Queensway Carleton Hospital

Queensway Carleton Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada48 reviews
Collaborative and striving to improve patient safety through innovative initiatives such as implementing large volume smart infusion pumps, preparing for CPOE and automated dispensing cabinets.
A typical day at QCH was doing many administrative tasks such as scheduling meetings, taking minutes of the meeting. The workplace culture was purely professional.
Staff great to work with from the ward aids,clerical staff to physicians. Good management. Constantly learning every day, never a dull moment. love the computer charting.
A great work environment with co workers who actually love their jobs I would work there again in a heartbeat! Great pay, Clean environment. My favourite place to work!
Its typical, you learn what they need you to do. Management is the same as everywhere else. It's not hard as long as you do what you're supposed to do.
The first thing you notice about QCH is the culture. The people are phenomenal, and it shows from top to bottom there. People genuinely care about you and your work.
I spent a month in the ALC unit at the QCH as my first nursing placement and felt it was a good learning environment. The hospital was being renovated and has some great new facilities. It's a great care agency.
Sadly staff are taken for granted not recognized for their hard work and commitment. No succession planning. Management is not supportive of staff hiring practices are questionable and people are leaving the organization
Worked here for 6 yrs + totally stable career. Only problem was 12 hr rotation nights days weekends. Remember to keep work and personal life separate from eachother.
Enjoy my job here. the Work is constant and the pay is great I enjoy interacting with the patients. Managers are helpful and flexible. Staff is mostly friendly there are the odd few that spoil it but they are everywhere The job is what you make it
Difficult place to work. Work/life balance is non existent cannot get time off . Hospital has heavy workload especially on surgical floor never get breaks
Pros
You have a job
The days are busy and can sometimes be difficult, but you can guarantee that you always have an incredible and supportive interprofessional team behind you!
I had a wonderful time at the QCH as a student in the RPN program. Meet many wonderful nurses that were there as well as other staff. Everyone is so good at there job there. The nurses that I worked around were very patient and always will to answer any questions that I needed. The Queensway has wonderful nurses and doctors there.
It was nice to work here quite a few times for placement. It was great because I was able to familiarize myself with the hospital due to this. Most staff were welcoming and helped me learn quite a bit during my time there.
- good shifts (once a week)
- can make up for your shift if you miss it

- coworkers were fun and manager was reasonable

- work is quite simple (cash, closing, organize)
A typical day at work in the Emergency Department is very busy. You will run off your feet all day long. However, that department is not for anyone. I like the pace and the constant flow of patients.
The hardest part of the job, is not to be able to provide the best quality of care for your patient on a busy day. Only, because the government "fails" in the resources department.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
rotations with no master
good student nursing experience and environment. older hospital could use more new equipment.
good work place culture

load of work can be some times heavy
Being a Tuck Cart volunteer was a great way of building skills. I had to make sales, handle money and eventually train new volunteers. I only worked a few hours a week, as I was in school, but the Queensway was very accommodating and offered a good environment. I learned a lot here!
Potential to provide employees with the ability to succeed at work while fulfilling personal needs such as family obligations or educational pursuits.
I learnt a lot from this job and will remeber it for life.Great place for nurses to work.Staff very friendly and managers very cooperative and helpful.
after working in many different hospitals, this was the worst workplace culture I have experienced. The ER has it's cliques/groups and I discovered the meaning of "lateral violence". Saving all the violent pts on a shift for you, etc. It's not worth trading off your personal or professional dignity. Not enough learning or skill as this is not a major trauma hospital. Little to no education offered. Only BLS recert was covered. New hires were not given a regular schedule, just whatever leftover random hours would make up for a full-time set of hours. Not all departments are like this as some staff went to day surg, other depts and were fairly happy there.
Cons
No support