Queensway Carleton Hospital
Happiness score is 65 out of 100

Queensway Carleton Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada53 reviews

Fast-paced

Nursing through the pandemic has been very stressful. A lot of senior staff left but QCH still follows CNO/RNAO recommendations for staffing ratios which is unfair and often unsafe, leaving nurses to feel inadequate and risk their nursing license. That being said, the management has been very supportive to newer staff and provide patient care aids and extra nurses to share the workload. Overall, happy with the culture, support and opportunities.

Pros

Culture, support, attrition

Cons

Long hours, overtime, tiny parking spots (lots of scrapes)

Busy work environment, fun co-workers

I love my job, most co-workers are very helpful but there is some backstabbing to watch out for. The atmosphere could be better without crooked management. You have to take the good aspects with the bad, location is perfect & close to home, rate of pay is well above the average.Wish I could get more hours

Insights into Queensway Carleton Hospital

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job

Excellent workplace

Working with the screening team was fast pace, fun, and a supportive environment. Great management that was very helpful and attentive to the needs of the team

Perfect work place

The perfect work place, happy 8 hours working with awesome people very nice management enjoyed everyday every hour with every work order.Very thankful

Registered Nurse

I loved this place to work. I was there almost twenty years and don’t have a complaint. The staff was great, the docs were great, pretty much most people were great. I would recommend this place in a heartbeat.

Pros

Strong team work, good team spirit

Cons

Hours, 12 hour shifts

Professional

A typical day at QCH was doing many administrative tasks such as scheduling meetings, taking minutes of the meeting. The workplace culture was purely professional.

fast paced ER

Staff great to work with from the ward aids,clerical staff to physicians. Good management. Constantly learning every day, never a dull moment. love the computer charting.

Productive and collaborative workplace

Collaborative and striving to improve patient safety through innovative initiatives such as implementing large volume smart infusion pumps, preparing for CPOE and automated dispensing cabinets.

Fun and respectful place to work

A great work environment with co workers who actually love their jobs I would work there again in a heartbeat! Great pay, Clean environment. My favourite place to work!

Okay

Its typical, you learn what they need you to do. Management is the same as everywhere else. It's not hard as long as you do what you're supposed to do.

Diamond in the rough

The first thing you notice about QCH is the culture. The people are phenomenal, and it shows from top to bottom there. People genuinely care about you and your work.

Great place to learn

I spent a month in the ALC unit at the QCH as my first nursing placement and felt it was a good learning environment. The hospital was being renovated and has some great new facilities. It's a great care agency.

Good for patients Not for staff

Sadly staff are taken for granted not recognized for their hard work and commitment. No succession planning. Management is not supportive of staff hiring practices are questionable and people are leaving the organization

Loved it, just cant do the 12 hr rotation nights and days. Very short turn around.

Worked here for 6 yrs + totally stable career. Only problem was 12 hr rotation nights days weekends. Remember to keep work and personal life separate from eachother.

Evs

Enjoy my job here. the Work is constant and the pay is great I enjoy interacting with the patients. Managers are helpful and flexible. Staff is mostly friendly there are the odd few that spoil it but they are everywhere The job is what you make it

Poor management in most areas of the hospital talk down to nurses do not care about patient safety very budget oriented no job security

Difficult place to work. Work/life balance is non existent cannot get time off . Hospital has heavy workload especially on surgical floor never get breaks

Pros

You have a job

Welcoming and happy environment

The days are busy and can sometimes be difficult, but you can guarantee that you always have an incredible and supportive interprofessional team behind you!

Enjoyed my time as a student there and hope to work there in the future

I had a wonderful time at the QCH as a student in the RPN program. Meet many wonderful nurses that were there as well as other staff. Everyone is so good at there job there. The nurses that I worked around were very patient and always will to answer any questions that I needed. The Queensway has wonderful nurses and doctors there.

Had quite a few placements here

It was nice to work here quite a few times for placement. It was great because I was able to familiarize myself with the hospital due to this. Most staff were welcoming and helped me learn quite a bit during my time there.

Nice place to volunteer

- good shifts (once a week) - can make up for your shift if you miss it - coworkers were fun and manager was reasonable - work is quite simple (cash, closing, organize)

Hospital rating

A typical day at work in the Emergency Department is very busy. You will run off your feet all day long. However, that department is not for anyone. I like the pace and the constant flow of patients. The hardest part of the job, is not to be able to provide the best quality of care for your patient on a busy day. Only, because the government "fails" in the resources department.

Pros

friendly co-workers

Cons

rotations with no master

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Queensway Carleton Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement