Reitmans (Canada) Ltd Employee Reviews

Good for Part time.
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 July 2018
Good place for a student to work part time.

Working full time with any title above sales associate, your job is never safe. They move employees around from store to store, and if you do not wish to switch locations (maybe its too far from home) then you will never be offered another promotion through the company.

Often when employees leave, they do not rush to fill the position and others are expected to do the extra work with out any extra compensation. This goes on for extended periods of time and wears out the staff mentally and physically.

Unfortunately, they have a program that sets unrealistic sales goals (ei: Goal of $5000 for the day and you might only have 25 customers that day) and if you fail to reach the sales goal, you are reprimanded and in ongoing cases, let go.

Their benefits are decent, however it can take a very long time to get them.
Productive and fun enviornment
FASHION ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2019
Good work environment. Team oriented. Are able to be flexible with availability. Good benefits and great employee discount in stores.working environment is very relaxed.
coworkers are nice and friendly.
Fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 October 2018
Fun place to work at and the Management will support you with a good Training, pay a less salary for the amount of work you get done there, other than that nothing to complain about the job
Pros
good Environment to work
Cons
Less Salary
Great job for a high school student!
Fashion Associate/ Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Bay Roberts, NL21 July 2018
I've worked here for over two years during high school and going into university and absolutely love it. It is the perfect part time job for a confident and bubbly girl who enjoys fashion. It's a friendly fast paced environment with staff and other coworkers who encourage you to succeed. I started off as a seasonal part time employee and was kept on as part time throughout the school year and quickly worked up to being a key holder.I'm also our stores Hyba Product Pro and Accessory Product Pro. I liked that there was room for advancement if you were skilled and excelled in your position. My favourite part is having my own segments as I love reaching a target and getting praise from my manager for it. It was a real motivator. I would like to see more employee contests, or recognition for associates who go above and beyond. at my store I was given very flexible hours and they understood when I was and wasn't available. One downside is that shifts could be cut last minute as in just hours before they start if the store isn't performing well that day. I would defiantly recommend any young girl looking for a first job to apply here as it was a great experience for me!
Pros
Employee discount, flexible hours, positive enviroment
Cons
Needing to purchase new clothes frequently
Expect lots of work and no recognition
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  BC10 February 2019
work hard and do not get credit for it. Tones of micro managing in upper management and only give you a promotion when you are about to leave. Never able to take a sick day because there is never enough employees
Loved it
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON11 February 2019
Overall a great company to work for. Not only was management great at the time I worked there, the coworkers were amazing. I was only 16 at the time of hire and within months I was promoted to key holder. I take all those things I learned from that job with me to wherever I go now. I will forever remember my amazing manager and her inspirational training techniques and ability to make work a fun place for everyone.
Pros
Management, room for improvement/advancement, fun work environment, get to dress up at work
Cons
I have nothing bad to say
It was a decent job with good ideals
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 July 2018
Reitmans was fun to work at on the busy days. Interacting with all kinds of customers was the highlight of your day. The company had a lot of group goals you had to complete and that was challenging some days especially when it was dead. Managers treat you good and fair.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
No benefits, hours aren't flexible
5 years part time
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 April 2018
I have worked at Reitmans for almost five years, I have found it to be a rewarding and challenging job at times. There are many benefits in terms of building relationships and gaining skills, but there are always flaws as with any company. I do recommend Reitmans as a company for anyone looking for Part-Time employment for temporary need. I don't recommend for a long term career.
Pros
networking, laid back, skill improvement.
Cons
little room to move up, stressful during holiday times, some communication issues within the company.
Excellant workplace culture
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON9 October 2018
Always room for growth. Upper management were approachable and respected your opinions. Training was provided from Human Resources throughout my years with Reitmans Ltd. Respect for staff and customers were important to them.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
Could be long hours depending on position and season
