Reel FX Employee Reviews

it was fun to work as a propmaker
Propmaker/ Welder/ Fabricator (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CA8 April 2019
I worked doing video and commercial stunts...most of my time there was doing the VW "unpimp my ride" commercial series. at the San Berindero military airport...
Pros
catering
Cons
long hours...one day, I worked 19 hours...
Big Yet Tiny
Executive and Line Producer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX7 March 2018
A lot of moving parts/different divisions. Difficult to get everyone moving in the same direction. Tons of potential for great work, lots of fantastic artists.
Cutting
2nd/Associate Editor (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA17 November 2017
My team was great. The directors are fun and know what they need. The board artists are the best in the business. Worked on some long heavy sound efx and lots scores cuts. Editing is the life.
Pros
I love what I do
Cons
YOu have to love what you do.
A Useless Company
Animator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX24 June 2017
We had nothing to do for over a year and a half. No raises in four years. Huge layoffs. Management does not seem to know the business, or be able to win business. Management is also completely remote from employees. It's as if the owners just hired a bunch of MBA's to fill out the org chart. Working here will damage your reel, your portfolio, and your reputation.
Pros
The coke machine only costs a quarter.
Cons
A really cheap company.
Growing company - wonderful environment
Executive Producer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX6 March 2017
I spent many years with the company and watched it grow from less than 100 all the way up to 350-400 people.

The work is top notch and the talent that walk through the doors are much the same.

Another great feature about the company is how they diversify their efforts - there's long form animation, commercial production, and in the last couple of years VR/AR. This allows more than one area to excel - and if one arm is weak, there are others to help shoulder the load. It's a great system.

Work/life balance is amazing. There are some long days as deadlines draw closer, but usually speaking, 40-45 hour work weeks are the norm.
Great company, but I hit the glass ceiling very early.
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX24 January 2017
Great company, but I hit the glass ceiling very early. This is still a bogus process, since we are going back 20 years! Please fix your review process!
It was really fun
Surface artist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX28 December 2016
I had a really fun time during the time i was there, days were easy and it was very stress free. Coworkers were pretty cool and i always enjoyed their company.
Reel Fx is an awesome place to work.
Creative Director (Current Employee) –  Plano, TX21 August 2014
There is a tremendous amount of variety within the projects. The environment is exciting and employees can do a lot of side projects after hours.
Great Start up with lots of potential
Digital Lighting & Compositing Artist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX12 September 2013
I worked very full days with a great team of artists.
I learned a lot on how an animated feature is created and would love to work with these folks again.
My coworkers were very friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was troubleshooting issues with the assets when they rendered incorrectly.