Red Robin Employee Reviews

Found 130 reviews matching the search See all 3,287 reviews
Poorly managed
Server (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC31 October 2018
Poorly managed and staff are undervalued. Hard to move up and the managers are very apathetic. Feel like you can’t go to them about anything and have been passed over for promotions 3 times in spite of previous management experience for no real reason. Long hours, managers are difficult when you change you availablilty. Overall not a fun place to work
Great Stuctured Training.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 February 2019
This can be an amazing job depending on the team that you end up at any given location. My favorite part about this job was the extreamly focused and structured training, as long as the trainers stick to it you will learn very valuable skills for working in customer service from this job.
Pretty poor work life balance as you get higher up in the company but I imagine that just comes with managing a restaurant, I didn't like how corporate it felt but this company is doing some things right.
I also loved how inclusive they were when it comes to allergies and dietary restrictions in hmtheir restaurants and they even provide braille menus to their vision impaired customers!
Pros
Training, inclusion
Cons
Stressful, Impersonal
Fast Paced Family Restaurant
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 January 2019
.The GM is responsible for total operations of a single restaurant including all aspects of profit and loss, hiring and training of both management and hourly team, daily execution of safety / sanitation, quality food preparation and guest service.
Responsible for cleanliness, repair and maintenance of the building and equipment. The GM is responsible for these areas whether on or off the premises.
Responsible for communicating and administering all company policies and procedures.
Good place to work but not much room to advance...
Line Cook/Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 June 2018
I mostly work in the kitchen and the typical day can vary. Sometimes I open which involves putting together and starting up the equipment, stocking the line with all the required tools, food, etc and some cleaning duties to ensure the line is ready to go for 11am followed by preparing orders. A few mornings a week we also put away the food/paper deliveries that were delivered the night before after closing.
Mid shifts are all about preparing food as well as cleaning duties.
Pre-close and closers start taking tools and food offline followed by cleaning/prep for cleaning by cleaners of tools and equipment then generally cleaning up. Everyone is required to help out in dish to keep it manageable, I actually like being in dish. When I'm doing a prep shift I come in shortly after the opener and prep food for the day/next few days - cutting fruits and veggies, preparing soups and sauces, freezer pull, etc as well as cleaning duties.

I love the culture at Red Robin, the first part of our BURGER acronym is "Better for Being Here" and it truly is a fun place to work. That said, it can be challenging when there does not always seem to be sufficient time given to training new staff, maintaining inventory, or clearly communicating new/existing procedures along with why things are done the way they are. Overall, the people I work with are capable and willing to learn.

