Queen's University

Insights into Queen's University

Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

Excellent work environment

Plenty of scope for professional development. Highly collaborative workplace. Opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life. Supportive management.

Productive, collaborative workspace

This workplace is very self directed. You are responsible for knowing what to do and when. Other responsibilities include maintaining communication with professors and students. The professors are always there to support you and assist with any inquiries or difficulties that are met along the way.

Good working environment

Great and easy-going co-workers, great support staff. Lounge available and lots of on-campus and off-campus supporting resources for students, staff, faculty.

Great opportunity to mentor students in a well-paying, easy going atmosphere

Very rewarding and fulfilling opportunity that allows you to teach/tutor other stats students about course material. Great pay and easy going atmosphere.

Good pay, few hours

As a TA, the pay is great. However, you are provided with a limited amount of hours. Overall, it is a good environment and not overly onerous to balance with school.

Productive, inclusive and encourages creativity

Productive, inclusive and encourages creativity, people there are all nice and will try to help out as much as they can, they want you to excel and become your best.

Workplace with many learning opportunities

Can work your own hours so long as assignments are completed by specified deadlines. Learned great time management skills, teamwork, and elements of academia that allowed me to further my understanding of the field of education.

Professional and dynamic

Truly enjoy working for Queens. Hours are flexible. Staff is helpful and wonderful to work with. I learned how to put knowledge into words and explain material to a group of students.

Teaching Assistant

My work experience at Queen's was a great one. The course of instruction was clearly laid out and the instructor cared about the outcome and learning objectives of the course.

Fun place to work

The work environment is fun and rewarding. I felt like I was helping people everyday that I was there. I would recommend this work place to a friend.

Enjoyable workplace with strong faculty

I enjoyed working as a teaching assistant at Queen's University. I learnt quite a bit about a variety of academic subdisciplines. I also believe that this job enhanced by comprehension and writing skills. Working as a teaching assistant forces an individual to be able to speak effectively, be patient as well as learn to engage with a variety of student skillsets.

Good experience

Flexible hours, acquired practical and transferable skills, lots of variety in tasks - kept things interesting, compensation was fair, work at own pace

Great School

Great experience as a teaching assistant, the hours of work are reasonable for an undergraduate student. As a teaching assistant, I had the opportunity to become more comfortable with speaking in front of a group of people, and it was a great opportunity to get to know some professors better.

Graduate teaching assistant

Worked with students marking assignments, leading laboratory work, and delegating tasks to undergraduate teaching assistants

Queen's University Teaching Assistant

I had a positive experience working as a TA at Queen's University. The university is tight-knit; it supports its TAs and compensates them fairly. I received the training and support that I needed.

Amazing experience which helped me grow and develop a number of skills

A typical day as a Teaching Assistant (TA) entails that I review and respond to emails that may have been sent in by my students, schedule appointments with them and follow-up accordingly. I would plan the tutorial session for the tutorials that I led and then follow through accordingly in-class, adjusting when necessary. The most difficult aspect of being a TA is fermenting class discussion, but the most enjoyable part is when the class discussion picks up and fruitful conversation ensues.

Pros

Relaxed environment

Cons

Teaching courses while studying yourself

Awesome job, great peers and staff

-It gets very busy during office hours on the days before assignments are due. -Sometimes understaffed but at other times overstaffed.

Results oriented and ability to work in any location particularly in remote areas

Meticulous, Innovative, assertive, and goal oriented Mining Engineer excellent at juggling multiple tasks and working under pressure. Proven ability to manage personnel, maintains performance records and conduct annual appraisals

A good university

I learned a lot while working at Queen's University. I gained skills in experimental design and statistics. The laboratory was very friendly and the collaboration between co-workers enabled a professional environment. The hardest part of the job was to leave it because my co-workers became my friends and the projects became my source of knowledge.

Great University

Great university with TAships available for graduate students and post-docs.

Productive and collegial atmosphere

As a teaching assistant, I facilitated group discussions and taught undergraduate students in the areas of animal behaviour, and evolution.

Pros

Rewarding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Queen's University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement