Region of Waterloo

Region of Waterloo Management reviews

I honestly love my job. The area where I work is super laid back and comfortable comfortable. There are a few people that think it's high school with the way they handle themselves. This can be frustrating, however management is aware and handling the issue quite well.
Pros
Great pay and tons of opportunity to move around
Cons
Benefits are only given to people considered permanent full time
ROW’s reputation of being a racist place of employment is not just a rumour. Management and HR are full aware racism, discrimination and bullying happen and yet they condone these practices.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Racism, discrimination and bullying
There are a lot of grey areas so the ball is always in mgmt court. They thrive themselves on discipline and termination, treat employees likev5 years olds. Cold callous narcissistic mgmt that might as well be wearing white sheets. Councilors are aware but choose to turn a blind eye and deaf ear to the dysfunction.
The environment is very toxic. Employees are treated like the dirt under management’s feet. You are just a disposibke number and mean nothing to anyone there. If a customer complains, it will always be your fault regardless.
Pros
Money is not terrible and the customers we're great
Cons
very poor place to work ,lots of stress. Very poor management from the top to the bottom.would not recommend anyone to work for the region.There is no room for advancement and management is the poorest that i have seen.
It's ok place to work so far. But HR does what they want and dont listen to employees requests even if they are in the wrong. Thay have an attitude that they are better then any other agency.
Union, hr, & management are worst. You have zero support & backing from peers. They turn a blind eye. So much harassment & devious ppl (mostly management & hr). If you are not a 'yes man' then don't apply/work here.once you see what it's really like, you'll understand why I am saying this. Externally, they promote a family friendly environment, but internally it is anything but. Benefits are good and so is pay, but it's not worth your soul.
Supervisors are great to work with if any issues develop in my personal life. My co-workers are always willing to help me out with concerns i may have since i don't work very often and things tend to change.
The Region of Waterloo is an awesome place to work. But unfortunately it depends what dept your in. In ours you can never work hard enough, the numbers never make sense and management is unapproachable. Upper management, we feel are making the right steps for improvement. But us lower people voices are somehow always blocked. Despite numerous surveys and people's complaints. Great place for Administration work or HR. If your a trades man, your screwed.
Pros
Gaining sonority. Nobody stays long enough to gain any.
Cons
Double the front office staff then workers on the shop floor
This co-op term was my best by far- I learned about management, got experience conducting inspections, and learned how contracts worked by being in charge of them from start to finish.
Staff in general is friendly and helpful. Management is not easily approachable and is not interested in helping their support staff advance their careers even though they insist to be leaders in this compared to other organizations. There are also cases where friends of management get promoted in an underhanded way. The public service aspect of the job is the most satisfying part of the work at the Region.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Lack of opportunities for advancement
Amazing opportunity to work for the region of Waterloo. I have no complaints other than the union. Great clients make it easy to go to work and to feel loved! Enjoyed my experience greatly!
Pros
Great management, great clients, great staff!
Cons
Contract, union
Great atmosphere and relationships between fellow employees but management is terrible. Managers constantly deny flexible schedules, question people about their sick days and try to deny employees the right to take sick time. When inclement weather arises, individuals who live out of town may have to leave without pay or use vacation if they wish to get home safely. Benefits are constantly being downgraded while workloads increase with no new employee positions hired to balance the workload. It is hard at times to meet deadlines. Pay is comparable to other corporations for government organizations although fees deducted have increased greatly and fee increases are greater than bargained pay increases. Stress levels are high among employees.
Pros
Only have to work 7 hours per day.
Cons
Have to tolerate being micromanaged and talked down to. Also, may be denied rights for sick days and the ability to make up missed time.
Great career, long hours because of splits until seniority is higher. Management is great. Co-workers are very helpful especially to new comers. Get to interact with a diverse community. Amazing vehicles that have been bought with a comprehensive knowledge of eronomics for the drivers.
Pros
Room to move into a full-time position as Transit Bus Operator, Great if you already have a part-time position elsewhere, or semi-retired
Cons
Part-time on an daily on call situation, No guarantee of hours however they require you to gaurantee hours even if they do not call, No call no pay
Typical work day is face-paced and ever changing due to policy changes of more than one level of government.A job or special project well done is noticed and appreciated by management. Personal recognition is now a part of the values and standards set out by the Region of Waterloo.My co-workers are easy to get a long with and each bring good ideas and specialties to the work environment.The hardest part of the job is knowing we serve the most vulnerable people in our Region and sometimes have to make difficult decisions regarding their eligibility for Ontario Works benefits and having to say No sometimes.The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people you consider as family as you spend a good part of your day with them.Everyone cares about each other and tries to help. My team mates are good listeners and it is a joy to go to work just to work with them.