Reitmans (Canada) Ltd Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 October 2018
Fun place to work at and the Management will support you with a good Training, pay a less salary for the amount of work you get done there, other than that nothing to complain about the job
Pros
good Environment to work
Cons
Less Salary
loved working at reitmans
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL10 October 2018
I loved working at reitmans. really nice people and really nice other employees. overall the work was good. I worked on cash, cleaned the store and talked to customers and helped them find what they were looking for.
Pros
worked with really nice people
Cons
always talking to customers. i prefer more hands on work. cooking or baking, cleaning or working on cash.
Boring and Unfair
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 October 2018
Management is very greedy, hours constantly get cut by the head office for not reaching the unrealistic sales targets, management cheat their way in many ways.
Excellant workplace culture
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON9 October 2018
Always room for growth. Upper management were approachable and respected your opinions. Training was provided from Human Resources throughout my years with Reitmans Ltd. Respect for staff and customers were important to them.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
Could be long hours depending on position and season
productive and very good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC28 September 2018
amazing for someone getting their first retail job its slower paced but the training program is great. everyone is really kind and they are very productive and helpful.
better management
Team lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2018
Had to ask for a transfer because the manager was discussing my medical condition i expressed to her as a reason of missing work with another coworker
Productive work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB12 September 2018
I liked working at Reitmans
The staff was very nice an always willing to help
There’s 50% discount on regular price items
Not a lot of storage for stuff
Small lunch room
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not enough hours/ have to wear reitmans Clothing every shift
Fast paced and demanding work environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL12 September 2018
Top performance is expected. Upper management holds you accountable for any sales lost and you can be written up or dismissed if you fall behind. Sales staff are wonderful, management are burnt out.
Environnement de travail très agréable
Vendeuse, caissière (Former Employee) –  Saint-Hubert, QC29 August 2018
les employé sont toujours de bonne humeur et dévoués pour rendre les clients satisfait
good place to work with amazing coworkers
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON14 August 2018
a typical day at work would involve helping all customers when they are there. replenishing the stock when traffic is down. hardest part would be dealing with unhappy customers but we can always work it out.
Pros
get a discount on product
Cons
not to many hours
Prefer not to comment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON12 August 2018
Opening the store setting goals for the day!
scheduling sales associates for the day and evening shifts
DSM not all supportive
valved theirs company
Having to leave for personal reasons
Enjoyed working with my staff and our customers
Pros
prefer not to say
Cons
prefer not to comment
Horrible
Conseillère mode (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC4 August 2018
Il y a beacoup de favoritisme au sein de l’équipe par exemple je n’avais pas d’heures par ce que j’étais nouvelle, mais une autre nouvelle obtiens plus d’heures que moi ok? Je suis étudiante et je dois acheter des vetement a chaque fois qu’il y a une nouvelle collection alors que je n’ai pas d’heures et donc pas d’argent pour les acheter!! Il y a trop d’exigence face au service a la clientele j’ai l’impression d’agresser les clientes tellement on me pousse a aller les voir a chaque 2 secondes et apres on se demande pourquoi elles sont pas fines
Pros
Souvent vide
Cons
Atmosphere de travail
Good for Part time.
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 July 2018
Good place for a student to work part time.

Working full time with any title above sales associate, your job is never safe. They move employees around from store to store, and if you do not wish to switch locations (maybe its too far from home) then you will never be offered another promotion through the company.

Often when employees leave, they do not rush to fill the position and others are expected to do the extra work with out any extra compensation. This goes on for extended periods of time and wears out the staff mentally and physically.

Unfortunately, they have a program that sets unrealistic sales goals (ei: Goal of $5000 for the day and you might only have 25 customers that day) and if you fail to reach the sales goal, you are reprimanded and in ongoing cases, let go.

