Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo Employee Reviews

Great schedule and salary. Horrible upper management.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 April 2019
The upper management at the RMWB is the worst of anywhere I have ever worked. They treat their staff horribly. If you are not a yes man you will not advance. Morale is awful. The staff are treated badly and it shows. Even with the good schedule and decent salary I would never, ever work there again.
Pros
Schedule, salary
Cons
Management, poor morale, treatment of staff, no opportunity to advance
PULSE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, AB1 April 2019
Loved working as a Pulse Operator within the Communications & Stakeholders Relations department. The atmosphere and the team, including management, are wonderful to work with.
Work life balanced working environment
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 October 2018
I have worked for four years with Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo;Have enjoyed work with the finance team as a financial Analyst.My client departments were Planning and Development, Economic Development and Land Administration;overall positive experience.
Pros
Work environment and supervisors were really good.
Short term position, good salary and was able to get out and meet new people.
Field Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 September 2018
I enjoyed working with the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo as Field Coordinator. Even though it was only for a short term, I had the opportunity to manage and supervise many enumerators of different ethnic groups. A typical day of work entailed contacting and meeting with the enumerators; encouraging them and providing assistance with difficult situations.

It was a very fast paced environment as we were working on a short deadline and had to meet our target of ensuring that all designated areas of the community were fully enumerated.

The hardest part of the job was contacting the enumerators that were not performing and trying to encourage them to meet their targets.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with the staff and meeting new people.
Great compensation, poor culture
Social Planning Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 June 2018
Great total compensation program for non-unionized employees. Very poor organization culture. Oftentimes management is in pursuit of individual interests over public interest.

Current Municipal Council and CAO are working hard to rid the organization of the culture of waste, nepotism, low productivity, etc. They need all the support they can get, although their decisions may not be popular to those who stand to lose.
A work environment where you become an integral part of the team very quickly.
PARKS & RECREATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 April 2018
Working for the RMWB allowed me to have a very diverse career in my field of education. I was rewarded for my successes, encouraged to take training pertinent to my career position, and felt welcome at all times.
was good
Apprentice Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 January 2018
worked there as a RAP apprentice when i was still in high school learned some of my first things of construction there lots friendly people there was good place to learn
Management Needs Work
finance (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 December 2017
Management and Culture is bad to work with. Senior levels are good, but directors and managers make the culture not good to work in.

CAO is trying to change for the better but the favoritism of the few leads the hard workers to never succeed.
Changing Culture
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, AB4 December 2017
What is great about the RMWB is also its worst trait - an always changing senior leadership and council, which can result conflicting priorities and lack of continuity. Also, as I suppose in many government organizations, performance is not really measured by actual results, but rather how much your boss actually likes you.
Pros
All pros have been taken away
Cons
Lack of strategic continuity and lack of transparancy
The rmwb
Network Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 November 2017
An always changing environment. It is hard to focus on senior management direction, as typically directors change on average in 18 months.
Benefits and salaries are competitive with the industry and the work in in-town.
However the environment is extremely political - of course, this is dependent on department.
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
Extremely political
Finance (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 August 2017
The pay is above average, unfortunately very little culture or opportunity for growth. employees are not motivated, and there is a huge disconnect between upper management and its employees
Pros
hours, benefits
Cons
little investment in personal or career advancement, poor morale
Rmwb
Manager, Creative Solutions (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 July 2017
I enjoyed working with my colleagues at the RMWB.

Did not expect to be made redundant and still don't believe it made operational sense.

Would have wished to finish my career there.
Pros
The People
Cons
Some of the decisions made at a senior level
Fun place to work and a good group of employees
Senior Developer / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, AB3 July 2017
I enjoyed working there, met a lot of good people. Learned a lot in my field. I enjoyed working on project with other departments. This employer valued contribution on all levels.
Pros
Fun environment, good people
Cons
Cost of living
productive place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 June 2017
great place to work, enjoyable staff, flex hours available, overall enjoyable. work load was fast pace, most of the managers were very nice, close to home
Pros
flex hours available
Cons
contracts run out
Records/Storage Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 May 2017
Great place to work, everyone was easy to get along with. If you ever had an issue with something someone was always there to help.

There was always something to work on, kept me busy and on my feet a lot which was awesome makes the day go by fast.
Pros
Great hours
fun place to work
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, AB18 April 2017
It was an incredible experience for me to be able to work at one of the biggest Municipality of Canada.
I found that experience very grateful, to help people to comfort them after going through a such disaster
Cons
very risky
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 March 2017
The Fort McMurray Hotel Group provided excellent opportunities to grow and build a long career. The management team provided much needed support and encouragement.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
the trades guys are fun to work with
supervisor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, AB16 February 2017
this is a good place to work however 35 hour work weeks are a little to slow for me I need more hours and be depended on more. there is not much room for advancement a great place if you have a few years left to retirement.
Productive and Fun
Labourer (Summer Student) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 February 2017
Good things don't last forever I learnt. The most fun job I've ever had in Fort McMurray. From the first day on the job staff and management made everything roll smooth for me to understand how things worked. It went by so fast I miss it so much.
Review
RCMP Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, AB1 February 2017
Overall good company. The people are great. Management is over well helpful. Good Benefits. Good work atmosphere. I liked my experience.