Do not value employee commitment
Store Manager, (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador19 December 2018
upper management not interest in challenges facing store level employees.
There is no one to help resolve issues with direct supervisors.
work life balance is not good
Company promotes growth, but hours are long and inconsistent
Sales Floor Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 February 2018
One of the best companies I've worked for. I have moved up multiple times in the company, and they give their staff lots of opportunities for growth. They also have bonus programs in place for part-time employees, as well as compensation programs for part-time employees to encourage loyalty and longevity. However, as with any retail position, the hours are long and inconsistent.
Pros
Employee discount, job advancement
Cons
Inconsistent hours
La pire expérience de ma vie
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Québec City, QC26 December 2018
Beaucoup de stress, aucune organisation.
J'ai était embaucher en temps que chef d'équipe, après 1 mois j'ai fait une mini formation dans un autres magasins qui c'est très bien déroulée . Mais je suis tombée dans le pire magasins! Personnes pour écouter les employé et l'équipe changer tout le temps et je comprend pourquoi ! Le salaire n'est pas correcte pour tout se que l'entreprise demande ! C'est la pire expérience de ma vie et je ne regrette pas du tout d'être partie ! C'est la première fois qu'on me traitée aussi mal ! Je recommande pas cette entreprise.
Pros
Rabais employé, assurance maladie
Cons
Organisation, pas a l'écoute des employés, salaire, directions
It is a well organized company
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 February 2019
It is very good for me working with the company.
Free parking, free coffee.
A lot of overtime.
Well organized management with professional leaders.
Pros
Free coffee
Enjoyable Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 November 2018
This was a good job, but it wasn't solid. I was a good worker and was offered management at one point because I had been around so long, but I turned it down because I couldn't fit the hours with University. As a result I almost never worked because they didn't have hours to give. They expect you to wear current products at all times, which costs a lot even with the discount if you're buying a new outfit(s) every three months.
One of the Worst Places I have EVER worked
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary4 November 2018
I was employed by the Addition Elle store in Calgary. I found the store was terribly understaffed and morale was in the toilet. The customers were great and i felt bad that they had to endure such poor service due to lack of hours. There was a revolving door of managers who could not take the bullying of the DSM. Apparently i hear the store is closing down. Not at all surprising to me. Retail stores must be great at all levels to survive the retail landscape of today.
Pros
Close to Home
Cons
Terrible working conditions
Environnement de travail horrible
Gerante adjointe (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 October 2018
Aucun soutien , les supérieurs tentent de faire partir les femmes en retour de congé de maternité , on coupe sans cesse les heures tout en augmentant les attentes , on coupe dans le service et après on nous demande pourquoi on vend moins. Les employés qui travaillent depuis plus longtemps pour la compagnie sont mises de coté ou en tente carrément de les faire partir . Bref je me recommande absolument pas cette compagnie
Pros
Aucun
Cons
Faible salaire, environnement de travail sterssant, attentes irealistes, quantite de travail absurde
Loved working with these ladies
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 January 2019
Probably the greatest group of ladies I have ever worked with. Always high energy and never a dull moment.

Management always tried to ensure a positive environment and made weekly outings a priority for team building.
fun workplace
Fashion Sales Associate- Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON15 October 2018
Fun workplace, great team. Management understands and aims to meet the needs of staff members. The culture is fun. Everyone knows their role, and we work as a team to achieve our goals. However many negative corporate changes.
I enjoyed the team work of the staff.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 June 2018
I enjoyed working at REITMAN'S It was a change of pace from being in a school environment. A typical evening varied from very busy to slow. I learned how to listen to customers, to help them find what they were looking for. The hardest part of the job was adapting to new management. I really enjoyed the people I worked with and the atmosphere of the smaller retail outlet
Pros
The wages were competitive and the price discounts were awesome
Cons
You were required to wear current merchandise. This meant new clothes every 6 - 10 weeks
Positive work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC1 January 2019
Great environment and customers!! Upper management is fantastic and holds you accountable for your position. Thyme is a smaller part of thr Reitmans family and you really get a chance to be heard from VP and up!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Reitmans (Canada) Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.