Realterm Energy

Realterm Energy Employee Reviews

Canada14 reviews
No respect and real appreciation from senior management. Culture of blame. Unrealistic expectations and workload.
No real support from HR. As a consequence 8 people resigned within the last year ( for a company of less than 50 people this speaks louder than anything else).

People are afraid to speak up as they see how those who stand up for themselves are treated and blamed for bad decisions by management.
Pros
Most employees are nice and hardworkers.Downtown location, free snacks
Cons
Toxic work environment mainly created by senior management, Lack of profesionalism by senior management.
This company is looking to hire people on contracts with no benefits and below market salaries and if they hire on a full time bases expect to be fired in the first three months. Outdated systems, unprofessional environment, stressful and unorganized.
You would imagine that a small company of about 40 people would foster a sense of belonging, of “family” but this place is one toxic work environment. Upper Management is the root cause of the problem and is the main reason why more than a dozen people have either left on their own or got fired in the past year. When I say left on their own, I mean some of these employees had many years of experience in the company but were underhandedly pushed out. If this is a first job then you may be able to handle it (and unfortunately not gain experience at a decent company) but if you are an experienced professional then it may be harder to deal with the company culture and/or upper management ways because you’ll have a point of comparison. I have never witnessed such psychological abuse in a workplace by different Directors/Managers. It’s the culture here. There is no sense of trust, you are guilty until proven innocent. More often than not the merit of being a good employee is absent here. Staying at the office for more than the required 40-hr work week, even if not actually busy, means more than hard work/efficiency. Colleagues are nice and pleasant to work with but you can feel most being weighed down by pressure and many are under appreciated.
Upper management is unprofessional and unqualified, they have no knowledge in engineering or management. You will be asked to work overtime and you will need to show that you are working even if you are not working
Cons
Long hours, childish and unqualified management
A culture of overwork, I was told that I didn’t have too much work as I wasn’t visibly seen in the office 12 hours each day. A lack of consistent direction and goal posts often shifting. Tasks that were urgent one week were then completed but not used for weeks. Any attempt to raise this with management was met with anger. A lack of trust from management that you know how to do your job and will try your best to complete your job to the highest standard. Micromanagement abounds. No company credit card exists for booking travel/flights/rental car/hotel so employees must spend a large sum of money up front which is later reimbursed. At the end of my employment I was owed almost $3000 in expenses.
Try to find another company to work for, this is an outdated company with an incompetent management that expect you to work overtime without pay and answer your personal phone 24/7.

Once the manager called me after work hours to talk about office gossip. very immature upper management.
Great colleagues who are all made miserable by management. Three sackings in four months (only ~30 people in total, so a high %).

Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Lack of Clear Direction, Distrust of Staff by Management, Culture of Overwork
RTE is fast-paced environment and provides exposure to a wide array of tasks and challenges. It's a great place to grow from a professional point of view. The company fosters training and a strong team spirit.
Pros
Free snacks, monthly 5-7, social committee events.
Cons
Workload can be challenging.
This is a hard-working environment with very nice people who are focused to a high quality of work. This is niche industry which is on large demand, it is past paced with frequent development, making it a great place to grow, especially if you desire to lead. Company strives to be on the head of market, and thus it is under constant self-improvement, both internally and externally.
I think what I enjoy the most is the people, everybody is very decent, dedicated, and kind, all with diverse backgrounds!
Pros
Free snacks, downtown location
Cons
Crush times for certain deadlines
I find working at RTE a tough but growing experience.
RTE is a demanding company in terms of having High Quality standards which are understood from the point of view what is demanded by the Industry.

Having also the opportunity of working on the US and Canadian Utility markets poses a challenge but enriching experience.

Standards and demands are high in this company but if approached with the right attitude and effort you can easily get recognized and appreciated by the senior staff.

In Sum: working here is not easy but the rewards of putting up the high quality demands the company has are undoubtedly endless.
Pros
Downtown MTL offices, great staff, amazing communication
Realterm Energy offers a very dynamic and challenging environment. It's a great school - if you want to roll up your sleeves, work hard and learn while challenging the status quo, you will be recognized for your efforts both by your colleagues and senior management.

Convenient location right downtown Montreal and fun environment with monthly happy hours, team building events, etc. Young and friendly team - you can learn something from every person.
Pros
Team, Learning opportunities, Compensation
If you are looking for "Sky is the limit" type of place, and you like the challenge, then this is a great place for you. You will be surrounded by very skilled and professionals with lots of experience in the industry.
Pros
Snacks, Summer Hours, Social Activities
Cons
Crunch time
Not recommended to anyone. I have no comments about this company. I don't want to give any false impression to anyone.
Employee are under pressure and no one values their jobs.
Benefits of working for a small company is that your voice is heard and you get to learn many different things as opposed to being assigned specific tasks. If you like challenge or be challenged this place is for you.