Their benefits are decent, however it can take a very long time to get them.
Good and bad experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON29 July 2018
Manager sucks but employees are the sweetest. Alot of new people coming in and leaving fast. Manger is demanding and rude as she only cared about being on the phone all the time
Environnement productif et agreable
Commis/Caissière (Former Employee) –  Tracadie-Sheila, NB27 July 2018
J'ai aimé travailler pour cette entreprise, heure flexible belle ambiance etc...
Productive and fun work environment
Fashion Associate (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON23 July 2018
Working at Reitmans helped me get a sense of the fashion world, and what was in and was was fading out. I would help women of all ages find their style and sizes that worked fro them and their body type. I learned so much working their, and it helped my own wardrobe grow.
Pros
Discounted on clothes
Cons
Have to wear their cloths and stay on tope of each season
Great job for a high school student!
Fashion Associate/ Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Bay Roberts, NL21 July 2018
I've worked here for over two years during high school and going into university and absolutely love it. It is the perfect part time job for a confident and bubbly girl who enjoys fashion. It's a friendly fast paced environment with staff and other coworkers who encourage you to succeed. I started off as a seasonal part time employee and was kept on as part time throughout the school year and quickly worked up to being a key holder.I'm also our stores Hyba Product Pro and Accessory Product Pro. I liked that there was room for advancement if you were skilled and excelled in your position. My favourite part is having my own segments as I love reaching a target and getting praise from my manager for it. It was a real motivator. I would like to see more employee contests, or recognition for associates who go above and beyond. at my store I was given very flexible hours and they understood when I was and wasn't available. One downside is that shifts could be cut last minute as in just hours before they start if the store isn't performing well that day. I would defiantly recommend any young girl looking for a first job to apply here as it was a great experience for me!
Pros
Employee discount, flexible hours, positive enviroment
Cons
Needing to purchase new clothes frequently
depends on where you work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB17 July 2018
great place to work depending on team. Very empowering for all women. gives you a sense f appreciation for all sizes. Managers work in teams alot, with other members of store.
Pros
team effort
Cons
regional managers are too demanding
Friendly & professional
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 July 2018
It was a good place to work. The manager at the time was very good about scheduling and making sure the compromise in the schedule was good for both the company and employees working there. Very professional and friendly environment!
My advice: Please stay away from this company!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 July 2018
A typical day at the store as a Fashion Associate consists of running around the store while management sits on the phone to gossip, or running around while they constantly check the status and numbers of the other stores on the computer.

Become exhausted by putting clothes back, dealing with old and outdated technology and taking the role of a manager while they are constantly absent. Also processing a lot of returns from online and other stores is a large chunk of your time at the cash desk, following this you will get penalized if you were unable to flip to return into an exchange. This deducts out of the SFL's (management's) segment which is now for some reason your issue.

Constant sales changing every day or every week cause the consumer to never purchase regular price which makes it VERY difficult to reach any sales goal as they just "wait" for it to go on promotion. Customers also come in upset when they've just purchased an item and it's now on promotion the next day- further causing them to wait for a sale when they see something they like. Reitmans does offer a 14 day price adjustment policy if you go in store but this almost never flips their mind, causing them to just re order the now cheaper items online and return the regular priced to the store- leaving us with no profit.

Management is in need of a wake up call! They do not see their hard working staff as people with feelings. We are there to benefit them and that is that. They make you wait for your break until an hour before your shift is finished (where you feel as if you are going
  more... to pass out or gnaw on your fingers) and they are so quick to cut your hours when things aren't going in their favor. I understand this is a business but it's almost borderline abuse.

In conclusion, Reitmans needs to get itself together and figure things out. Too many loopholes for customers to abuse the system and we are far too accommodating to customers when THEY are not following the rules.This company expects you to preform miracles. Please understand this is just my personal experience at the location I am employed, however unfortunately when speaking to other stores in the district I know this is the case almost everywhere.
Pros
50% off all regular priced merchandise
Cons
Management, outdated technology, hours, quality of product

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Reitmans (Canada) Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.