Rail-Term Inc.

Rail-Term Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada11 reviews
IT at Rail Term
I was hired at the beginning of 2018. When I arrived at Rail Term, I got the opportunity to work in a new industry and with some great people (in the IT team itself at least). The IT Director is an awesome boss who values work/life balance and gives the staff lots of leeway to complete work in a liberal but effective manner. I got to learn a lot of new technology because the IT is on point and very much modernized.

Unfortunately, upper management moves at a much slower pace and has a mentality much more archaic than the IT so we ended up delaying or canceling several projects due to decisions from other departments.

There is no room for advancement unless the company expands massively in the future. The job became very monotonous and repetitive once all of the major projects were completed.
Pros
Work/Life balance, paid mobile phone, on call time bank
Cons
The parking lot is a field of mud/dust, noise from the trucks and airplanes nearby, upper management
Productive group of "workers"
Focused and fun group of workers.
Management could use some replacing, very unprofessional.

Learned about importance of safety in work environment.

Hardest part of the job is learning to cope with working overtime, 10+ hours a week.
Benefits
Cons
Unpredictable overtime hours
Overall, good company
I really like working here. The hours are flexible as long as I get my job done. Salary is very good. I get along with most of the people here. Like every company, there are some bad apples, but that's to be expected.
Pros
salary, flexibility
Good place to work with a decent balance between work and family.
If you are looking for a career where you can find a good balance between family and work come to Railterms track or signal department. Yes it is still railroading and you will be on call and required to work some nights and weekends but unlike the larger class 1 railways you will not be “just a number”. You will be part af a team that provides a great service to our customers and actually works together to foster a safe workplace with a positive culture.
The owners are good honest people who care about keeping us safe and happy and strongly support a Q4 management team that works together fairly well.

The pay and benefits (iPhone included) are good. There is more than ample opportunities for personal development and career advancement. Overall we are a group of hard working people proud to be railroaders. Awesome place to work!!
Pros
Good culture, good people, iPhone, flexible management.
Cons
Sometimes long hours weekends.
The Work is good
Management wants to micro manage and hold u to the rules but break the rules to work in their favour .
They make their on laws that work for them , don’t care about the workers till this day they can’t keep the ones that’s there no accommodations and it’s just about them it’s a company that is running very cheap and workers are under paid
Pros
Nothing to say
Cons
More work less pay, no accommodations to workers
high turn over
Lets not kid around, this company is always looking for people......that speaks volumes. Any idiot can figure that out. Unfortunately its not management. I see adds for people all the time at the same locations in Ontario. I think its safe to say this company is a loser. Rail-Term why haven't you?
Pros
Cons
read the posts
Lachine is a death trap.
Since you are a contractor, it is CP over railterm employees. The atmosphere is extremely toxic because CP bosses want you fired and your supervisor only wants to impress CP. The turn over rate is extremely high because the pay is decent for new drivers, but the stress is too high.
Pros
Brain dead job.
Cons
24/7 job.
No work life balance
Working at a Railterm as a signal maintainer I experienced a toxic work culture. Railterm does not hold its employees in high standing, they do not care about life outside of work and expect blood sweat and tears.

The compensation is far below the industry standard and the company makes no effort to provide for their employees, this is accurately represented in the high turn over rate.
Pros
Overtime... if you like that
Cons
Overtime mandatory, no support, poor management
Safety is a key factor
Management is very focus on safety and employees are encouraged to bring any concerns. Communication is important for RailTerm.

There is always someone available to support the employee.

We are part of the team more than we feel like we are employee in a company.Very good company to work for.
Pros
Respect
Employer with genuine concern about safety
Holding a position in track maintenance, I must say that RailTerm management is truly concerned about the safety of its workers in the field.

We have frequent safety calls and bulletins issued to address various safety related topics/hazards.

The railway is a high risk industry, but this company puts a lot of efforts in the mitigation of hazards.
Pros
Safety Culture
Cons
Overtime required