Ray of Hope

• Inclusive work environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility

stressful yet rewarding

ray of hope is a good place to start off for university and college graduates that have little real world experience. it provides people with a good stepping stone work place

Pros

meals provided

Cons

Pretty good place to work

I was a youth program participant at Ray of Hope. Overall it was great. Would recommend to a friend. I had a good experience here and if you want to apply here I strongly recommend.

Pros

Supportive kind boss, great coworkers

Cons

Homeless people at the temporary shelter made me uncomfortable

Youth Worker

If you are looking for a stepping stone to get into policing or a related field and are able to stomach working in a high stress environment, wages that barely cover the cost of living, and immature staff who act like they are in grade 9 then this is the place for you. If you are looking to make a difference I would highly recommend applying to open-custody as they have better wages and less stressful working environment.

Pros

some supportive staff depending on how long they last

Not Worth It

From my experience, Ray of Hope is a place to gain some experience and leave quickly. The management is skilled in pretending to care about needs and issues, but there are so many internal flaws and inflated egos - especially with upper management. You will not be given space to advance and you will not be supported in your role. There's a very high turnover rate, and even those who have volunteered there for a long time and devoted many years aren't regarded as valuable. The volunteer management team is jaded, distanced, and very cold. Not the type of employees/employers you would expect to work at a faith-based centre as they have zero compassion or warmth for anyone in that building (the guests - I.e. homeless people, the volunteers, or the general staff at different levels). Leaving was my only good choice here.

Pros

Getting to know the downtown community

Cons

No support, lots of judgement, the staff are all very fake

Great experience with patrons. Management lacking

At the community centre, there is not a lot of guidance for volunteers on what to do in situations that could be potentially harmful or result in negative outcomes. Most of the floor supervisors at the community centre are concerned with their social life with the volunteers and students. Higher management frowns on serving people after designated meal times even if they have a legitimate reason. No accommodations made for special diets, allergies, etc. If you try to do otherwise, you are accused of “favouritism” meanwhile most of the floor supervisors do this anyways and face no consequence. The volunteer screening is poor. The training manual is poor. Volunteers don’t realize this is the front line and they are walking alongside people who inject drugs merely feet away from them in the bathrooms. They have no idea there is drug deals, overdoses, and people with severe mental health challenges. I’ve seen ill-prepared, ill-informed volunteers cringe and scoff at some of the goings on. They have no idea how to react or what to do. Upper management needs to spend more time on the floor to actually see what is happening. I’m sure all the stakeholders, key informants, and financial supporters have no idea the bathrooms there are basically injection sites. Not even safe ones at that. The community centre has such potential and does so many great things, unfortunately, it’s held back by inflated egos, poor decision making, and seat warmers.

Pros

Good experience with patrons

Cons

Poor management

great place to gain experience

A great place to gain experience for individuals looking to go into a career in policing or corrections. Management is lacking in certain locations however the coworkers make up for it.

Pros

Experience

Cons

high turnover

awesome

was a great experience volunteering here, very well coordinated and went very smoothly each time I have helped served meals here. would love to come back and help again!

Diverse and Fun

I enjoyed working at Ray of Hope. It provides a diverse work environment with a focus on helping newly arrived refugees receive housing and stability in Canada. I learned a lot about the refugee system and what they have to go through to receive status. I worked in a very small team, which was a cool experience. The hardest part of the job for me was feeling useful. I was the youngest on the team and had no prior education or knowledge of the refugee process, so although I learned a lot, I struggled to feel as though I could really contribute. However, I loved the challenge and came to really respect and enjoy the people living at Welcome Home.

Productive and friendly

Loved working with different people and finding new things about them. Always loved in meeting new people and to discuss about their life and encourage one another.

Pros

Long Hours

Cons

Too crowded

Fast paced and constantly changing clientele

A typical day saw me monitoring the residents within the Secure Custody for Young Offenders. My position as a direct child care worker had me completing various responsibilities through out my shift. I always had the pleasure of having constant training to better myself in my roles. Management was always assisting, encouraging , and directing me when needed. Co-workers were awesome and fun to work with in a team fostered environment. The hardest part of the job was physically restraining youth when needed, not because I wasn't properly trained but because of the emotional frustration the youths had. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was the constant interacting with the youth.

Pros

Awesome co-workers, great training, supportive management.

Cons

bad food !

Typical Volunteer Shift

Volunteering consists of interacting with any person who wishes to drop in at the community center that day. It is entirely optional, but i have become familiar with the regulars. I assist them with doing their laundry, allowing them to have showers, administering them food tickets and supplying them with coffee and treats. I also interact with them on a friendship and caring level. This consists of simply just chatting, or playing board games, cards, pool, etc. This is a very rewarding position as it allows me to interact with people I might not have otherwise.

fantastic

Great for volunteering! Love to work there and see more of the community and what goes on. Experiences can be great or sometimes uncomfortable but always allow you to grow as a person.

Overall good Company

A typical work day is structured but room for ideas of your own. I have learned alot working for Ray of Hope such as time managment and working with many different people from mental health and addictions to youth in conflict with the law. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people and clients I work with; managment is very supportive.

Fun Work place and Meet alot of New friends

I was extremely skilled at putting together traditional dishes with many satisfied customers. I would always doing Daily operation of various kitchen tools and machinery. It was a fun seasonal experience and i would love to do it again when given the Chance.

Pros

lot of fun and friendly staff

Cons

dont have one at this point in time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ray of Hope. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5Job security/advancement