While there are opportunities for advancement you're required to change stores if you want to move beyond being a shift leader. Any type of management training is required to be done outside of your "home store"
  more... and then if you're offered a management position after your training it has to be at yet another store. I can understand why this policy is in place, it's easier to foster a manager/employee relationship when you haven't worked along side people before. That said, the policy makes the idea of advancing within the company daunting from a transportation aspect, I chose this store because it's such a short commute.  less
Pros
free team fries, half priced food, free fountain drinks, great people, benefits after 1 year FT work, wage increase based on performance and experience
Cons
no advancement without relocating, lack of standards communication
Good Starter Job
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC10 January 2019
I started working here as my first real job. This gave me my first taste of a real job in high school and what was required of you. A typical date was arriving early at 4:30, filling out a duties sheet, starting at 5pm and work non stop until 8:30-9pm depending on the day or the rush hour. This was the first real example I got that just because your schedule is 5-8 doesn't mean you will be off exactly at 8. The management were very kind to me and always helped me improve my skills at Red Robins, I remember getting injured and they were all very supportive and helped me out through it. The workplace culture is focused on getting food out on time, which can be daunting at times considering on busy nights we would have a huge amount of people ordering food at the same time. The hardest part of the job was definitely when the rush of customers come in at 5:30pm and not stopping till around 9pm on some nights! This is where I really had to learn to communicate effectively with my co-workers. Such things as "Sharp Behind" to indicate a worker moving behind others with a knife or something. Even just asking someone to drop food into the fryers or cross food over to Hot side where they prepared the burgers and other things. The most enjoyable part of the job was just talking to co workers when work had slowed down and just being in the moment. There were some very interesting characters at Red Robin's that I will never forget. All in all a great starter job for those in high school who enjoy working with food and meeting great people.
Pros
Great Managers and great people.
Cons
Busy non stop work.
server
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2019
Working at the Red Robins Windermere was fun and exciting. Management were very friendly and made working there very enjoyable. All workers took time to get to know you and made you feel very welcomed.
Really good place to work and great people but....
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton, AB20 November 2018
management is absolutely terrible! They would never listen to anything you say and would just screw you over and it would be like talking to a brick wall
Pros
Great people, good hours, 50% off food
Cons
terrible management
Very busy and not well run
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC30 September 2018
A typical day would be starting off running a normal server section of about 4-5 times until they start to cut down server staff to the point of where you are solely responsible for nearly 15 tables with no help from management or other staff.
Pros
Fun people. tips are great.
Cons
hours are never determined.
Good starting job
Busser and Hostess (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB22 May 2018
It was a wonderful learning experience working here, and I highly suggest starting here for a first job. Although don't expect high paying wages to start, these come with years of working with them, unless you advance to a higher standing with them. The environment is very hectic, with evenings (Especially weekends) being busiest. Management was often changed every couple months as well. Most of the staff is very young, a large percentage under 30.
Pros
Discounts of meals, free drinks, Semi-flexible schedules.
Cons
Lack of hours (as hostess)
Hands on management and Accomodating workplace
Mason(contractor) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2019
This company is run by professionals,who actually care about there employees. They give you all the tools you need to succeed in masonry. There is alwyas work so its busy all the time
Fun workplace
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Robson, BC2 November 2018
People are amazing to work with. Job gets stressful and busy on weekend nights. Hard to have a flexible schedule when you dont get certain end times. Be ready to work with people than yourself.
good place to work
Line cook/dish washer (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC27 December 2017
was a good place to work, there was room for advancement and benefits weren't to bad. was a good work environment. uniforms were supplied. and meals were half off on your shift.
Poorly managed
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC17 October 2018
I had friends who were employed at other Red Robin locations who really enjoyed their work however my location was poorly managed and understaffed. I felt undervalued as an employee and the job was extremely stressful.
Busy, unorganized
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 October 2018
A good job, if being on your feet and constantly moving is your strong suit. Very fast paced, very demanding, but very stressful. Managers were very apathetic, and would not give breaks even if it's an 8-hour shift.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Apathetic managers and staff
Management poorly trained
Sale Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 June 2018
All the higher up mangers had a lot of troubles communicating with the team properly, and constantly used informal language with employees without giving proper information about the tasks at hand. Hardest part about this job was to deal with constant uncertainty coming from the managers also while I was there the managers kept being fired for lack of for fulfillment in their tasks.
The people that work there
Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC27 September 2018
they're all very nice but on a Friday, they could act like a totally different person on a busy night. further more it's very easy making friends there.
good place to work in however if your looking for part time job, make sure to be prepared to what may come in your path.
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Surrey British Columbia15 May 2018
working in a kitchen in Red Robin is quite enjoyable and also very tiring too. it gets busy and some, gets a bit of a chill day. However in my experience working there as their dishwasher is not as what I expected it to be. as I started there, I was very excited and delighted as a member. but as time goes by, i became more reluctant due to the fact that I told them that my availability was Friday nights, full time on Saturdays and Sundays, and Monday after school. to be honest, a lot of dishwashers had quit before me and yet, they have not been there longer than I had (I think).
Pros
free fries and drinks
Cons
shifts schedules
Meh
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 August 2018
It was just a job, I did meet a lot of amazing people there though, that’s what made it bareable, lack of communication from other managers, overall I will miss the people that I worked with the most . Typical chain and corporate restaurant
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Very stressful, expectations are super high
Expectations for employees were unrealistic
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC11 June 2018
Red Robin offers many opportunities to move up in position and wages were decent. This being said they were consitently short staffed and put pressure on staff as such. Management were inexperienced and unprepared from night to night to handle the volume of guests they received.
Definitely a fun place to work, has its ups and downs
Waitress/Bartender/Certified Learning Coach (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 May 2017
The job can be sometimes stressful. It can be frustrating when it gets busy, and the pay is a little unfair, even after working there for a significant amount of time. I believe that they should also offer benefits to their employees, however this is not the case.
Pros
fun place, co workers
Cons
long hours, little pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Red Robin. Our community is ready to answer.

41K