Recipe Unlimited Corporation

Recipe Unlimited Corporation Employee Reviews

Canada115 reviews
Given the opportunity to learn a lot and advance in different positions. Will meet different types of people and build business relationships both inside and outside of the building.
I hope this gets read, especially if you're a person who is struggling with mental health, considering working at this restaurant, and have ASD, depression, OCD, ADD/ADHD, this is not a place for you to work. If you are seeking a job to move higher in this industry, this job could be a good stepping stone for working on the line, but to move higher and get a better pay (as far as I know) at Swiss Chalet? This job is not for you.

My time at Swiss Chalet was short-lived but was a great stepping stone into the industry. However, as a person who struggles with ADHD and has memory problems, this job was unforgiving to these problems. It's not unforgiving like you'll get fired (instantly) but the environment will be more toxic for you than you'll realize.

In my first month (during job training) I was called stupid many times by the person who was supposed to train me. When I was late by 5 minutes one time (because of bussing), he refused to train me insisting that I went home and then proceeded to not train me for the rest of the day. Had I not stepped up and told the manager, I could've gone the entire day not being trained during my training period. As the month progressed, I noticed that the training was slightly inconsistent as the manager doesn't care what you do first, as long as the food is prepared before opening (which is normal). However, when you have a co-worker that insists on a task to be done a certain way, to then have a manager tell you a different way to do the exact same task, that gets confusing and this was my first month. This issue occurs consistently
 - more...
Pros
Free Lunches, Flexible hours
Cons
Long Hours, No promotion available, No Raises, Toxic work environment
Unfortunately, the corporate structure and financial model of these franchised restaurants leaves the staff in a position to be exploited. Stagnant wages, forced overtime, verbal as well as physical harassment is the norm. I would never recommend working for a non-independent restaurant, since these exploitative practices are necessary for franchisees to maximize their profits. Further, in order to keep labour costs low, inexperienced management seems to be all these franchisees are able to hire, leading to harmful working environments for staff.
Cons
Long Hours, Low pay, inexperienced management.
Worked at the call centre and hours scraped by. Felt like I was shackled by ball and chain to my desk. They measure with time your washroom breaks and monitor how many times you hop off the call software. It is relentless call taking and talking its hard to catch a break.
Overall a good job. Some job security concerns as people are let go. Poor work life balance. It is a 7 day a week job, even on holidays you are not really off work.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
Long Hours
I enjoyed my years with Recipe Unlimited and regret my choice to move on. They created a very good working environment that you felt appreciated and valued. Quality of life and work balance was always in check and Leadership lead by example.
100% recommend working there great people great atmosphere amazing team. amazing managers. kitchen staff were the best, front of house was friendly. glad i met the people i did working there
Pros
generous manager
Cons
little unorganized
overall it was a great experience with many years of personal and professional growth with this company. inconsistent culture within the workplace environment ranging from fun, collaborative and productive to challenging, uninspiring and stressful.
The company really knows how to take care of there employees. The training and motivation for customer excellence is high priority. It was my honor and privilege to work for them.
Provided enough hours to make a full pay check but tip outs were quite small for the volume of the store. Bully tactics providing an uncomfortable environment to work. To conclude if you fit in great! If not, tough luck. Quite disgusting overall so my rating is an honest 3/5. Cons involving poor communication, tip out, and favoritism.
Management was horrible to myself and others. Hard work goes unnoticed, and if you make a tiny mistake all h*** will break loose. Kevin Proctor is the GM and owner and he’s a psychotic condescending pr**k. He’s verbally abusive. STAY AWAY.
Also, the girls there besides a couple are the most catty, cliquey ppl ever. Just a very toxic environment. I let the area manager know everything and nothing ever happened or came about the situation.
The low level employees are nice in IT, but the issue is the management and directors. The management show favouritism and Childish like actions to the employees which causes work to be extremely fustrating. The supervisor used to be an IT service desk agent before and has no idea how to do any type of change management or train anything in IT in general. He is definitely one of the reasons for the high turnover in that department.

There is No chance of progress if you are a service desk agent and if you are a really good employee they will squash all your chances of moving to better departments.

Aside from that and the poor competitive pay, the rest of head office is great, people are friendly, its just a death trap in the IT area.
Management has zero ideas of who is productive and who is there to kiss their rears.

Haven't spent a single dime in any of their brands since the day I left.

Horrible place for star employees.
It's a good job for experience and meeting other people. Very laid back except during the rush hours and festive times. Great secondary job if u have a primary job already.
Poor management. HR not helpful at all.
To much work load. Zero respect for junior employees. No appreciation for your effort. No job security.

Not enough chance to move forward your career.
Was not a good place to work, didn't pay me what they should have, some co workers were rude, not organized, worked overtime without overtime pay, worked more hours then a oart time worker should a week
Toxic, horribly managed place. Just the amount of downright childish things experienced on a day to day basis from fellow staff and management was insane. Rampant favouritism in scheduling and advancements, employee theft, cliquey in group and out group and just and overall level of toxicity I've never experienced in such a low skilled job.

Management was disorganized and incapable, and corporate had no plan from open, including the bright idea to not implement a marketing plan.

They're not interested in ideas, or improvement just workers to work under their misguide business objectives. Avoid at all costs.
The management, specifically Guest services, is horrendous. Childish gossip, in plain view of their employees, vindictive and unprofessional "review" system which is basically used to constantly beat you down. Preferential treatment for some people, different rules apply to different people. We got verbally abused, threatened on the phones, social media, and via email and we were just told essentially to "deal with it". When we get friendly with customers on the phone, regardless if they give us a good review for being friendly and helpful, making small banter, we get chastised (Someone actually got fired for this)

Trying to be productive and give feedback to management makes you a negative person, and God forbid you should question their decisions or offer a better solution. They essentially are a group of "mean girls" who talk about employees, make snide and rude comments and believe they are truly untouchable. When other departments came to visit, we did not exist.

Favoritism is blatant. No eating at desks, unless they like you. No coming in late, unless they like you. Constantly be ready to take phone calls (It is a call centre after all), unless they like you. The list goes on.

When talking about raises, we have to jump through hurdles to get them. Dependent on performance and punctuality is fine, but the added, abstract metric of "paying attention during meetings" seems to be an ambiguous goal at best.

We get no benefits, even though some of us work 40 hours. We get to know what our next schedule is on a week by week basis. If we can't make a shift, its on
 - more...
90% of your day will consist of dealing with negativity and complaints via email, phone, chat, social media and reviews. It can be very taxing on your mental health. They can be flexible with scheduling but bottom line they create the schedule to fit their business needs and if you’re scheduled during a class that’s tough luck as they work to meet their needs not yours. Sense of favouritism in the department and lack of recognition for the work you do. Strong divide between salaried and hourly workers where the company will have events only for salaried workers.
Pros
coworkers are great, office environment
Cons
Not having the resources to answer questions for the several brands they deal with
I have been with cara for over 10 years. I have established a great sense of responsibility and respect for my co workers and surrounding customers. I always have a positive and outgoing personality and will continue to serve and please my guests with respect and honesty. I look forward to furthering my career and utilizing my skills to the the best of my ability.
The staff are extremely unpleasant, the call centre manager is also extremely rude. There is no regard for staff, the environment is toxic, I hated going there everyday.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Recipe Unlimited Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.