Queensway Carleton Hospital Employee Reviews

student
Registered Practical Nurse Student - Surgery (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 December 2018
good student nursing experience and environment. older hospital could use more new equipment.
good work place culture
load of work can be some times heavy
Great volunteer position!
Tuck Cart Volunteer and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 August 2018
Being a Tuck Cart volunteer was a great way of building skills. I had to make sales, handle money and eventually train new volunteers. I only worked a few hours a week, as I was in school, but the Queensway was very accommodating and offered a good environment. I learned a lot here!
Positive work enviroment
Logistics (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 August 2018
Potential to provide employees with the ability to succeed at work while fulfilling personal needs such as family obligations or educational pursuits.
Great place to work ad learn!!!
RPN (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 June 2018
I learnt a lot from this job and will remeber it for life.Great place for nurses to work.Staff very friendly and managers very cooperative and helpful.
not worth the trade off
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 February 2018
after working in many different hospitals, this was the worst workplace culture I have experienced. The ER has it's cliques/groups and I discovered the meaning of "lateral violence". Saving all the violent pts on a shift for you, etc. It's not worth trading off your personal or professional dignity. Not enough learning or skill as this is not a major trauma hospital. Little to no education offered. Only BLS recert was covered. New hires were not given a regular schedule, just whatever leftover random hours would make up for a full-time set of hours. Not all departments are like this as some staff went to day surg, other depts and were fairly happy there.
Cons
No support
Awful management, no support from “leaders” that have no experience
RN (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 February 2018
Horrible place to work, unless you like being under appreciated, talked to like children by managers, no resources, unmanageable workload and no pay for justified overtime. No breaks, or downtime. Not recommended to start a career in a place like this.

Will hire anyone to work as management as long as they have papers, no experience required.
Pros
Cons
Understaffed, no breaks, no overtime even if not avoidable, managers don’t give much thought about the nurses
The best staff in Ottawa, management issues leave room for improvement
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON2 February 2018
If you can put up with more than most you are an excellent fit for the QCH Emergency department. Patients on their worst days, policies that don't serve you as best they could and the ever constant dissatisfaction with management are the big cons, but the pros are big as well. Great pay, the friendliest and most hardworking nurses, doctors and support staff, and the choice to work 8 or 12 hours a shift, leading to shorter work weeks if needed, or more manageable days if you don't.
Overall I would recommend the QCH to thick skinned employees, and people looking to feel like they helped make a difference in someone's life, an opportunity you get each day at work.
Pros
Staff, Pay
Cons
Stress, low support for staff
It's a hospital
Staff Nurse, Intensive Care Unit (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 February 2018
I work in the ICU which I do enjoy. Our knew manager is great but due to a large staff turnover full and part time staff have a difficult time getting time off for vacation.
A great place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Emergency20 January 2018
A great group of doctors and nurses. The staff at QCH is incredibly inviting and friendly. If you’re looking for a challenging workplace but lots of opportunity QCH is for you, especially the ER
Lots of opportunities
Scheduling Clerk for Ambulatory Care (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 January 2018
You could transfer to a lot of different departments, cover for other employees and learn a lot. It was very busy atmosphere, shift work, call in basis.
again....the same thing
RPN student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 November 2017
I am reviewing my student placement that I completed 5 years ago. there must be some type of edit that can be used to skip this page. this is not acceptable and truly a waste of time
Great nurses to work with
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 May 2017
It is a community hospital, so everybody knows each other. The nurses who work there are trully dedicated to what they do. However, like everywhere they are overworked. The staffing, and nurse to patient ratios could be better.
Unappreciated by all levels of management
RN (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ON27 February 2017
Heavy patient assignments. Support staff unable to help most of the time because of their own work load. Unappreciated by management at all levels. No time off for FT and PT staff, getting vacation is a nightmare.
Positive side is the staff that is working along side of you. Very supportive.
Pros
zero pros
Cons
long hours and heavy workloads
Best summer job.
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 September 2016
My position here was amazing. I got to work outside everyday for great pay and excellent hours. Monday to Thursday leaving me lots of time on the weekends to work elsewhere or to spend time where I like. Very organized and therapeutic.
Pros
Great hours, organized employers, pays well
Positive work environment
RN (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 July 2016
Adequate staffing
Approachable management
Good Team work
Adequate supplies
Good patient satisfaction
Education programs offered
Floor Educator readily available and helpful
Up to date policies
Great plce to work
RPN (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON17 May 2016
QCH is a great place to build skills and learn new things on a daily basis. They have a great team from all departments. I did most of my training at this hospital so it was very nice to be able to work there after with a lot of the people who helped to train me to be the best nurse I can.
Would not recommend institution for employment
Administrative Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ON3 May 2016
Institution not employee focused. Overall mood of employees is constantly negative, complaints of unhappiness from all areas, too many stress leaves from all areas.
Employee concerns or opinions not respected. If you ask too many questions you run the risk of being fired.
Too many employees on modified due to lack of hospital responsibility to administer better standards of work.
Cons
Lack of Respect for all employees by institution executives
Work was important and high level, I enjoyed the experience I gained
Ward Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 February 2016
Helping patients before and after surgery was a blast, definitely enjoyed working at the QCH. Incredible company and a high level job that taught me the importance of getting things right on the first try.
Queensway Review
Aide (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 February 2016
Great overall job. Great pay. Great benefits.

Working at the Hospital you really learn a lot about personal hygiene.
Due to the amount of different germs and viruses throughout the facility you are instructed to be extra cautious with washing your hands and keep from spreading germs.
Pros
Great benefits, great pay
Cons
Casual position. On call
Professional working place where I can grow from work
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 November 2015
Very busy work and long hours working with 12 hours shift.

This is a place I can perform, practice nursing skills to help patients to resume their function. Working and co-operating with other healthcare provider is a challenge sometimes.
Pros
good pay scale
Cons
physical and mantel heavy at times