Region of Waterloo

Region of Waterloo Employee Reviews

The Region of Waterloo provides services that are critical to the community. Working there gives you an opportunity to have a real impact on the people and programs in the area.
Working at Region of Waterloo was a wonderful time. I would look forward going to work everyday and gained many valuable skills. I learned how to manage my time effectively while dealing with a multitude of different tenants. The culture in the workplace was great with many helpful supervisors who were always willing to help with any problems. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.
Recommend working for the Region. It was a great learning experience and you get hands on project experience. Everyone is welcoming and open to any questions you have.
This is a great company to work for, especially if you enjoy being around children and you want to be able to stay home with your own family while bringing in an income.
Pros
working from home
Cons
pay rate, lack of children needing care
Staff in general is friendly and helpful. Management is not easily approachable and is not interested in helping their support staff advance their careers even though they insist to be leaders in this compared to other organizations. There are also cases where friends of management get promoted in an underhanded way. The public service aspect of the job is the most satisfying part of the work at the Region.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Lack of opportunities for advancement
Loved it, was one of the best jobs I had ever had. Everyone was awesome to work with. from the managers to the cleaners. Everyone pushed you to do and be better.
Pros
flexible house, mon to fri, happy workers, great bosses, enabled growth and learning, friendly overall
Cons
very hard to get into if you're not in the union
Would love to see hiring practices change so there are less contract jobs and more permanent positions. Employer is helpful, courteous and tries to have your best interest at heart.
This is a great place to work. The hardest part of the job is the busy days. I have learned a lot about the garbage and recycling we do in the region. The people I work with are the best part of my day. The residents are mostly friendly and like the friendly atmosphere
Amazing opportunity to work for the region of Waterloo. I have no complaints other than the union. Great clients make it easy to go to work and to feel loved! Enjoyed my experience greatly!
Pros
Great management, great clients, great staff!
Cons
Contract, union
Staff and colleagues are great. It is like one extended family. Hours are convenient. Great work life balance. Opportunities for career development and to participate in various project teams.
Really enjoyed my experiences here and look forward to employment in the future. This Atypical placment is highly recommened
Great atmosphere and relationships between fellow employees but management is terrible. Managers constantly deny flexible schedules, question people about their sick days and try to deny employees the right to take sick time. When inclement weather arises, individuals who live out of town may have to leave without pay or use vacation if they wish to get home safely. Benefits are constantly being downgraded while workloads increase with no new employee positions hired to balance the workload. It is hard at times to meet deadlines. Pay is comparable to other corporations for government organizations although fees deducted have increased greatly and fee increases are greater than bargained pay increases. Stress levels are high among employees.
Pros
Only have to work 7 hours per day.
Cons
Have to tolerate being micromanaged and talked down to. Also, may be denied rights for sick days and the ability to make up missed time.
Great career, long hours because of splits until seniority is higher. Management is great. Co-workers are very helpful especially to new comers. Get to interact with a diverse community. Amazing vehicles that have been bought with a comprehensive knowledge of eronomics for the drivers.
Pros
Room to move into a full-time position as Transit Bus Operator, Great if you already have a part-time position elsewhere, or semi-retired
Cons
Part-time on an daily on call situation, No guarantee of hours however they require you to gaurantee hours even if they do not call, No call no pay
One of the most informative jobs I have held, staff were very helpful and I felt as though I was truly making a difference when I went to work each morning.
Conventional Transit Operator. Fun job, great vehicles to drive on amazing routes with awesome customers. Great benefits with the region.
Pros
longevity
Cons
I have worked three contracts with the Region and have enjoyed every one. No issues with any co-workers and more importantly no issues with receiving my pay on time.
Cons
Typical work day is face-paced and ever changing due to policy changes of more than one level of government.A job or special project well done is noticed and appreciated by management. Personal recognition is now a part of the values and standards set out by the Region of Waterloo.My co-workers are easy to get a long with and each bring good ideas and specialties to the work environment.The hardest part of the job is knowing we serve the most vulnerable people in our Region and sometimes have to make difficult decisions regarding their eligibility for Ontario Works benefits and having to say No sometimes.The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people you consider as family as you spend a good part of your day with them.Everyone cares about each other and tries to help. My team mates are good listeners and it is a joy to go to work just to work with them.