales associate or team leads only mangers and thats still disrespectful too. Discount isn't great anymore either they took it down. Wasted 5 years with the company being told that ill be moving up in the company and they refused to give me anything higher then team lead even though i was promised. Then moved to another store and got treated poorly by the ASM and Mangers and part timers, Head office refused to do anything about it.

Pros

Animals - Other then that nothing.

Cons

Long Hours, Disrespectful, Bad wage, Stressful, Discounts

Decent work environment, no life balance, poor benefits/wage, and toxic workers

Head office culture is alright, but overall avoid this place. Poor benefits/wage, poor work life balance, expect to be always looked over, and toxic management, both in work style and in leadership. Dont expect help as you won't get it, and you'll be expected to know how to do everything. If you don't then you'll get in trouble with your manager.

Pros

Pet food voucher, events, benefits

Cons

No life balance, poor wage, toxic management

Fun place to work

You get to see all the happy animals coming in always excited to see you. The staff are a great team and you learn a lot with the lunch and learns offered from other companies

Pros

Lunch and learns, staff

Cons

Working holidays

Most uncomfortbable experience of my entire life!

Avoid working here. Managment does not care. I worked a few shifts and ran for the hills because I was so uncomfortable. I am not one to normally have anxiety, but this job gave me just that. First day, read some papers and then throw on the floor, no training no telling me what to do. Was told to walk around. Second day same thing, walk around aimlessly. I felt awkward, unneeded and like I was wasting my time, so I ran for the hills!

Pros

Part time as heck! You will have a lot of personal free time thats for sure.

Cons

No training, awkward managers, rude staff, poorly managed.

Incompetent Management Oudated Logistics

Worked for two years as a warehouse associate. Over a year as a warehouse leadhand. Prepare yourself to be under paid, under appreciated & work in unsafe conditions. I did my best to ensure I always go the job done. Have had to work over 12 hours multiple times due to an outdated Warehouse management system, to little or no gratitude. The most toxic work culture I have ever experienced by far. I did my best to improve it to no avail. The company neglects to fire people who are well known to harass other associates. Ren's should state they are an American owned company, not "Proudly Canadian" as they falsely state. A sour taste in my mouth for sure. Best look elsewhere for employment.

Pros

Working With Pet Products

Cons

Worst Logistics Imaginable, Toxic Workplace, Unsafe.

Management is so bad!

Worst job iv ever had! Manager always picking on people and always telling everyone they never did there job while they sat in there office playing candy crush on there phone! Everytime I walked into work I always felt like I was ganna get yelled at for something! Over all it's so bad there!

Pros

Pets

Horrible Company to work for

I have never worked for such an unprofessional company. The people who run it will ruin your life if you don’t comply with every little thing. Don’t expect encouragement, you won’t get it. Management and the head office will tear you down and pick you apart before they ever offer you praise or encouragement. The lack of respect and professionalism is astounding. I left so quickly and thank gosh I dis.

Pros

Customer, pets

Cons

Management, pay, head office

Fun and Snacks!

Ren's Oakville has a wonderful compliment of staff and managers who were kind enough to bring snacks to work on many occasions. It was fast-pased sometimes but the learning environment is very supportive and lead to a lot less stress on my part. Great place!

Don't work here!

Unless you are one of the "chosen" ones ...watch your back. It's a bunch of clicky backstabbers that run this company. They will just push the knife deeper and deeper ...STAY AWAY. They work the store staff to the bone and don't care about them while head office staff gets to live the ladida life, leave early on Fridays and holidays etc... Ridiculous....

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ren's Pets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4