Red Deer College

Red Deer College Employee Reviews

Canada51 reviews
Was a student
I went to college here I did not work here.

I cannot review this place as I have never worked there

I never worked here - not sure why your system does not understand
Not worth it
Did not provide even close to enough job training. Did not teach how to us workplace systems, or even the important details of working on the job. Desk job primarily, dealing with customers, purchasing for residence activities.
Great teammates, confusing leadership
RDC is a place with great benefits and work hours. Management direction can be quite confusing and hypocritical. Friends and family usually get looked at first for advancement.
Don’t recommend
Watch your back everyone out to back stab lots of two faced people scared of losing their jobs to much politics in the workplace the bosses care more about the dollar then the employ and students even if they say different highly don’t recommend unless there’s no other option
Great temporary job
Take the shifts you wanted. Great support, relaxed environment. Training was awesome, easy to follow instructions.

Thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Great place to work.
Is a great place to work, but depends of which department you're hired for. great people to work with and the policies to work are very clear.
Good benefits.
Temporary summer employment
I enjoyed working at the college. I learned different programs. The people were great to work with and offered their help. Very interesting in learning different programs.
Residence
I took a leap and applied to this job. it has opened up so many doors for me and allowed me to connect with so many people that i otherwise would not have reached out to. it is a great place and job to do if you are looking to interact more and be involved on campus
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Red Deer College?
Good
Good days at work , very fast and entertaining job, lots to learn and achieve , working with people at red deer collegue is one of the greatest challenges
Enjoyable workplace to start the retail industry
The management and entire team were very understanding about availability knowing we go to class, but it was easy to get to work as you could just start right away after class
Better have the right friends
You could get recognized for a lot of things here. Not kissing the right butt, not sucking up to the right people. But put in long hours and work harder than anybody else and it will barely be noticed. Take a look at the amount of people that have resigned in the last ten years. Take a look at the number of layoffs and cuts in order to build a new gym building and create positions for friends.
College setting has great energy
Flexible work hours. Positive environment. Rewarding work. Students are challenging and very rewarding to work with- mentoring and facilitating skills are a must
Great place to work with amazing people
Red Deer College is a great place to work with room to learn and grow daily. The people are friendly and helpful in any area of need. Room for advancement is an option with option to move to other areas of the college as well
Great experience for personal and professional growth
Great experience for personal and professional growth. Red Deer College challenged me to grow by getting me out of my comfort zone and embracing change.
Pros
Ample opportunity for professional growth.
Cons
Very toxic culture at times.
Productive workplace fast paced
While working the student association was good because I would be working the college students, on improving the college to make it a better place to be at. would've been nice to work with them longer but with being a college student while working with this was hard to balance out, but eventually it got easier to deal with. The enjoyable part of the job was running the events for the students, getting the feedback from the students as well to improve in the near future.
Pros
Free Lunches at meetings
Cons
Always on the job while at the college even when during class hours and studying.
It's a fun place to work!!
-Always being taught new things
-My boss is very accommodating

-It is a college bookstore so it is a diverse place to work

-Being a team leader has given me some pretty great opportunities
Pros
Love my bosses and the people I work with, always growing and learning
Cons
Low wages and very little hours
good wholesome work
Lots of things to keep a person busy. Painting, prepping, and cleaning of shop. Great owner. Worked well with most employees. Learned a lot about the painting business.
Team work
I enjoy working with my team and the clients at Red Deer College.
It is always a busy place, lots of activity, assisting new and experienced students to get where they need to be. making sure everything is secure at the end of the day as well as ensuring the validation of client/s before you grant access or information.

Ensuring the safety of residences and property at all times.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
hours aren't flexible
Good job if you're semi-retired
Not a bad place to work. Fellow staff very helpful. Management is getting more and more "micro". Benefits could be better. I see a strike in the near future.
A fantastic place to learn.
I really enjoyed the five years I worked at RDC. The wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm of the instructors created an invaluable learning experience which motivated me to strive for excellence.

The hardest part of the job was putting the time in after hours to prepare and refine my lessons to meet the needs of students who are accustomed to change. This meant keeping the delivery method and style always fresh. This, of course, was an investment in the students' and my own learning experience which paid off at the end of their program. The elation we felt due to their success was the best part of the job.

Anyone contemplating an instructor position must consider that Red Deer College is a very competitive institution in that it does its utmost to attract students and that translates to the quality of instruction and delivery of the programs it offers. In other words, students and instructors alike should be prepared to give their all when they enter RDC's classrooms and labs.
Pros
Professional Development, Colleagues, Enthusiastic Learning Environment
Not recommended
After working several years contract to contract I was left with no position and a feeling of being used. The top management i is arrogant and lacking in the department of ethics which has a trickle down effect to the lower management.
Pros
Teaching is great and the lifestyle is a nice change of pace.
Cons
The monetary rewards are poor. You get laid off every summer