RBC Employee Reviews

Found 2,251 reviews matching the search See all 2,974 reviews
High-effort work, with little career advancement.
Client Advisor Co-op Fall 2018 (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 December 2018
Job Work/Life Balance:
I worked full-time, 37.5 hours a week. Excellent life balance, and was able to work a part-time job in the meantime.

Biggest issue would be angry customers who place all their hate towards RBC onto you.

Salary/Benefits:
As a co-op student I was exempt from most benefits. My salary was decent for a student job however.

Job Security/Advancement:
Nearly impossible as a co-op student. No way to prolong your work contract. Advancing to other roles does require investing time towards getting your CSC or IFIC course and meeting set sales objectives.

Management:
Decent overall.

Job Culture:
I liked the people I worked with, though job culture seemed a bit superficial.
High pressure to reach increasing sales targets
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 December 2018
Increasing pressure to sell every financial product offered by organization to every client to meet higher and higher sales targets. Salary low in relation to expected knowledge, responsibilities and target quotas for new business acquisition. workplace culture is one of competition among peers. Management focus on aggressive sale of products. Learned a lot about bank products; credit adjudication and risk management. Also acquired strong interpersonal and communication skills. Hardest part of the job was meeting and exceeding ever increasing and sometimes unrealistic sales quotas, while dealing with fierce competition among peers for the same clients. The most enjoyable part of the job was using the knowledge I was taught to educate a wide variety of client across cultural and financial backgrounds.
Pros
Company Benifts; access to financial knowledge
Cons
everyman for themselves culture; high pressure and stress
Stepping-stone for another job
Client Advisor (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON23 July 2018
Good, low pay, entry level job.
Of course there are opportunities for advancement, but even then, financial compensation is very low. Do not come in to this job expecting to make a lot of money, unless of course you are in it for a very long time, and can put up with poor pay until you receive a decent salary. Will need MULTIPLE promotions (which doesn't happen fast), in order to reach even a $45,000 salary.

All sales oriented to advance. A lot of pressure from management to reach sales goals, with VERY little incentive to sell. Clean atmosphere, people are very rude because it is a retail banking position, and the clients are WELL AWARE that they are being profited off of, and do not like that feeling.

Did not learn much at this position. You do not learn about finances, but simply bank processes, which is not interesting, vital, or relevant for day to day like.

Management is hit or miss.
Pros
Clean environment, steady hours
Cons
No-very little perks, poor pay
Call Center position with daily quotas
Investment Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 August 2018
Required to be on the phone using an auto-dialer to contact clients. Must be on the phone for the entire shift. Would average contacting 110 clients over 7:15 min shift (8 hrs less breaks). Breaks are scheduled with no leeway. Often the campaigns we would call on would not be investment related (i.e. about chequing accounts) although our job titles and description clearly detailed our knowledge of investments. Management was difficult and did not promote career advancement. The culture was terrible with extremely high turnover rates.
It was good until after 2015
Mortgage Closing Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2018
I worked with RBC for 15 years in various positions working my way up from customer service (I was laid off in 2016). It was a wonderful place to work for, however, after 2015, there was a huge decline in moral and culture due more demands of all staff at all levels.

More work pushed onto staff after layoffs, new tracking systems added in place with extremely high expectations that are basically impossible to meet, and therefore reducing or removing your year end bonus entirely. I still keep in contact with some employee's. They're so stressed. Some old friends have had to take leave of absences or have ended up on medication due to the side affects of stress and anxiety. The new motto is, Blood From A Stone.
Pros
Cons
Extremely stressful
Senior Trade Floor Technical Analyst
Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2018
Arrive early, walk the Trade Floor and talk with clients about needs and small talk, continually develop client relationship

I strive to learn something about my job or my environment everyday, I enjoy building relationships with clients and colleagues.

Management is very important, I believe it's a manager responsibility to get every member of there team performing at an optimal level and do everything they can to help facilitate this.

The hardest part of the job is getting all the teams working together to satisfy client requests

