Rakuten Kobo Inc.

Rakuten Kobo Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada27 reviews
I had a great time working with everybody at the company. There might have been some slight misunderstandings but in the end it was all good. Having dogs at work was a huge plus for most of my colleageus.
Great for fresh grads, lots of snacks, immature management, great perks, close to public transit, good learning environment for developers, decisions are ordered without transparency or discussion.
A great great place for people who love books and tech. Rakuten Kobo offers employees international work experience. All employees get free eBooks and audiobooks.
As a start up the company had excellent management and culture but after the sale to Rakuten they lost many of the key people that made up the core of what Kobo was
Kobo is a great place to work. Perfect work life balance with helping people around. Things are flexible, you don't have to work on hard deadlines.....
Relaxed and fun environment
Learned about Campaigns and marketing

Great team and very helpful

The hardest part of the job was managers were not so friendly
Pros
free lunches, snacks, happy hour
Cons
no job security, management could be better
Comment – 3 December 2018
We are delighted that you found Rakuten Kobo to be a great place to work with a relaxed and fun environment, as well as a helpful team. At Rakuten Kobo, we strive to ensure that our employees are happy through a number of social activities, engaging work, with a fun work environment, and we are glad to see that you got to experience this.
Good place to work. Requires a lot of after hours work in the customer service field. You need to ensure that you are self motivated as there is limited contact with your direct manager.
Comment – 3 December 2018
We appreciate the time you took to write this review. With millions of users around the world, Rakuten Kobo employees work hard to ensure that the needs and expectations of our customers are met. This sometimes requires long hours, but we look to find a balance by facilitating a number of fun social activities and perks for our employees to reward them and help them unwind.
Great place to work, learn and grow. Culture was amazing and they really believed in there employees. Was a startup in 2009 and have really grown. Truly believe in the company.
Comment – 3 December 2018
Thank you for taking the time to review Rakuten Kobo and to tell others how great our company is! We are pleased to hear that you found Rakuten Kobo to be a great place to work, learn, and grow, and that you had an overall positive experience while working with us.
Kobo Inc. gives a very good platform to apply to knowledge and learn more while being productive. The work culture at Kobo Inc. is extremely cool and provides an excellent work life balance.
Pros
Work Life balance
Comment – 3 December 2018
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience of working at Rakuten Kobo. We are happy to hear that you were able to apply your knowledge while working as a Functional Analyst, and that you felt an excellent work life balance. Our employees are what makes our company great, and we are happy that you got to experience our work culture.
Great multicultural Company with great corporate culture. The time I worked there all the android team were very helpful, Many things to learn, great organisation.
Pros
many perks
Comment – 3 December 2018
We are delighted to hear that you a positive experience working with Rakuten Kobo, and that your team was helpful! Thank you for taking the time to write this review and to share your experiences with us.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Rakuten Kobo Inc.?
there aren't many choices in Canada and Rakuten Kobo is one of the best choices you can land on to in high tech industry
Resolves product or service problems by clarifying the customer's complaint, determining the cause of the problem,and explaining the best solution to solve the problem by correction or adjustment. following up to ensure resolution.Learned how to multitask and meet deadlines.
Pros
Family oriented
Cons
Deadlines
Fast moving start up with focus on growing the business and brand recognition.

Multinational experience representing 16 languages and 3 channels of support.
Pros
People
Cons
I would not recommend this workplace to anyone I know. The most enjoyable part of this job was when I clocked out to go home for the day (although I usually left with a huge headache that would go away as soon as I left the building).
Pros
pay is decent
Cons
no growth
Great set of coworkers who are extremely bright and talented. Open work environment fosters cross collaboration of different disciplines.
Kobo is a very exciting company to work with. The management team is very open-minded in term of new ideas that can improve productivity. All of teams I have worked with were action-oriented and very flexible. The atmosphere is dynamic and highly-efficient. I will recommend Kobo as a great work place.
Most days I get in early so I can get emails done and be ready for the project team meeting. Work on task given by Team leads, very good management with friendly colleagues .Most enjoyable part of work is to work with team.
a typical day at work: Busy and time flies fast
what you learned: Work hard and play hard

management: Inspiring and Motivational

your co-workers: Professional and friendly

the hardest part of the job: Fast changing environment and full of challenges

the most enjoyable part of the job: Full of excitement and learning new things every day
We could have done very good work at Kobo. Our design team was enthusiastic.

But we were hobbled at every opportunity by a lack of vision from upper layers and on the more immediate level, account and project managers who did not take our needs as designers into account but immediately conceded to any point the internal clients demanded, generally throwing us (the design team) under the bus.

Screaming matches could be heard around the (open concept) offices on a near daily basis. I once had to redo an entire month-long project FOUR TIMES from scratch because the client refused to created a brief, or stick to any of their previous demands, and the studio management would not stand up to them.

The entire team was once told to stay late to redo a project due to a VPs incompetence, and was threatened with firing if anyone left before midnight.

And then there are the yearly mass layoffs.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Everything else
Agile methods allow team to work effectively. Require instant feedback (so less tiers/ process).

As company grows, process grows too. New management roles are often opened or replaced. Lots of room for opportunity for junior level positions in a span of a year.

Difficult part of job are the short deadlines - often have to put in long hours.

Best part is working in team environments, and helping each other meet each others' deadlines. Afterall it is the collective effort that helps QA signoff on the software releases.
Pros
Free lunches/dinners, transport if you work overtime, can work from home
Cons
Very open company. Great experience, learned the fundamentals of testing. very easy to communicate with other coworkers since it is so open. The hardest part would be when we have a big project to work on, and you have to take extra time out of your schedule. The most enjoyable part was that it felt so free.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rakuten Kobo Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
Rakuten Kobo Inc. Reviews by Location