Region of Waterloo

Region of Waterloo Pay & benefits reviews

I honestly love my job. The area where I work is super laid back and comfortable comfortable. There are a few people that think it's high school with the way they handle themselves. This can be frustrating, however management is aware and handling the issue quite well.
Pros
Great pay and tons of opportunity to move around
Cons
Benefits are only given to people considered permanent full time
ROW’s reputation of being a racist place of employment is not just a rumour. Management and HR are full aware racism, discrimination and bullying happen and yet they condone these practices.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Racism, discrimination and bullying
Union, hr, & management are worst. You have zero support & backing from peers. They turn a blind eye. So much harassment & devious ppl (mostly management & hr). If you are not a 'yes man' then don't apply/work here.once you see what it's really like, you'll understand why I am saying this. Externally, they promote a family friendly environment, but internally it is anything but. Benefits are good and so is pay, but it's not worth your soul.
Advancement is quite hard, unionized - lots of office gossip and people taking advantage of the union (extra time off). Lots of cliques - reminds me of highschool
Pros
Pay
Cons
Union
I do not feel comfortable being forced to give a review. I have no hard feelings leaving, I am moving and need another job. Great benefits and pay. That is all.
Region of Waterloo is a good employer. Actively seeks input from employees. Pay is good. Opportunities for advancement are offered.There is job security.My coworkers are supportive and we work well as a team.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Shift work
Great atmosphere and relationships between fellow employees but management is terrible. Managers constantly deny flexible schedules, question people about their sick days and try to deny employees the right to take sick time. When inclement weather arises, individuals who live out of town may have to leave without pay or use vacation if they wish to get home safely. Benefits are constantly being downgraded while workloads increase with no new employee positions hired to balance the workload. It is hard at times to meet deadlines. Pay is comparable to other corporations for government organizations although fees deducted have increased greatly and fee increases are greater than bargained pay increases. Stress levels are high among employees.
Pros
Only have to work 7 hours per day.
Cons
Have to tolerate being micromanaged and talked down to. Also, may be denied rights for sick days and the ability to make up missed time.
Conventional Transit Operator. Fun job, great vehicles to drive on amazing routes with awesome customers. Great benefits with the region.
Pros
longevity
Cons
Typical work day is face-paced and ever changing due to policy changes of more than one level of government.A job or special project well done is noticed and appreciated by management. Personal recognition is now a part of the values and standards set out by the Region of Waterloo.My co-workers are easy to get a long with and each bring good ideas and specialties to the work environment.The hardest part of the job is knowing we serve the most vulnerable people in our Region and sometimes have to make difficult decisions regarding their eligibility for Ontario Works benefits and having to say No sometimes.The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people you consider as family as you spend a good part of your day with them.Everyone cares about each other and tries to help. My team mates are good listeners and it is a joy to go to work just to work with them.