I enjoy learning something new everyday, no matter what it is, could be about my job or about the industry as a whole.
Pros
I've learned how to Invest my own money
Cons
Compensation, don't think we are compensated for what we do and are exposed too.
All about sales - Low staff morale - Employees are just a number
Business Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 November 2018
I worked for RBC for over 10 years in many capacities - management and otherwise. Over the last few years, they have drastically moved away from a client first focus and employee retention. They hire "managers" not leaders that have little to no experience. Staff morale is very low along with salary. They claim they are inclusive and promote family/work balance but they don't. They are only concerned about stock prices and making shareholders happy. I met a lot of wonderful people but throughout all of my years, never had an amazing leader that fully supported their team members for fear of repercussions. Onboarding and training has also gone downhill. They are unaware how much certain employees invest in to their jobs and sacrifice in their personal lives nor do they seem to care. Mental health is a topic they "promote" but don't actually implement or discuss with their employees. It is intensely political and doing an excellent job is not enough. People with so much passion and love for their jobs are leaving at a rapid pace.
Pros
Benefits, clean work environment, job stability
Cons
Low morale, salary is not competitive, poor training and on boarding, slow role progression
Good chance to advance if manager likes you.
Account Manager Mutual Funds Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 December 2018
Working at RBC is nice, the people are nice and the culture is good. Managers can make it or break it for you. Certain managers will roadblock you regardless of how hard you work. It's the same as any other bank.
Clients can be terrible at times but very sweet also. They will treat you like you are nothing and you have to learn to endure.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
good for work life balance...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 August 2018
Good if you have a family, or other priorities. The salary is VERY low, but I guess the job security is good and almost impossible to do extra hours for lower ranked jobs. Lots of politics, not sure how people get promoted but it looks like it comes a lot from who you know more than on results.
Pros
Work-life balance, job security
Cons
low wage, not so great benefits
The good, the bad, and the....
Manager, Client Credit Support (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2018
I will not be lengthy but honest when I say that, like every corporate environment in an organization of the size of RBC, I have found and anecdotally verified that the 'politics', red tape and hypocrisy is the worst in this company. That said, I have no fear of losing my job, or of my salary not being paid in full and on time, or of my employer going out of business. This is a large, strong, stable company with a long history of success and growth but it has not done right by me for many years!
Pros
stability;
Professional workplace
Expert Client Advisor - Canada (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2018
At RBC the culture is great, however some managers are terrible. Their attitudes and ego gets in the way of you having a good day. The salary is terrible and you WILL work over time with no pay and no recognition. If you do not product push, they will shadow you until you start sales pitching to clients. You are rated based on your sales.
Pros
Good career if patient, moving up
Cons
no recognition
Stability but your payed poorly
Sales and service representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 November 2018
RBC has stability, great benefits and pretty good with work life balance. Overall it’s a great company to work for. Sadly, the pay is low. We don’t get raises. Other institutions get payed more... that’s a fact. RBC makes billions yet they pay there staff so poorly. It’s quit sad
Pros
Stability, benefits, people
Cons
Low pay
Not a fun place to work, a lot of politics if you want to move up and low pay with excessive work
Operations Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2018
If you are like a robot you will do well here. Pay is much lower than other companies. They are always trying to cut costs. Job is repetitive. Although you are entitled to a 1 hour lunch and 2 fifteen minute breaks the work can be so excessive that you don't have time to finish your work or you stay long hours without overtime pay.
Pros
retirement benefits are good even though pay sucks
Cons
long hours, pay is very low compare to other companies, they hire relatives and friends regardless if you have the proper skills
Productive and with opportunities for advancement
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ON2 August 2018
Worked there for a year at a branch in Bradford, ON where most of my time there was spent on training and completing modules with some hands on training. Management was great and the culture was amazing as well. Most enjoyable part was the interaction with customers and the hardest part was the commute up north.
Pros
room and encouragement for advancement
Cons
Small branch in a small town was difficult to reach targets
Good workplace with great people and management
Bilingual Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  1 Place Ville Marie22 November 2018
Every morning I open my work basket where I receive right faxes from dealerships and I complete them. Then I work on carts (Client Request Tool Action) I do service operations for the clients. The demands vary a lot , they could be payouts, payments, closures, etc.
I learned to work with financial products such as loans and mortgages which provided me important work experience. What I like the most about the job is the people that surround me , they are positive and always willing to help.
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
No benefits
Strong company with heritage
System Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 October 2018
Strong company with good benefits and work life balance. Been over 23 years since I worked there so not sure about the change in culture or structure.
Pros
Like other banks, good work life balance
Cons
like other banks, silos working together sometimes time consuming.
the best among top 5 canadian banks
Middleware specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 October 2018
RBC is truly the best among top 5 canadian banks, from either compensation, personal career, or culture perspective. Especially in IT, many managers and leads have grown up from front-line teams and understand and respect the value of true workers there
Good people, tough hours and very high expectations.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  British Columbia13 July 2018
As a Branch Manager expect to work serious hours to maintain and grow your Branch and Team.

There are many opportunities within the Bank however if you are an average employee starting out only professional development and hard hard work will get you any opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Fair Salary and Benefits package
Cons
Extemely long work days if you expect to advance in Branch Management or beyond
Financial Advisor - In-Charge (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 November 2018
The management team at RBC works closely with their advisor and provide assistance in meeting their mandates. Whether it be through coaching, peer review or job monitoring, management makes sure that advisors are aware of their performance and given the opportunity to excel. RBC understands that their image and mission statement is portrayed by their staff, and builds a culture the does not shy away from excellence in order to be their client's first choice.
Pros
Social club
Cons
Short breaks
IT Audit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2018
Great organization if you enjoy learning, lots of horizontal movement possible into other departments. Great pay and benefits structure as you would predict from a major financial institution.Some departments have different work life balances, and it is clearly evident.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Poor work life balance and management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RBC. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K