Red River co-op Employee Reviews

A welcoming community focused feel, with an emphasis on the people, keeping it local, and helping the community.
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 May 2019
One of the best work environments I have had, CO-OP has a pleasant and camaraderie feel to the work environment, with more focus on customer assistance, promoting local businesses and providers, and assisting the community and its people, than in almost all the other places I have worked.

Being unionized, even part time staff get partial benefits, above minimum wage, and paid vacation time.

Lower sales pressure than many stores, there is some up-selling, however the items being up-sold often have a portion of their profits assisting local charities, like our socks for Siloam or our savings for schools coupon sheets.
Generally a good homegrown feel for a store that (while still a profit making business) tries to help out where they can.
Pros
Union pay amounts, benefits, community and local focus, low pressure atmosphere, charity support, local business support, customer orientated.
Cons
Widely varying schedules, average to lower pay, stores may be under renovations, room for advancement may mean transferring departments stores or cities.
fun fast paced environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 March 2019
a face paced work setting with great customer service rewards programs. i genuinely enjoyed working with the customer base and staff. the hardest part of the job which was easy to find a solution is when mistakes are made irate customers would verbally attack the staff but this is understandable and never actually caused interference with my day.
Ok place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dryden, ON18 March 2019
Its under new management now
When I worked there the manager was bad to work for.
Not appropriate behavior from management. Rude, mean, disrespectful person.
Getting worse
Agricultural Applicator/Driver/Warehouse/Sales (Current Employee) –  Innisfail, AB1 March 2019
Lacombe co op is probably the best to work for. None of the other Agro sites are . Innisfail is terrible. Managers unorganized and staff just lazy. You won’t know if your coming or going. You’ll be told your hired to do a certain job or jobs and you will end up doing something totally different . Too many people trying to run the place.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
great place to work! friendly environment.
Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 January 2019
Working at co-op has been great. managers and co-workers are consistent at bringing their best at the workplace. the most enjoyable part of the job is coming in and meeting customer's expectations.
busy fast paced work place
Gas Pump attendant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 January 2019
its dealing with the public at their best and at their worst you meet great people you work outside hours are shift work and you can work as much or as little as you want
I enjoy who I work with
Retail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lorette, MB28 December 2018
I like it but I need full time hours.plus I work with some great people and made some good friends. But now my life situation has changed. I enjoy all the baking and the prep for the next day. But it is hard work.
Pros
I like the people I work with
Cons
Not enough hours is
retail environment
Safety & Loss Prevention Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 December 2018
Busy office environment and the management are very serious about being a successful company. Benefits are good and the wage is decent. There is a definite split between managers and office workers who feel that they are devalued although management does organize team building activities to reduce this feeling.
Pros
Nice building to work out of
Cons
conversation among staff seems to be discouraged unless on break
Great employee's if you like a high school type setting...
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 November 2018
Day of work, spend most of it outside taking orders from customers to fill the car up with there desired fuel and possible clean the windows and check the oil level and purity.
Workplace culture, alot like high school. A ton of gossip and shade.
Hardest part of the job would be winter.
Most enjoyable part of the job would be talking to the co-workers.
and all around having a great day with the customers too.
Pros
Fast food joint all around you within a few minute walking distance
Cons
Not much room for a pay raise
Clerk Cashier (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB3 October 2018
First job I had while attending high school It is a great place to work however I am looking for full time employment in a higher status. I have been employed here for 8 years.
Pros
Great flexable hours
Cons
no future advancement
Very inclusive work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 September 2018
I absolutely love working at co-op and have had the privilege of working at all three locations in the city. Each store has a very unique set of employees but all are super helpful and very easy to get along with. Only downside is it is unionized so wages increase pretty much at the same rate minimum wage does so you’re always stuck at the bottom.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Poor wages
Fast-paced and productive workplace with an amazing group of workers.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 August 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was the coworkers and how moving up in the workplace was available. I learned a lot about time management, and how to work and give good customer service amongst different situations.
Fun place to work, Very flexible
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 August 2018
I loved working here, Staff is always amazing.

Customers were always understanding if issues came to lights.

Would recommend working here time and time again.
Great bosses. Lots of opportunities to advance
JR. CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Spruce View, AB20 August 2018
Great managers at all stores. Given many opportunities at other locations as I gained experience. Co workers are good, however let the younger staff to a lot of the work.
Productive and fun place to work for
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 August 2018
I started in september of 2017. Management is okay, they tend to make mistakes with scheduling here and there. They could do lots of improvements on providing accommodations for people with mental disorders. Overall, a pretty decent part time job. I learned how to control my anxiety when under pressure. The hardest part of the job was getting used to the routine and learning how to interact with customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is spending time and laughing with my coworkers, they're my second family.
Pros
friendly staff, friendly customers
Cons
poor accommodations, bad hours when you first start
Excellent co-workers/manager
Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 August 2018
Shifts are traded off between morning and evening. Shift change is typically at 3:00pm, but some variations are made to accommodate different schedules. Move fast to get to cars, greet customers in a friendly manner but don't rely too much on the script that's typically given to new trainees. Be authentic and customers will respect you.
Management is competent and reasonable, a bit stressed out and absent-minded at times.
Pros
Good co-workers, lunch breaks are reasonable, flexible hours (usually)
Cons
working in all weather conditions, loud construction in the summer
Fun workplace
Assistant Manager/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 August 2018
Had a great time working here. Coworkers and management were all amazing people, it was never a dull moment. Everyone got along which made it easy to look forward to going in to work.
Not the best place to work if you are looking for advancement
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 June 2018
It wasn't the best job I've had but the hours were pretty flexible. Management wasn't too concerned with helping you better yourself. I would ask to take food safety courses and was never enrolled in them because they "forgot" to register me. They were too concerned with customer happiness and how the company looked to the public than they were with employee safety.
productive and fun
gas jockey (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 May 2018
lots to do where with work love the gas jockey job but its too cold in winter to pump the gas other then that all had fun and enjoyed my day did everything from gas to cash to propane customer service always with a smile
Pros
free water
Cons
cold
most enjoyble part of the job
Cashier and Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg1 May 2018
my experience was with coop was awesome. the manager and all the coop member is good and polite in nature. i feltl very cool when i doing a work there.
Pros
interesting job
Cons
low salary