Region of Waterloo

Region of Waterloo Employee Reviews

Canada35 reviews
An important place to work
The Region of Waterloo provides services that are critical to the community. Working there gives you an opportunity to have a real impact on the people and programs in the area.
Not a good place to work
The environment is very toxic. Employees are treated like the dirt under management’s feet. You are just a disposibke number and mean nothing to anyone there. If a customer complains, it will always be your fault regardless.
Pros
Money is not terrible and the customers we're great
Cons
Wasn't answered honestly to the questions i had for them durimg my interview
My co workers are decent,and work load is fair however were are the lowest paid mechanics out of any other municipality! They need more shop tools esp regarding electronics, and need updated tooling,ie; our torque wrench is 25yrs old? Can only calibrate it so many times! That's our 3/4 drive torque wrench to which I'am referring for torquing wheels on big trucks to 500ft lbs
Kind of important! The money is the real issue for me and for the other heavy techs !
Very poor
very poor place to work ,lots of stress. Very poor management from the top to the bottom.would not recommend anyone to work for the region.There is no room for advancement and management is the poorest that i have seen.
Good money...bad attitdues
It's ok place to work so far. But HR does what they want and dont listen to employees requests even if they are in the wrong. Thay have an attitude that they are better then any other agency.
Previous long term employee in social services
Union, hr, & management are worst. You have zero support & backing from peers. They turn a blind eye. So much harassment & devious ppl (mostly management & hr). If you are not a 'yes man' then don't apply/work here.once you see what it's really like, you'll understand why I am saying this. Externally, they promote a family friendly environment, but internally it is anything but. Benefits are good and so is pay, but it's not worth your soul.
flexible work schedule
Supervisors are great to work with if any issues develop in my personal life. My co-workers are always willing to help me out with concerns i may have since i don't work very often and things tend to change.
Contract through the Region to provide Home childcare
Must be organized and willing to put in hours. Hard but rewarding work.
Always looking for new activities and recipes for the children in my care.

Provided care 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Region of Waterloo?
Great Work Place but...
I honestly love my job. The area where I work is super laid back and comfortable comfortable. There are a few people that think it's high school with the way they handle themselves. This can be frustrating, however management is aware and handling the issue quite well.
Pros
Great pay and tons of opportunity to move around
Cons
Benefits are only given to people considered permanent full time
If you can get into the union, it's great!
Advancement is quite hard, unionized - lots of office gossip and people taking advantage of the union (extra time off). Lots of cliques - reminds me of highschool
Pros
Pay
Cons
Union
Do not feel comfortable giving review
I do not feel comfortable being forced to give a review. I have no hard feelings leaving, I am moving and need another job. Great benefits and pay. That is all.
flexible work hours
flexible hours with support from the supervisor for anything is need it at any time. able to mix wy work on family life andn enjoy the oportunity to share time with my son
Region of Waterloo is a good employer. Actively seeks input from employees. Pay is good. Opportunities for advancement are offered.There is job security.My coworkers are supportive and we work well as a team.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Shift work
Very discouraging environment
The Region of Waterloo is an awesome place to work. But unfortunately it depends what dept your in. In ours you can never work hard enough, the numbers never make sense and management is unapproachable. Upper management, we feel are making the right steps for improvement. But us lower people voices are somehow always blocked. Despite numerous surveys and people's complaints. Great place for Administration work or HR. If your a trades man, your screwed.
Pros
Gaining sonority. Nobody stays long enough to gain any.
Cons
Double the front office staff then workers on the shop floor
Co-op
This co-op term was my best by far- I learned about management, got experience conducting inspections, and learned how contracts worked by being in charge of them from start to finish.
Good beginning to my career
Very experienced and knowledgeable staff who provide good customer service to the public, Learned much from this position, and was a great beginning to my career.
summation
rarely is there a typical day due to the nature of the business.
The workplace culture varies from department to department. the overall scheme is to work as a unit . The region does promote public awareness and is safety minded. the region also promoted internal and continually expects the employee to learn and upgrade the skills and skill knowledge as newer legislation becomes available
Pros
job secuirity
Cons
potential long hours in inclimate weather
Great Balance of Work and Fun
Positive environment and a workplace anyone would be lucky to endure. All staff is welcoming and friendly. There is a great balance between the work life and after hours feel.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
After hour visits
Productive fun work environment which allowed youth to gain experience in the work field.
Working at Region of Waterloo was a wonderful time. I would look forward going to work everyday and gained many valuable skills. I learned how to manage my time effectively while dealing with a multitude of different tenants. The culture in the workplace was great with many helpful supervisors who were always willing to help with any problems. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.
Student Construction Coordinator
Recommend working for the Region. It was a great learning experience and you get hands on project experience. Everyone is welcoming and open to any questions you have.
allowed me to stay at home with my children and work from home
I wanted to stay at home when I had my children so I opened a home daycare through the Region.
It gave me the ability to keep my skills updated and learn more about running your own business.
Pros
staying at home with my children