Region of Peel Employee Reviews

What I learned?
Electronic Information Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 December 2018
My experience at the region was quite rewarding. I was pleased and overjoyed with the management and my team members. The administrative experience was quite extensive and enriched my skills and talents. It was a privilege to work for an establishment that puts students first and equips us with the skills and talents to further our careers.
Pros
Paid breaks
Working steadfastly towards culture change
Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 September 2018
Good public sector employer with relatively competitive salaries and benefits. Innovative practises. Fast paced. This employer wants to do the right thing by their employees but is still struggling with the dysfunction that comes with changing a culture. Good flexible work practises in many areas but not consistent yet.
amazing experience
Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON21 November 2018
Amazing employer. was sad when they closed all childcare centers thus leading to my lay off.. great teamwork in my work place. everyone was always willing to work together on center activities such as center evening events. really enjoyed working with the families. days were very busy with lots of duties but the day just flew by. My skills were definitely built on by working with menu substitutions and different cuisines. cleaning duties were quite extensive. Management were always supportive and had an amazing open the door policy. working with the kids was a pleasure. i think I learned more from them then they did from me.
Pros
great hours
Cons
center closure
Exeptional work environment with excellent team support.
Commercial Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Peel, ON25 September 2018
Scheduled and organized daily maintenance tasks, managed annual budgets for several facilities. Worked as part of an efficient management team mapping new strategies and setting annual goals.
Pros
Excellent salary and benefits
Cons
Thought it was great, but then saw the underbelly
Not saying (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 November 2018
Culture of intimidation from the top down. Depending on your supervisor, you may feel it or not. Unreasonable expectations. Horrible work/life balance.
Amazing group of people who work together
Water Department, Restoration Student (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 August 2018
I would begin the day by preparing my truck with the equipment I need. I would then complete the jobs I have to do for that day, and report back to my manager who is one of the best I've had throughout all my previous workplaces. The culture is great as everyone gets along and greets one another as we say working together is key. The hardest part of the job would be having to work outside in these summer conditions as it gets extremely hot. What I enjoy most about the job is how the days go by fast as we work as a team, are always in a good mood, and we get the job done in a very professional way.
Pros
Good mood, positivity and friendly, quick days rather watching the clock, good pay, excellent equipment, amazing environment, great managers, great hours
Cons
Summer heat conditions
Internal leadership issues
Community Relations (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 April 2018
Marketing and Comms can’t seem to keep skilled leadership to help guide the organization. Current director has no real comms experience but is a fill in for the previous woman who was skilled and experienced. The organization seems to lack vision and leadership as to who the stakeholders and residents are and how the residents of Peel need to be engaged. Friends help friends move around in the organization. Real talent and skills are needed and they are stuck with unionized workers who are just looking to retire . No one is really motivated to work beyond their 9-5 hours. Actual FT jobs are limited because of low attrition. No one leaves the Region because retirement is waiting. In the meantime, actual jobs are being performed by contract workers with no real job security .
Pros
Trying to build a workplace culture
Cons
Too many layers of beauracracy
Calm, business casual environment
Legislative Assistant/ Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 August 2018
Working at the Region of Peel has always been great. I worked there for 8 years always on contracts. It has been difficult to land a permanent position because of the way that the system is set up. Although it is a pleasant environment and they create a great work/ life balance, it is difficult to advance in the company.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Difficulty climbing the professional ladder
Not for ambitious professionals
Project Manager - Human Services (Former Employee) –  Peel, ON4 January 2019
If you are at the end of your career and do not aspire to achieve higher goals, then this is the place to be. Unionized environment and no one is happy part of the union making it harder for the non unionized staff to make any decisions.
Work is meaningful but management is not competent
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 June 2018
Work is meaningful but management needs to be more competent. Innovation is not encouraged while available technology remains a huge challenge. A lot of red tape.
Huge Company
Operational Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 June 2018
Being such a large company, it is hard to reach the perfection point.
Great place to work if you are out of the union. If you are union material, this is your medium.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
But only if you are a permanent employee. Wait years to become one.
Great entry level opportunity
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 October 2018
My direct reporting supervisor was positive and motivating. She coached me to pursue better things and offered great feedback on some business ideas...
stable
SUMMER STUDENT HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 August 2018
Good place to work and learn, different divisions and things to take part in in terms of learning and doing office work. Lots of ways to go up in the company
Great team to be a part of
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 March 2018
Working with the Region of Peel has been extremely beneficial for my career. As a RECE, it has provided me with ample amount of training that I have applied and still apply to my teaching in my home daycare. I appreciated their full commitment in providing excellent childcare and in allowing their staff to expand/continue their learning.
Pros
Opportunities to advance in your career
Overall, good place to work!
Call Centre Rep (Former Employee) –  Brampton14 September 2015
Typical call centre duties, opportunities to gain experience in multiple divisions because the wide range of requests and services handled through the Contact Centre. Management is decent and can't complain too much. I had the best Supervisor so my experience was awesome but not all the supervisors deserve the same level of recognition. And some supervisors clearly have favourites. A lot of politics as well and some staff seem to know a lot more of information about others which is strange. However, there are some great people who work there and if you don't mind dealing with the public in a front line environment, this is a great opportunity!
Pros
Good hours, good benefits, great pay, lots of room for growth!
Cons
Contract position and management styles all different
Region is a fun place to work. We have lots of entertainment, barbeques, social gatherings etc.
Administrative SupportAdministrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton/Mississauga29 August 2013
I am a workaholic, love being busy and complete all the task given in time. I am very organized, accurate and flexible

I have learned a lot of database software through my 6 years experience within the Region

I work cooperatively with the Management team.

I am so blessed to have such excellent co-workers in my entire job career. It takes time to adjust and be there for the team whenever there is crisis. I have been there and I know what it takes to be helpful, kind and considerate.

The hardest part of the job is that I can never say no to anyone. However busy I am, if there is a colleague who needs help and who is behind in her work if we have a deadline, I will be there to help.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that we all work as one big family. Very supportive and helpful.
Pros
No presure, gifts and recommendations for hard work
Cons
long hours if there is a deadline on a project
A lot of opportunities to grow and learn about Municipal Government
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peel, ON15 April 2018
During my years with the Region of Peel I had the opportunity to work in many different departments, divisions and sections within Municipal Government.
I learned many programs that were applicable to each of the departments that I worked in. I gained knowledge on how the operations of each section and department worked.
I was extremely proud to provide my services to our internal and external clients.
The main difficulty working for the Region is obtaining Full Time Permanent employment.
Professional Environment
Assistant Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Peel, ON21 May 2018
This particular job required conduction In-Class Presentation for the Grades K to 8, and knowledge them about water conservation, water treatment plants and the environment. There was also analyzing the data produced by the results of the presentation and developing activities that are better suited for the younger minds that help them understand the importance of water.
A good place to work good compensation and benefits excellent culture and values.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, Ontario29 February 2012
The Region of Peel offers excellent benefits and compensation. The work culture and values are exemplary and the organization is very concerned about work life balance. There are opportunities for taking a compressed work week and in some positons telecommuting. Once you are a full time employee you can take advantage of opportunities to take courses and have the region pay for them. Courses are also offered in house.
Pros
excellent benefits and work life balance
Cons
breaks very short.
Exciting Friendly Diverse Environment
Administrative Student (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 June 2018
Great place to work at, everyone ive ran into is amazing and friendly. Would definitely recommend this not only to adults but students looking for a great summer job