RELIANCE HOME COMFORT logo
RELIANCE HOME COMFORT

RELIANCE HOME COMFORT Employee Reviews for Installer

Water heater installer

You work 3 shifts as a water heater installer at Reliance. Days....afternnons...weekends. like 3 weekends a month sometimes. Pay isn't great. Its task rate. So if you get a complicated long install you are in the customers basement sometimes all 8 hours of your shift with very little help from other coworkers. Everything is micro managed to death here. And your constantly hounded for sales leads. And when you don't get them they send you emails every single day showing that you are in the red comparing to other coworkers numbers. So you are constantly reviewed every single hour every day!

Pros

Freedom of working alone.

Cons

you work alone with very little help.

Leads leads leads

Before starting my position as a water heater installer I read all the reviews about working for Reliance. There seemed to be a pattern of the same things being said about how bad it was to work there. I decided to take the job offer and develop my own opinion. It took six months for me to realize that all the negative reviews were accurate. Poor management was a big factor in why I left. At Reliance you are not a gas tech, you’re a salesman. Constant emails about not hitting your numbers. To get ahead you need good leads as being a good technician is not good enough. The team of guys were great to work with and that’s one good thing I can say about this job. If you are considering working as water heater tech for this company please do you research and ask management to be truthful about sales expectations. This company is a numbers game and if you can’t play the game you’ll be very unhappy here.

Great techs to work with

Its an amazing place to learn and find your way as a young technician. Senior techs seem to be doing pretty well. Its a big company which puts some people off but with in the company there's a lot of people working to help customers and help each other with jobs and problems. Good support group with everyone constantly learning off of each other.

14 March 2021
Thank you for the review! We are so happy that you are enjoying your time at Reliance and are having a positive experience.

Toxic culture forced by management. Don't do it

Service and quality of work comes second to sales and numbers. Will be told to trick and lie to customers and use previously used equipment in people's houses. You are a employee # and nothing else.

Pros

Tools

Cons

Culture and questionable work practice

24 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide this review. This is taken very seriously and being reviewed internally. We appreciate the feedback.

Terrible "Task rate" job

Your paid per job so they expect you to hack in installs as quick as possible wile moving threw service calls and upsell every customer on equipment they dont really need instead of focusing on the customers problem they called in for. Prioritize sales leads instead of doing quality work and putting the customers first.

Pros

Free lunches

24 March 2021
Thank you for providing a review. We regret that this was your experience and appreciate the comments. We wish you the best in your future employment.

Management is super stressful

I started at Reliance as a Water Heater Installer and was excited about my opportunity to work for a seemingly solid Company. The job offers benefits and an hourly wage of $21/h which is quite low by industry standards, Sales a pushed down your throat by management and there are hours upon hours of training where I was sent almost 2 hours away for what they called boot camp. I did not like my mentor who I was training under and was told that I would be thrown to the lions once out on my own with little to no help from anyone else. Not a good introduction to the field IMO. A ton of responsability for little reward.

Benefits

Cons

Stressful Environment

Poor atmosphere

This is where trades go to die. They are not going to train you. They are not going build you up. You will NOT feel secure for one minute of you employment. They are not interested in your personal development. Your only job is to get a sales representative in the door. They take your hard earned money and delivery some of the worst service you could possibly imagine. DON’T WORK HERE.

Pros

They hire new grades out of school

Cons

Culture, Hours, Management, Training, Pay.

The worst

Use this company purely as a stepping stone. Constant micromangement, low task rate wages, and never ending hounding of sales will grind away any motivation or happiness you once had. Techs are paid abysmally while upper management (who don't have any industry experience) and sales people pull in six figure salaries (and bonuses!). The work is also extremely physical, so many techs were injured on the job or have had surgery for their back or knees. No way to move up unless you have good sales numbers, nobody knows if youre a good technician because management usually don't have any trade experience. Reliance's "Canada's most admired companies"label is basically a farce as the sycophants in managment can just self nominate the company and they will receive the award. Its one of the most toxic companies you will ever work for.

Pros

Great if youre into sadomasochism

Terrible management

I remember I volunteered to work overtime on a weekend when I was off and at the end of the day I was told I was useless and should’ve stayed home sorry for doing you a favour. I wish I could use some other language on here for those managers.

Reliance is not for a person looking to learn grow and advance their career

This place has amazing , skilled and intelligent trades workers. However management is very much lacking in all those aspects. The organization, communication and overall workplace moral is garbage. They expect too much for what they are willing to compensate for. Overall I would not recommend to work here.

Pros

Great co workers

Cons

Everything else

Jobs at RELIANCE HOME COMFORT

Installer positions
See more jobs

Terrible environment to work in

Completely sales driven, you're not a technician your salesman everyday you're getting in trouble for something, you stepped left you got shot in the foot you step right you get shot in the foot. This is not just my experience this is every technician that's ever work there experience.

Pros

Cons

Pay trimmed. If you work at Reliance always watch to see if your pay trimmed

Management very stressful

Reliance does not have enough workers to supply their installers and help supply their installers to succeed at their job they need more runners and less pressure from bosses

A HVAC company run by sales people with no experience in the trade.

Work for reliance if you do not want to advance your career or gain experience. They force you to sell and push surveys instead of actually fixing the issues you are sent out for. Terrible company to work for.

Completely sales driven

They don't measure how good you are at your job, only care about sales. I consistently get great reviews from customers and work late almost every day but every time I speak to management they tell me that I need more sales or I won't be able to advance at the company. Promotions are entirely driven by sales. I've seen presentations that say "why did you fix that? Submit the lead". Management also encouraged us to sign customers up for service plans without telling them.

Pros

Union, hard to get fired

Cons

Really bad corporate culture and sales pressure

Terrible

Don't fix just sell. Management literally said that. Managers will screw you over to benefit themselves. There is a lot of great techs though so it's sad that they get a bad rep.

Pros

Free lunches every now and then

Cons

Being an employee for a garbage company

You'll always have a pay day but work is repetative

A typical day is common here, you show up hangout a bit then another days work. The people are great to work with and chat with but workmanship isn't always stellar. Management isn't much help unless it involves buying something to help. You learn what you need to for your job but until you move positions somewhere you don't need to learn more than you know. sell sell sell!

Pros

Locations across Canada, wealthy company

Cons

push for sales, repetitive work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RELIANCE HOME COMFORT. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement