Play YouTube video button

RBC Employee Reviews in Calgary, AB

Found 75 reviews matching the search See all 3,446 reviews
Steady
Junior Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2019
supportive environment with great human diversity. great stability, satisfaction, achievable job metrics, and benefits. strong opportunity to diversify job positions.
Great colleagues
Associate, Oil Trading (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2019
Great support in helping people new to the industry expand their capabilities and become beneficial team members.

At times the business can move a little slowly, but for the most part great place.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Can be slow at times
Great place to work as long as they've fixed their management style
FINANCIAL PLANNER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2019
I worked successfully with rbc for 13 years until a major shift in management style changed my perspective.
Ho took out key admin/mgmt support at branch level, replaced these key people with unqualified personnel, then because of their focus on sales vs service, essentially pushed out qualified, tenured staff.
They forced early retirement, without pensions, all in the name of the dollar instead of their clients and staff
Pros
"Free" financial advice
Cons
Bad management at branch lever
Things have changed
Senior Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2019
RBC used to be a greater company to work at and now I feel like It’s a very toxic, and emotional and mentally abusive place to work.
My pay was cut by 25k in 2 years.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
So many
High-effort work, with little career advancement.
Client Advisor Co-op Fall 2018 (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 December 2018
Job Work/Life Balance:
I worked full-time, 37.5 hours a week. Excellent life balance, and was able to work a part-time job in the meantime.

Biggest issue would be angry customers who place all their hate towards RBC onto you.

Salary/Benefits:
As a co-op student I was exempt from most benefits. My salary was decent for a student job however.

Job Security/Advancement:
Nearly impossible as a co-op student. No way to prolong your work contract. Advancing to other roles does require investing time towards getting your CSC or IFIC course and meeting set sales objectives.

Management:
Decent overall.

Job Culture:
I liked the people I worked with, though job culture seemed a bit superficial.
All about sales - Low staff morale - Employees are just a number
Business Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 November 2018
I worked for RBC for over 10 years in many capacities - management and otherwise. Over the last few years, they have drastically moved away from a client first focus and employee retention. They hire "managers" not leaders that have little to no experience. Staff morale is very low along with salary. They claim they are inclusive and promote family/work balance but they don't. They are only concerned about stock prices and making shareholders happy. I met a lot of wonderful people but throughout all of my years, never had an amazing leader that fully supported their team members for fear of repercussions. Onboarding and training has also gone downhill. They are unaware how much certain employees invest in to their jobs and sacrifice in their personal lives nor do they seem to care. Mental health is a topic they "promote" but don't actually implement or discuss with their employees. It is intensely political and doing an excellent job is not enough. People with so much passion and love for their jobs are leaving at a rapid pace.
Pros
Benefits, clean work environment, job stability
Cons
Low morale, salary is not competitive, poor training and on boarding, slow role progression
Rbc
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 November 2018
This was a good learning experience. The work was stressful at times with all the targets and deadlines but ok place to work if you like finance and like to work independently.
The good, the bad, and the....
Manager, Client Credit Support (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2018
I will not be lengthy but honest when I say that, like every corporate environment in an organization of the size of RBC, I have found and anecdotally verified that the 'politics', red tape and hypocrisy is the worst in this company. That said, I have no fear of losing my job, or of my salary not being paid in full and on time, or of my employer going out of business. This is a large, strong, stable company with a long history of success and growth but it has not done right by me for many years!
Pros
stability;
Hardest part of this job
Private Banking Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2018
The hardest part of the job is the timing of the demands from customers were not controllable. Sometimes there were too many tasks required to be accomplished before the end of the day and I just did not have enough time to finish it.
Pros
Challenges
Cons
Not able to achieve goals
Great company values and made some great friends at RBC
Group Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 September 2018
I worked in the Group Insurance and I quoted prices for Company Benefits for Disability, LIfe and Critical Illness Insurance. I also assited the Plan Administrators with any questions or issues they had with their Benefit Plans. I also supported the Sales Associates with any quotes or changes required.
Hardest part of my job was trying to multi task as there were quite a few different aspects to the role. I also had to present for certain companies, the type of benefits they had and at times their were over 100 employees. I was getting better and improving on my public speaking abilities and felt I had improved quite a bit.
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping a client with any questions and ensuring that each client had the best coverage for their employees.
Review on Client Advisor Position
SENIOR CLIENT ADVISOR & CASH OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2018
RBC is a great company to work for! Very secure and the possibility of moving up is there if you work hard for it. Client advisor roll is very difficult. You get all types of clients in and have to know what to say and what to do on the spot. There is a lot of pressure to ensure you are navigating to the correct partners, and making sales on the line.
Exciting
Client Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 September 2018
A typical day involves finding out financial needs of diverse clients and helping them achieve their financial goal. All in a tight deadline.
Great workplace culture.
Productive and fun workplace
Banking Advisor (Full time) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2018
My typical day at work as Banking Advisor includes taking care all the banking needs of clients. This includes account openings, investments, estate planning, business accounts, credit requirements, mortgages, advanced credit etc.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
less salaries
Disliked it very much
ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 August 2018
I always wanted to work for RBC but once I did I disliked it more than any job. Management was very intense on sales and making sure we are upgrading people’s accounts and asking about their money. It was a very uncomfortable environment and they have very high expectations for the low wage you get. I felt constantly worried about job security.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Poor work environment, poor management, low pay, high expectations
Great place to work but...
Banking Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 August 2018
Great place to work if you are in the financial sector. Only issue which I haven't experienced but only heard is people not happy that new intakes from other FIs get paid more than existing staff. So it is more beneficial to move from another bank to RBC than grow within the organization.
Pros
Stability and security
Cons
Growth for existing staff is not very easy.
Review of RBC
Client Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 August 2018
Not a good place to work. Poor work culture focused on aggressive selling to impatient customers who are not interested and just want to finish their banking.
good for work life balance...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 August 2018
Good if you have a family, or other priorities. The salary is VERY low, but I guess the job security is good and almost impossible to do extra hours for lower ranked jobs. Lots of politics, not sure how people get promoted but it looks like it comes a lot from who you know more than on results.
Pros
Work-life balance, job security
Cons
low wage, not so great benefits
Great People
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2018
Great place to learn about the banking industry and start a career in the field. Being with a large bank gives exposure to the wide range of banking activities.
My office for the last 25 years
Sr. Equipment Finance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 March 2018
I love working for this organization. This has been a place that i have learned how to be a service expert to my clients and have had a fantastic time in their employ. This is a very ethical place to work.
Great culture, high-pressure industry
Banking Advisor Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2018
If you are interested in the banking industry, RBC is a fantastic place to work. RBC lives up to its values and supports its employees with work-life balance and career advancement. Employees in many areas are held to sales targets and you must be comfortable meeting these targets when serving clients in order to succeed.
Pros
Opportunity for career advancement, benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RBC. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K